407 replies to this topic

#1 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

So given people continually complain about Teams in a Team mode... I am going to offer up some of my time to train people that would like it.

I don't claim to be the best player in MWO, I'm far from it. That said I am also better than the average so plenty out there can learn stuff from what I know.

NEXT TRAINING DATE / TIME

TIME:
TBA

WHERE: CLICK ME (My Discord)

What I am offering:

1. Experienced Drop Caller - Tactics / Map aweness / Enemy Awareness (what the enemy might do).

2. Submit your builds / drop decks - I will give pointers on them so they are most effective (META).

3. Opportunity to drop with decent team - See how they operate - See how comms are, in fact quite often it's very little comms the better the team. When dropping with EVIL / BCMC etc there is basically minimal comms the entire game, people know where to be. I will probably limit it to 2-3 newbies in a group otherwise it is too hard to herd the sheep, so to speak.

4. Private Lobby Training - To see how good your skills actually are with regards to aiming / mouse settings / torso twisting etc.

5. Ask questions - Pick my brain to pieces. Why did I call a certain thing, how did I come to this conclusion etc. Of course I still make mistakes sometimes and that is also part of learning.

Who is eligible?

1. Any SOLO - players that want to learn/improve. Come drop with us (or, whoever I am playing with. Teams I drop with won't mind generally speaking).

2. Any TEAM - that would like me to pop past on their comms and drop with them. Hell I'll even call a drop if you will let me, to see the differences in approach etc. I will also show you guys basic map strats / positions before the drop.

What I won't tolerate... People that...

1. Do not want to actually learn / work as a team / follow the calls etc.
2. Do not want to get on comms.
3. Do not want to bring optimised builds.
4. Just want to Gen Rush. Either fight or don't play IMO.

If you are either of the 4 above I will not hesitate to kick you from the team or I'll leave the team as that is not what Faction Play is about and is a waste of my time.

I normally play on Fri night US Peak (which is Aussie Sat/lunch-time). Or Sat night US Peak (which is Aussie Sun/lunch-time). So can have people along for an hour or two. Alternatively drop with you for an hour/two. So I won't specifically set a time for it as such given people come and go over a night/day generally speaking.

Prob offer this for the next 4 weeks or so as I know my work is gonna be quiet and won't need to take many calls etc as I sometimes do mid-drop.

If you are interested post up. If you'd like to see specifically etc. I will answer anything within reason.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 02 April 2019 - 09:26 PM.

#2 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

Are we taking bets on how long before this goes south and this thread is locked or am I a bit too early?

#3 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

If someone tries to derail it this time I am going to mash the report button harder than when I make Bangers & Mash outta YoloQ. Given that's all anyone does to me around here.

I'm just trying help the people that want to be helped! You know, get better. Play better, achieve enlightenment and stuff. Plus maybe have some fun and laughs along the way and maybe win for a change.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 15 January 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#4 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

Nice initiative Ash.

I know I have learned a lot. If you don't take up this offer you are only hurting yourself.

Note- you might feel like you aren't doing much, it's not you, it,s them killing everything before you have a chance. Keeping up is part of the learning process too.

#5 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

View Postslide, on 15 January 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

it,s them killing everything before you have a chance. Keeping up is part of the learning process too.

lol well yeah that is a bit of a problem when dropping with some of the usual suspects.

What I find that does though is it forces a player to be more aggressive in their trades, how often they do it and so on. Sometimes this does lead to mistakes (I make them too) but it's part and parcel of playing in a larger group of competent players and pulling ones weight so to speak.

I mean I've gone from pulling 1.5k matches consistently to 2k-2.5k consistently (in a mid-size group) since playing with better players than myself. Forces you stay on your toes and always be riding the heat bar.

#6 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 January 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

always be riding the heat bar.

this is a big one, especially for energy mechs, whenever you're at 0 heat in a fight, you're being useless to your team

#7 r4zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:15 AM

If you're new or struggling in FP you'd be a fool not to take Ash up on this, most people at his level in FP don't have the patience to work with newer pilots.

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:53 AM

I've been training a few of my own friends in mwo in group queue, seeing as they're all new with just trial mechs or a single mech they own. Takes a surprising number of matches for them to start getting the focus fire down, but they're learning. All of us running the same mech at once helps a whole lot since there's no speed or big build differences.

