- - - - -

I Can't Use Omnipods On Snv-1?

25 replies to this topic

#1 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

I have a supernova, but I don't see how you switch out omnipods as shown in this video?

It doesn't give me that option. Do I have to buy the other supernovas to do this? I'm asking because I want to make this mech (see list below), but I'll need to buy the adder D rather than prime if I understand correctly.
  • ADR-D Head
  • ADR-D Left Arm
  • ADR-PRIME Left Torso
  • ADR-D Center Torso
  • ADR-PRIME Right Torso
  • ADR-B Right Arm
  • ADR-D Left Leg
  • ADR-D Right Leg
  • ---------------------
Additional Structure Left Arm+6

Additional Structure Left Torso+12
Additional Structure Right Torso+12
Additional Structure Right Arm+6
Additional Structure Left Leg+16
Additional Structure Right Leg+16
Laser Duration-6%
Energy Weapon Heat Generation-15%
Heat Dissipation10%
Clan AMS Fire Rate10%
Energy Weapon Cooldown2%

Also what do these mean? Are they downgrades?
Acceleration45%
Deceleration45%
Turn Rate40%
Torso Yaw Speed40%

Used this website: http://snafets.de/mw..._v1_4_090_0.htm

Edited by gooddragon2, 23 October 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#2 Snegtag

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • LocationRochester NY

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

I believe the supernova is a batlemech so no omni pods but you can change the engine Also omni pods have to be for the mech so you can't put an Adder left arm on a Direwolf for example

Edited by Snegtag, 23 October 2017 - 12:27 PM.

#3 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

Correct, the Supernova is a Battlemech, so there are no omnipods to swap around.

Also, the version of the snafets page OP linked to is outdated. When in doubt regarding the current quirks on any given mech, consult the ingame store, and see the "Mech Stats" in the mech lab. It is a bit complicated...

Edited by Roland09, 23 October 2017 - 12:28 PM.

#4 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

View Postgooddragon2, on 23 October 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

I have a supernova, [...] I'm asking because I want to make this mech [lots of ADDER omnipods] [...]

Even in case of Omnimechs, where you can swap around omnipods, you will never be able to swap omnipods between mech models. So, no mounting an Adder arm on a Timberwolf.

View Postgooddragon2, on 23 October 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Also what do these mean? Are they downgrades?
Acceleration45%
Deceleration45%
Turn Rate40%
Torso Yaw Speed40%

These were boni, i. e. the Adder in question used to accelerate 45% faster than a comparable mech of that weight with the same engine. This is now obsolete, and handled via the skill tree.

Edited by Roland09, 23 October 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#5 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

The Supernova is a Clan Battlemech not an Omnimech.
Only Omnimechs can switch omnipods and their harpoints, but suffer from the downside of hardcoded core installments like structure and engine type.
Battlemechs have hardcoded hardpoints but may use different armor, engine and structural enhancements.

An Omnimech may use all omnipods of its chassis. So a Timberwolf may use all Timbi omnipods but no vulture or other omnipods.
Some Omnipods come with hardcoded equipment like in the case of the timbi the hard wired jumpjets in some cases and the structure or armor slots in other cases.

Edited by The Basilisk, 23 October 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#6 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,589 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 23 October 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

The Supernova is a Clan Battlemech not an Omnimech.
Only Omnimechs can switch omnipods and their harpoints, but suffer from the downside of hardcoded core installments like structure and engine type.
Battlemechs have hardcoded hardpoints but may use different armor, engine and structural enhancements.

An Omnimech may use all omnipods of its chassis. So a Timberwolf may use all Timbi omnipods but no vulture or other omnipods.
Some Omnipods come with hardcoded equipment like in the case of the timbi the hard wired jumpjets in some cases and the structure or armor slots in other cases.

Yep, but to use the pods of the hero Variant of the Mech, you need to buy first the Hero Variant , right?

#7 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

Yes.

#8 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

Okay, so then the plan is:
1 - Buy the Adder D variant
2 - Put in the relevant omnipods
3 - ???
4 - Profit.

EDIT: Will have to get adder b right arm instead of CN.

Edited by gooddragon2, 23 October 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#9 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

Well, yes.

Keep in mind that Adders are fairly slow and big for light mechs, however they do pack a nice punch. But, being light mechs, they don't stand up that well to incoming fire. You may want to adjust your play style accordingly, i. e. stay around the big guys, shoot what they shoot, and then move to cover (behind the big guy).

#10 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

View PostShadey99, on 22 October 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

The differences between omnimechs and battlemechs (in MWO) is that battlemechs have fixed hardpoints, but everything else is customizable. While Omnis can switch out pods to customize hardpoints, but they have both fixed equipment and locked engine/armor options/internal structure.

Will this affect my ability to put 3 cer Large lasers on the adderbomination I make?

#11 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

Well, hm. You just need to get omnipods with 3 energy hard points in total, while the Adder-D originally has 2.

This means you will lose the set-of-8 bonus from the Adder-D, i. e. the nice 10% energy cooldown quirk. You may want to take a look at the Adder-B instead, installing the Adder-D arm?

#12 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

View PostRoland09, on 23 October 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

Well, hm. You just need to get omnipods with 3 energy hard points in total, while the Adder-D originally has 2.

This means you will lose the set-of-8 bonus from the Adder-D, i. e. the nice 10% energy cooldown quirk. You may want to take a look at the Adder-B instead, installing the Adder-D arm?

Adder B says it has 10% lbx cooldown, and 5% ballistic cooldown, but only 2% energy cooldown.

Oh, I see what you mean.

I'm not so much interested in the range as heat reduction. I'm sort of sniping as an option, but more like skirmishing at a good distance.

Basically the logic is:
Snipers are viewed as dangerous targets to be harassed and shot at
Brawlers are up in your face
But light mech skirmishers might be ignored

Edited by gooddragon2, 23 October 2017 - 01:48 PM.

#13 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

If it absolutely has to be an Adder, try an Adder-B (with the -D left arm), install 5x CMPL and as many heat sinks as will fit (16 in total?), skill for laser duration, range and heat. Should give you a 35 damage alpha at around 370 m range, burn duration of ~ 0,75 s, cooldown ~ 2,75 s. You should be able to fire 3 alphas before needing to cool down.

Edited by Roland09, 23 October 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#14 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

View PostRoland09, on 23 October 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

If it absolutely has to be an Adder, try an Adder-B (with the -D left arm), install 5x CMPL and as many heat sinks as will fit (16 in total?), skill for laser duration, range and heat. Should give you a 35 damage alpha at around 370 m range, burn duration of ~ 0,75 s, cooldown ~ 2,75 s. You should be able to fire 3 alphas before needing to cool down.

It has to be 3 CER Large Lasers on a light mech with spectacular heat management. Adder just seems to be the best option that I can see.

EDIT: Unless there's some meta reason I'm not seeing (like mechs tending to be moving around faster or something).

EDIT2: Also, don't pulse lasers have a lower ghost heat allowance of simultaneously fired weapons than regular lasers? (Guess not, just checked with supernova in mechlab)

Edited by gooddragon2, 23 October 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#15 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

5x CMPL will not create ghost heat, but 3x CERLL will. As per smurfy's, you are looking at 37,2 heat vs. 23,75 heat per alpha, while carrying fewer heat sinks in total with the CERLL build (oops).

(At least for me), the main difference is in burn duration, however.

#16 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

[ ] 3 Clan ER Large
[ ] Spectacular heat management
[x] Light mech

You will only achieve 2 of them in this case, and the Light option is already ticked.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 23 October 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#17 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 23 October 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

[ ] 3 Clan ER Large
[ ] Spectacular heat management
[x] Light mech

You will only achieve 2 of them in this case, and the Light option is already ticked.

