95 replies to this topic

#41 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

View PostEscef, on 07 January 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

If you honestly think that's what he was saying than you don't understand analogies.

If you honestly didn't know that I knew what he said then you don't understand understanding.

#42 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

MW5 will be the place where all the people who just wanted a single player mechwarrior game go. MWO will likely become more competitive without those guys sandbagging it and will be able to expand on its E-sports operations and team based gameplay.

Overall its a win-win for both parties.

#43 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 07 January 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

MW5 will be the place where all the people who just wanted a single player mechwarrior game go. MWO will likely become more competitive without those guys sandbagging it and will be able to expand on its E-sports operations and team based gameplay.

Overall its a win-win for both parties.

The majority of the dead weight players or the sandbaggers most likely won't be getting MW5:M due to various reasons. Most of the higher skill players are likely to pick up MW5:M due to being Battletech/Mechwarrior vets who want their fix, I know I will be grabbing both BT and MW5 this year.

#44 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

View PostShadowomega1, on 07 January 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

The majority of the dead weight players or the sandbaggers most likely won't be getting MW5:M due to various reasons. Most of the higher skill players are likely to pick up MW5:M due to being Battletech/Mechwarrior vets who want their fix, I know I will be grabbing both BT and MW5 this year.

Those higher skill players will still want their fix of PvP action that only MWO would be giving. Sad for those sandbaggers though, they'd do great in a single player environment. Though I assume the ones who turn off all chat and everything practically live in one already.

#45 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

A single player game is like masturbation right? You get tired of it eventually... maybe

#46 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

View PostBaba_Yaga, on 07 January 2018 - 08:08 AM, said:

Let's see if PGI Kills MWO When MW 5 comes on line.

My assumption is no.
MWO initially attracted all the old Mechwarrior PC gamers, and then promptly alienated a big chunk and shooed them off once they were done harvesting their founder monies.

MW5 is said to not have multiplayer, save for maybe some co-op missions. The original MWO is likely to hang around and probably become it's own thing, as all the "Corerule Ignore" types will probably come back once they get bored of the single player campaign.

#47 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 07 January 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

I hope so. I've spent some money here, but if they build a pvp mode, I'd rather reinvest in what looks so far to be a better game than keep throwing money at this mech-pack pile up.

Unless you've actually seen the full game first hand, MW5 is still all smoke and mirrors at this point.

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 07 January 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

MWO will die when 1 of 3 things happens.

1. MW5 gets MP support (it's going to happen eventually)
2. MWO2 gets released
3. PGI no longer makes enough money from MC.PT/Mech pack sales to keep it running

4. MW5 flops and PGI suffers heavy losses as a result.

#48 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

View PostBrody319, on 07 January 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

Its not like MW5 will require constant maintenance and additional content like MWO does being that it is a single player game so everyone acting like supporting both games would be a big strain, to me, seem to be knee jerk reactionaries.

Well things will also depend on how buggy MW5 is when it comes out and how much PGI is willing to spend to fix it.

#49 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 January 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

Well things will also depend on how buggy MW5 is when it comes out and how much PGI is willing to spend to fix it.

Even if MW5 is a buggy mess they would only need to support it long enough to get it so around 70% of users could play it without issue and there are no hard crashes. Still wouldn't suck to much money and staff away from MW:O.

They mentioned full mod support so if they can just make it so users can run servers I think MW5 would be a good investment. It would have a long life and users could patch it if any big bugs remain.

#50 Steelmesh

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

Considering the ever growing toxicity of this game, and the fact that MW5 will have coop.. there's a good chance a huge piece of the player base will migrate to MW5..

Whether of not the game survives after this, depends greatly on weather or not PGI makes some radical changes.. like introducing random maps, better game modes, and cleaning up toxicity..

#51 Greyboots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:24 AM

View PostBaba_Yaga, on 07 January 2018 - 08:08 AM, said:

Let's see if PGI Kills MWO When MW 5 comes on line.

lol no. MW5 is going to be a thing for about 6 weeks before it kind of fades into the background because it has no multiplayer; specifically so they don't kill off MWO.

