Wanna Get Better? Get A New Mouse.

81 replies to this topic

#61 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:13 PM

View Postocular tb, on 07 December 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Nice setup. I should do more with my setup but space is kind of at a premium at the moment. Some day though!

I hear ya man..... space can be a real problem. One of the reason's I haven't built a simpit yet. I have a 3 bedroom 2 bath house I built myself, but I need a "game room" to pull off what I wanna do. I go balls to the wall on everything I build or touch.... I think I have OCD. Posted Image

My Ryzen build with the old BenQ monitor, I haven't uploaded pics of the new AOC G-sync 35" yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My old I7 4790K build, and Custom Granite wall mount build. I built the new one out of Aluminum due to I needed a lighter wall mount case. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 07 December 2017 - 04:25 PM.

#62 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

That's definitely far more than I got going on lol. I built my computer and hooked up a second monitor and thought it was an accomplishment that it even worked!

#63 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

I like to build things man. lol.

#64 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:59 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 December 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

How about giving this a try?:

Don't think it works for a game like MWO. Shooting while I'm looking at the minimap, my weapon hud, and I don't think it works well with torso twisting and snap shooting. It says it complements your mouse, but that's marketing...

There's another similar device TrackIR, while not entirely the same it does head tracking, and I find it odd as a device for single-panel gameplay. Maybe if you have 3-5 panels for a 180-270 degree horizontal display.

#65 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

I guess it would depend on the mouse.. BUT two issues. going into windows every time you play the game, because have you ever tried playing other games that didn't need it, like say a turn based strat game, or web browsing when your mouse is a snail?

JC, I believe he was talking about the Mouse Sensitivity in the game settings itself. Set Windows where for everyday usage it works, then set the in-game sensitivity in game settings. Remember to Turn off/toggle off torso lock since this is where the sensitivity really matters when your Mouse DPI is set at what you have for default. Then the mouse DPI setups to increase/decrease mouse movement, in and out of game.

I do believe many may have bypass that the biggest change is the mouse size, JC hand size and how he normally holds a mouse - CLAW, PALM or FINGERTIP. His previous mouse may not have been appropriate for his grip type, and he may not have been aware of it. But switch to a mouse with different dimensions from a mouse you were actually comfortable with then you can really tell the difference.

I ran into difference when I went looking for a new mouse without being aware of this. Lets say I blew some bucks and time due to not the mouse having actual problems but that the mouse was slightly smaller and shorter, enough I was quite aware of the negative effect it had on my gameplay, even though I spent some time to alter how I was holding the mouse /shudders. I started researching, as well as gathering the size of the mice I had, both the two good but old ones, the new one and another I had borrowed but was not satisfied with. I am halfway between the PALM/CLAW grip. A smaller/shorter mouse might be okay with normal computer stuff but for gaming..

Currently using a Logitech G500 (2 like forever) and a G602 (around 1.5 years). Purchased microswitch to repair my 1st G500 so one is a backup, just in case...
Razor Naga tad too small/short and there was another mouse, dont remember what it was but give it to my nephew.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just to add. A functional mouse that is better suited to your hand size and grip can almost feel like you are going from 20-30FPS to 60FPS gameplay.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 07 December 2017 - 05:24 PM.

#66 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 07 December 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

TARGET is absolutely worthless. Tried using it with my HOTAS set for Star Citizen and it disabled half the axes on my throttle. Also joystick aiming is actually pretty terrible compared to mouse aiming.

That's a Star Citizen issue.

Just a joystick works fine with MWO. Depends on the joystick's quality. Thrustmaster 16000m tracks the stick position over a magnetic grid so there is no shake from the stick mechanics. It's just a choice. Joystick gets a bad rep because there was no analog turn until 2012/2013 and by then most everyone had formed their opinion about joysticks as no good. Now you would have to say the Mouse may be the worst of the two options because it is such a poor controller for mech movement. You could use a stick for movement and a mouse for reticule tracking and many players are doing this.

