230 replies to this topic

#161 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:19 AM

yes Posted Image looks better as MWO ,and the AI works better as the Nascar Kids in MWO, and when the Servers for MWO down , im can have Fun further with the mod tools and MW5 and implenting more Things thats better for the Game (not Things like the ugly Fallout 4 Scrapyard Bolts in MWO) hope thats all UE4 Features is in the modtools and im can make Biome Modules with less Gravity or Subwater Areas (nothing seeing water in MW5?)

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 12 January 2019 - 03:29 AM.

#162 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:06 PM

MW5 community pack video.
https://youtu.be/26l_9VJUq9s

#163 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:32 AM

From the January 2019 trailer's comments:

Greetings, I'm the senior designer for MW5.

Note that the resistance offered by the building and the damage caused by the collision are fully adjustable parameters, set low on a new set of assets just for the demo.

You'll note that the trees slow Mechs down - all buildings and destructible objects will use the same speed limiting mechanism.

As such, I also imagine the same was done during Mech Con 2018, making the things behave as if made out of paper. Yes this allows things to break very easily, but I'm not sure if it was the best way to showcase for slow motion footage, which a lot of it was.

Side note: AI controlled Hunchbacks have incredible speed at shifting between viable targets; note the target shift at 48+ seconds. Granted the targets are intersecting one another, it instantly declares the target going behind him as no longer viable and focuses on the target dead ahead. (This is true with any AI that doesn't have a random interval of "short delay" between shifting after a target is declared unviable to make them seem more 'human'.)

My nearing 3 year old usually drops everything when I go to play mechs and enjoys doing things like stomping, "pews" and "booms", as well as saying "Awesome!" She seems far more infatuated with this trailer than MWO despite the lack of the sounds she likes to imitate.

Shame there's no rain/snow effects shown yet. Mostly dense fog. Would also be pretty curious to see gravity differences. And I'm glad that resistance, which I imagine goes to both the actual destruction and to movement through destructable things, is an adjustable value as it is among the things I felt needed some serious tweaking from the videos I've seen. We'll see how the final product is before I go messing with it for a more Battletech simulator feel.

#164 CDRDeltaRing

Rookie

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFL

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:07 PM

These vids look soooooo good. I am glad I pre-ordered!!

#165 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

Community video russ sounds and looks like a rando on the streert asking for bus money. Flashy graphics don't make a good game. Good game play and story make a good game.

#166 Grimm Shado

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:56 PM

New video from Ars Technica.

Main topic is the development process and work they did troubleshooting the procedural level creator for MW5. It does have Jordan Weisman a bit for background on BT.

I haven't been following religiously, but I feel like there were a handful of MW5 screens in this video I had not seen before: star map with UI bar at top and mission data screen. Right around 6:40 mark of video.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Grimm Shado, 03 April 2019 - 01:56 PM.

#167 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:34 AM

Grimm,

I agree, I don't think those screens have been shown before and it's tantalizing getting a sneak peak at what the contract selection method might look like. It looks with Support Rights that the contracts may cover a marginal amount of the damage your lance sustains during a mission. It makes for a fun built in challenge. "Take no more damage than can be repaired for free."

#168 Grimm Shado

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:13 AM

Here is one more I noticed this morning re-watching the War Stories video.
I've seen complaints about not knowing what the merc company management/economy portion of the game looks like, this screen appears to reveal a fair amount.
-On top of the obvious pilot payroll cost, it looks like you can also hire additional techs and medics to speed up repairs and healing at the cost of raising your recurring OpEx base.
-Pilots, techs, and medics all have a "training" count so maybe you can't use new hires right away and have to plan out onboarding time.
-Storage shows a mechbay count, so maybe it is possible to have less or more than 4 mech's ready to deploy at once.
-There's also 4000/5000 cargo under storage, hinting at a limitation on amount of weapons/ammo/equipment you can haul with you.
-"Captured" and "Ransomed" under combat record. Captured shows up only under pilots, my guess is pilots of lancemates who's mechs are shot out from under them can be captured and you'd have to pay ransom to get them back.
Posted Image

Edited by Grimm Shado, 04 April 2019 - 10:20 AM.

#169 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:16 AM

Grimm,

Good catch! This is very exciting! They seem to have put a lot more effort and thought into the management aspect than I had initially thought. This really makes me happy. :)

I'd love to hark back to the days of MW3 where you had a limited number of chassis and equipment you can haul with you, meaning you have to make more careful and informed decisions regarding how you will outfit your mechs and how you will play missions.

I can't wait for this game!

#170 Grimm Shado

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:29 AM

I am very excited too Wolfos31!
There has been a lot of worrying PGI will screw up X or Y critical feature which will cause the whole game to fail. I am cautiously optimisitic. I had a lot of fun playing HBS Battletech in spite of a number of big QOL issues it had at launch, and turn based games not really being my thing. My attachment to the IP is strong enough that I think I will enjoy it even if it launches with a few rough spots. I'm super glad people are making games in BT universe again and hope MW5 is good and sells well.

