#81 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

View PostCommander A9, on 04 November 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

Could bring back Long Tom and have it drop on the spawn points if they're being camped - if PGI is REALLY that desperate. XD

Even if it was, it won't stop it, because then the 'farmers' will just pick a grid in view of the spawn and put fire on the spawn from there.

I think the irony of that was the Long Tom would actually hit the dropzones due to how the algorithm works.

It was actually worse for the players that just spawned since sometimes they are in the actual window that the Long Tom drops (they have no control other than to immediately explode while dropping onto the ground - it was such a HUGE bonus for the spawn camping team.

Edited by Deathlike, 05 November 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#82 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

View PostStrange Love, on 04 November 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

Negative ... because the lobby also give the option to drop solo . if pgi change that fw is only group mode . ill be cool with that
then only then Problem solved .. for now pugs, solo , groups all together .. not good dude

No you don't get it. Just because you are allowed to drop solo, doesn't mean not working as a team or bringing decent builds is encouraged or should be encouraged in a team game. Making it different would be like twelve year olds deciding to fit their play baseballs should be bigger, lighter, and bright yellow and MLB making those changes based on their preferences.

Edited by tker 669, 07 November 2017 - 05:49 AM.

#83 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

View Postlatinisator, on 05 November 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

Or maybe, only maybe, the winning team can offer 1v1 combat (if there is any time left and omega is secure).

Used to try it, can never trust the losing team to keep to it so it's a waste of time.

#84 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

View PostGunfighter89, on 04 November 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

@MischiefSC True that. As I said, implementing any sort of matchmaking system in FP would negatively impact wait times, in my opinion. It's just that I've seen a lot of people complain about being matched up against units when they're solo. When I solo in faction, if I drop against a unit, I welcome the challenge. It's like seeing how long you can stand up against overwhelming odds. It tests your skill and your wit. I've had games where I was on the losing side, but managed 2k+ damage against teams like EVIL with brawling mechs. Then again, I can be a bit of a masochist. Posted Image

There is a basic MM is CW.

12man face 12man first. Then a skirmish if no 12man. Pugs if no Skirmish.

So, if you are solo and do not like facing groups, clib out of the bottom of the bucket and join a group. You then face groups or pugs.

Really that easy.

#85 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostStrange Love, on 05 November 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

and about your brain dmg .. first i hope you get better soon so here few tips maybe help you understand the money making in basic gaming:(to help game live longer)

1. its a game and the main point in gaming its - Have fun in your free time - right now new players\solo not having fun !!
2. no fun - no players - if no players no one buy - no one buy - pgi die ! - if pgi die - mechwarrior die (and we love this game)
3. to have fun in gaming it means:
freedom to choose! and not been forced to play by the developers wish or bad managed for too long - and if players will continue do the same things over and over again they get bored and stop play and at the end it will kill the game.

What you don't seem to understand here is that other people's idea of fun in a competitive gamemode actually involves being competitive and actually putting up an effort to win and occasionally winning. Most people hate it when they get some "I only play for fun" guy on their team who just has to be carried and who never even tries to improve because apparently getting stomped repeatedly is fun for them, its as bad as a disconnect.

MWO already has a casual mode in quick play, if you don't want to be competitive then *GET OUT* of faction play, just leave it alone if you're not competitive. Its like playing CSGO and going into competitive only to run around with the glock the whole time, you'd likely just get vote kicked so a bot can replace you.

Sometimes its not freedom to choose that makes the game fun, its doing your best with what the game allows you to do. Freedom to do whatever you want is a sandbox game concept, not a competitive game concept, which usually has a lot of restrictions on what you can and cannot do.

#86 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Just make it groups only, and let solos que in special sametech events so they can get a taste and find a group, then after events back to groups only.

If those pugs are truly commited theyll get the hint snd find or start a group.

#87 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

@Mischief: Lets be honest here. The winning side breaks Zell the vast majority of the time. A successful defense on Boreal that leads to a push to the dropships has the defenders focus fire the duelist most of the time.

The few defenders remaining on the plateau have no incentive to break honor since rewards and entertainment from sequential dueling far exceed that of being quickly slaughtered.

What counter examples do you offer? Vitric has high Zell potential as well.

Since the probability of a valid duel is greater than zero I don't see how the enjoyment maximization is compromised by answering in the affirmative. There is no opportunity cost.

Edited by Spheroid, 05 November 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#88 Syso69

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

I've played in Clan competitive unit (Old good TFDV) for more than 2 years, I've seen both IS & Clan randoms stomping premades, seen a lot of IS & Clan premades stomping randoms.