#52 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:57 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 January 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

Why not use this as an opportunity to get your customers excited for a potential future...with MWO or with its successor, be it MW5 or whatever? Why stay silent in view of this repeatedly raised concern, especially given your history? Imho, their silence is either because they honestly don't have a future plan or they have one that a good chunk of folks are not going to be happy about. Its one or the other.

View PostBrody319, on 07 January 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

Probably because they do want to wait to see how MW5 plays out.

If its a big rousing success then they would probably look at switching over to support MW5 and shut down MWO
If its a luke warm or bad response then they just keep MWO going.

Its not like MW5 will require constant maintenance and additional content like MWO does being that it is a single player game so everyone acting like supporting both games would be a big strain, to me, seem to be knee jerk reactionaries.

Yes, and that's my point. The choice is:

Stay silent, wait and see, let folks assume the worst cuz, our new game might suck or it might not.
or
"Lets get out ahead of this, lets use this as an opportunity and get folks excited about MWO 's possible future either way with or without MW5."

I know, I get it. It's PGI, their history of trying to market is well known: they know best and they are content with their niche community assuming the worst and letting things play out from there. They may have some grand plan of guaranteed success, but god knows they will never share it with us until we have all left the game for something else.

Edited by Bud Crue, 08 January 2018 - 02:58 AM.

#53 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

AI!

First, PGI must program a good AI.

Posted Image Posted Image

#54 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:36 AM

The biggest problem with the MWo will die, or people will flee to MW5 statemets -

PGI is producing MW5

Have they done anything with MWo to make you think they are capable of designing good AI, much less a good campaign experience? I haven't seen it.

They can't even get their T5 ai bots to hit R and stop team killing yet.

#55 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:37 AM

I see MWO as the online element and MW5 as the single player/co-op element. I think they can co-exist together.

MWO is long in the tooth at this point, so there is no guarantees it won't see a noticeable impact. Then again, I wouldn't doubt numbers would rebound anyway once people start completing the majority of what MW5 has to offer. Hopefully MW5 will receive some good value DLC. If it does, numbers might fluctuate around those releases as well.

Overall I am sure both can successfully coexist. After all, both products don't exactly step on each other's toes (which I am sure was the idea).

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 08 January 2018 - 03:38 AM.

#56 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:29 AM

View PostBrody319, on 07 January 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

Even if MW5 is a buggy mess they would only need to support it long enough to get it so around 70% of users could play it without issue and there are no hard crashes. Still wouldn't suck to much money and staff away from MW:O.

Hence my "how much PGI is willing to spend to fix it" bit.

View PostBrody319, on 07 January 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

They mentioned full mod support so if they can just make it so users can run servers I think MW5 would be a good investment. It would have a long life and users could patch it if any big bugs remain.

What makes you think PGI will allow user-hosted servers?

Edited by Mystere, 08 January 2018 - 11:37 AM.

#57 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

View PostGreyboots, on 08 January 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

lol no. MW5 is going to be a thing for about 6 weeks before it kind of fades into the background because it has no multiplayer; specifically so they don't kill off MWO.

I think you underestimate how hungry BT fans are for an SP MW experience. If MW5 is decent and has any level of replayability it's going to be around for a while. Especially if they make good on their promise to make the thing co-op.

#58 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

I know it's a forum tradition to call every mech as DoA, but isn't it a bit early to be calling it on all of MW5?

I ain't pre-ordering squat because I'm paranoid like that, but if MW5 turns out to be even passably playable I'm likely to pick it up after launch. A co-op mechwarrior game with mods? Practically the only way I can see that being ruined is if it's bought by EA.

#59 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

Another reason for MWO to keep going, every mech they model is worth twice the value. As long as they're still turning out a profit off MWO. They can keep the lights on. Keep adding mechs. Perhaps create some map assets they can use in both games. They can justify more programmers in the company to swap around between projects. Though I imagine the programmers are all crossing their fingers they won't get stuck working on MWO's CryFrankenEngine.

#60 KevinZhang

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

Wait did Destiny die when Destiny 2 came out??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users