Guaranteed Way To Improve Your Performance In Fp

79 replies to this topic

#21 IL MECHWARRIOR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:17 AM

What a bunch of fancy and hilarious statements.
You are like a bunch of padawans trying to explain master yoda how the force works.
Soon the real comp season will start and get streamed.
Go there and try to learn something.
The noobs get worse and worse cause they listen to the fancy theories you post here.
There is only 1 thing: meta.
Meta is high alpha pinpoint combined with MAP CONTROL.
Map control means hold and stand still in key points and peek from there. All the rest is puggy stuff

#22 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

View Postanonymous223, on 14 September 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

option 1)
go on comp queue, leaderboard, find the top 6 teams and ask some of them what to do

option 2)
faction play, leaderboards, merc pilots, find the top 20 and add them as friends, than ask them what to do.

never read suggestions written here and there: even 95% of the tier 1 pilots are a bunch of pugs: these posts here are full of noobs that tell other noobs, that are even more noob than them, to bring ******** builds. As a consequence, you get farmed.

Quick tip and quick summary:

Faction play
LASER BOATS (LL+ERML on heatgen or range quirked mechs) (example, black knight 6b 3ll+6erml xl350)
ERLL snipers (range and high mounts) (example, battlemaster 1g, banshee 3e)
2ERLL+2gauss snipers (ilya or black widow, if not, ctf 1x 3erll gauss)
2gauss+4 ermeds (firebrand, warhammer 6r)
................................and readapt every map..........................
you need 30 secs to change drop deck if you know what you are doing
Scouting
SRM spam (bushwaker 5srm6 fusion engine)
ac20+srm (cent ah xl)

what a nob

#23 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

View PostKoniving, on 16 September 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

And as a last thing, stats are meaningless. You can have fantastic stats by hiding in a corner.
What was the last useful thing anyone ever did while hiding in a corner?

A good way to determine skill is when they stop screwing around, as stats include all the fun they had, too. Here's a good example. 2 vs 1 in a trial mech before the current tier system, outmatched, outgunned, and in a bad place.
2 kills and I'm still alive to make more.

Fact is what is meaningful or meaningless is entirely subjective.

Do you want to win b/c you want to support your team or are you trying to win in spite of your team?
Are you looking get impressive stats because you think they equate to you "doing your part" or are you trying the eek out one more mechbay.

There are virtues and flaws to any/all of these motivations, especially since we are not all on the same page.

Not all of us are playing to win at all cost.
Some of us care more about fun than stats OR winning.
I know some will disagree with me...

But here we all are.

Edited by MovinTarget, 17 September 2017 - 06:41 AM.

#24 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

Someone finally gets it.

#25 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:43 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 16 September 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

Someone finally gets it.

But wich one?
The one finaly getting that this is game that should be about fun or the other one blurping stuff about meta and comp bs?

#26 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:23 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 16 September 2017 - 11:43 PM, said:

But wich one?
The one finaly getting that this is game that should be about fun or the other one blurping stuff about meta and comp bs?

Definitely the latter, as Commander A9 has always been about the winning

#27 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

View Postanonymous223, on 16 September 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

What a bunch of fancy and hilarious statements.
You are like a bunch of padawans trying to explain master yoda how the force works.
Soon the real comp season will start and get streamed.
Go there and try to learn something.
The noobs get worse and worse cause they listen to the fancy theories you post here.
There is only 1 thing: meta.
Meta is high alpha pinpoint combined with MAP CONTROL.
Map control means hold and stand still in key points and peek from there. All the rest is puggy stuff
how does standing still and poking win in FP? Are you telling me KCom sucks at FP cause they push and roll over the enemy? You hear that, PAt? Stop moving at us and pick a spot to poke from. I promise to walk towards ya.

5 minutes after the match ends........ ;)

#28 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

Winning in FP and scoring high damage are two different animals

F.P is probably the only mode where playing the objective is most important, on siege mode, fighting is only a means to that end.

#29 IL MECHWARRIOR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:41 PM

View PostKoniving, on 16 September 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

And as a last thing, stats are meaningless. You can have fantastic stats by hiding in a corner.
What was the last useful thing anyone ever did while hiding in a corner?

A good way to determine skill is when they stop screwing around, as stats include all the fun they had, too. Here's a good example. 2 vs 1 in a trial mech before the current tier system, outmatched, outgunned, and in a bad place.
2 kills and I'm still alive to make more.

if this is a good example, i am santa claus. this is worse than a full tier 5 pugs fight

#30 X T R E M E

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Someone knows if they have reopened the madhouse hospital ?

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

View Postanonymous223, on 22 September 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

if this is a good example, i am santa claus. this is worse than a full tier 5 pugs fight

You don't see that as a good example of having fun? What a shame. Perhaps you don't know what fun is.

#32 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

Haha Mr Anonymous is a Top Level player, currently in the MWOOC Semis.

So he does know what he's talking about and we've debated many things for hours. The play style isn't for everyone, I'll say that. However landing shots at 1000m+ accurate is what defines the average to the elite.

#33 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:26 AM

View Postanonymous223, on 14 September 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

Quick tip and quick summary:

Faction play
LASER BOATS (LL+ERML on heatgen or range quirked mechs) (example, black knight 6b 3ll+6erml xl350)
ERLL snipers (range and high mounts) (example, battlemaster 1g, banshee 3e)
2ERLL+2gauss snipers (ilya or black widow, if not, ctf 1x 3erll gauss)
2gauss+4 ermeds (firebrand, warhammer 6r)

All advice gratefully appreciated.

