Luthien Is Doomed

176 replies to this topic

#141 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts
  • LocationI came here to laugh at you.(^・ω・^)

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostRugbypig, on 17 October 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Well "we" were just "good enough"

You mean the mercs were good enough amirite?

It's not like 228 and other good groups carried the IS loyalists, totally not. :Y

#142 Rugbypig

• Pip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

Oh the irony of a "superior" clan member make mention of "mercenaries"
The lols, oh god "the lols"

Whine more please.

#143 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

Reading Commander A9's whine about not winning is quite cathartic.
This the same "special person" who stated "the inner sphere should get good".
Well "we" were just "good enough" so "suck it Trebeck, suck it long and suck it hard"

Just good enough when noone was online :) I am sure it was hard to beat CWI lurmers during normal daytime working hours for the rest of us. But who cares in the end? I got a billion in da bank, the myst lynx would be but a drop.

#144 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:14 PM

I'm not whining, i'm stating a fact.

Also as a former merc playing as a loyalist (went loyalist just because i got friends there <3) i will indeed admit that the majority of the loyalist playerbase have a subpar ingame performance compared to the mercs and thus get carried, be them Clan or IS.

I also didn't play mostly as IS on an alt during this event, totally not./s

So please, continue posting such snide remarks, keep on trying boi. :^)

Edited by TimberWolf87, 18 October 2017 - 04:42 AM.

#145 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostTerrorsdawn, on 17 October 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

In case anyone missed my point,

I am saying LORE MUST HAVE NO PLACE WHAT SO EVER IN ANY GAME DESIGN DECISIONS.

For Faction Play to ever work there must be true balance.

Leave lore to cosmetics and story telling.

Quoted for TRUTH. I'm gonna modify your post and add it to my signature.

#146 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

Reading Commander A9's whine about not winning is quite cathartic.
This the same "special person" who stated "the inner sphere should get good".
Well "we" were just "good enough" so "suck it Trebeck, suck it long and suck it hard"

This isn't about one side being good or better than the other, although if you want to throw THAT gauntlet, look us up on the Loyalist leaderboards and compare. Better yet, look at the map.

Getting back on subject, 6 hours into the competition on Day 1, Clans had the bar in their capture threshold.

It stayed there until 11am today-when NONE OF US were online to actually play and fight it out.

Had this competition ended in North American Primetime, I can guarantee you it'd have gone to Clans.

My complaint is about the fact that by current Faction Warfare mechanics both sides "lost," and if you'd actually taken the time to READ my post, you'd see I was advocating for IS to be awarded their Mauler for successfully 'winning' the planet by technicality of occupying force being Kurita by default...so I'd love to see IS be given their Mauler...

-unless you don't want it-

My main complaint rests with the fact that the winning conditions were GROSSLY stacked against Clans, and by "draw" mechanics of Faction Warfare as they stand now, neither side "won," even though by denying a Clan capture, Inner Sphere won.

So, Inner Sphere both won and lost, and so did Clans, but Inner Sphere reap the greatest rewards out of this. If this occurs two more times, "no one wins" becomes "Clans lose by stalemate since they can't attack a given capital world twice in one season."

If you're not frustrated by this fact by now, well...go play Faction Warfare all night long, only to have your fellow pilots lose match after match after match and cost your Faction the planet for the evening while your team does nothing but win-win-win. Then you'll know how WE feel over here.

If they had treated this competition like Tukayyid, when winning the planet required more than 50% towards one side (rather than 95% in favor of one side, and everything below that in favor of the other), it'd at least been a little more fair. Isn't that what everyone's complaining about? Fairness? Balance? You can't cherry-pick this! It's either fair and balanced, or it's not!

Even better, why not calculate total wins at the end of the competition, and have THAT decide who wins? That way, the TOTAL length of the time of a given competition goes towards contributing to the overall victory instead of just the final 60 minutes?

This competition was resolved when no major units were online to actually finish it through, not KCOM, not EVIL, not BCMC, HHOD, 12th Donegal, Skye Rangers, no one-NO ONE-was online to fight. How the hell is that fair to anyone?

Edited by Commander A9, 17 October 2017 - 08:35 PM.

#147 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:16 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 17 October 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

This isn't about one side being good or better than the other, although if you want to throw THAT gauntlet, look us up on the Loyalist leaderboards and compare. Better yet, look at the map.

Getting back on subject, 6 hours into the competition on Day 1, Clans had the bar in their capture threshold.

It stayed there until 11am today-when NONE OF US were online to actually play and fight it out.

Had this competition ended in North American Primetime, I can guarantee you it'd have gone to Clans.

My complaint is about the fact that by current Faction Warfare mechanics both sides &quot;lost,&quot; and if you'd actually taken the time to READ my post, you'd see I was advocating for IS to be awarded their Mauler for successfully 'winning' the planet by technicality of occupying force being Kurita by default...so I'd love to see IS be given their Mauler...

