General Consensus Of Supply Caches?

66 replies to this topic

#41 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

Me - "Oh, cool, there's a Mech in this one."

*Unlocks cache*

Me - "Just what I needed, another Clan AMS system.....yay...."

I think I've gotten something I found useful or worth the key one time. The rest that I've opened have been crap items. 98% just get sold for the pittance they're worth.

#42 Potatomasher69

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

They are ******* terrible

Just more **** to disappoint people, at least PGI could make the cache's nice to keep the gambling crowd interested.

EDIT, seriously, put some semi rare crap in there that pilots can use to get achievements with, make it limited tech or something. PGI scores an 'F' at trying to keep the achievement/gambling/temporary fix crowd interested.

Edited by Potatomasher69, 13 January 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#43 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

View PostYosharian, on 13 January 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

It boggles my mind to see a player like you defending loot boxes. (and the people upvoting you, lmao)

> For blue items, you have around 40-50% chance on getting the 50 MC prize, and even if you miss it the 250K C-Bill is pretty decent

Spend my free MC from events... on a chance to get more MC? Wowzers, what a great deal!

MC is not worth spending to get 250k cbills. I can get that in two matches.

The chances of getting the other items you mentioned are miniscule.

Seriously, what the ****.

The only thing you should be spending MC on is mech bays during sales, and when you have enough mech bays, paint schemes to make your mech look less ****.

Loot boxes are a ******* gambling scam. Stop spending money on them, stop supporting them in games, stop telling other people they're good value for money (lmao). If you want MC or to support PGI, just buy some MC.

Except I got more MCs, and MC purchasable items from select crates (I don't open every single one like an idiot), than the amount of MC I would have theoretically spent on it. I say theoretically cause I opened them all with free keys. The net gain is thus positive. Plus, I said supply crates are great for newer players, as it allows them to get a lot of C-Bills to help them to purchase mechs. If you are a veteran player that is choking with C-Bills you may ignore crates, but I for one will not ignore certain crates, as I know that I will have net positive gain from opening them.

Plus crates are always good for 50,000 C-Bill sale value, so it is far better to have them than not have them.

#44 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

I used about 20 or so of the 40ish free keys I've gotten.

I got 1 item I wanted, the Atlas head decal. That is 500MC saved for me, every other box has been garbage.

Since keys are only 25mc each, a refund of the keys I used would be 500MC so I didn't lose anything in the long run.

The chances that you'll get anything worthwhile is very very very low, so just having them refund them (if they do) then you'll be better off than if you spent them.

#45 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

The caches are useless junk. I don't think I ever got anything useful from them. Sure, the junk is often worth more than the $50,000 in selling them, though not always, but never worth spending 25 MC on some crud I could buy in a game or two if I even wanted it. And as valuable as a PPC might be, I don't need my 30th added to my collection.

They also dropped the ball when the New Tech was released. They should have made getting New Tech an option in the supply caches. Getting your 30th AC5 is stupid, but winning a RAC5 a few days after it is available would save some in-game money. Another lost opportunity.

#46 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

View PostYosharian, on 12 January 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

This makes no sense. How is it a 'waste'?

It's wasteful to spend your hard-earned real money on trash items

First off, I haven't spent a single dime of my real life cash to open boxes...all done with free mc and free keys.

Out of my boxes I got 2 mechs (Rifleman and Jägermech) at least 5k+ mc's, more than 5m+ in c-bills (pure c-bills plus selling items).......

Yes, it would've been a waste to sell those!

Edited by Phoolan Devi, 14 January 2018 - 09:00 AM.

#47 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Yesterday I opened four caches. I use a rough figure of 250MC per dollar. One of them gave me 50MC so the cost per cache was 12.5MC, or about a nickel. But wait, I used discounted MC purchased over the holidays so the average is now about 8.5MC per cache, or about three cents.

Not exactly gambling away the kid's college fund Posted Image .

If you are strictly f2p then yeah, maybe it's better to save your MC, but depending on the cache, it might be worth taking a chance.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#48 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

I use the free keys as and when I get a box.

