#41 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:02 PM

View PostMcHoshi, on 26 October 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

You really don´t want to have a new GPU for this game because this game is bound to raw CPU power. Get yourself a good Intel Cpu and you are fine to run this game smooth as hell. ( i am using an old amd setup and it´s lagging as hell sometimes ). Posted Image

Right now he is running off the integrated Intel GPU on the CPU.

#42 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostMcHoshi, on 26 October 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

You really don´t want to have a new GPU for this game because this game is bound to raw CPU power. Get yourself a good Intel Cpu and you are fine to run this game smooth as hell. ( i am using an old amd setup and it´s lagging as hell sometimes ). Posted Image

If you don't want your framerates to tank during a heated battle while you have particles set to high, then you definitely need a good gpu as well. A good cpu is necessary for the physics and stuff though.

#43 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

does anyone know the minimum mhz to get 20-30 fps for mwo?

#44 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

View PostEl Desafiador, on 27 October 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

does anyone know the minimum mhz to get 20-30 fps for mwo?

I first played MWO on a 2.8 GHZ I7 laptop with built-in ATI graphics and I would get around 20FPS @1080p with everything turned to low. I would recommend at least an I5 3+GHZ with a modern GPU.

#45 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

Mk thx!

#46 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

Possible 300watt PSU replacement, if you are not going to build a new one.

https://www.ebay.com...9829?rmvSB=true

#47 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:16 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 27 October 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Possible 300watt PSU replacement, if you are not going to build a new one.

https://www.ebay.com...9829?rmvSB=true

I got a 650W EVGA for a decent price on Newegg, Gold rated and full modular. I have been building PCs since the early 90s and I can't tell you how much I appreciate modular PSUs, modding them manually is such a pain.

Edited by Ed Steele, 27 October 2017 - 11:16 PM.

#48 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:24 AM

ya know what sucks guys, the psu I have is not that shape or size at all: https://sc01.alicdn....XXq6xXFXXXO.jpg
sorry, I thought I that I might be able to find a new one that is the same size But no, dell decides to go all CUSTOM PSU on me and not offer a higher wattage PSU that is the same size. Dell claims you can fit the amd 7570 rated at 60w into the computer: http://www.game-deba...eon%20HD%207570 http://en.community....3514/t/19513607. So I should be fine with a 30 watt gpu.

Edited by El Desafiador, 28 October 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#49 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

The pic you showed is not the important piece. End part with that slight drop does not matter.

And several mfg used that compatible PSU with some of the difference, many did not have the rear support flange. What really matters is the available power connectors then how it interfaces with the backplate. The other differences is the Dell one has that green bulb under the power connector while others did not.

With that said, consider the amount of money you had intended to spend for the GPU, CPU and possibly PSU then consider putting that towards a non-Slim/low profile setup. Many who upgraded and mentioned doing so with their 660s did so without much information. Found a reference where a player moved the motherboard to another case allowing them to add a 450watt PSU and allowed him to use ZOTAC GTX 1050ti 4GB

https://steamcommuni...34299546252881/

A youtube video where the PSU was noted to have been upgraded in the 660s.

Again, this is all based on how far you want to go, but take your time. Measure twice, cut once Posted Image

Spoiler

This is a better look at the insides of the 660s
Spoiler

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 October 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#50 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

I feel very uncomfortable with upgrading my psu, I think I may just buy a whole new computer. thx though!

#51 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

View PostEl Desafiador, on 28 October 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

I think I may just buy a whole new computer.

Posted Image

Really, I know the thought of this hurts, but you can come out ahead by getting something not new, but newer than what you are running.

Look at NewEgg refurb machines running a 3rd Gen I5 or better (with Win7 if you are lucky!), budget in $160 for a 1050Ti card (pay attention to the size of the machine's chassis for this!) and a 250-500GB SSD.

Even if you are running with stock 4GB RAM you'll be hitting 50-60+ FPS with MWO with everything set to low.

Edited by MovinTarget, 28 October 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#52 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

^^^ x2!!!!

With that said, in the future upgrading or replacing a PSU should not make you uncomfortable. From personal experience I have had to replace more PSU either due to it dying (usually the 3.3v line) while simply upgrading three or so for a total of approximately a baker's dozen or so. Memory generally upgraded though suspected several being unstable, with about a handful that were bad. I have never had to replace a motherboard (knock on every piece of wood ) while the GPU I have only had two die on me over the last 30 years, but upgraded many others.

View PostEl Desafiador, on 28 October 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

I feel very uncomfortable with upgrading my psu, I think I may just buy a whole new computer. thx though!

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 October 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#53 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 October 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

^^^ x2!!!!

