423 replies to this topic

#401 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:32 AM

Edit. Word correction. Autocorrect apparently favors militarizes over... huh. There is no unique plural form for military as a plural. (Added just a little more, 'cause I can't help it.)

View PostFLG 01, on 15 January 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

Sorry, no. Again, Sarna is horribly inaccurate when it comes to weapon introduction dates. Here are the correct canon dates (IO, Universal Technology Advancement table, pp. 35-63):

Posted Image

One of the many reasons I prefer Mech Factory over Sarna. MF doesn't paraphrase, it carries its entries word for word.

The rifles entry irks me though. I know that means Extinction and Return. But I wish it more accurately said Retired (from military service) and uh... whatever is a good word for pulling a relic out of retirement. Since Rifles don't go extinct, the major military forces of the big factions just stopped using them since giant machine guns based on anti-air weapons and gatling guns that shoot explosive bullets that can penetrate just enough to put explosive power into the armor to destroy it from within were just better than single shot hard hitting cannons based on tanks that could no longer punch through the armor as they were designed to do before exploding. The damage that Rifles still do to a Barrier Armor Rating (BAR; think of it like a penetration rating for armor in Battletech) of ten relies too heavily on the kinetic brute force to do its damage.

They only went 'extinct' as far as active military service (though some vehicles do indeed still wield them.) Periphery nations, smaller merc units (like that of MW5 Mercs and Battletech by Harebrained Schemes), pirates and such still field them as a cheap low tech alternative to the venerable single blow of the immensely powerful siege cannon (aka the PPC.)

Edited by Koniving, 17 January 2018 - 07:35 AM.

#402 Conner Ward

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

http://www.masterunitlist.info is good too, for finding faction / era specific Mechs (and it is officially Canon).

#403 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:13 PM

I find it interesting that the IS UAC20 didn't come about until 3060, but it's been in the game since before the invasion.

#404 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:19 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 16 January 2018 - 11:13 PM, said:

I find it interesting that the IS UAC20 didn't come about until 3060, but it's been in the game since before the invasion.

How do you mean "in the game?" It certainly wasn't playable on the IS side until the last tech bump.

I've seen in the game files there are .pak files for mechs we've never used, you mean like that?

#405 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 16 January 2018 - 11:13 PM, said:

Yeah, we didn't get it playable until "3058", though with the civil war tech.

(Also sad... Fancy missiles like Arrow IV... Mech Mortars. And numerous other things that exists in the timeline aren't available to us.)

#406 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostIdToaster, on 15 January 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

The Clan's answer to Rotary Autocannons was... Rotary Autocannons. Diamond Shark started making experimental ones in 3069 and had them in full production 4 years later.

actually, Clans didn't adopt RACs till Dark Age. the original prototype was tested and ultimately abandoned in favor of HAGs. RACs were likely later adopted simply due to the breakdown in communications and therefore logistics in Dark Age, which meant getting replacement HAGs would've been a pain in the ***, hence they would've gone with the far-easier-to-produce Rotaries.

@Koniving: in fairness, think the main reason we don't get access to Arrow IVs is simply the sheer destructive power a single shot has, given it does its damage in a 45m radius and is roughly equivalent to a heavy autocannon in damage. something mounting two Arrow IV launchers could easily put down most of an enemy team in short order even with just near misses. don't really need to remind you how broken the Long Tom Strike was.

Edited by Arkhangel, 18 January 2018 - 09:43 AM.

#407 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 18 January 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

actually, Clans didn't adopt RACs till Dark Age. the original prototype was tested and ultimately abandoned in favor of HAGs. RACs were likely later adopted simply due to the breakdown in communications and therefore logistics in Dark Age, which meant getting replacement HAGs would've been a pain in the ***, hence they would've gone with the far-easier-to-produce Rotaries.

@Koniving: in fairness, think the main reason we don't get access to Arrow IVs is simply the sheer destructive power a single shot has, given it does its damage in a 45m radius and is roughly equivalent to a heavy autocannon in damage. something mounting two Arrow IV launchers could easily put down most of an enemy team in short order even with just near misses. don't really need to remind you how broken the Long Tom Strike was.
mmm arrow launchers.... I get what your saying but shouldn't the blast damage be mitigated by A; it's slow flight speed. B AMS. C getting into cover.

If it hits a building and I'm on the other side I shouldn't take damage. Or if it gets shot down.. ext ext.

Add to this maybe have a large min range and low ammo count per ton. So if you want to boat them you're going to have to choose to rather carry more ammo or have backup weps.

I would see these as a game changer for teams that like to "deathball" and or NASCAR. Clumped together like they are this would have a big impact on that group. Add one guy with a narc and party time!

#408 Hauptmann Keg Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

If Sarna's so dreadfully inaccurate, it would be nice if someone who knew their stuff would edit it. I've been out of the loop for like a decade before playing MWO.

#409 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:05 AM

View PostIdToaster, on 19 January 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

If Sarna's so dreadfully inaccurate, it would be nice if someone who knew their stuff would edit it. I've been out of the loop for like a decade before playing MWO.

It's not completely inaccurate.

Its sort of up and down. Some of it is as simple as poor word choice.
For example there's one under Thunder... Its got a Kali-Yama Big Bore. And yes the barrel looks insanely huge, but it even admits this is only a 120mm cannon, which means that immense size is impossible unless it is the smallest damn mech ever seen.

This image, by Karl Streiger, is made to be 105mm and 90mm respectively (top to bottom). Note how small it is compared to the man.
Now look at the Thunder's barrel... huh, the old image is missing, but here's another. This one actually has some proportion to it with a reference to scale. If the image doesn't work, go to this page.
Posted Image
Anyway, the original thunder image I had seen there depicted the barrel as wide open big as the arm, practically, with no inner barrel... and no size reference.