No way would I spend RL money on them, but I see no reason not to use now, against what might happen 12 month from now.

#49 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

I like the caches and want to open more, I buy basic cbill non hero mechs with MC, and I do XP to GXP conversions from time to time when I feel like it.

Its like I'm here to like the opposite of everyone else.

#50 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

They almost never drop and when they do they always drop ****.

#51 Tincan Nightmare

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

I wish they would take out the 'useless' items, like standard items such as weapon systems or omnipods. Just give c-bills, mc, decals, mech bays, and mechs! I could even see hero pods for Omni's as well, but why 'reward' people with say an AC5 or an Adder prime left arm omnipod? I have only ever used free keys to open them, but I would never spend money on something that is likely to give me what's already available for c-bills in game (and that I might already have a large number of in stock). Another good option would be free skill points that can be assigned to any mech to help players level up, especially if it was a decent number (say a pack of 10 or 20).

#52 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

View PostYosharian, on 13 January 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

It boggles my mind to see a player like you defending loot boxes. (and the people upvoting you, lmao)

> For blue items, you have around 40-50% chance on getting the 50 MC prize, and even if you miss it the 250K C-Bill is pretty decent

Spend my free MC from events... on a chance to get more MC? Wowzers, what a great deal!

MC is not worth spending to get 250k cbills. I can get that in two matches.

The chances of getting the other items you mentioned are miniscule.

Seriously, what the ****.

The only thing you should be spending MC on is mech bays during sales, and when you have enough mech bays, paint schemes to make your mech look less ****.

Loot boxes are a ******* gambling scam. Stop spending money on them, stop supporting them in games, stop telling other people they're good value for money (lmao). If you want MC or to support PGI, just buy some MC.

and yet you completely discount my actual stats on opening them.. you know the one that i have gotten more than the OPEN MC value in mechbays alone.. (yes i also use free keys, so it's even a bigger bonus)

The chances of other items is not minuscule.. I get 1 day free premiums all the time when i open which i do in lots of 10. I've gotten many free bays, at a 300 MC value each. I don't even add in the decal value and i still make out better than just buying bays and premium alone. Even if i bought my keys for 250, and opened 10, i'll typically get a day of premium or a bay which covers that cost,, and then i easily get 2-3-4m worth of c-bills in items, and entire night of playing for me, on top of all the bonus credits i get from the premium being active, which means that 250 MC, just turned into an easy 5m+ between the items i got and the money i made in the next few hours. A few times i've pulled in close to 10m cause i had longer to play like on a weekend.

The other day i had a really nice open of 10 boxes.. I got an XL-280 engine, a Gauss rifle, large pulse, mechbay, and 1k MC. But even my normal pulls, a free bay, or a day premium is pretty much a given if you are even semi picky about the types of boxes you open.

and yea,, math works.. If you spend 25 MC to get 50, that is a +25 gain. Maybe not awesome, but certainly a gain non-the-less, and if you pulled a nice weapon you are ahead.. 7 bucks gets you 48 crates should net you an easy 25m+ in items, and that is not counting a rare pull.. Crates typically sold item value is around 250k at least on average if you keep items its even more. But who needs math...

I should just start making open vids and posting them to show how they actually are a nice bonus especially for people that don't spend 100's or 1k's of dollars, or play 5k+ matches over a year. If you do either, then they aren't that big of a deal.. if not, folks might consider it a decent way to add items to your account

Edited by JC Daxion, 14 January 2018 - 03:12 PM.

#53 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

View PostPhoolan Devi, on 14 January 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

First off, I haven't spent a single dime of my real life cash to open boxes...all done with free mc and free keys.

Out of my boxes I got 2 mechs (Rifleman and Jägermech) at least 5k+ mc's, more than 5m+ in c-bills (pure c-bills plus selling items).......

damn dude.. how many crates have you opened? I've yet to get a mech,, i think im at about 125 crates

#54 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

Has anyone noticed any newer tech in the recent caches, like er-medium lasers or light engines?