With that said, in the future upgrading or replacing a PSU should not make you uncomfortable. From personal experience I have had to replace more PSU either due to it dying (usually the 3.3v line) while simply upgrading three or so for a total of approximately a baker's dozen or so. Memory generally upgraded though suspected several being unstable, with about a handful that were bad. I have never had to replace a motherboard (knock on every piece of wood ) while the GPU I have only had two die on me over the last 30 years, but upgraded many others.

I make it a point not to skimp on my PSU, since your whole PC relies on a stable power source. You really should never buy a PSU that is not at least Gold rated.

#54 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:57 PM

yer put 1080ti in there and an EXT pwr supp.... duh

something that does not require additional pwr - I would Not spend more than $150 on that system

start ANEW! when the heavens rain down upon YOU!

BTW teh Ryzens are cheap and powefull!

Edited by Bolter01, 28 October 2017 - 09:57 PM.

#55 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 28 October 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

I make it a point not to skimp on my PSU, since your whole PC relies on a stable power source. You really should never buy a PSU that is not at least Gold rated.

Agreed a quality high watt PSU is the ducks guts to start a system. I had a TT tough power 1000w for 3 yrs, blew one night during a storm and Thermaltake replaced imediately with a 1200w gg o7

#56 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

View PostBolter01, on 28 October 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

Agreed a quality high watt PSU is the ducks guts to start a system. I had a TT tough power 1000w for 3 yrs, blew one night during a storm and Thermaltake replaced imediately with a 1200w gg o7

1200W is insane! Do you run SLI 1080s and 6 HDDs in RAID 0+1 or something? Fun fact, a 1KW+ PSU can actually generate a powerful enough magnetic field to make you sterile (if you sit on your computer for a very long time).

Edited by Ed Steele, 28 October 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#57 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 28 October 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

True, when building them yourself or when replacing the mfg PSU on a prebuild, not just my own but relatives. Even then I had one machine where I had to RMA two PSU which had failed within 6 month period. The last one has been good and has held up for over 10 years on a now backup system.

And as noted, what I had previously noted are the components I have had to replace, either for my own systems' or relatives/friends.

Have a funny story though. The laundromat owner was about to trash his system because it would not power up. He even double checked the power cord was plugged in the system and that the power outlet actually had power. He then moved it back to the other side of the office to use that outlet but no go.... He had inadvertently flipped the black power switch on the PSU while moving it around but did not realize or remembered there was a switch there ....I flipped the switch and booted right up... Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 29 October 2017 - 08:42 AM.

#58 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:56 AM

Just keep your eyes peeled for a i5 with a decent case that someone who is in your shoes is selling. People will keep there GPU and move it to the next computer which is $500 savings off the rig if it was a 1080 or something supa fly.

But finding a decent, newer Mobo (stay Intel unless it Ryzen and even then *shutter* not good for MWO), case and CPU would be a huge leg up for you. Even if you later upgrade to things like and SSD, faster RAM, more POWER (PSU) and better GPU.

I suugest a 10 series Nvidia GPU whatever you can afford. 4GB is great for most game on the GPU side (more always better) but you wanna run around 3.5hz on your CPU or more. Closer to 4.0 you get then even better. A lot of people will go crazy with the PSU as well, 1000x or more is really unneccesary for most modern system. I run a i7 4770k at 4.2hz with a 1070gtx w/ 8GB (see sig) and i found a nice gold rated 750 EVGA supernova that does me just fine. My system take a max of 585x and i run 747w constant. But like other said go gold rater or better if it something that gonna be lots of juice often.

You can get away on laptops and small internet machines with silver and bronze rated, cheaper PSU's but i dont trust em on anything i care about.

Edited by Revis Volek, 29 October 2017 - 09:00 AM.

#59 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 29 October 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

True, when building them yourself or when replacing the mfg PSU on a prebuild, not just my own but relatives. Even then I had one machine where I had to RMA two PSU which had failed within 6 month period. The last one has been good and has held up for over 10 years on a now backup system.

And as noted, what I had previously noted are the components I have had to replace, either for my own systems' or relatives/friends.

Have a funny story though. The laundromat owner was about to trash his system because it would not power up. He even double checked the power cord was plugged in the system and that the power outlet actually had power. He then moved it back to the other side of the office to use that outlet but no go.... He had inadvertently flipped the black power switch on the PSU while moving it around but did not realize or remembered there was a switch there ....I flipped the switch and booted right up... Posted Image

Yeah, I used to do telephone tech support and you would be surprised by how many people would call up screaming that their device was not working and then after I asked them if it was plugged in, they would say no.

Also, I had to repair a PC for a family friend who had a very dusty home and his PSU fan had seized up from all the dust and the PSU regulators burnt up, so I had to replace the PSU and stretch a piece of pantyhose over the fan opening to filter out the dust (yeah it works).

#60 Commander Taylor

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users