Plan is to eventually get into faction play with a 12 man for invasion, we've currently had a 5 man on as the biggest team but have 8 people total who play. The grind to a full dropdeck's going to be awhile, everyone should be pretty good by that point.

Good luck on your training, things should go much more smoothly with taking 3 people with a team of 9 of your own, whole lot less getting owned because you're a puny 4 man running half trials and the 8 other guys on your team need some serious carrying.

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:01 AM

Yep using a bigger groups means I can easily focus more on the 3. Chuck them in my lance and just have them move with/around me. Shoot what I'm shooting and just see where they need improvement really.

#10 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:17 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 January 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

If you are interested post up. If you'd like to see specifically etc. I will answer anything within reason.

I applaud and welcome this initiative.

ASH, if you get this going and need enemies/targets in your private lobbies to help with this, please PM.

#11 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:34 AM

Teach me Senpai.

But in all seriousness, well done stepping up for this and I'll offer myself as a target drone if required and I'm online.

To anyone reading and unsure, I can vouch for ASH's abilities and his fun attitude (if my opinion counts for anything lol). You will learn if you are open and accept that the game works in a certain way: listen, absorb, discuss and put it into action, you'll find it isn't as hard as you think and it will be fun. Even when you lose ;)

#12 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 16 January 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

You will learn if you are open and accept that the game works in a certain way: listen, absorb, discuss and put it into action, you'll find it isn't as hard as you think and it will be fun. Even when you lose Posted Image

Truth.

#13 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:29 AM

Solid offer. I would, however, suggest cross posting this in the new player help section. We tend to get the more 'experienced' players in this section, and I've always found more traction with my offers of assistance over there.

<o.

~Leone.

#14 Stealthrider

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:25 AM

*slow clap*

This is exactly the kind of initiative that will make the mode better outside of mechanics changes. Reaching out like this helps everyone, new and veteran. Thank you for putting yourself out there. I, for one, would welcome the opportunity to learn more. Especially since, I hope, it'll help me be a better caller when I drop on my own. God knows I have a long way to go.

Hard part is going to be syncing my playtime to yours, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Again, thanks for this.

#15 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

Yeah this is a good plan, I like it a lot.

I know a few IS units which will no doubt offer the same kind of help to people on the other side of faction, LORE are really good in the AU TZ - FRR TS Hub, 31HR are really good in the EU TZ - They have their own TS, but you can probably find details in their recruitment thread, HHOD will give you basics in the US TZ - Davion TS Hub and A41 have a fairly open group policy in EU TZ on US Comstar TS.

#16 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

View PostUnKnownPlayer, on 16 January 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

Yeah this is a good plan, I like it a lot.

I know a few IS units which will no doubt offer the same kind of help to people on the other side of faction, LORE are really good in the AU TZ - FRR TS Hub, 31HR are really good in the EU TZ - They have their own TS, but you can probably find details in their recruitment thread, HHOD will give you basics in the US TZ - Davion TS Hub and A41 have a fairly open group policy in EU TZ on US Comstar TS.

We just had someone that is just picking up the game again swing into our TS out of the blue....

He popped in, said "Hi", did quite a few drops with us and we did what we could to help bring him up to speed. Nice guy, to bad he is determined to be Clan....

Got him pointed to Clan TS, so hope the guys there can help him further.

#17 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 16 January 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

there would be some very different schools of thought, lol

Yea. Fighting means fighting, not sniping.

If you want to fight, don't retreat to edge of map or sit in the DZ.

#18 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

fighting means fighting

objective rushing means objective rushing :)

#19 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 16 January 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

Yea. Fighting means fighting, not sniping.

If you want to fight, don't retreat to edge of map or sit in the DZ.

You can Snipe from most places on the map. From your comment, you have no idea the advantages of sniping is.

Maybe ask if Ash can show you?

#20 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

View Postlive1991, on 16 January 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

You can Snipe from most places on the map. From your comment, you have no idea the advantages of sniping is.

Maybe ask if Ash can show you?

Oh, I know the advantages of Clan sniping, more often then not it ends with them walking backwards and a win for IS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users