Also, I must agree with others as far as the contents of the caches.
It's not very desirable to win an omnipod if you have a stable full of I.S. mechs, or a Std. engine if your a clanner.
That being said, I understand that winning something you don't need, or want, still has the advantage of selling it for c-bills.
It would be nice to see supply caches contain only things you can't buy with c-bills, but that's 'looking a gift horse in the mouth'.
Peace All

Edited by Peace2U, 15 January 2018 - 06:49 AM.

#55 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 January 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

Except I got more MCs, and MC purchasable items from select crates (I don't open every single one like an idiot), than the amount of MC I would have theoretically spent on it. I say theoretically cause I opened them all with free keys. The net gain is thus positive. Plus, I said supply crates are great for newer players, as it allows them to get a lot of C-Bills to help them to purchase mechs. If you are a veteran player that is choking with C-Bills you may ignore crates, but I for one will not ignore certain crates, as I know that I will have net positive gain from opening them.

Plus crates are always good for 50,000 C-Bill sale value, so it is far better to have them than not have them.

> Except I got more MCs, and MC purchasable items from select crates (I don't open every single one like an idiot), than the amount of MC I would have theoretically spent on it

Who says you would buy those MC items in the first place? Are we making the assumption that every MC item in a loot crate is something you would have bought anyway? That's a big assumption.

I don't believe for a second that using MC to buy keys to open crates to get free MC is a profitable exercise.

> (I don't open every single one like an idiot)

I must have missed something because I don't understand what you're saying. There's always ****** items up for grabs in loot crates, and there's always a small chance to get something decent.

> free keys

lies

> great for newer players, as it allows them to get a lot of C-Bills to help them to purchase mechs

you mean the guys who have very few mech bays?

> veteran player that is choking with C-Bills

I'm not sure I consider myself a veteran but I have 30+ bays, most of em filled with mastered mechs, and I am definitely not choking with c-bills, right now I have about 5/10 mil or so

> you may ignore crates

that's what everyone should do unless they are rich and can just straight up dump hundreds of dollars into buying MC

View PostXetelian, on 13 January 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

I used about 20 or so of the 40ish free keys I've gotten.

You have FORTY free keys?

View PostCFC Conky, on 14 January 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

Yesterday I opened four caches. I use a rough figure of 250MC per dollar. One of them gave me 50MC so the cost per cache was 12.5MC, or about a nickel. But wait, I used discounted MC purchased over the holidays so the average is now about 8.5MC per cache, or about three cents.

Not exactly gambling away the kid's college fund Posted Image .

If you are strictly f2p then yeah, maybe it's better to save your MC, but depending on the cache, it might be worth taking a chance.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Not sure about those figures, but spending money for what is, the vast majority of the time, trash just doesn't make economical sense

if it's really three cents per key then that changes things somewhat, but I still intensely dislike the principle

Edited by Yosharian, 14 January 2018 - 09:53 PM.

#56 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

View PostPhoolan Devi, on 14 January 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

There is only a chance to get free mechs, maybe you just got incredibly lucky? Just because you got two mechs doesn't make boxes mathematically a waste to sell, that's not how maths works.

Free MC should be spent on mech bays and other cheap cosmetics, or things that have guaranteed fun factor like warhorns.

Spending MC to get a chance of getting something decent, or more likely yet another trash item, is not good

#57 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 14 January 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

and yet you completely discount my actual stats on opening them.. you know the one that i have gotten more than the OPEN MC value in mechbays alone.. (yes i also use free keys, so it's even a bigger bonus)

The chances of other items is not minuscule.. I get 1 day free premiums all the time when i open which i do in lots of 10. I've gotten many free bays, at a 300 MC value each. I don't even add in the decal value and i still make out better than just buying bays and premium alone. Even if i bought my keys for 250, and opened 10, i'll typically get a day of premium or a bay which covers that cost,, and then i easily get 2-3-4m worth of c-bills in items, and entire night of playing for me, on top of all the bonus credits i get from the premium being active, which means that 250 MC, just turned into an easy 5m+ between the items i got and the money i made in the next few hours. A few times i've pulled in close to 10m cause i had longer to play like on a weekend.

