95 replies to this topic

#61 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

View PostKevinZhang, on 08 January 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

Wait did Destiny die when Destiny 2 came out??

No, Destiny 2 died when Destiny 2 came out. RIP Bungie, we hardly knew thee.

#62 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

View PostKevinZhang, on 08 January 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

Wait did Destiny die when Destiny 2 came out??

No, but Destiny 2 was coughing up huge sums of ____ when it came out!

#63 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 07 January 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

A single player game is like masturbation right? You get tired of it eventually... maybe

Is that how you feel about reading a book?

#64 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

in the moment im seeing only a dukeNukem Mechwarrior 5 with coop against AI bots with Canonfodder AI ..ok procedual terrian and destroyblae Bases ...the some element evry and evry and evry of each Map ? Coop for 4 ?! we have with no players than 3 AI Lancecompadres? only for me interesting scripting Missions with ambient not 1000x generic Missions with drop yxz Units with yxz base.
Thats miles away from the older MW Titles and no MP = one Shot game :( ...no interest

#65 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

I'm just going to mod in some modern day tanks and what the hell might as well throw in some skyrim dragons. All you worried about loosing your mwo investment better make a back up copy of the game data.

#66 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:07 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 11 January 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

I'm just going to mod in some modern day tanks and what the hell might as well throw in some skyrim dragons. All you worried about loosing your mwo investment better make a back up copy of the game data.

What's the point of the saved game data when the servers are eventually shut down?

#67 Stinger554

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:02 PM

View PostMystere, on 11 January 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

What's the point of the saved game data when the servers are eventually shut down?

Does anything important even get saved locally? Like wtf saving local game data usually doesn't do anything with online games as most of it is stored server side.

#68 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

View PostStinger554, on 11 January 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

Does anything important even get saved locally? Like wtf saving local game data usually doesn't do anything with online games as most of it is stored server side.

I know I could use my old City of Heroes/Villains data to make mechanima videos if I was moved to look up how to manipulate the save/replay features in the software... Beyond that, local client data and game installs can only provide so much info.

#69 Jeldar Darkmantle

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

View PostEscef, on 07 January 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

I doubt MWO will die when MW5 comes out. They're very different games. Based on the same IP, yeah, sure. But given that you have to PAY for MW5, and MWO is F2P?

Do I expect server population to dip when MW5 comes out? Yes, absolutely. Probably for a couple weeks. as much time as it takes the "anything Battletech related" segment of the fanbase to run through the campaign two or three times (at least one of which in 4-player co-op). Then they'll come back to MWO, because of the PvP. And, of course, they'll also come back to b****, whine, and complain about how PGI f***ed everything up, is horrible and incompetent, and should have the rights taken away from them, etc. ... And then buy another mechpack. I swear, the userbase for this game is so bizarre at times. Can't shut up about how much they hate the game and PGI, but keep playing it and throwing money at them.

The same exact thing is true for Star Trek Online. The forums are nothing but players whining how the company is ruining the game and IP, yet they keep buying every new ship that is released for money. SMH

#70 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

View PostEscef, on 11 January 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

I know I could use my old City of Heroes/Villains data to make mechanima videos if I was moved to look up how to manipulate the save/replay features in the software... Beyond that, local client data and game installs can only provide so much info.

Oof why'd you have to bring up
COH/COV. That's still a painful wound.

#71 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

View PostDago Red, on 11 January 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Oof why'd you have to bring up
COH/COV. That's still a painful wound.

I was a pretty casual player of the game, but I still miss it at times. There were one or two fan projects to make spiritual successors, City of Titans is one of them and still creeping towards completion.

#72 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

Nah, no matter how much whining people do on the forums about this that and the other, people inherently enjoy competition, a challenge, a curiosity of how will this or that load out work, in X or Y chassis/variant.

Also, the people represented here are a very small minority and viewpoint of whats actually in game.

Looking at it from professional standpoint, its been what, 5-6 years now? And there is still active development going on, new ideas being thrown around ect ect ect...if something is dying, people get laid off, projects stop moving forward, notable assets start disappearing, event/promotions become executed very poorly.

If you're observant the opposite is occurring, development continues, PGI is placing more funds into streamers pockets for give aways in an attempt to generate a larger online presence, events are being refined through each iteration, streams are now approaching 200+ people consistently. I mean yeah, relative to AAA titles that is nothing but for MWO, thats not bad, not at all.

Lastly...lets be real, you're going to blow through the campaign in like 2 days(I hope, game better not be like 4 hours long), and be bored again...then what are you going to do...

...yep, go right back to MWO's mechlab...

Edited by Humpday, 11 January 2018 - 08:58 PM.

#73 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:28 AM

a single game with nor really MP and a MP game with no Pve ...boths bad ideas ...better ideas we seeing in Star Conflict or War Thunder ..all experience and Power going in one game..in the moment looks more to a jump of the next Horse thats not dead in the Moment

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 12 January 2018 - 03:29 AM.

#74 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

View PostAlphaEtOmega, on 07 January 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

Why should anyone stop playing a multiplayer PvP game because a single player PvE game get released?

One statement I've seen a fair few times regarding MWO is that people play it because it's the only contemporary MechWarrior title. And whether that goes for many players or just a select few, the simple fact is that there is going to be a new MechWarrior title around. And a new BattleTech title, to boot. Other ways to get your Mech fix.

