Faction Play - Training

407 replies to this topic

#121 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

@alandial i strongly reccomend you switch out those AC2s for 2 ultra 10s and a large XL engine on your MAD IIC. You will not be underpreforming with that build.
Let me know if you want a smurfy link.

Since you run a lot of lrms and atms you will probabaly like this SNV A build: 4lrm15+ art & 2 HLL and 2 ERML

#122 Alandial

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

View PostWindscape, on 25 January 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

@alandial i strongly reccomend you switch out those AC2s for 2 ultra 10s and a large XL engine on your MAD IIC. You will not be underpreforming with that build.
Let me know if you want a smurfy link.

Since you run a lot of lrms and atms you will probabaly like this SNV A build: 4lrm15+ art & 2 HLL and 2 ERML

Ok I will go ahead and grab the EBJ and HB asap. And I will convert the MAD.

I am not really married to the LRMs. I was using that build to stay alive longer and try and be more beneficial. If there is a better build for the SNV I will happily try it.

This is what I came up with for the MADIIC - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...755a400217e3674

Does that make sense? I changed the mediums to larges so the range overlapped more with the Ultra10s

Edited by Alandial, 25 January 2018 - 10:58 AM.

#123 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

That build is not bad, but it can be improved.

Here is my original build suggestion. With speedtweak this can go 78kph, making it nearly as moble as most clan heavies.
MAD-IIC-A
EDIT: added ferro fibrous armor
MAD-IIC-A

While your build is not bad (much better than your previous) there are two main issues with it. The first is a lack of ammo. While i tend to reccomend more ammo than most other comp players, you will need a lot more ammo than that for fp, or even qp. The second is you are still not maxing your armor in your vitals (while it was only a few points, every point is important on the CT and ST's) look at my examples, you can see where it is safe to remove armor.

If my reccomended build isnt up your cup of tea, i have some builds that are more similar to the one you built.

This one is most similar to yours:MAD-IIC-A
EDIT: ferro fibrous
MAD-IIC-A

Lpls are good, but they have been made somewhat less prominent due to the HLL. The HLL can do more dmg and weighs less. While it has an increased burn duration, that side effect is no big deal as the uac10s make you always face your enemy.
MAD-IIC-A

If that build is a little too hot, this one removes the ERMLs for more heatsinks.
MAD-IIC-A

On a side note, im going to try this build on the C later
MAD-IIC-C
EDIT 2, this build is untested, so it might be better with 1JJ, bigger engine and heatsinks or no JJ at all.

That supernova can only boat lrms, it does not make the best srm boat. I wouldnt bring it to fp anyway.

Edited by Windscape, 25 January 2018 - 01:00 PM.

#124 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

Oh forgot to mention while i never said anything bout the HBR amd EBJ, definetly grab em. Some of the best mechs.

#125 Alandial

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostWindscape, on 25 January 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

That build is not bad, but it can be improved.

Here is my original build suggestion. With speedtweak this can go 78kph, making it nearly as moble as most clan heavies.
MAD-IIC-A
EDIT: added ferro fibrous armor

Couldn't quite afford the 380 engine so I have the 375. But now I have 2 mechs with decent loadouts lol

#126 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Ok so best builds I could come up with...

Hunchback is a IIC-B
META - brawler still works with Skill Maze
ATMs - I really dislike them as decent players will avoid easily, but for the B, it's the only other viable option. Skill Maze. Make sure you only fire under 550m or so to make sure you doing effective damage.

Marauder is a IIC-A
UAC/ERML - Ensure you protect that UAC torso by twisting right, always. Use left to shield. Hence cDHS are in the arm on that side. Skill Maze

Supernova is an A
My Build I run personally - It is pure brawler though. Maze here
ATMs - Again refer above for my opinion (and the skills). Also you are dropping a LOT of tonnage to run ineffective weapon systems.

So yeah again mate - seriously - put another 100-150 matches into QP at least. Get a HBR / SKILL or EBJ / SKILL (this skill requires heavy torso twisting always and constant/fast re-positioning to make use of it, no survival tree).

#127 Alandial

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 25 January 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

Hunchback is a IIC-B
META - brawler still works with Skill Maze
ATMs - I really dislike them as decent players will avoid easily, but for the B, it's the only other viable option. Skill Maze. Make sure you only fire under 550m or so to make sure you doing effective damage.