#171 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:50 AM

View PostGrimm Shado, on 04 April 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

I am very excited too Wolfos31!
There has been a lot of worrying PGI will screw up X or Y critical feature which will cause the whole game to fail. I am cautiously optimisitic. I had a lot of fun playing HBS Battletech in spite of a number of big QOL issues it had at launch, and turn based games not really being my thing. My attachment to the IP is strong enough that I think I will enjoy it even if it launches with a few rough spots. I'm super glad people are making games in BT universe again and hope MW5 is good and sells well.

I"m cautiously optimistic too. The gameplay demos keep getting better, and now this is showing off the thought that is going on behind the scenes. My concern is becoming less and less that they were going to just turn something out using the IP without putting effort behind it. Time will tell, but so far it's promising.

#172 Snakesh1t

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:32 AM

With all I've heard about the restrictions on the mechlab, that's the only thing I don't like about MW5 going into it, however the feasibility of modding it to what we really want doesn't phase me in the purchase or excitement for the game.

#173 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostSnakesh1t, on 05 April 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

With all I've heard about the restrictions on the mechlab, that's the only thing I don't like about MW5 going into it, however the feasibility of modding it to what we really want doesn't phase me in the purchase or excitement for the game.

There's a number of people in the discord with their own plans. Some are gonna copy MWO's system to a T. Some are gonna make up their own things.

Mine's being covered on the MW5 Mercs Mods Plan in Battletech Discussion. There's going to be more than ballistics. Each of them tie in to what I'll be doing to the mechlab, which will be simultaneously more expansive and more restrictive than MWO's system. Wait a few weeks before getting too serious about reading it as it'll come together by then as I need a few separate threads for it.

#174 Thunderfrog

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:06 AM

Has it been confirmed that after we drop we will be able to switch between battlemechs in soloplayer?

I notice you assign mechwarriors and mechs, so maybe the AI mechs are on their own after drop, but if something goes wrong and I die do I have to rely on the CPU to correctly path itself to the target, engage intelligently, and then escape?

So many questions!

#175 Grimm Shado

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:18 AM

I believe in an AMA they said if you get your 'Mech shot out from under you you lose the mission.

#176 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

I know they're restricting customization. But I feel like if they gave techs the ability to specialize in specific weapons and equipment types to make modifications not normally available, it would create a different endgame with each play of the campaign. Which would increase replay value.

#177 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:03 PM

View PostThunderfrog, on 09 April 2019 - 07:06 AM, said:

Has it been confirmed that after we drop we will be able to switch between battlemechs in soloplayer?

I notice you assign mechwarriors and mechs, so maybe the AI mechs are on their own after drop, but if something goes wrong and I die do I have to rely on the CPU to correctly path itself to the target, engage intelligently, and then escape?

So many questions!

If you switched to another mech after dying that would be a brand new feature to the MW game AFAIK. Personally I think me dying should have a consequence of failing the mission and needing to retry. That's how it worked in MW4. I wouldn't trust my AI team mates to accomplish the mission on their own!

#178 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:47 AM

View PostWolfos31, on 16 April 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

If you switched to another mech after dying that would be a brand new feature to the MW game AFAIK. Personally I think me dying should have a consequence of failing the mission and needing to retry. That's how it worked in MW4. I wouldn't trust my AI team mates to accomplish the mission on their own!

If you switched to another mech when your originally chosen mech got destroyed, would you really want to?

If you finish the mission, but loose the mech, or loose alot of resources to repair the mech, why not just load a saved game?

Its like when I play X-Com.. if a team member dies, it's loading time!

#179 Thunderfrog

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:02 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 17 April 2019 - 12:47 AM, said:

If you switched to another mech when your originally chosen mech got destroyed, would you really want to?

If you finish the mission, but loose the mech, or loose alot of resources to repair the mech, why not just load a saved game?

Its like when I play X-Com.. if a team member dies, it's loading time!

Scum saving in Xcom!? Just think of all the squaddies who will never improve!

I fall more into the ironman crowd, not because I'm good, but because I feel cheaty. I've had to restart Battletech from Hare Brained so many times because I refuse to reload after losing important mechs...

#180 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:31 AM

View PostThunderfrog, on 28 May 2019 - 03:02 PM, said:

Scum saving in Xcom!? Just think of all the squaddies who will never improve!

I fall more into the ironman crowd, not because I'm good, but because I feel cheaty. I've had to restart Battletech from Hare Brained so many times because I refuse to reload after losing important mechs...

HBS BattleTech is one of those games that is perfect for Ironman playthroughs. I have also made a few Ironman runs of my own in that game.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook