• CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:11 AM

View PostAlandial, on 02 February 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Bought my EBJ yesterday. Going pretty well so far

Posted Image

Mate well done.

FP stats can be a bit silly in the stats page, but it is amazing to see people listening to advice and playing well as a result.

#164 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:30 AM

One advise I really want to give new players is to notice if your team, especially if it's a group, is exposing or poking. You'll want to do the same and preferably have a mech that suits it.

If your team is exposing together (firing line or exposed push) and you are poking from cover, you will fall behind on DPS and not contribute to the pressure or add your armour to the main line, thus weakening your team. Typically ballistic boats and other high DPS builds on tanky mechs (ANH, BSW etc) are good for this.

Conversely, if your team is poking/trading from cover, and you're trying to expose for DPS then you'll be making yourself an easy target and be focused down. Typically good poke/trading mechs have high alphas and high hardpoints and mobility, but don't need to be as tanky as they are played to avoid damage.

Most strategies exist somewhere along the scale between full expose and full cover poke and you'll want to look at the mechs in the lobby and talk to your team so you aren't mismatching your mech choices and playstyle with the majority.

You also want to try and judge how stationary vs mobile your team is, and like before do the same. If you are in a fast fragile mech and your team is doing a stationary line defence in slow tanky ballistic boats you might not get much use of that big investment you made in a huge engine and mobility tree and simply not contribute enough DPS, on the other hand if your team is very mobile and changes position all the time and you're in a slow tanky mech, you'll fall behind and be singled out and killed very fast.

Range is the same story, a mismatched range bracket in relation to your team will force you to either waste damage by being at non-optimal range or out of position in relation to your team.

TL:DR: Try to match your speed, range and level of exposure with your team in each match, do what the majority of your team does.

PS: There are more advanced and varied tactics to do, but that should be done once in a unit/group and planned properly for.

#165 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:03 PM

Just an update... I cannot help anyone in game this week or weekend.
I won't be on much and I'm away this weekend playing cars (what I do when not working/MWOing).

Next weekend I'll post up and try make a weekend but of it and have a bunch of people along etc.

#166 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:37 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 04 February 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

Just an update... I cannot help anyone in game this week or weekend.
I won't be on much and I'm away this weekend playing cars (what I do when not working/MWOing).

Next weekend I'll post up and try make a weekend but of it and have a bunch of people along etc.

Posted Image

#167 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:47 AM

When? Where? Link Please....TS or Discord?

#168 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:41 AM

For people on clan side, having an urge to warhawk it up a bit ...

1: WHK-Prime @ 4 ERPPCs, TC4, 6 additional DHS
2: WHK A @ 5ERLL, Acive Probe, TC5 , 6 additional DHS
3: WHK-C @ 4LPL,TC4, 5 additional DHS
4: WHK-A @ 2x UAC10, 2xSRM4
alt5: WHK-A @ 2x CGauss, SRM4

Remember to use those arms to side-poke around any solid cover and/or maximise usage of the range for "area-denial" .

#169 PoohPuss

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

If the offer is still on the table, I'd very much like to join.

I've PUG'd QP for a few weeks and worked my way into tier-4 (for whatever that's worth). I've done very little group-play, but I love it when an experienced player drops by and takes leadership. I'm eager to learn, and open to playing any kind of mech. I probably enjoy lights the most, followed by mediums, heavy and lastly assaults, and I'm not caught up in any particular playstyle or loadout.

I have 6 leveled mechs, 5 mechs I'm in the process of leveling, and 9 mechs that I have no builds for because I haven't found a good use for them yet.

Hope you'll consider me for tutoring and other group-play.

EDIT - My current mech-loadouts:
PIR-2
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bf43ff58017e523

Cipher (91/91 SP)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...de2808e57242c63

Pirate's Bane
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3d001eec6af97e8

UM-R60L (91/91)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cfa289200bf71d5

Purifier (91/91)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a21a261281939a1

HBK-4P (91/91)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e738e1a4917bf7d

SCR-Prime (91/91)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a021295becb1709

BJ-1X (prototype – atleast the engine will be switched for a Light, if I find the mech worth it. Current engine is looted from another mech as a placeholder.)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...11401a6dfa23b12

HBR-Prime (I'm aware of the «no LRM in FP, but it's been fine in QP PUG tier-5/4)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a7830bb82c1669d

TBR-C
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b4226c480de6b53

KGC-0000 (91/91)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7e8a5ac3555d0dc

Also have some unused hulls:
ACH-Prime (91/91)
MLX-G
PIR-1
PIR-3
RVN-3L
CDA-X5
ENF-4R
GHR-5P
TDR-9SE

Edited by PoohPuss, 05 February 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#170 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

The first thing to do and the easiest thing to fix would be to post your builds here, so people can see what your running, and suggest better builds.

Also i dunno how many new players know about this but you should all read this: https://mwomercs.com...ics-101-comics/ as well as all the other things in that subforum.

#171 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

View PostPalfatreos, on 05 February 2018 - 02:37 AM, said:

Spoiler

lol. yep, that.