#67 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:58 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 07 December 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

JC, I believe he was talking about the Mouse Sensitivity in the game settings itself. Set Windows where for everyday usage it works, then set the in-game sensitivity in game settings. Remember to Turn off/toggle off torso lock since this is where the sensitivity really matters when your Mouse DPI is set at what you have for default. Then the mouse DPI setups to increase/decrease mouse movement, in and out of game.

I already had my in-game settings as low as they could go, and it still wasn't right, so i had to then go into windows settings, it was just a big ol cluster <bleep>

Like i was saying though, i had basically used the same mouse or same size mouse since i first had a computer that had a mouse.. (yes i had computers before them) Basically the only change in them over the years for me was the adding of the scroll wheel, but the mouse was pretty much the same.

the whole you can't teach a new dog new tricks, is wrong here. I learned a new trick! Maybe because every other game i've ever played it didn't matter, as the only shooters i ever play are the old Mech games, which i hadnt played for years, and now this one. I still use the little wireless too for my other computer uses, its simple to just plug in the new one when i fire this game up. Besides it has pretty glowing lights too!

@bill cool setup! I am just getting my station set up too, got a nice second monitor for 100 bucks when i bought the mouse, and now am reloading the OS on my Surf machine/second machine back up, A duo core 8500 with a 9800 Nivida card, and finally am getting my Classic AMD anthlon 2600 with an old ati 9800 vid card and win 2k, so i can finally play my old mech games, 3&4 + mech commander 1&2, along with another classic "Blade runner" the westwoods adventure classic that i just can't seam to get running on new systems. Should be sweet!

#68 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

My arm remains mostly stationary while using my Logitech G9x, and my wrist remains practically glued to my mousepad. Only my fingers and hand move while aiming.

There is no need to use your entire arm to manipulate a mouse. Wasted time and energy as I see it. But I played Quake and Team Fortress for years.

I use what is known as the "tip grip."

https://www.epicgear...s-of-mouse-grip

#69 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

TARGET is absolutely worthless. Tried using it with my HOTAS set for Star Citizen and it disabled half the axes on my throttle. Also joystick aiming is actually pretty terrible compared to mouse aiming.

That is because Star Citizen has AWFUL joystick support and is BIASED heavily towards mouse users. Chris Roberts is doing an awful job with mouse/joystick balance, and has basically thrown all stick users under the bus, despite his promise of the Best Damn Space SIM Ever.

Aircraft/Spacecraft use joysticks, not mice. Interactive Mode is an evil thing and Star Citizen spaceflight will remain trash until they decide to actually balance the control schemes.

#70 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

I am assuming you are referring to the TARGET GUI tool. If so, I'm going to have to disagree. It gets the basic, and many of the less basic, jobs done.

How often and how long have you used it yourself?

And for those who want to really get into things, the TARGET script editor is the way to go.

#71 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 07 December 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

I have had several gaming mice in the last few years of MWO. Yes, having a good gaming mouse does make a huge difference, but the tips given here also makes a huge difference. I am now using a Logitech G502 wired mouse and I love it. If you find yourself wanting more buttons, make the next jump and use a flight stick. I have over 15 button options, I use the hud switch for target toggling, night and thermal vision, and arm lock..... works like a charm. Every option i need to play the game is on my right hand mouse, or on my left hand with my flight stick. I can't even imagine playing with keyboard and mouse on this game.

I also made custom foot peddles that let me use voice chat, and I have it programmed for jump jets. I tore apart a Logitech racing wheel, and a dell keyboard, and soldered the right wire combos for the A, S, D, W keystrokes and got buttons from radioshack and put them in the foot peddles. I can program them just like a keyboard stroke, works perfect! Got all this from goodwill, less than $10 bucks. I started out using a throttle stick, and X52 and used the peddles to turn left and right with my legs.... it got to be a serious work out. I put that idea on the back burners and just went with using them for extra "buttons". Posted Image

I have also modded several flight sticks over the years, cutting the shafts, rewiring them, and making them in an horizontal position vs. Vertical.... the one I have stuck with is a Logitech Extreme.... and it works the best. I have the X52, and a Thrustmaster 1600 I picked up at goodwill for $10 bucks, and several others. The Logitech Extreme seems to give the best button options, placement, and over all comfort and response for left hand/leg movement, IMO. It has 16 buttons that can be programmed a lone and my G502 mouse has 8 buttons that can be programmed. With the extra 2 with the foot peddles, that's 26 buttons total that I can program that allow me to keep both hands on the flight stick and mouse.... I think that covers almost any option MWO gives that really matter. Posted Image

Wow! That's some hardware and electronics chops you've got.

