Does Mwo Die When Mw5 Comes On Line.

95 replies to this topic

#1 Baba_Yaga

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

Let's see if PGI Kills MWO When MW 5 comes on line.

#2 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:10 AM

Does BMW stop making 325's because the 330i came out?

#3 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

Well I won't be holding my breath.

This game will continue. I don't even think my prediction of the Asian, and possibly the European servers being closed this year is still a valid point of view.

so another doom saying thread won't change anything

#4 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

Doubt it. MWO provide multiplayer, MW5M provides off-line singel player and co-op for up to 4.
They will complement each other, not fighting over which one drag in new and old players the most.
Also we get Battletech which provides yet another flavor for players to taste.

Sure there will be players coming and going for all three games, but that natural and also gives players the option of what kind of game they want to play. Varity is the spice. Also they are all Battletech universe games. So everyone interested in that will switch at will between them and choose the one they find most comfortable to play with.
I know that I will spend time on all three games. If I want to play alone or with some coop against A.I, well BT and MW5 it is. If with only other players, yeah MWO is the deal then.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

As long as mechpacks are being released, people will keep playing this game.

#6 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

I hope so. I've spent some money here, but if they build a pvp mode, I'd rather reinvest in what looks so far to be a better game than keep throwing money at this mech-pack pile up.

#7 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

I have a gut feeling that if MW5 does well there will be a point where MWO 2 is released as an expansion to it.

And I don't see them keeping up servers for two online games for long.

#8 valrond

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 319 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

View PostDago Red, on 07 January 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

I have a gut feeling that if MW5 does well there will be a point where MWO 2 is released as an expansion to it.

And I don't see them keeping up servers for two online games for long.

You don't make MWO 2. MWO is free to play, and, as such, the game is evolving, that is the premise of every F2P game I have played, even much older games like World of Warcraft (not free to play, but still, subscription game), it's like what, 15 years old?

Besides, who will pay for all of the mechs we already own in MWO? Cause I certainly will not pay for any mechs that I own in MWO if there is a MWO 2.

#9 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

View Postvalrond, on 07 January 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

You don't make MWO 2. MWO is free to play, and, as such, the game is evolving, that is the premise of every F2P game I have played, even much older games like World of Warcraft (not free to play, but still, subscription game), it's like what, 15 years old?

Besides, who will pay for all of the mechs we already own in MWO? Cause I certainly will not pay for any mechs that I own in MWO if there is a MWO 2.

I'm just saying it seems much more likely than them actually updating this game to a non garbage engine. And frankly switching over to UE might very well be worth losing a lot.

Maybe they could even make dynamic convergence work on that engine.

Edited by Dago Red, 07 January 2018 - 08:57 AM.

#10 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

MWO was a great startup. The biggest flaw, wich infact also affects gameplay and other downsides of MWO, is the game engine.
Cryengine, is not a good engine for MWO

MW5, has the far better, flexible Unreal 4.

Something that has been done in the past, is re-launching games. After MW5, it would be nice if they re-launch MWO, but with Unreal 4 engine instead of Cryengine.

I have seen some people here mentioning the many possibilities UR4 engine can provide MWO. So i hope they go that way.

#11 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

MWO will die when 1 of 3 things happens.

1. MW5 gets MP support (it's going to happen eventually)
2. MWO2 gets released
3. PGI no longer makes enough money from MC.PT/Mech pack sales to keep it running

#12 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

View PostDago Red, on 07 January 2018 - 08:57 AM, said:

And frankly switching over to UE might very well be worth losing a lot.

Maybe they could even make dynamic convergence work on that engine.

Agreed. Unreal engine and AI support vehicles alone make it better than what we have. Add to that the opportunity to re-approach things like convergence, LBX variable ammo, heat, etc. Also, since MW:5 is set firmly in 3025, it's a golden opportunity to roll-back the timeline and maybe develop solid 3rd-4th Succession War Eras in a better-realized CW before building up to an awesome Clan Invasion.

The whales will complain, of course. What else is new?

#13 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

Is the AE86 dead and forgotten because of the GT86? No. Just because a new shiny comes out, doesn't mean the past relic has to die out. MWO will be alive as long as people keep playing and paying into it.

#14 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

View PostN0ni, on 07 January 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Is the AE86 dead and forgotten because of the GT86? No. Just because a new shiny comes out, doesn't mean the past relic has to die out. MWO will be alive as long as people keep playing and paying into it.

Cars don't keep costing the company that produced them server upkeep.

#15 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

View PostDago Red, on 07 January 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Cars don't keep costing the company that produced them server upkeep.

Wasn't the point. The point was the old things (MWO) will still be around when the new stuff (MW5) releases just like other F2P games have been around all these years. Population might suffer, but people will still feel like hopping on even just for old times sake.

#16 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

MW5 isn't going to be very good.

If Russ is putting all his cards in the MW5 hat, then maybe he'll tank the entire company in the process, I guess that would count as killing MWo.

#17 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:32 AM

View Postvalrond, on 07 January 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

I think Valrond has the real, down and dirty, let's get jiggy question for PGI !! It's a "those who shall cross must answer the riddle" moment.

If PGI gets that right, both will complement each other.....a win-win. If not, well it is going to be interesting to see how much angst and frustration actually builds and which mode; MWO or MW5 wins......

#18 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

I doubt MWO will die when MW5 comes out. They're very different games. Based on the same IP, yeah, sure. But given that you have to PAY for MW5, and MWO is F2P?

Do I expect server population to dip when MW5 comes out? Yes, absolutely. Probably for a couple weeks. as much time as it takes the "anything Battletech related" segment of the fanbase to run through the campaign two or three times (at least one of which in 4-player co-op). Then they'll come back to MWO, because of the PvP. And, of course, they'll also come back to b****, whine, and complain about how PGI f***ed everything up, is horrible and incompetent, and should have the rights taken away from them, etc. ... And then buy another mechpack. I swear, the userbase for this game is so bizarre at times. Can't shut up about how much they hate the game and PGI, but keep playing it and throwing money at them.

#19 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

Doubt it. As for loosing an investment in mechs here that really won't happen as the same mech models are used in both the new bt/mw games. make a back up copy of the game data if you're that worried about your past cash paid mechs.

We all know how russ, paul when provoked by russ, and bryan can talk and make you love their car salesman routine but as shown in the past here they really can't deliver what they told you or what you thought they told you. Long tom any one? Yeah that looked cool in the preview video then you saw the rest. Same with the cw videos.

Pgi has always been a wait till it goes live or in mw5s case goes to retail to see how well or badly done whatever it is.

#20 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

I'd rather hope for a scenario where PGI decides not to kill a golden goose, after a so-so sells of MW5. Because i doubt they can make it more interesting than BattleTech game by HBS. Being a shooter instead of tactics doesn't cut it for me. I do wish a success of MW5, btw.
They will return where money are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users