The other day i had a really nice open of 10 boxes.. I got an XL-280 engine, a Gauss rifle, large pulse, mechbay, and 1k MC. But even my normal pulls, a free bay, or a day premium is pretty much a given if you are even semi picky about the types of boxes you open.

and yea,, math works.. If you spend 25 MC to get 50, that is a +25 gain. Maybe not awesome, but certainly a gain non-the-less, and if you pulled a nice weapon you are ahead.. 7 bucks gets you 48 crates should net you an easy 25m+ in items, and that is not counting a rare pull.. Crates typically sold item value is around 250k at least on average if you keep items its even more. But who needs math...

I should just start making open vids and posting them to show how they actually are a nice bonus especially for people that don't spend 100's or 1k's of dollars, or play 5k+ matches over a year. If you do either, then they aren't that big of a deal.. if not, folks might consider it a decent way to add items to your account

> I get 1 day free premiums

oh **** son! whatta deal! who cares about premium time, honestly. if you care about premium time you're probably a whale anyway. (not that there's anything wrong with being a whale if you have money to burn, you go girl)

> I've gotten many free bays, at a 300 MC value each

ok first of all buy bays in sales, not just whenever, secondly like i said to the other guy just because you got some bays doesn't make it mathematically a good idea for keys to be bought as a rule. lastly, i'd rather spend my MC to buy an actual bay than spend it on a chance to get one.

> Even if i bought my keys for 250, and opened 10, i'll typically get a day of premium or a bay which covers that cost,, and then i easily get 2-3-4m worth of c-bills in items, and entire night of playing for me, on top of all the bonus credits i get from the premium being active, which means that 250 MC, just turned into an easy 5m+ between the items i got and the money i made in the next few hours. A few times i've pulled in close to 10m cause i had longer to play like on a weekend.

> The other day i had a really nice open of 10 boxes.. I got an XL-280 engine, a Gauss rifle, large pulse, mechbay, and 1k MC.

'check out these lucky drops I got' is not a mathematically-sound argument for loot boxes

> If you spend 25 MC to get 50, that is a +25 gain.

and that totally happens on average

> if you pulled a nice weapon you are ahead

weapons are bought with cbills

Edited by Yosharian, 14 January 2018 - 10:01 PM.

#58 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

View PostYosharian, on 14 January 2018 - 09:44 PM, said:

> free keys

lies

Are you a newbie? Cause PGI gave away plenty of free keys during previous events and promotions. I have opened about 50 crates with free keys and I STILL have 47 free keys remaining. Lies, my arse!

Posted Image

View PostYosharian, on 14 January 2018 - 09:44 PM, said:

> (I don't open every single one like an idiot)

I must have missed something because I don't understand what you're saying. There's always ****** items up for grabs in loot crates, and there's always a small chance to get something decent.

Only fools open every single crate they come across in hopes of getting rare items. Smarter players check the number of actually desirable items and compare them with the approximate chance of getting them and then make the decision. It is people who open every single box they came across that cries about lootcrates being unfairly exploiting. Meanwhile I am getting far ahead in the loot crate game since I open only those that have maximum chance of positive returns. I still keep the undesirable ones because PGI did mention that they will revisit the whole crate system.

Edited by El Bandito, 15 January 2018 - 12:10 AM.

#59 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:43 AM

I seriously doubt PGi is going to give you everything inside EXISTING crates. They are more likely to put out an announcement to get you to open crates you want to gamble on before they do a wipe and replace them with the "new" crates which are normalised to the new "get everything in a crate" crate, aka what the industry is doing now aka open a loot crate and hope for a legendary drop.

Keys? I am hoping for a MC refund *cough*giveaway*cough* since all my keys about 50+ were free.

#60 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

I have yet to get a mech but still get some good items. If I do not need the item I sell it. Overall it is a win win for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users