The point isn't "PvE game pulling in PvP players" , but "MechWarrior game pulling in MechWarrior" players. A legitimate concern.

We'll see if PvP and being further down the time line is enough for players to come back to MWO (and drop cash on it).

#75 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 08 January 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

No, Destiny 2 died when Destiny 2 came out. RIP Bungie, we hardly knew thee.

I have been a die- hard Halo fan since 2001, and still kinda is. But after the idiotic deal with Activision AND kicking the best music composer AND story writer, I ve given up on Bungie until they are free from Activision. 343 ,those who took over the Halo franchise, made a disasterous blunder with the Halo storyline regarding Halo 5, thanks to a lousy writer, oh and dont forget micreffingtransactions!

Totally off-topic but gosh once honorable companies have died off in droves the last decades. Effing shame!

#76 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

We'll see if PvP and being further down the time line is enough for players to come back to MWO (and drop cash on it).
the mechwarrior not leaves MW ...the leaves PGI. and thats the great problem by MW5 ...its from PGI and all this fails in Marketing and Gamedesign...and with Modes ...a Not roleplay Title ..why you play it again ???? we now have not the Great Modscene like 20 Years before and mods good for a High Quality Title with a Good Base and a Single palyer Title only bring once Money.
Give each folk again PGI 60 Bucks for a Game ??????? Nowhere heard from the No Mans sky fail ??? and PGIs problems

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 13 January 2018 - 10:10 PM.

#77 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

Most stand alone MW players will disappear for a few days... win the game... then be back here until they next want to binge a solo player campaign again. Really what PGI will need to do is keep releasing campaign packs for MW5 every six months.

View PostLuminis, on 13 January 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

One statement I've seen a fair few times regarding MWO is that people play it because it's the only contemporary MechWarrior title. And whether that goes for many players or just a select few, the simple fact is that there is going to be a new MechWarrior title around. And a new BattleTech title, to boot. Other ways to get your Mech fix.

I skipped "airmech" but that's partially because it struck me as more anime transformers/gundam ish. Is it still being played ?

#78 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

View PostN0ni, on 07 January 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Is the AE86 dead and forgotten because of the GT86? No. Just because a new shiny comes out, doesn't mean the past relic has to die out. MWO will be alive as long as people keep playing and paying into it.

Let me know when you find an ae86. An ae86 is like an old game that lost all of its support awhile ago, amd people just came back and found out how great it is, but now that game is unplayable nearly. Other old games like WoW and many others are old but they never lost their playerbase. Those are like the mazda miata. Some even have sequels but people still come back to the old one due to mods, cheaper price, etc. unfortunately mwo is no ae86 of a game. Its sort of like a ford probe, it will be forgotten if PGI makes a new MWO game with the unreal engine. The ford probe was good, but it could never replace the mustang. I fear that a new MWO will be out in a couple years, and i will lose all the money i spent when this game becomes inactive.

#79 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

View PostWindscape, on 14 January 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

Let me know when you find an ae86.

I found one last year during summer (and actually it was a co-worker that showed me on his phone). Someone was selling their Trueno in the Bay Area (Cali) with a 16v 4AGE for $7,000. I called the guy to ask if we could set up a day that i can travel down to take a better look at it (you know, better look at the interior and whatnot) and he was more than happy to set up a time that worked for both of us. So i drove down, asked a bunch of questions about the car, let the guy know i was still interested but wanted to check up on legal stuff for it before going further and went home to call BAR about the engine because of a bunch of car legal crap California has and i'm not about to waste 7 grand on something i potentially couldn't drive on the road legally.

Called the guy back to set up another day, this time a buddy of mine gave me a ride down there, we went and got the car checked out (smog etc) then went to the DMV to transfer ownership/register the car in my name (which seemed like it took forever, because the DMV has that effect) and then drove back and sold the 92 Accord to a neighbor that needed a car and liked mine that i let them borrow from time to time (and they fixed a couple things in it already, nicest people ever).

Turns out you can in fact have a 16v 4AGE or first gen 4AGZE as long as that version was offered in a US car. The more you learn. Now all it needs is to be RHD converted and it'll be complete.

#80 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:07 AM

View PostN0ni, on 14 January 2018 - 11:40 PM, said:

I found one last year during summer (and actually it was a co-worker that showed me on his phone). Someone was selling their Trueno in the Bay Area (Cali) with a 16v 4AGE for $7,000. I called the guy to ask if we could set up a day that i can travel down to take a better look at it (you know, better look at the interior and whatnot) and he was more than happy to set up a time that worked for both of us. So i drove down, asked a bunch of questions about the car, let the guy know i was still interested but wanted to check up on legal stuff for it before going further and went home to call BAR about the engine because of a bunch of car legal crap California has and i'm not about to waste 7 grand on something i potentially couldn't drive on the road legally.

Called the guy back to set up another day, this time a buddy of mine gave me a ride down there, we went and got the car checked out (smog etc) then went to the DMV to transfer ownership/register the car in my name (which seemed like it took forever, because the DMV has that effect) and then drove back and sold the 92 Accord to a neighbor that needed a car and liked mine that i let them borrow from time to time (and they fixed a couple things in it already, nicest people ever).

Turns out you can in fact have a 16v 4AGE or first gen 4AGZE as long as that version was offered in a US car. The more you learn. Now all it needs is to be RHD converted and it'll be complete.

Congrats on finding one. I hope to obtain one someday, but you have to really keep an eye on the forums to buy one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users