100 replies to this topic

#21 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:04 AM

4 ams, + ammo, what is even left after that for heatsinks and wepaons?ut I wonder how 4 ams go vs streaks.

View PostKhobai, on 15 January 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

you could do x1 LAMS, x3 AMS, and 1 ton of ammo

that gives you 3 tons left for 4 microlasers, 4 machine guns, and 1 ton of ammo

thats about as good as the x4 AMS piranha gets. which is not good at all. and actually pretty bad.

you could also drop your engine size down from 180 to 170 for an extra half ton of ammo. thats probably advisable since 1 ton of ams ammo isnt enough for 3 ams.

still sounds like the sunday funday build :P

Edited by Lily from animove, 16 January 2018 - 01:05 AM.

#22 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:07 AM

Well when the Piranha drops we can test 4 AMS against a Streak Dog, see just how effective having 1 extra AMS is.

My prediction: Nothing but tears and broken dreams.

#23 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:20 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 15 January 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

Honestly you guys are missing the point.

It's the terribad who thinks a 4 AMS 20 ton light is a good idea that is EXACTLY the problem.

That guy is usually pretty worthless anyway; 4 AMS will actually let him provide some useful support to his team. 4 AMS is literally the most use that guy has probably ever been to his team.

Besides. LRMs are already bad and get the shaft often enough. This sort of stuff is just insult the injury. The Piranha has good odds of being broke AF when it's released. I get that PGI is just milking all the $ they can out of MWO before MW5 comes out but.... really? They've intentionally not released this mech for years specifically because it would be broke AF. Nothing has changed to make that not the case.

I'm totally going to run a 4xAMS mech and get a 500 match score just so I can go NYAH! NYAH! to you when it comes out :P

#24 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:39 AM

Why do you need AMS when there is cover ????

#25 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

I'm curious if and if so how many, and at what range could x no of quad ams piranhas negate splat and or, streak and or merm mechs? (We have rocks etc vs lrms).

#26 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:05 AM

full piranha scouting lance as a hard counter to SRM splat? Sounds fun!

#27 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:19 AM

View PostchucklesMuch, on 16 January 2018 - 02:02 AM, said:

I'm curious if and if so how many, and at what range could x no of quad ams piranhas negate splat and or, streak and or merm mechs? (We have rocks etc vs lrms).

Each AMS can negate 1 SRM (400 m/s), 2 SSRM (250 m/s), and 3 LRM (160 m/s). AMS is less effective against 4xLRM5 than single LRM20. So do the math urself.

You need two AMS to negate NARC beacon (500 m/s), so naturally AMS is very bad against MRMs (475 m/s).

Edited by El Bandito, 16 January 2018 - 04:30 AM.

#28 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:29 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 January 2018 - 02:19 AM, said:

Each AMS can negate 1 SRM, 2 SSRM, and 3 LRM. AMS is less effective against 4xLRM5 than single LRM20. So do the math urself.

cheers :)

#29 SteelMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 179 posts
  • Locationon the shifting sands of the meta

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:21 AM

Honestly the Piranha release is probably going to be the worst time to play LRM boats all year, and not because of the quad AMS version nobody is going to run.

The queue is going to be packed with light mechs which move too fast to really hurt with LRMs and they are going to be nascaring like crazy in packs looking to pick off LRM boats.

The best thing to do is shelve the LRM boats until the next 100 tonner drops and switch to Streaks for your QP missiling.

#30 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:39 AM

View PostSteelMantis, on 16 January 2018 - 03:21 AM, said:

Honestly the Piranha release is probably going to be the worst time to play LRM boats all year, and not because of the quad AMS version nobody is going to run.

The queue is going to be packed with light mechs which move too fast to really hurt with LRMs and they are going to be nascaring like crazy in packs looking to pick off LRM boats.

The best thing to do is shelve the LRM boats until the next 100 tonner drops and switch to Streaks for your QP missiling.

