What Is The Best Single Slot Gpu?

87 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

hey, I have the dell inspiron 660s https://www.cnet.com...-gb-1-tb/specs/ <-- link to specs. I was wondering what gpu would be the best for this computer. I was looking at the gt 1030 and 700 line up. I need help!

Skip to last page to see the final conclusion...

Edited by Commander Taylor, 04 August 2018 - 11:40 AM.

#2 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

<looks at the specs>

...hooo boy...

The two things that jump out at me are:

1) This is a "slimline" case
2) Assuming you have done no other mods, this is still on integrated graphics...

...I haven't even mentioned that it is a 7 year old computer...

So the first point is important because the computer case may have room for a full gaming video card so you would be limited to small form cards (if at all!)

The second is equally challenging. Since your computer was not built with a dedicated GFX card, it is very likely that the stock power supply will simply not have enough juice for an additional component.

Before you you give up though... they *might* be hope: The 1050Ti...

This card can often be found in short/small/compact sizes *and* it is designed to not require additional power directly from the PSU. All power is drawn via the motherboard. These cards were around $120 last I checked and they certainly can run MWO.

BUT WAIT! As I mentioned, your machine is 7 years old... I don't even know if it has the right type of coonections...

So if you can use this card, it might be the best bet.

#3 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

even at the best of times, its likely to struggle, only being a dual core @ 2.9 ghz ... so even if you got in, and playing ... theres going to be times, when your in a world of hurt, because between any version of windows and MWO your going to be thin on memory, which will lead to the page file, and keep getting worse from there ....

the linked info page makes no mention of any PCIE slots .... and your going to need at least one ... so before you think much further about any of the rest of it, you had better open her up and take a look ... if its not there, its pretty much non negotiable ....

in Australia, I would replace this box for under $500 (with a good chunk of improvement), probably half that figure in other places in the world, and that's not even scratching the bottom of the barrel, but you would still need a graphics card on top of that .... and MovinTarget above has probably already pointed at the best mix of cheap/powerful/possible ...

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:14 AM

http://www.tomshardw...rd-upgrade.html

http://www.tomshardw...piron-660s.html

The Inspiron 660s default power supply, is a 220w unit, not a 300w.

Question, are you currently playing MWO on that system and if so, what is your FPS (F9) in a drop right before it hits the fan and then during it, and in the testing grounds on various maps ?

The Inspiron 660s default power supply, is a 220w unit, not a 300w.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 October 2017 - 03:22 AM.

#5 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:46 AM

IF (and that is a big IF) it is possible to modify this machine, the slimline MSI and Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti cards are the best option.

My qualms are with the way Dell has arranged the inside of the machine and stuffed their dumb custom ventilation baffle in. Oh, and also the fact that a 7 year-old machine will have an equally old PSU, which may not even be able to output enough power anymore let alone be able to handle the stress for long periods of playing MWO.

The very obviously better idea would be to replace the machine outright. A GTX 1050 Ti may help out a decent amount, but at the end of the day this thing is going to be SEVERELY bottlenecked by its CPU.

#6 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:33 AM

W00T xWiredx agreed with my 1050Ti small form recommendation (with all the caveats)...

Its like I am actually figuring this crap out! :D

#7 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 24 October 2017 - 04:46 AM, said:

The very obviously better idea would be to replace the machine outright. A GTX 1050 Ti may help out a decent amount, but at the end of the day this thing is going to be SEVERELY bottlenecked by its CPU.

I can attest that I'm playing the game on medium-high graphics with a 1050Ti w/ a 4th Gen i7. You could probably put together a 5th gen I5 build with a 1050Ti and an SSD (important!) for around $600 - or at least buy one for around $500 and pop the 1050Ti in...

Like he said be mindful of the tiny cases as they may not have room for a graphics card.

Heck, I just found this on the NewEgg refurb circuit:
https://www.newegg.c...=9SIAAJ26JG5410

only $200! could easily add RAM, 500GB SSD and a 1050Ti and keep the price around $500

Edited by MovinTarget, 24 October 2017 - 06:48 AM.

#8 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 23 October 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

even at the best of times, its likely to struggle, only being a dual core @ 2.9 ghz ... so even if you got in, and playing ... theres going to be times, when your in a world of hurt, because between any version of windows and MWO your going to be thin on memory, which will lead to the page file, and keep getting worse from there ....

the linked info page makes no mention of any PCIE slots .... and your going to need at least one ... so before you think much further about any of the rest of it, you had better open her up and take a look ... if its not there, its pretty much non negotiable ....

in Australia, I would replace this box for under $500 (with a good chunk of improvement), probably half that figure in other places in the world, and that's not even scratching the bottom of the barrel, but you would still need a graphics card on top of that .... and MovinTarget above has probably already pointed at the best mix of cheap/powerful/possible ...

yes, there is a pcie x16 slot. I have installed the amd visiontek hd 6350 with 1gb of ddr3 memory.
tarl cabot, my fps is currently sitting at 15 to 20. on the good days only. I have also not had ANY problems with the psu being at 220 watt even though it is a BIG gamble.
And too all of you, the inspiron 660s has only one spot for a gpu, the dell motherboard has one pcie x16 slot that is on the top of the pc to I cannot add any dual slot gpu's.
I did find a refurbished pc here: https://www.ebay.com...-/162716173857? It has two pcie x16 slots and a 240 watt psu.
thank you for all your help and suggestions.