Marauder is a IIC-A
UAC/ERML - Ensure you protect that UAC torso by twisting right, always. Use left to shield. Hence cDHS are in the arm on that side. Skill Maze

Supernova is an A
My Build I run personally - It is pure brawler though. Maze here
ATMs - Again refer above for my opinion (and the skills). Also you are dropping a LOT of tonnage to run ineffective weapon systems.

So yeah again mate - seriously - put another 100-150 matches into QP at least. Get a HBR / SKILL or EBJ / SKILL (this skill requires heavy torso twisting always and constant/fast re-positioning to make use of it, no survival tree).

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time. I will convert the Nova and the HB and scoop up a EJ and HBR. Once I can get those squared away, then maybe I can take another look at Faction Play.

I really appreciate you and Windscape taking the time.

#128 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 25 January 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

Hunchback is a IIC-B

Okay, curious, but why not add in some Srms for added close range punch? And eating up ams? For me, personally, I've always found atms to be best in that sweet spot too close for comfort where they're doing three damage a pop with some pre-fired srms to spare atm loss to ams.

HBK-IIC-B for instance, doesn't lose you much but some heat an arm coverage.

That said, mine still run lrms instead of atms and doesn't get used too often.

Anyways, awesome to see your initiative paying off!

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 28 January 2018 - 06:39 PM.

#129 Mechi Messer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

@ash:
Why do you prefer agility over armor and structure on the ebj and hbr? I'm lazy on the skill-maze.

#130 r4zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

Ash can we get an update - anyone taken you up on 1:1 training? Been carting around rookies in your drops at all?

What's the experience been like for you and your padawans?

#131 Achle

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

I could use some advice on a drop deck...my problem is that I love assaults. When I bring my assault I am basically having to use a group of lights or maybe a medium and two lights. =( Not acceptable...

Anyhow currently I have

Mad Cat II set up as sniper with PPC, Gauss, and ART LRM
Linebacker laser vomit...mediums..all
Hunchback stock set up with the two AC/10's and 4 mediums
Kit Fox prime with 2 ERLL and 3 AMS(my support mech)

My second deck

Warhawk(sniper with PPC, lrm 10, and large lasers)
Hellbringer(stock) the special legacy model.
Nova(small laser vomit)
Adder(free mech)

I dont own the hunchback so I really do need a medium or two of my own. But any advice? Sorry for the build summary but I am on a break at work.

Thanks

#132 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

View PostMechi Messer, on 29 January 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

@ash:
Why do you prefer agility over armor and structure on the ebj and hbr? I'm lazy on the skill-maze.

Speed and re-positioning ability. Also torso twisting in a EBJ to keep it alive a long longer.

HBR has better arm hitboxes so it can shield far more easily. Plus the HBR has such a longer duration that it doesn't benefit as much from the "poke" benefits like the EBJ.

EBJ has longer range too with the cLPL so it's all about using that to the best effect possible for me. Again, it was just some options to chose from for people depending on their play style as well.

View Postr4zen, on 29 January 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

Ash can we get an update - anyone taken you up on 1:1 training? Been carting around rookies in your drops at all?

What's the experience been like for you and your padawans?

Nothing yet. Couple units were interested but haven't got back to me (admittedly one I need to find the time myself).

Otherwise a few PMs about builds/deck ideas and that's about it.

Had a few guys with us last week that were not new FP guys, but just came along for drops to see what it's like to be in a efficient group. Some of the comments were like "Wow, I got to damage in at all". And the answer to that is you need to be aggressive and see where others are standing etc. Plus picking up some other small tips/tricks along the way.

#133 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

View PostGrimhorn, on 29 January 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

Spoiler

Well first off Gauss/PPC is dead. So remove that build and put Gauss/HLL/ERML on there like everyone else is (They do it for a reason, it's better).

LRM - Again useless so get rid of it.

HBK are a glassy mech. They are better off not having long face time that cUACs need, so look at changing that build somehow.

Adder is good with 5cERML and a buttload of cDHS. Very good actually, I use it often.

Overall though you decks have zero synergy. One mech has cERML LBK and then ERL/LRMs, that is just mixing it up. It's not good for all maps. Then another deck you have cERPP WHK with a ERSL Nova... You're talking 200m vs 1400m. No synergy.

As I've said it's either cERL/cERPPC in one deck (for longer range maps) or go mid-range. A NVA with ERSL is only really going to be good on smaller maps like HPG. It's unfortunately not like QP where you can make it work on most maps cause people are bringing all sorts of builds. FP has more synergy (generally speaking) so bringing close range to a longer map means you will be eaten up without doing anything.

#134 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

On Polar if you did not have ERL then you are doing it wrong.

#135 Achle

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 29 January 2018 - 02:47 PM, said:

Well first off Gauss/PPC is dead. So remove that build and put Gauss/HLL/ERML on there like everyone else is (They do it for a reason, it's better). LRM - Again useless so get rid of it. HBK are a glassy mech. They are better off not having long face time that cUACs need, so look at changing that build somehow. Adder is good with 5cERML and a buttload of cDHS. Very good actually, I use it often. Overall though you decks have zero synergy. One mech has cERML LBK and then ERL/LRMs, that is just mixing it up. It's not good for all maps. Then another deck you have cERPP WHK with a ERSL Nova... You're talking 200m vs 1400m. No synergy. As I've said it's either cERL/cERPPC in one deck (for longer range maps) or go mid-range. A NVA with ERSL is only really going to be good on smaller maps like HPG. It's unfortunately not like QP where you can make it work on most maps cause people are bringing all sorts of builds. FP has more synergy (generally speaking) so bringing close range to a longer map means you will be eaten up without doing anything.

I was sort of going to mixed bag. So build a long range deck and medium range deck to synergize? I will give it a try and lose the PPC. I only used them cause they looked cool anyhow(yes stupid reason)

As for the Mechs....Can I optimize the line up better? I plan to get more mechs. I have read that a deck of mediums is good, but again I want to bring my assaults in at least one deck. I have the Kodiak, Mad Cat II, and Warhawk right now.

What three mechs would you add to my list? I suck at brawling just fyi. I prefer to sit at medium but sometimes get stuck at long range

#136 r4zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

View PostGrimhorn, on 29 January 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

So build a long range deck and medium range deck to synergize?

Yes. A 'skirmish' deck and a 'Sniper' deck. The Sniper deck you will use on maybe 3 maps: Polar, Alpine, and Boreal. You can get away with it on Grim.

The skirmish deck will be your main one. It's a generalist deck that performs less optimally at brawl range at at long range.

Skirmish deck based on mechs you've listed:

MC-II (ERML, Gauss, HLL)
HBR (ERML, HLL)

(edit)

Add a 2nd 65 tonner (EBJ, HBR, LBK) and a PIR

-OR-

MDD with ATMs and a MLX

-OR-

HBK-IIC (A variant? the laser one) + Adder laservom or KFX, if you have the purifier.

Goal with the skirmish deck is to trade with your high alpha laser vom. Use cover, reposition, avoid getting into brawl range unless you're pushing over the enemy line. Drop heaviest to lightest.

Edited by r4zen, 29 January 2018 - 04:35 PM.

#137 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

View PostGrimhorn, on 29 January 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

I was sort of going to mixed bag. So build a long range deck and medium range deck to synergize? I will give it a try and lose the PPC. I only used them cause they looked cool anyhow(yes stupid reason)

As for the Mechs....Can I optimize the line up better? I plan to get more mechs. I have read that a deck of mediums is good, but again I want to bring my assaults in at least one deck. I have the Kodiak, Mad Cat II, and Warhawk right now.

What three mechs would you add to my list? I suck at brawling just fyi. I prefer to sit at medium but sometimes get stuck at long range

Builds or mech wise? Builds yes, mechs yes. Plenty of builds to look at from the pages posted thus far... To go with the mechs. So go have a look at them. They all have general synergy, that is the idea you want to head towards.

EBJs and HBRs are the staple of my Clan Decks and have been since the tonnage changes and also cause the TBR is a steaming pile of elephant dung these days (It was my preferred mech but desync has killed it). Except long range where I will drop HBRs (ERL) or SMN/HBKIICA (cERPPC)

Having two Assaults in either deck both with cERPPC is just not workable. You get maps like HPG, Crimson, River, Forest - All of which is very hard to use a cERPPC Assault unless you are *that* good, most aren't. You are also slower to reposition and the mounts are not ideal either.

IMO dropping 3 Heavies and 1 Med is the best "all rounder" right now. You are highly mobile and, generally, carrying as large of a payload as a IS Assault. You just need to use range and speed properly - which most do not. Don't be static, keep moving/maintaining range and that is how you dictate a fight as Clan to IS.

#138 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

If i wasnt away from my computer i would definitely help train some new players for FP too :(

#139 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for the attempt. Since most advice is for Clans I will move on

#140 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:32 AM

Eh? Plenty of advice came out for IS on pages 3 & 4?

What other information are you after?

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users