Problem with that entry, is the Kali-Yama Big Bore is 120mm and claimed that a single shot can do some serious ****.
The wording that would have made it accurate, is a single volley from said Big Bore.
After all a 120mm AC/5 does 1.67 damage per shot.
And a 150mm AC/20 does 2 damage per shot.
Where then, in such logic, can a 120mm weapon do 20 damage in a single shot?
But a single volley covers it.

My point is the inaccuracies come from original wording of given information.

Lets take an example: Guy reads text. Guy puts it in his own words on Sarna.net. Guy's words unintentionally change the intended meaning. Others take that, put it in their own words, and it spreads and worsens. It is so minor in its original change that either people don't even notice them or think they are not worth correcting.

I mean, a year is off, so what?
It says shot instead of burst or volley, conveys the same idea after all it's still one tick on the ammo counter either way..
Autocannon entry says it can be fired singly or bursts (which is accurate, you can fire them one at a time or in bursts), but people misconstrue that to mean "single shot = full damage" which isn't true..but the original text is accurate.
No one thinks of how it could be misinterpreted... in a game that encourages interpretation.
And thus... no one really goes around fact checking and fixing things.

I've only edited two Sarna pages.. and it was after checking the sources -- specifically one source -- and finding it had nothing to do with what was said. In fact there was no mention of the subject, let alone the unit, let alone even being about a unit. In its place, I added something similar from a different source that actually had to do with the unit. So the information wasn't entirely incorrect, but the source was bogus and probably falsely remembered or someone else had edited it to deliberately mess with the reference.

That's one of the problems with public wikis, anyone can do anything on it.

The other page I edited was Catapult, where I added another reference and more details about the Jester from its lore page on MWO. (It didn't even have the pilot name)

Just take Sarna with a grain of salt or a small filter. Or check the sources.

Anyone ever seen the one about the average person eating spiders daily?

This is an amazing watch on this very topic.

(Also see what I did there, I changed a single word to make it inaccurate from the title, which completely changed the entire meaning of the sentence.)

Edited by Koniving, 22 January 2018 - 07:25 AM.

#410 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

Koniving

nice video

8 spiders indeed

a spider is a 30 ton mech no way i am swallowing 8 in my sleep LOL

#411 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

View PostLynxOGrady, on 05 January 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

that... doesnt make sense. Any mech brought into the game can be used in FP, so if a mech from 3063 is brought into the game... the game must be at 3063

Did you miss the whole Civil War release/timeline moving forward? This isn't news.

That, and that PGI has repeatedly stated that they will release any mech, as long as the majority of its variants contain weapons that are already in game.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 31 January 2018 - 01:12 PM.

#412 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 15 January 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

Sorry, no. Again, Sarna is horribly inaccurate when it comes to weapon introduction dates. Here are the correct canon dates (IO, Universal Technology Advancement table, pp. 35-63):

Posted Image

Light Autocannons! Do. Want! (also, Rifles would be excellent in lighter mechs, but those are not wide-spread in IS currently)

BTW, what's an Improved Autocannon? If those are like the IS versions, but as the other Clan weapons, are a little lighter/smaller, DO WANT!!!

#413 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

As a light mech pilot, seriously, THANKYOU for releasing an inner sphere mech with such a large posterior. Time to channel my sir mixalot baby!

#414 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

Fafnir being a Norse dragon probably means we gonna score a nice dragon badge from this mech pack . :P

#415 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

I do want to buy a fafnir pack for my IS account but only when it's available . This buy now and get later does not work for me .

#416 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

i would have instantly dropped money on it if was closer to this
Posted Image
i like the arms of the MOW one but i hate the body. i hated MW4 take on it.
i may get one only when it goes on CBills and drops to 50% off.
also paint needs striped and redone

oh the arms on my miniature is form a Sagittaire.

Posted Image

Edited by The Boneshaman, 16 March 2018 - 01:57 PM.

#417 SVTmk

• 1,875 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:44 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#418 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

I... it's so huge, it's so wide and... the hit-boxes, my God the hit-boxes are massive. It's going to be a "blast" seeing these on the field ;)

#419 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:31 PM

Its 100 ton assault mech . Thats 100 tons of guns and armour fully customizable at a mech lab,s click notice .

Sooo naturally you man childs worry about the big bewbs instead . Posted Image Boy if only i had mech credit for every time i saw an OMG look at that hitbox size comment .

You are an assault mech , the new April fashionably FAF kid on the block . Your 'hitboxes" could be A cup size or smaller , everyone is still going to shoot hellfire rockets on your head when they see you .

Edited by Pain G0D, 03 April 2018 - 09:32 PM.

#420 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

View PostPain G0D, on 03 April 2018 - 09:31 PM, said:

Its 100 ton assault mech . Thats 100 tons of guns and armour fully customizable at a mech lab,s click notice .

Sooo naturally you man childs worry about the big bewbs instead . Posted Image Boy if only i had mech credit for every time i saw an OMG look at that hitbox size comment .

You are an assault mech , the new April fashionably FAF kid on the block . Your 'hitboxes" could be A cup size or smaller , everyone is still going to shoot hellfire rockets on your head when they see you .

True, the MWO community does tend to focus on the new releases first. True it's an Assault 'Mech, but I hope they give it some armor/structure quirks as those STs are going to be super easy to pop from afar. Wait, what am I saying? I didn't order this thing... No, nevermind PGI, don't give it any quirks, I look forward to increasing my c-bills from components destroyed. Posted Image

Also, "man childs"? Really? Who mentioned "bewbs"? Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users