#9 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

honestly, if anyone can find a gpu or computer under 200$(the computer would not require a gpu but an os would be needed) than that would be great, as you can tell... I am an ultra buget kinda guy so thankyou for all your help!

#10 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

That's what I'm saying, the 1050Ti cards are affordable, low energy, and come in compact forms. If it can co PCIe x16 then it would be your best best...

It will *help* but MWO is rather CPU bound so you will still be limping allowing, just at a better fps...

The nice thing about the 1050Ti if it works for your machine is you can use in a future build...

#11 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

I suggest combing craigslist or ebay. You can pick up ivy bridge and sandy bridge prebiluilts for under 200 all day long and most will likely come with some type of gpu. Being a bro here pal, your computer isnt worth wasting a dime on, esp if you want to play mwo.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:35 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 24 October 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

That's what I'm saying, the 1050Ti cards are affordable, low energy, and come in compact forms. If it can co PCIe x16 then it would be your best best...

It will *help* but MWO is rather CPU bound so you will still be limping allowing, just at a better fps...

The nice thing about the 1050Ti if it works for your machine is you can use in a future build...

EXACTLY this.

The 1050 Ti is actually a pretty excellent card for the "less than $200" crowd, especially when it comes to small form-factor systems. My girlfriend has one in her system (she wanted me to put the money toward the mortgage instead of upgrade her GTX 750... HAHA no) and it does well with Black Desert Online and WoW at 1080p. OP - there is no better option than this. If you already have a dedicated GPU in there that magically fits in the case, a 1050 Ti will be a suitable and easy replacement.

#13 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:59 AM

I just don't know how it would do with PCIe x16, thats where my knowledge drops off... but if xWiredx says it'll work then that is pretty encouraging...

Also, GD I hate it when I don't see all my misspellings until I'm quoted... >.<

Edited by MovinTarget, 25 October 2017 - 05:00 AM.

#14 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

(this is all nvidia cards) I did some researching for a few hours and found that the gt 710 runs at 954 mhz and only requires 19 watts of power, 200mhz faster than the gt 720 and 50mhz faster that the 730. is the 710 a good idea? and is it even fast enough for mwo at least fully lowered settings at a solid 25fps! I may also upgrade the processor to the intel i3-2120 which is at 3.33ghz

Edited by El Desafiador, 25 October 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#15 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostEl Desafiador, on 25 October 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

(this is all nvidia cards) I did some researching for a few hours and found that the gt 710 runs at 954 mhz and only requires 19 watts of power, 200mhz faster than the gt 720 and 50mhz faster that the 730. is the 710 a good idea? and is it even fast enough for mwo at least fully lowered settings at a solid 25fps! I may also upgrade the processor to the intel i3-2120 which is at 3.33ghz

I don't think a 710 is good enough. I3 are Dual Core meaning that maybe... *MAYBE* if you are not doing anything else on the PC while playing MWO, you could get notable improvement, but that's a big *IF*

Both are bandaids that offer no forward growth where, if you can run a 1050Ti it would still be a viable card for a few years...

#16 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

the 1050 is a very good card but is essentially a no go for me because it is dual slot/what is the best card to get an easy 20-25 fps. or really anything better than the amd 6350... the 6350 is only a 650mhz card. are there any amd gpus that are single slot and low power that will work for mwo?

And... I do not ever have anything up other than mwo, just to get that extra few fps!

https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1 is the gt 710 that I will get...

Edited by El Desafiador, 25 October 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#17 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

I dunno if its on the market yet but...

https://www.anandtec...rce-gtx-1050-ti

#18 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

wow movintarget! GOOD FIND! I will buy it when it comes out!!! Thankyou so much, out of all the research i've done I've never seen this post.

I looked into it and found that it is unavailable in the us yet, I'll get it when it's here in the us.

Edited by El Desafiador, 25 October 2017 - 02:39 PM.

#19 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B009RE8AVQ

Okay, removed links as those cards were one slot but not low profile. So at the most a card will have at most two connectors right next to each other.

Posted Image

Press in on the fan shroud and lift it to release the tabs that secure the fan shroud tothe processor fan and heat-sink assembly.

At the 3:55 minute mark
https://youtu.be/nIbNahYo7kU

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 October 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#20 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

Hmm... well, the way it -looks- it's technically a dual-slot but probably needs a low-profile card. The pictures I can find show a second slot exists and is simply blocked with a plate that has a hole shaped like a + in it. That should be easily removable.

The only other problem I can see with a dual-slot card is that ventilation baffle, which honestly can be removed without much hesitation. Functionally, it isn't doing much. You would probably get better CPU cooling performance out of replacing the thermal paste (or rather, what is left of the thermal paste... probably some dry, cracked, totally ineffective crap at this point) with some Thermal Grizzly or MX-4.

The reason I am still on this train of thought? Easy. The single-slot versions of the 1050 Ti are hard to get. They're not sold in US markets, only European, Chinese, and Japanese markets. You'll probably end up paying a premium for one as a result.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users