My main complaint rests with the fact that the winning conditions were GROSSLY stacked against Clans, and by &quot;draw&quot; mechanics of Faction Warfare as they stand now, neither side &quot;won,&quot; even though by denying a Clan capture, Inner Sphere won.

So, Inner Sphere both won and lost, and so did Clans, but Inner Sphere reap the greatest rewards out of this. If this occurs two more times, &quot;no one wins&quot; becomes &quot;Clans lose by stalemate since they can't attack a given capital world twice in one season.&quot;

If you're not frustrated by this fact by now, well...go play Faction Warfare all night long, only to have your fellow pilots lose match after match after match and cost your Faction the planet for the evening while your team does nothing but win-win-win. Then you'll know how WE feel over here.

If they had treated this competition like Tukayyid, when winning the planet required more than 50% towards one side (rather than 95% in favor of one side, and everything below that in favor of the other), it'd at least been a little more fair. Isn't that what everyone's complaining about? Fairness? Balance? You can't cherry-pick this! It's either fair and balanced, or it's not!

Even better, why not calculate total wins at the end of the competition, and have THAT decide who wins? That way, the TOTAL length of the time of a given competition goes towards contributing to the overall victory instead of just the final 60 minutes?

This competition was resolved when no major units were online to actually finish it through, not KCOM, not EVIL, not BCMC, HHOD, 12th Donegal, Skye Rangers, no one-NO ONE-was online to fight. How the hell is that fair to anyone?

Omg. IS wins by underhanded schemes in lore, and it pisses off clanners in lore. Is this kcoms version or roleplaying?

Edited by naterist, 17 October 2017 - 11:16 PM.

#148 A Shoddy Rental Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOn my Island, There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:06 AM

View Postnaterist, on 17 October 2017 - 11:16 PM, said:

Omg. IS wins by underhanded schemes in lore, and it pisses off clanners in lore. Is this kcoms version or roleplaying?

One hell of a roleplayer. The line about fair and balanced brought a tear to my eye. If only hollywood could write scripts like this.

#149 Terrorsdawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:25 AM

It's not fair but until PGI fixes the underlying problems with FW and ( I use the term loosely) Special Events we can't get people online to fight.

The first Tuk event had most of the COMA members pulling a hard full weekend to compete. People took short nap breaks at different times just so the team could keep fighting. Everyone was skipping classes, calling in sick to work, neglecting wives and children. Playing their asses off to be a part of something we all felt was special.

That's been lost with bad balance, minimal development and wild uncontrolled Merc population. All leading to massive player loss from the mode. Now we've been stock in the single bucket mode that is leading to further player loss. We can't even get a 2nd bucket to run a special event in so that each Faction can have a turn at special events.

I love the idea of this mode, I want ...... really want ..... to see it working like it should be, but PGI has got to start making something people want to play, not what PGI thinks we want.

Edited by Terrorsdawn, 18 October 2017 - 12:29 AM.

#150 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:03 AM

View PostTerrorsdawn, on 18 October 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

until PGI fixes the underlying problems with FW.

90 Days, guaranteed. :^)

#151 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:29 AM

IS successfully defended Luthien. IS should get the Mech.

Anyone but a hair-splitting lawyer would see it this way*.

* Is this what PC Gamer meant when they said "Fortunately, Ross (sic) Bullock is all about the little details"...?

#152 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:34 AM

View PostAppogee, on 18 October 2017 - 02:29 AM, said:

* Is this what PC Gamer meant when they said "Fortunately, Ross (sic) Bullock is all about the little details"...?

Most likely :Y

Also i agree on the Mauler part, i could use a second one on my alt... :U

#153 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:43 AM

IS successfully defended Luthien. IS should get the Mech.

Anyone but a hair-splitting lawyer would see it this way*.

We got a LOT of space lawyers up in here then.

#154 Clowns

Rookie

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:43 AM

"My main complaint rests with the fact that the winning conditions were GROSSLY stacked against Clans"

So it is stacked against the clans? LOL, read your own material. The issue is the game itself, the lack of balance, the lack of population controls, the lack of game mechanics that actually reward good play, etc....... etc.

View PostThe Nerf Bat, on 18 October 2017 - 12:06 AM, said:

One hell of a roleplayer. The line about fair and balanced brought a tear to my eye. If only hollywood could write scripts like this.

LOL!!! I love your work.

View PostTerrorsdawn, on 18 October 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

...until PGI fixes the underlying problems with FW...

View PostTimberWolf87, on 18 October 2017 - 02:03 AM, said:

90 Days, guaranteed. :^)

PGI keeps looking to its future and forgets to include the people that got them where they are now… its paying customers. Without our money, they can’t keep running off on its narcissistically driven campaigns to funnel 100% (less its salaries) our money which we (the community) we put into THIS GAME so PGI can build a new game to pad its wallets and retirement plans thus only to steal the monies of the MW5 customers to fund yet another game and their wallets.