Making it group vs group & solo vs solo will furher decrease allready small population.

This game is all about coordination, random group with one caller having common sense is capable of dealing with average premade with bit of luck & adequate builds ( inb4 LRM assaults are not adequate) can beat a 12 men pre-made.

Edited by Syso88, 09 November 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#89 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:40 PM

View PostIK4MS, on 04 November 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

Have you tried running a 12 man? That could help.

Wont help unless your 12 man is on the same skill level as the opposing 12 man. Not everyone can be a top competitive player unfortunately, as that calls for a lot of time commitment.

#90 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

View Postnaterist, on 05 November 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

Just make it groups only,

Please make it Units who could theoretically field a full 12 premade only. That's what FaP is designed for after all. Oh, the coordination, the comms, the skills! Into the QP netherworlds with the PUG abominations!

#91 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

View Postnaterist, on 05 November 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

Just make it groups only, and let solos que in special sametech events so they can get a taste and find a group, then after events back to groups only.

If those pugs are truly commited theyll get the hint snd find or start a group.

Yep. In fact put it in QP so it's got a matchmaker too. Let people play it and get used to it and see how it feels.

One thing several games I've played have done is 'outriders' or 'sergeants'. Vet players who get a special tag next to their name and are set by the MM to drop with new players and who help call drops, give advice and just be a potential person to talk to/message with outside of matches. Just a voluntary thing so that newer players who WANT to reach out to someone and ask questions are more easily able to do so.

We just have no way to connect solo, inexperienced, new or just 'never had anyone explain some basics' players to get that advice *if they want it*.

View PostJun Watarase, on 05 November 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

Wont help unless your 12 man is on the same skill level as the opposing 12 man. Not everyone can be a top competitive player unfortunately, as that calls for a lot of time commitment.

I'm often pretty critical of things you've posted and I want to make it clear I'm not doing that here.

I am however saying, absolutely, that the best teams in FW are not top competitive teams and have no more or less time commitment than pugging. Other than unit officers nobody in KCom has any sort of 'time commitment'. No dedicated FW unit I'm aware of has any time commitments or required trainings or anything like that.

Joining a group, especially a good group, has only the following requirements I've ever seen -

1. Play with them. Just go to their TS (all the ones I know have an open door policy, including KCom) and ask if they have room. If they do, great. If not, just stay quietly until there's an opening - there almost always is eventually.

2. Be polite/respectful/quiet and, well, someone who isn't unpleasant to have in channel. Especially if they don't know you the best option is stay quiet other than to ask questions.

3. Ask questions. I don't know anyone (save most of EVIL) who isn't absolutely happy to answer questions about gameplay, builds, strats, tactics, all of that except when they're in a drop.

4. Do the above 3 until you seem like a good fit. If you don't, find a group that is.

Getting into good units is way, way more about being a personality fit than anything else. That's why there's numerous good units both in and out of FW - they have their own way of doing things. Play with as many groups as you can, learn how they do stuff and find one you gel with.

All of us have life stuff that draws us away for a while, or just other games, or whatever. Show up and play when you want to play. When you don't, don't.

Comp tier teams? Honestly to play at a competitive tier in games in general is often about a 40 hour a week commitment. I don't know how the top tier comp teams in MWO handle it but if you're in a comp tier team in any other game with a comp scene most more or less require about a 40 hour commitment.

That's not FW teams though. The reason good teams are good is usually because good players tend to be drawn to other good players in the field of the game they like because you look for like minded people to play with. That's it.

#92 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 05 November 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Please make it Units who could theoretically field a full 12 premade only. That's what FaP is designed for after all. Oh, the coordination, the comms, the skills! Into the QP netherworlds with the PUG abominations!

Don't dis pugs and pugging in general. I pugged for years. Almost everyone in KCom has done tons of pugging in FW. All the best players in FW have done tons and tons of pugging in FW. Pretty much well all have. It was awesome that we were able to pug in FW, it's how we got to play with so many other teams and learn so much better how to play the game.

The problem isn't pugging. It was never pugging. The problem is people who refuse to group up, play as a team, learn and improve. Those people are toxic and while it might hurt matchmaking in its way if they all left tomorrow FW would be overall better for it. Imagine how much better FW would be if every match you could count on everyone, pug or teammate, to try to play to their team, bring good mechs and follow calls (or even call it themselves). I can think off the top of my head of a good 60-100 people who would either come back or at least play more.

If you required grouping up to play FW and had FW content for people to train with and learn on in QP, FW would be significantly better. Maybe allow people to pug in FW if they meet some basic criteria and click past a warning every time they go to queue up?