As for others yes - all welcome - but as I said it'll be the following weekend (2 weeks) I'll do more. Unavailable this coming weekend.

But for now get your builds up and we can see where you are going in that department first. Plenty of wise people commenting here and even better people putting the advice to good use and actually improving simply from mechlab changes.

Often people lose the battle in the mechlab and/or mech selection for a map. This is half the problem IMO as there is no guides or help available.

#172 PoohPuss

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

View PostWindscape, on 05 February 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

The first thing to do and the easiest thing to fix would be to post your builds here, so people can see what your running, and suggest better builds.

Also i dunno how many new players know about this but you should all read this: https://mwomercs.com...ics-101-comics/ as well as all the other things in that subforum.

Thank you, I'm looking at that link :)
I've updated my previous post with my current builds. Feel free to re-assemble me.

#173 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

View PostWindscape, on 05 February 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

I highly recommend looking it new or old, FW or QP. It has the most basic and some advanced stuff covered with simply but entertaining images. Even if you know everything going over it once pretty entertaining in itself.

#174 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

View PostPoohPuss, on 05 February 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

EDIT - My current mech-loadouts:

Mechs! Glorious Mechs!

Okay, first I'mma start with a favourite of mine, the Locust. Yours is kinda... all over. I love me some small laser machine gunning, but then why have the mediums? If you wanna go pokey with mediums, This locust is designed to harass heavies and assaults via hide an poke, but aint no knife fighter. As for armour, a locust never really needs worry about arms, and headshots are negligible. Trust me, we've gone over locust optimization a tonne.

I approve of the urbie, 'cept for the armour values. Urbie nevers needs turn it's back to the enemy!

Blackjack isn't to my taste, but I'mma brawler. I'mma just let others chime in on that one. Looks Meta-y.

Okay... The King. I... that crab. I'd rather swap those ac-2s for one uac 10. Just, off the bat, it syncs up better with those ranges. I you wanna ac2, go heavy inna 'em, or you're losing on the damage trades.

Gotta run, I'll let others chime in on the clan mechs as well.

~Leone.

#175 PoohPuss

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostLeone, on 05 February 2018 - 04:58 PM, said:

Mechs! Glorious Mechs!

Okay, first I'mma start with a favourite of mine, the Locust. Yours is kinda... all over. I love me some small laser machine gunning, but then why have the mediums? If you wanna go pokey with mediums, This locust is designed to harass heavies and assaults via hide an poke, but aint no knife fighter. As for armour, a locust never really needs worry about arms, and headshots are negligible. Trust me, we've gone over locust optimization a tonne.

I approve of the urbie, 'cept for the armour values. Urbie nevers needs turn it's back to the enemy!

Blackjack isn't to my taste, but I'mma brawler. I'mma just let others chime in on that one. Looks Meta-y.

Okay... The King. I... that crab. I'd rather swap those ac-2s for one uac 10. Just, off the bat, it syncs up better with those ranges. I you wanna ac2, go heavy inna 'em, or you're losing on the damage trades.

Gotta run, I'll let others chime in on the clan mechs as well.

~Leone.

Thanks a ton! Sounds like excellent advice <3

#176 Winnie The Pew

• Pip
  • The Pest
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:32 PM

Bit late to the party. But here is my first run at a deck. yes, I know i will get flak for my 4th choice, however its one of my solid QP performers and makes the tonnage close enough for government work.

1) http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=515&l=bb24aafb59b1bedc17ade6d060b35df634c18995 Stalker (I do better with this than the other option...
1a) in case 1 is a nono http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=118&l=55c0e4eac47f627582a08bff2eb170d5ed168da4
2) http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5ec9e06c262060a
3) http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bd448599350dd5a
4) http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bced1b2e8ffeabf has +17 armor on deadside for skilltree.

all the above are skilled up already. survival, derp, xtra consumable slot, cooling/operations except for #2 and weapons trees (n movement on 4)
input, criticisms and advice please! thanks in advance (hope these links work)

#177 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

1) Use THIS, protect the TC3/3ERL side if you want to run LFE. See other posts about the ERL skill tree selection.
1a) ECM is a waste. Use THIS

2) Underpowered. THIS is how you 6R

3) Just not a good build. It is brawl only. Look at other WHM builds from this thread and use those first.

4) Taking way too much armour off in places you need it (torso/legs etc). It's too hot with 5MPL and LFE, so forget that. Run THIS

#178 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

I have not been able to try pirhanhas yet, but ermicros are notoriously unimpressive. However, since the the PIR 2 has so many hardpoints, micros are needed if you want to use them all

This trades the probe and some armor for a HLL
PIR-2

If you want some range, this build is good, but its probabaly best to try this on a more forgiving mech first
PIR-2 ERML

This build has the most forepower, but its also likely to be the most hot. It only has 8 ermicro so you can fire them all.
PIR-2

Cipher

Again, the ermicros kinda suck. Your og build also didnt have near enough ammo
CIPHER
This build will be hot af, but the 6 HSMLs should be able to open things up easily for the mgs

This cipher build uses 8ermicros. You can see compared to the HSML the dmg is much lower 2.4 dmg per micro @ .25 ton. 6dmg per HSML @ .5 ton. But the heat load should be a lot easier to manage.

