176 replies to this topic

#161 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:07 AM

The amount of salty tears because Clans didn't win yet another Event is funny and pathetic.

Not to mention the outright hypocrisy posted by some....

To bad cannot call them out.

#162 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:34 AM

I love that IS won, at the final hours no less. If you're that bothered by it, when everyone knew that win conditions for clan was 95+%, then next time you'll take off work etc. just like you used to do to ensure a victory. If not, then these are just words and while words mean things without action they mean nothing (the very same **** you guys say to PGI).

#163 Nickredace

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 39 posts
  • LocationIn my Direwolf...

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:50 AM

but you didn't win, both sides lost.

#164 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:31 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 18 October 2017 - 04:07 AM, said:

The amount of salty tears because Clans didn't win yet another Event is funny and pathetic.

Not to mention the outright hypocrisy posted by some....

To bad cannot call them out.

*too

#165 FallingAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 18 October 2017 - 02:47 AM, said:

Buck up lads, it's only a game and I'm sure the next "event" will be better laid out...... I hope Posted Image

We know the I.S. will never get an outright win.
So that leaves the tie as the only thing for the I.S. to shoot for.
I think PGI accidentally stumbled on asymmetrical tie win conditions that actually works (as long as the last phase is Oceanic)
I hope PGI doesn't change a thing (other than i want my mauler dammit) for the next event.

#166 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

IS 'won' by stalemate, because Clans can't attack the planet again.

Which means if this happens 2 more times, Clans 'lose' Season 1 by stalemate, which means IS 'wins' since they retain occupation of the planet.

I've never seen another videogame company try to spin the idea that two sides both won and lost at the same time and still keep a straight face-ever.

When those tactical results come out showing clear as day that Clans won more matches than they lost, but still lost the planet, PGI is going to look like buffoons if they don't already.

Just make the next competition count the total number of wins between sides and let THAT decide which Faction wins. Done!

#167 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 18 October 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

IS 'won' by stalemate, because Clans can't attack the planet again.

Which means if this happens 2 more times, Clans 'lose' Season 1 by stalemate, which means IS 'wins' since they retain occupation of the planet.

I wouldn't sweat it. Clan tech is still pretty superior to IS tech so enjoy it while you pilot it. (We just broke clan loyalty after three weeks and will be going IS loyal next week for some more easy goodie farming).

Maybe this is another way to balance the tech that they are trying out. First it was tonnage (they say they didn't do it for balance but they did). Now if IS wins because clans didn't win every match they can say "Look, IS held them back! Nothing wrong with the IS tech! Balance is great."

Edited by Lovas, 18 October 2017 - 03:19 PM.

#168 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

Don't worry, IS still has tons of seals pugs who will drop til there aren't anymore...

Now everyone knows that the Capitol events will not follow Tukayyid procedures, guess we get to see how people will step up for the next one instead of resting on their laurels.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 October 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#169 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:53 AM

IF the win condition was set as the total number of victories per side (and I agree that this makes sense) there would either need to be a parity in population numbers OR a handicap would have to be put in place to allow for the imbalance. If one side or the other has a population size great enough for "Ghost Drops" to happen means that they have an unfair advantage of having uncontested wins.

The current 'Tug-of-War' graphic could easily serve this purpose and it would only take PGI altering the position of the Win - Neutral - Win poditions, although I think we should also consider the status of both sides. Invaders SHOULD have a harder time capturing a planet compared to the defenders, who by definition already own the planet, it is ridiculous to say that the Invader only needs to capture 46% of the planet for it to switch to their ownership. Again this is something that could be used as a balance mechanic but something I don't have sufficient time to type out on my phone, I can feel a "FP Planetary Conquest mechanics" thread forming in my nether regions........ :o

#170 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:47 AM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 19 October 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

IF the win condition was set as the total number of victories per side (and I agree that this makes sense) there would either need to be a parity in population numbers OR a handicap would have to be put in place to allow for the imbalance. If one side or the other has a population size great enough for "Ghost Drops" to happen means that they have an unfair advantage of having uncontested wins.

The current 'Tug-of-War' graphic could easily serve this purpose and it would only take PGI altering the position of the Win - Neutral - Win poditions, although I think we should also consider the status of both sides. Invaders SHOULD have a harder time capturing a planet compared to the defenders, who by definition already own the planet, it is ridiculous to say that the Invader only needs to capture 46% of the planet for it to switch to their ownership. Again this is something that could be used as a balance mechanic but something I don't have sufficient time to type out on my phone, I can feel a "FP Planetary Conquest mechanics" thread forming in my nether regions........ Posted Image

All of this makes a lot of sense, yet you might as well spare your nether regions the trouble: We know for a fact by now that PGI has zero interest in addressing population imbalance.