#93 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 05 November 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Joining a group, especially a good group, has only the following requirements I've ever seen -

1. Play with them. Just go to their TS (all the ones I know have an open door policy, including KCom) and ask if they have room. If they do, great. If not, just stay quietly until there's an opening - there almost always is eventually.

2. Be polite/respectful/quiet and, well, someone who isn't unpleasant to have in channel. Especially if they don't know you the best option is stay quiet other than to ask questions.

3. Ask questions. I don't know anyone (save most of EVIL) who isn't absolutely happy to answer questions about gameplay, builds, strats, tactics, all of that except when they're in a drop.

4. Do the above 3 until you seem like a good fit. If you don't, find a group that is.

Getting into good units is way, way more about being a personality fit than anything else. That's why there's numerous good units both in and out of FW - they have their own way of doing things. Play with as many groups as you can, learn how they do stuff and find one you gel with.

All of us have life stuff that draws us away for a while, or just other games, or whatever. Show up and play when you want to play. When you don't, don't.

Comp tier teams? Honestly to play at a competitive tier in games in general is often about a 40 hour a week commitment. I don't know how the top tier comp teams in MWO handle it but if you're in a comp tier team in any other game with a comp scene most more or less require about a 40 hour commitment.

That's not FW teams though. The reason good teams are good is usually because good players tend to be drawn to other good players in the field of the game they like because you look for like minded people to play with. That's it.

This advice is really worth it's own thread....it's really far less intimidating than it might initially seem. As our units recruiting officer I can say we are far, far more likely to take a Pilot who might be a little below what we are really looking for (performance-wise) if he is a nice guy, listens and is willing to learn/improve....than we are a guy who is a pain to deal with and great numbers.

#94 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 05 November 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

This advice is really worth it's own thread....it's really far less intimidating than it might initially seem. As our units recruiting officer I can say we are far, far more likely to take a Pilot who might be a little below what we are really looking for (performance-wise) if he is a nice guy, listens and is willing to learn/improve....than we are a guy who is a pain to deal with and great numbers.

Skill is something you learn. Everyone who is good now was bad before and learned to be good. Humans learn by teaching - it's the fundamental basis of society. You build upon what has been done before, you learn from those who have already accomplished and you try to add to that. You play with a group because you learn from other people, what they do and how and why.

People who've gotten good at the game are almost universally happy to share what they know. You just have to be worth talking to. If someone can't behave like someone worth having around they're ******. If you can however and you're willing to learn there are always people happy and willing to teach you.

#95 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

I wish more people took this advice.

Certainly the people we were playing with alongside our own team could've used it.

#96 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:46 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 05 November 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

Don't dis pugs and pugging in general. I pugged for years. Almost everyone in KCom has done tons of pugging in FW. All the best players in FW have done tons and tons of pugging in FW. Pretty much well all have. It was awesome that we were able to pug in FW, it's how we got to play with so many other teams and learn so much better how to play the game.

The problem isn't pugging. It was never pugging. The problem is people who refuse to group up, play as a team, learn and improve. Those people are toxic and while it might hurt matchmaking in its way if they all left tomorrow FW would be overall better for it. Imagine how much better FW would be if every match you could count on everyone, pug or teammate, to try to play to their team, bring good mechs and follow calls (or even call it themselves). I can think off the top of my head of a good 60-100 people who would either come back or at least play more.

If you required grouping up to play FW and had FW content for people to train with and learn on in QP, FW would be significantly better. Maybe allow people to pug in FW if they meet some basic criteria and click past a warning every time they go to queue up?

PUG should play Quickplay, learn teamwork in Group mode. Faction Play is endgame content and should be open only for seasoned veterans with optimized drop decks who know what they're doing. End game is not Training grounds. No disrespect for PUGs.

#97 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 05 November 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

When did they add skill based MM to CW?

Last they told us, only MM is 12man, Skirmish or PUG.

#98 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

View PostStrange Love, on 04 November 2017 - 06:25 AM, said:

pgi thank you for Created single lobby mixed with pugs , new players and 12 men trolling all around

stop trolling the drop zone ,, this main reason why we never get new players
and I'm talking about all sides .. clans and IS

fix this shi%$#@

OR.....

You could stay in Quick Play until you understand the basic operation and tactics necessary to actually pull your weight before you join Potato Warfare.

#99 Syso69

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 06 November 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

stay in Quick Play until you understand the basic operation and tactics necessary to actually pull your weight before you join Potato Warfare.

This

#100 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:37 AM

What we really need is a warning when someone goes to play FW that tells them to pretty much do that - that FW is a very teamwork oriented environment and you need a good deck.

Oh, wait. It has that already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users