Since i havent tried my Pirhahas yet, take these builds with a grain of salt. (I will probabaly edit this post when i get to drive mine)

Pirates bane
I used to own one, but i could not make it work. However with the new tech, this build should give decent damage results
PIRATES' BANE

This build is more of a proper scout, with cool running weapons alowing you to run the stealth armor for a longer period
PIRATES' BANE

You can also run a hybrid build, using the stealth+ ecm and 4MLs to make a more ranged scout. I reccomend std MLs beacuse of the loss of heatsinks with ECM and stealth equiped.

Still, i would not reccomed the PB for FP, unless your using it in a group.

The urbie build is pretty solid. AMS is not very useful unless packed in 2 or more, or the whole team is bringing it. 2lmgs is weak, i try to refrain from boating less than 3mgs, but i added heavies for some extra punch. This can be switched out for extra hearsinks and/or AMS if the heavys dont work out.
UM-R60L

Purifier
This mech is one of my favorite mechs. However smurfy doesnt work on ipads, so i cant post a link. (will edit when avalible)
Try 3ERMLs, and one HLL, a great little poker in FP.

Hunchie
Your build on the hunchie is solid. I just editied the armor values.
HBK-4P
Remember to protect that right torso!

EDIT: this build is a modified version of A S H's 4P below. The extra half ton of space was bothering me, so i swapped out the mk1 targeting PC for a mk2, removing .5 ton of head armor
HBK-4P

Stormcrow
The stormcrow is a very versatile mech. It can be used in many different ways.
Your intial build is decent but here are some other ideas
Remove the SRM and add in 3 more mpl
Or make it 5 srm6 + Art
You could probabaly even run 2HLL, 3+ ERML
Like i said, the stormcrow is a very versatile mech, but its best for midrange/brawling

BJ
Would not use that build. Hybrid builds never work.
I have a BJ 1X but i myself am having a hard time building this mech.
Ive tried the std 8mpl, and 6erml, 2mpl
This is what im running right now
BJ-1X
It looks good on paper, but i have other meds that outpreform it

HBR
Its an okay build for QP, but for FP, i would reccomend the tried and true 2 HLL 4-6 ERML HBR
Alternatively, a 9mpl HBR is good too

Timber
Another okay build. Im not sure how to configure a good timber. My timber build has 5ERML, 1HLL and a UAC10

King Crab
Ditch those ac2s. I have been experimenting a little bit and these are my best KGC builds

UAC20 brawler
KGC-0000

A rather unorthodox build, this build is very out of character
KGC-0000
I used to run a similar version to this, but it had a std engine, srm4s and no targeting comp.

MRM version
KGC-0000
MRM v2
KGC-0000

For the other mechs
ACH: with the smpl nerf im unsure what to run on this mech
Mist lynx: 8mg 4HLL is a great build
Raven can be a 2-3 ERLL sniper, or a narc boat. There are brawl versions but other lights do it better
X5: never used one. A dual MRM30 or 40 would be fun though :D
ENF: i used to run that mech w/ 5mpl and a UAC5. That was a while ago, but it could still be decent
GHR 5P: never liked the 5p compared to the 5H for some reason. 3lpl + erml laservom is fine, 5ERLL also a good option
9SE: 9SE is an old mech, but the 3lpl w/ a std should be fine. Perhaps put a light in and and add an MRM.

Thanks for reading
Likely many edits will need to be made for this post.

Edited by Windscape, 05 February 2018 - 10:47 PM.

#179 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

View PostPoohPuss, on 05 February 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Spoiler

As we've outlined before - You need 8 fully kitted mechs.

1 Deck is ERL or cERPPC/cERL and another is Skirmish. That is how to make the "best" of all modes for a all-round deck. You can brawl later, but it requires a team really to make it work right now.

There are plenty of HBR / EBJ builds posted already. Use those and the EBJ build for laser fits on the TBR no drama. The TBR is very sub-part right now, just so you know. TBR with cLPL/cSPL and cSRM is again mixed range.

SCR try THIS. Mixing MPL/SRM (only one) is a bad idea, and again it's brawl not range. Either load it with all MPL or don't.

HBK-4P, again you are mixing ranges. Why? Try THIS. Overall it's not great either way as you don't really want to be hitting ghostheat.

#180 Geewiz 27

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

Hey ASH if the offer still stands I'll hit you up and send friend request tonight. I'm Fairly expierenced clan loyalist, I have 4 drop decks all fully skilled, 1 mid range laser guass vom, 1erll/ppc, 1 srma + lbx & 1 dakka for hot maps. Faction was my favourite part of the game but lately we seem to go up against all the best units in game all the time and we can't win a f@#kin chook raffle let alone an invasion drop. So keen to learn and see how different units do it mate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users