A couple of questions on the Black Knight you mention:
1. The BLK has lowish mounts. Wouldn't the GHR-5H with its higher mounts be better?
2. I tend to use LPLs instead of LLs, due to lower face time, higher DPS. You disagree with that strategy?
3. On the BLK, you must be using Standard Structure and not Endo?
4. On the BLK, I end up with a heat efficiency of 1.16. Seems low?

Edited by Appogee, 23 September 2017 - 12:36 AM.

#34 NILAOS

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts
  • LocationK-F jumping to battle

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:49 AM

I also highly recommend reviewing some very good articles, even if they are slightly dated, on MetaMechs. It's a good resource for playstyle & build advice.

#35 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:07 AM

The only good resource for playstyles is encountering as many teams as possible in CW/FP in the wild .
Then keep on your panties in the right way when something goes wrong and still have a cool enough head to deduce/extrapolate what the enemy did that much better to best you .

Like yesterday, when I saw a 228 10 man rolling over us oh-so-OP-clandudes with about 18 mechs or even less used ... impressive showcase of how to ride IS mechs liek a bunch of bawses, lasses ´n lads, I liked that .
*fetches wrench*

Metamechs is a doublesided blade ... while it gives some decent advise on builds and tactics it cannot teach one the mindset to adapt, keep improving and figuring out things for oneself to develop something like a "personal build/playstyle" that actually works .

Be aware, these are my opinions only, yours can differ hilariously

#36 NILAOS

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts
  • LocationK-F jumping to battle

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:48 AM

Very true, experience is the greatest way to improve in ability and play better. MetaMechs was very useful for me though as a beginner, helping me feel my way around what tends to work well together in a build, and how to use it best (I.e. not running LRM100 Atlas, not staying exposed in a 2xERPPC Blackjack, etc.). Use it as a guide, but the best way to get better is definitely to play FP. If you have the luck of dropping with a lance or so from a unit with a drop caller, listen to them. Let them know you're not experienced, but willing to follow the caller, and then stay quiet and listen. They'll share info, call primary targets, and you only need to follow their lead to learn.

#37 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

Yup,

Lots have tried to "learn from the greats" when in reality it's "Observe the greats, adapt to your circumstances (solo, potato comp, etc) and then hone/refine for a few thousand matches..."

FP =/= Comp b/c things change when you have 4 waves of 12 mechs vs one wave... where the loss of a wave may be merely a setup for the rest of the match and *not* tragic...

#38 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 September 2017 - 11:12 PM, said:

Haha Mr Anonymous is a Top Level player, currently in the MWOOC Semis.

So he does know what he's talking about and we've debated many things for hours. The play style isn't for everyone, I'll say that. However landing shots at 1000m+ accurate is what defines the average to the elite.

Nah, being able to land shots in a system that does NOT have instant convergence, and being able to exploit that for personal gain by firing around a corner and landing the shot, before the lag compensation, is skill.
Landing shots in the middle of a blizzard against a target without hud indicators, without thermal, is skill.
As such, skill. Note the ABSENCE of Armlock.

Hitting someone at a thousand + meters in a system with barely any bullet drop... not so impressive. Maybe in Arma on a server actually using wind shear and during a storm.

That said.. Skill is turning a fight where you ganged up on by multiple enemies around and coming out victorious... when even just one of them is an even match in terms of equipment. Or taking on an AC/40 Jager with just MGs, small pulses, and flamers before flamers did anything. Or killing two Atlases with exclusively flamers when all they did was 0.14 damage/sec. in a Jenner that travels less than 90 kph. Perhaps fighting out in the open, in a barrage of LRM fire, and taking out multiple lights while bunny hopping like mad.

In this game, anyone can pull off thousand+ meter shots with at least some accuracy. Thing is... is there much point to it other than wasting ammo to do significantly reduced damage per shot?

Skill is being able to take non-meta, and wipe the floor with people.
As such, PRE QUIRKS, PRE Ghost Heat... the Awesome 8Q with flamers.

It's playing with no HUD, and still nailing exclusively CT with a UAC/20 and LBX-20 combination.

...when you weren't even trying to do it.

It's taking an 88 ton Atlas, purposely gimped with a single ton of ammo per weapon, and still leveling most of the enemy team after the allies are dead.. while brawling out in the open.

It's being overwhelmed by enemy lights with most of the team wiped out, and holding out a base defense for 13 minutes without turrets and a base that could be captured in almost literally a single second.

It's doing good with 2 PPCs, 6 MGs, and a couple of Streak 2s in a King Crab against the then "overpowered" Kodiak (and others).

Ultimately, it's leading a team through the battlegrid, while fighting on the front line, as a DPS brawler, in the open, with no targets called out, with no genuine communication, and charging enemies until getting to point blank range despite a number of long range weapons with the primary weapons being a single LBX 10 and a single AC/2. Without a single friend in the field.

Edited by Koniving, 23 September 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#39 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 September 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

In this game, anyone can pull off thousand+ meter shots with at least some accuracy. Thing is... is there much point to it other than wasting ammo to do significantly reduced damage per shot?

Some accuracy? No - I'm talking pinpoint accuracy on the same component. Killing a Assault with sub-250 total damage dealt due to said pinpoint @ 1400m.

There is no "some" accuracy in long range engagements. There is accurate and there is spreading damage all over the place.

As for the rest of your post I dunno what you're talking about, I don't even think you play Faction Play?

#40 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 24 September 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

As for the rest of your post I dunno what you're talking about, I don't even think you play?

FTFY

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users