#381 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:38 AM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 27 November 2017 - 02:42 AM, said:

Why is it so difficult to name a winner based on who won the most matches ?

Just because MWO has huge amount of lore to fall back on , it is still a game . Why can a clan not take a home world , especially when a homeworld is added to the loot . Are the DEVs trying to avoid a LOREsuite ?

If this is about keeping lore intact why not have the events , but without winners or losers , let the lore stay intact . Let the players get their grinding pay outs . I won't take too much offense taking part in historic famous battles and having what really happened story time afterwards.

If you gonna offer up a carrot as a prize , let us have our carrot assuming we earned it.

This game has zero to do with Battletech Lore and is not a valid point in this argument. PGI said a long time ago that Lore will be completely ignored, especially in FP. If Lore was being followed... it would have been Jade Falc attacking Tharkad, it would have been The Word of Blake as 3067 (our current tech era) is when the WoB Jihad started and they bombarded the crap out of Tharkad.. it wasn't even a mech action! In fact, in complete irony, a Nova of Jade Falcon would be part of a joint force to liberate Tharkad from Blakist control in 3072... http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tharkad ... but I have digressed.

As for win/loss conditions. I'm finding myself increasingly disgusted by this. The first Tie with Kurita vs SmokeJag was a joke, but to allow it to happen again is negligent.

Many of you may not agree with my opinion, but that's fine you are allowed to however I feel its simple logic.
If the 'Invading' force fails to capture the planet within the allotted window, It is simply a victory for the defender.. is it not? I don't care how much time and effort was put into the fight. It doesn't matter because the end result is that the defenders flag still flies over the planet. Clans failed to capture Tharkad, therefore, the planet was successfully defended. Same rules would apply to any engagement IS vs IS or Clan vs IS. As clear cut as that simple logic is, I can not understand how the current system is built to allow a "tie". Yes a "true" battlefield can drag into a stalemate, but a failed objective is still a failed objective.

So where is the problem? As most have already voiced and agree upon, its in the FP system itself. Its not about "victory conditions" in this sort of event. In Tic-Tac-Toe three like symbols is a victory condition. Calling Heads on a coin toss and it landing on heads is a victory condition. Well, in this event the victory condition should have been very obvious, Capture Tharkad for Clan and Defend Tharkad for IS. The problem is the "Capture Conditions". What dos it TAKE to capture an objective. It shouldn't matter what faction you play because capturing an objective is the same across the board.

Perhaps the capture thresholds are too far apart? Just like a regular tug of war with a rope, the further away from the center those capture thresholds are, the larger chance of a tie and the more work has to be put into the campaign. Maybe the capture condition could include different sets of metrics. For starters, maybe those capture thresholds should be closer together. Maybe win/loss ratios should have some weight to the overall campaign.

I regards to rewards, I enjoyed the Loyalist reward challenges. Straight forward, if not on the easy side, they were clear and easy to understand. The DDC reward wasn't inspiring to me, but that's because I've had one forever and I have a bankroll to buy many more. It was a decent end reward though and the 250 matchscore thing wasn't horrible. I found myself more driven to earn the Steiner pattern unlock for the Atlas because that to me translates into a real money item then the DDC.

The 4 Mill for total victory is laughable however. I felt zero motivation to even try.
Plenty of folks using free accounts and fight the CBill grind, but even then I don't feel 4mill is significant enough to motivate players properly to invest themselves in the event. It made more sense to have the mech reward attached to the overall victory, but we all saw how that turned out last time.

I feel that PGI is really stumbling around blind at this point with what to do with FP. I feel more then ever that this was just attempt to distract us from how lackluster and broken FP is, but inadvertently shined the spotlight on themselves and all the issues, mechanically speaking (I'm not getting into the balance quagmire) , FP truly has. The game was designed with Faction Based PVP in mind, yet it barely accomplishes this in a satisfactory manner, even during a moderate event such as this where it should have been cut and dry.

I figure when the next event like this pops I'll participate in the same manner; focus on personal/loyalist rewards and let the rest go has its been going, yet another tie.

#382 SuperMouse

Rookie

• Big Daddy
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:47 AM

View PostGuile Votoms, on 27 November 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

If these events would give you massive rewards on a victory or something unique that you can't get anywhere else
AND if there was Rearm&Repair for faction play so there'd be something at stake, maybe then people would actually care.

Rearm and repair would just make things worse in my opinion. Thing is that there are too many farmers among the pug's, and all fp matches would be endless shooting from behind the cover in a single mech till time runs out.

Edited by SuperMouse, 27 November 2017 - 07:53 AM.

#383 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

In fairness to PGI on one important thing regarding this event. (As I was critical above)

The queues did seem better to me with this event when I played. I think the 250 match score kept people going, even if it frustrated some. It's an easier figure to do in Invasion (but not a dunk) and more of a challenge in scouting. The last day of the event I played scouting had to be still full, as I was in a match and Clans had sat. sweep and the bar moved all the way to the IS having combat ID....so the scouting bar was moving fast. That is a lot of matches in a short timeframe.

For those who thought it was overly challenging (I didn't think so) , maybe 225 would be workable or just 10 matches at 250 would make it more manageable. Idk. I did like the move up from 150 (which only motivated scouting)

#384 Dareck Hazen

Rookie

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:05 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 27 November 2017 - 04:48 AM, said:

Best part, winning the match and seeing the whole enemy team not make match score, 150 or 250.

Another mini game to play...

Posted Image

This is true, but mostly on just Siege- Attack Territory. I told my guys straight off, if you're dropping under me, we're going for the win, not match score, for the entirety of this event. this means Gens, Turrets, and Omega are the focus of the match.

That being the case, however, my pilots and I had no problems achieving the total desired number of match scores by the end of the event. I myself had 25/15 of the total needed 250 and 150 match scores. But it was weird that you run an event like that next to Tharkad. Its a challenge to teamwork.

But, everyone did really well, stayed focused, and got their score by the end of Tharkad, so no big. I think someone higher in this comments section was talking about how those rewards would require 8+ hours during this event to achieve, and R79T went hard each day for about 13+ hours, except on the last day it was about 7-8 hours, since the event ended pretty early.

Get your grind on! Posted Image

Edited by Dareck Hazen, 27 November 2017 - 08:05 AM.

#385 Apollo777

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 265 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 27 November 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

Errrrr.. so who won?

Did the Clans take Tharkad?

I got a "victory reward" redeemed, but I didn't get my 4 million cbills, and when redeeming, I got an error message.. Can someone explain what happened?

My Fiancee also got the same error and no 4 million cbills?!

View Postarcana75, on 27 November 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

Same here, clicked REDEEMED on the website, ingame later says REDEEMED, but no actual payout. I think it's a bug, wasn't meant to be redeemable since no side achieved Victory condition.

Same here!!!

#386 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

If an extremely unlikely tie happens twice in a row and the game spawns error codes because there is no victory or loss condition for this, your programmers may be dumb.

#387 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

Why not present a variety of victory conditions spanning various statistics that are easily traced?

Example:
Your side destroys 1 million enemy components over the course of the event: Unlock <some color>
Your side destroys 100k enemy mechs over the course of the event: Unlock <some pattern>
Grand prize- Your side win: Win 75%+ of total invasion matches and win: ????

Something like that.

and/or break it up into phases where your winning only require to you to participate in one phase or another (but you are not limited), then have the winning side determined by # of phases won.

#388 Tavious Grimm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 255 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

Not that I had a dog in this fight...so to speak, I take PGI's ****** up victory conditions resulted in yet another tie? If so, PGI seriously stop making these events until you simplify the conditions. In other words make it to where the bar has to be completely blue...err orange at the end of the event...DO NOT count matches still in progress after said event ended. Or better yet just give up and give the license back to Microsoft and let them choose another company...anyone will do..except EA.

#389 Toek

• PipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostShooteyMcShooterson, on 26 November 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

So nobody wins the cbill bonuses?

I was in a position to complete the requirements for both sides, and the event screen told me the event was tied and I could claim both 4,000,000 cbill rewards. But when trying to claim, the game froze and gave me an error code 95. Then after clicking the error code notification away, the game showed the rewards as claimed, but my cbill balance did not change.

Is that what happened everyone?

Same here!

Edited by Toek, 27 November 2017 - 11:44 AM.

#390 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:46 AM

Hello all!

Event Results.
- So the event did end in a tie based on the Conflict Victory thresholds as displayed in Faction Play.