Yeah you guys have a point. I just don't like getting in close to brawl like that. I'm not a good pilot. I just want a nice relaxing game:

However I found something interesting:
  • MLX-A Head
  • MLX-A Left Arm
  • MLX-A Left Torso
  • MLX-A Center Torso
  • MLX-A Right Torso
  • MLX-A Right Arm
  • MLX-A Left Leg
  • MLX-A Right Leg
  • MLX-A Full Set
Additional Armor Left Arm+24

Additional Structure Left Torso+10
Additional Structure Right Torso+10
Additional Armor Right Arm+24
Additional Structure Left Leg+12
Additional Structure Right Leg+12
Clan AMS Range10%
Energy Weapon Cooldown25% <---This is interesting
Clan AMS Fire Rate20%
Heat Dissipation15%
Clan MG Fire Rate25%
XP-Bonus2.5%
Acceleration60%
Deceleration60%
Turn Rate45%
Torso Yaw Speed40%

25% plus almost 10% with nodes is 35% shorter laser cooldown. With 2 CER large lasers on such a low cooldown it might be like firing 3 of them in some ways. Especially with the heat dissipation involved. I'd have to remove the jump jets and an extra ton from somewhere, but it'd be pretty nice.

If that doesn't work, I suppose I could go with that medium pulse laser build you mentioned and just find some way to pilot better.

EDIT: Considering that I just got 4 kills with my supernova (and the match somehow ended at 10 rather than 12 kills), I might not need to go for a lighter mech. Dunno.

Edited by gooddragon2, 23 October 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#18 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

Omnimechs come with a lot of 'locked' components so you will find you can't remove items like the jump jets to get some extra tonnage for weapons. You also cannot change things like the internal structure, armour or heat sink types or the engine on an Omnimech.

Smurfy mech lab is pretty good for trying to work out some of the builds
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

Problem with the light mech will be the lack of available tonnage to either put in the weapons you want or to have adequate heat management.

The adder or kitfox as slower light mechs might give you the most flexibility in this regard.
the kit fox has the added advantage of jumpjets and an ecm if you swap pods around.

Just a small note, if you are looking for the c-bill bonus for the hero variant, it will only ever be on the hero as it's linked to the center torso.
That means that even if you swap the arms, legs and side torsos onto another mech, it will not inherit the c-bill bonus as well.
For a battlemech like the Supernova it has no omnipods so you can never swap the arms and legs etc. This goes for the clan IIC mechs and a few other battlemechs they have. Check them out in smurfy first or ask about if you are not sure.

#19 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

Do not look Clan mechs by quirks, most have little to none and they mean nothing.

Look for hardpoints, available tonnage (with omnis as the engine and upgras are fixed each have certain amount of pod space/tonnage) and hardpoint locations.

All omnimechs are expensive, so you don't want to take a Mist Lynx as among your first omnimechs, as the benefit of omnimechs are the ability to take different hardpoints from different pods to have different kinds of loadouts, but Mist Lynx doesn't have the tonnage to take significantly different loadouts. So the price versus flexibility is not good enough.

Most omnimechs actually as played don't have their 8/8 quirks as most people run them with mixed pods to make best loadouts.

By playing different classes and different kinds of mechs you learn to play better different kinds of situations.

Adder is okay mech but it's untimately only light. Kit Fox and Mist Lynx are far more difficult to excel. From mediums Hunstman can bring you good SRM platform to try, or to fall back to ERL or ERM if you find SRMs too challenging yet.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 24 October 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#20 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:59 PM

Copypasta:

"Yeah, I've found that my supernova with the 6 cerLLAS is about as good as it's going to get for now. Maybe thinking of a light mech with an energy cooldown and just putting 2 CER LLAS on that."

That way I'm covered for light and assault mechs. Maybe some combination of cooldown (not heat dissipation) quirks and 3 CER LLAS on a medium and 4 on a heavy.

Edited by gooddragon2, 24 October 2017 - 08:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users