Experience shows that a hypothetical dialogue would proceed as follows:

Community: "[Awesome proposal brought forward by 50 50 et al.]"
PGI: "Nah. Too much effort. Programming is hard. You live on an island. Buy a mech pack!"

#171 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:48 AM

Eh, I'm not too concerned. A last minute pull by Oceanic players is a surprise, but heck: the rulebook's there for everyone. Yes, it's asymmetric, but I think we've already established that the Clan's are going to win in any setting with parity.

I don't think the Clan sphere will be taken surprise of again, and you'll have people staying up late to ensure victory if the timing is similar.

#172 FallingAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

View PostCommander A9, on 17 October 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

This isn't about one side being good or better than the other, although if you want to throw THAT gauntlet, look us up on the Loyalist leaderboards and compare. Better yet, look at the map.

Getting back on subject, 6 hours into the competition on Day 1, Clans had the bar in their capture threshold.

A 4 day event that was over after 6 hours. Should have just ended the event right there.
Maybe next event PGI will make some changes so the competitive portion of the event last longer.Posted Image

My main complaint rests with the fact that the winning conditions were GROSSLY stacked against Clans, and by "draw" mechanics of Faction Warfare as they stand now, neither side "won," even though by denying a Clan capture, Inner Sphere won.

Winning conditions were GROSSLY stacked against Clan. I.S. The I.S. was never going to win. The I.S. wan never going to get the Mauler.

Oh wait, i won? Where's my Mauler dammit

View PostCommander A9, on 18 October 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Just make the next competition count the total number of wins between sides and let THAT decide which Faction wins. Done!

So the event would decided in the 1st hour?

Or are we going to magically balance Faction Warfare so both sides have an equal opportunity for a win?

#173 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 19 October 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

The current 'Tug-of-War' graphic could easily serve this purpose and it would only take PGI altering the position of the Win - Neutral - Win poditions, although I think we should also consider the status of both sides. Invaders SHOULD have a harder time capturing a planet compared to the defenders, who by definition already own the planet, it is ridiculous to say that the Invader only needs to capture 46% of the planet for it to switch to their ownership. Again this is something that could be used as a balance mechanic but something I don't have sufficient time to type out on my phone, I can feel a "FP Planetary Conquest mechanics" thread forming in my nether regions........ Posted Image

Ghost drops worth 1/4 or 1/8th of a 'win' for the planet cycle, though still count as 1 'win' for the unit in context of who gets the tag on the planet and the MC. This mitigates population advantage some (though it shouldn't be mitigated completely IMO) without shafting teams who play a lot and should earn tags.

In reality wins should be valued based on who you beat. Smashing pug teams (drunken redneck locals often in farm equipment mechs) really isn't helping take the planet. Smashing other teams (actual military defense force) should.

What FW has always needed is a sort of PSR (not the tier system, just the individual player point value) from which to determine your payout for winning/losing and also the relative change in the win bar.

Taking a planet defending by hordes of incompetent rednecks with shotguns is not a challenge - though you do have to shoot a LOT of rednecks. Taking a planet defended by an organized and coordinated military force is far more challenging but will involve fewer actual engagements. A pug team beating a 12man should make orders of magnitude more cbills than a 12man flattening a pug team.

Honestly? If KCom made more dunking objectives and smashing a match in 3 minutes than they did farming bads in their DZ after 3 disconnect immediately and the rest refuse to leave I suspect we would do more of the former and less of the later.

We also need tools for scouting to show us who is in queue on the other side and in matches and opt to wait for that match - for which we get paid more to play another good team.

Edited by MischiefSC, 19 October 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#174 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:53 PM

Mighty Dragon disappointed clanner dogs still talking about loss. Dear Coordinator plan whole operation flawlessly; allow mercenary pigs to land and absorb clan ammunition with their soft tissue, then send in brave samurai to fearlessly clear field and save Imperial Palace. Clans no match for glorious Bushido warriors.

Edited by ccrider, 19 October 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#175 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

View Postccrider, on 19 October 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

Mighty Dragon disappointed clanner dogs still talking about loss. Dear Coordinator plan whole operation flawlessly; allow mercenary pigs to land and absorb clan ammunition with their soft tissue, then send in brave samurai to fearlessly clear field and save Imperial Palace. Clans no match for glorious Bushido warriors.

Oh NKVA

echos of you haunt us still

like farts of old dog

Also cc, you forgot the anime/asian meme short clip at the end.

#176 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 October 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

Oh NKVA

echos of you haunt us still

like farts of old dog

Also cc, you forgot the anime/asian meme short clip at the end.
son of a.... You are correct, soon as I get on my computer I'll edit one in. Phone is less useful for memes. :)

#177 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users