Why did I say it was unlikely to end in a tie?
- The Displayed Victory threshold was not the intended Victory threshold. I had set the victory threshold to be 0 in the event creation window meaning 1 game on either side of the control bar would be considered a victory.

What went wrong.
- Setting the Victory threshold to Zero apparently means (to the game code) USE THE DEFAULT victory threshold which is 27. When I had set the event up I failed to check the victory threshold displayed in the game.
If I had, I would have noticed that the victory threshold was not functioning properly.

What are we doing?
- We are going to do some Manual Manipulation of the event to show it as a Clan Victory.Tharkad will be switched to Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Players will be able to claim the Victory prize.We will most likely have to restart services to fix this issue. Causing people to log out and ending matches prematurely.I will post again once we have tested our intended fix and we are ready to roll it out to production and restart the services.
TSP rewards will be injected shortly after the fix is in place.

Future events.
- I will be able to use a Victory threshold of 1 to minimize the chance of a Tie but not completely eliminate it.

Thanks for your Patience,
Matt Newman

#391 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

Didn't see that coming....but looks like sanity prevails... thanks Matt, much better win conditions

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 27 November 2017 - 12:11 PM.

#392 Van mw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationWar zone

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

Sad news Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image . But work on mistakes is better than nothing.

#393 WobblyShooter

• PipPip
  • The Soviet
  • The Soviet
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

Cool! the beginning of the end of the conquest of the inner sphere !

#394 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostUbersuck, on 27 November 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

Pffffffft you'll make some headway, but then you'll start eating our space bacon (one of the IS products superior to the clan equivalent, vat bacon, or "vacon"), get fat and then try to compensate by using our high quality hair gel (#1 Davion export, if they don't use it all themselves!)...

Next thing you know you'll settle in to watch episodes of "The Bounty Hunter" and make insulting jokes about Liao like the rest of us... well, except for the Liaoans.... they just kind of starve and take turns getting public beatings...

Edited by MovinTarget, 27 November 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#395 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostUbersuck, on 27 November 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

Until the next bug that renders everything you've done irrelevant.

;)

#396 Big MO

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

Good thing the prize is only C-bills. Matt, from the perspective of anyone who played the game this weekend as IS, you just changed the victory condition after the game was over.

#397 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 27 November 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

Hello all!

Event Results.
- So the event did end in a tie based on the Conflict Victory thresholds as displayed in Faction Play.

Why did I say it was unlikely to end in a tie?
- The Displayed Victory threshold was not the intended Victory threshold. I had set the victory threshold to be 0 in the event creation window meaning 1 game on either side of the control bar would be considered a victory.

What went wrong.
- Setting the Victory threshold to Zero apparently means (to the game code) USE THE DEFAULT victory threshold which is 27. When I had set the event up I failed to check the victory threshold displayed in the game.
If I had, I would have noticed that the victory threshold was not functioning properly.

What are we doing?
- We are going to do some Manual Manipulation of the event to show it as a Clan Victory.Tharkad will be switched to Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Players will be able to claim the Victory prize.We will most likely have to restart services to fix this issue. Causing people to log out and ending matches prematurely.I will post again once we have tested our intended fix and we are ready to roll it out to production and restart the services.
TSP rewards will be injected shortly after the fix is in place.

Future events.
- I will be able to use a Victory threshold of 1 to minimize the chance of a Tie but not completely eliminate it.

Thanks for your Patience,
Matt Newman

Appreciate the post and the fix.

Earn a lot of respect for admitting to an error in public like that.

Maybe something to consider, something in 'good faith' to IS as well.

#398 Righter8

• PipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 27 November 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Until the next bug that renders everything you've done irrelevant.

Posted Image

Are you speaking of "The Season Reset"? I've heard of it whispered by those who came before. I never thought it was real.

#399 dr3dnought

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 27 November 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

I failed to check

I will forgive you depending on how juicy you make the c-bill sale ;-)

#400 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:59 PM

View Postdr3dnought, on 27 November 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

I will forgive you depending on how juicy you make the c-bill sale ;-)

THE "I FAILED TO CHECK" CBILL SALE!!!!

Let it be written, let it be done!

srsly though, as a programmer, I totally understand how this happens...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users