However, have you considered using a Logitech G13 instead? Posted Image

#72 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

mouse op

pgi should ban mouse

and make everyone use dual joystick and pedals

#73 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 07 December 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

The only thing left for me to do is build a sim pit..... I have wanted to do this, but I just do not really play this game much anymore ...

Come on! You know you want to do so! Posted Image

View PostBill Lumbar, on 07 December 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

Yep, That is how I run it, and it works way better IMO. I just can't play this game, or any game that even remotely resembles a sim with a keyboard. Keyboard and mouse just isn't the way to go. Joystick for aiming isn't either, unless something has changed with support, or people figuring out ways to make it work like should. Some have gone to extremes with Warthogs and modded them, and claim they work very well. IDK.... I have not dropped $400+ on a warthog flight stick. I believe the ones who have modded them, in fact are just as good as using a mouse for aim, but it takes a lot of custom work, and modding the software to get it right. If I was gonna take the time to build a sim for this game, I would go that option.

Oh come on! You know you want a Warthog! Posted Image

The quickest mod for the Warthog joystick is a stick extension. to mitigate the center position stiffness.

As for aiming in MWO, having mouse emulation at the 5-95% movement range and regular joystick functionality on the extremes works reasonably well as long as you're not using lasers while running a light or fast medium and/or like fighting in 3 dimensions. PPFLD and missile weapons are fine with a stick.

Edited by Mystere, 08 December 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#74 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 07 December 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

Hot damn! You just gave me an idea! Posted Image

#75 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostKhobai, on 08 December 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

mouse op

pgi should ban mouse

and make everyone use dual joystick and pedals

iPads! Don't forget iPads! Posted Image

#76 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

oh yeah ban ipads too

#77 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostMystere, on 08 December 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

I am assuming you are referring to the TARGET GUI tool. If so, I'm going to have to disagree. It gets the basic, and many of the less basic, jobs done.

How often and how long have you used it yourself?

And for those who want to really get into things, the TARGET script editor is the way to go.

I've not used TARGET but I can't imagine it is any harder to use than Foxy.

#78 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

Ddos does wonder for your skill level as well.

#79 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 08 December 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

My arm remains mostly stationary while using my Logitech G9x, and my wrist remains practically glued to my mousepad. Only my fingers and hand move while aiming.

There is no need to use your entire arm to manipulate a mouse. Wasted time and energy as I see it. But I played Quake and Team Fortress for years.

I use what is known as the "tip grip."

https://www.epicgear...s-of-mouse-grip

So just the tip? Posted Image Posted Image

#80 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostMystere, on 08 December 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Hot damn! You just gave me an idea! Posted Image

Man, if I ever get access to a CNC or a laser cutter its gonna be scary what I can build. This one was all done by hand, with a new dewalt router, it was a real pain in the a$$! Even with aluminium bits and a adjusting the speed it was a very long and slow process cutting all the holes for the leds, wires and access holes. I don't regret it, but its a lot of work due to the amount of time it takes to cut the aluminum. Plain old dawn dish soap with a little water added works the best for keeping the cuttings from clogging the bits. You should try it, I love my new wall mount case. I am sure I will get the itch to do another one soon, I have thought about doing a threadripper build....Posted Image

Yeah.... I have considered getting a G13, but just haven't felt I needed one yet. I am always open to new hardware, but this stuff starts to get a bit expensive man! lol. I would be more likely to mod a wart hog, make my own foot rutters/peddles than to get a G13. I want to build a sim pit but what I would build would take up a bit of room, like as in I need a gaming room to do it. That means I need to build an addition and that cost some coin. lol.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 08 December 2017 - 03:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users