PGI sounds a lot like Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC to me.

Edited by Clowns, 18 October 2017 - 02:44 AM.

#155 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:47 AM

For those complaining about the event ending when "no-one was online" I will say this, there was a mixed IS group playing well together and I came up against them a few times before having to log off and head to work. I can name the players I knew and others I recognised and I can be fairly certain they were grouped up.

As I was logging off I got an invite from a certain group of good Clan players, so I KNOW there was at least one Clan group running. Yes the system sucks as it stands and it has from the very beginning, I lost count of the number of planets that I have fought on and thought we were either holding it on defence or taking it on attack, to wake the next day and find that some group of NA players "snuck in while we were asleep" and "stole" it away. It's been the same since day 1 of CW.

As for the inadvertant "weighting" of the capture conditions, I believe this actually gave the IS a fighting chance considering the number of "good-high skilled" units and players that are on the Clan side, something tat has been acknowledged over and over and over and.... you get the point. The simple fact that Clan groups have to wait for drops versus IS getting almost insta-drops means there are more Clan players than IS players and if the tech is imbalanced then this weighting on the win conditions could be used as a further balance mechanic "if you want to be on the biggest, best team then you need to work harder for the victory".

BUT I acknowledge this wasn't stated in the events rules and recognise it as (yet another) oversight by PGI, so I can understand the (amusing) level of rage. Even if I disagree with it.

Buck up lads, it's only a game and I'm sure the next "event" will be better laid out...... I hope ;)

#156 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:50 AM

But PUG, this is PGI we're talking about... :Y

#157 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:51 AM

That's why I said "hope", the eternal optimist I am :D

#158 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:52 AM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 18 October 2017 - 02:47 AM, said:

=
and I'm sure the next "event" will be better laid out...... I hope Posted Image

Posted Image

#159 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:10 AM

My complaint is about the fact that by current Faction Warfare mechanics both sides "lost," and if you'd actually taken the time to READ my post, you'd see I was advocating for IS to be awarded their Mauler for successfully 'winning' the planet by technicality of occupying force being Kurita by default...so I'd love to see IS be given their Mauler...

My main complaint rests with the fact that the winning conditions were GROSSLY stacked against Clans, and by "draw" mechanics of Faction Warfare as they stand now, neither side "won," even though by denying a Clan capture, Inner Sphere won.

So, Inner Sphere both won and lost, and so did Clans, but Inner Sphere reap the greatest rewards out of this. If this occurs two more times, "no one wins" becomes "Clans lose by stalemate since they can't attack a given capital world twice in one season."

Both types of events used the Faction Play setup available at the time. When the first Tukayyid was played when the goal set by PGI had to be @ 51%+ and the event was kept updated on the website. Changing those parameters would not have made real sense, considering the parameters in lore so at that time PGI had no reason to change the future parameters of Tukayyid. And in lore Tukayyid and the Battle of Luthien had different victory parameters. For Luthien the Clans had to totally crush the DCMS and the attending merc units while the Clans would have continued their invasion with a simple weapon on Tukayyid .

Clan Goal: Possess an advantage in the Tug Of War bar upon conclusion of the Tukayyid Event.
Inner Sphere Goal: Possess an advantage in the Tug Of War bar upon conclusion of the Tukayyid Event.

For Tukayyid these were the parameters set by PGI with a bar set. Now did PGI use a sleight of hand by not making a more detailed announcement that win conditions would be based on the current Tug of War settings while setting up the event to end when it did, or are we giving them too much credit with them relying on the in-game announcements, etc?

With this though, it has set up the expectations for the next series of Capitol events.

/(cough, cough...) I think I am coming down with something, running a slight fever.. okay, okay, I hope I get to feeling better soon too.....

PS.. For the Battle of Luthien, the DCMS would have kept fighting til there were none left.

The Battle of Luthien reached its climax in the Kado-Guchi Valley, where twelve Inner Sphere regiments faced off against five Clan Galaxies. The Valley had become a massive killing zone. When the battle was over, hundreds of burning 'Mechs streaked the sky with smoke. The Clan force was defeated and the few Clan warriors that survived the battle were taken prisoner. Out of the two Nova Cat Galaxies only 40% remained operational,[24] and less than half of the Jaguars boarded their DropShips to withdraw.[37]

Of the two Kell Hound regiments that came to Luthien just over two battalions of 'Mechs remained operational. Wolf's Dragoons had arrived with five full regiments and had been reduced to two and a half. The Combine's six regiments had suffered similar damage, with the Genyosha and the 2nd Legion of Vega faring the best, with only fifty percent casualties. The reserve regiment had been hurt most with only three 'Mechs operational at the battle's end.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 October 2017 - 03:21 AM.

#160 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:31 AM

Um, we've been doing this literally for YEARS. Trying to take that tack isn't going to get you any sympathy from us over here.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users