A bunch of durability quirkless 20 tonners running around along with the hordes of people who didn't buy the Piranha running streaks sounds like a great time to be an LRM boat, LRMs tear up light mechs pretty bad, especially ones that have to stay in the open attacking with MGs instead of firing a burst and moving away. (12 ERSL piranha might be pretty good).

edit: also piranha has no ECM on any variant, its going to get owned.

Edited by Dakota1000, 16 January 2018 - 04:03 AM.

#31 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:44 AM

@OP
THX dude totaly missed that 4 AMS variant will have to add that to my order....thanks again...see ya on the battlefield Posted Image

#32 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:46 AM

at some point, PGI should allow the Kodiac and others to mount swords and spears so we can ram and beat each other to death. Good grief, just another nail..........

Edited by Asym, 16 January 2018 - 03:47 AM.

#33 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:51 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 January 2018 - 02:19 AM, said:

Each AMS can negate 1 SRM (400 m/s), 2 SSRM (250m/s), and 3 LRM (160m/s). AMS is less effective against 4xLRM5 than single LRM20. So do the math urself.

You need two AMS to negate NARC beacon (500 m/s), so naturally AMS is very bad against MRMs (475 m/s).

Just curious have you tested isLRM vs cLRM and ATMs (which are bit faster than LRMs).

and I suppose those values are for missiles shot at AMS carrier?

#34 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:56 AM

View PostCurccu, on 16 January 2018 - 03:51 AM, said:

Just curious have you tested isLRM vs cLRM and ATMs (which are bit faster than LRMs).

and I suppose those values are for missiles shot at AMS carrier?

AMS can roughly shoot down twice the amount of CLRM, compared to IS LRM. 5-6 CLRM taken down for single AMS. Twin AMS can shut down a CLRM10. Haven't tested ATMs but ATMs suffer proportionately worse against AMS due to their fewer numbers, despite their increased speed.

And yes, those values are for missiles shot at the carrier beyond max AMS range, which is 250 meters. Inside 250 meters the chance of missile overcoming AMS increases.

Edited by El Bandito, 16 January 2018 - 04:31 AM.

#35 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:38 AM

Solution: nerf clan AMS ROF by 33%. Problem solved, enjoy your mechs.

#36 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

Everything has a downside. Running an uber-hot laser vomit? That's fine, but know that sooner or later you will end up on Terra where your DPS will be drastically reduced due to heat lock.

Taking a streak mech? You may end up in a pack of stealth-armored mechs that you can't target or go up against a pack of Assassins or Bushwackers that will just shrug off your damage because it spreads all over.

LRM/ATM boats, yeah there is ECM to worry about but you can negate that easily enough with TAG. AMS is the only real hard counter. AND, frankly, 1 AMS is totally insufficient to counter a boat. And, currently, I still don't see a significant number of people taking AMS on their builds so I doubt boats are running into mass clouds of AMS right now. Yeah the Kit Fix can triple up, but I almost never see one of those.

So bottom line, yeah you can boat missiles if you want, you just have to bear in mind you MIGHT see a quad-AMS mech running around. That's just the risk you take. Want to mitigate it? Maybe use some common sense and take some secondary weapons.

Honestly though, after the first week or so, I doubt you will see any of those running around.

#37 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:41 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 January 2018 - 08:20 PM, said:

if you put 4 AMS on a piranha youre basically not putting any weapons on it.

This.

There's a reason they are going overboard and giving this mech an OMG amount of ams. It's because it can't effectively use them, just like mad laser quirks on a mech with 1 or 2 laser hardpoints.

#38 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:06 AM

Odd point of fact .
I seem to see one every two out three matches.
Maybe because I'm a lurm boat pilot and we tend to this.
Did I mention they shoot thru walls?

#39 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:25 AM

Lol at op. I feel your pain i really do. I saw which way the wind was blowing and bailed Posted Image somebody in power got touched in the naughty parts by a LRMer and thats that haha.

Edited by Burke IV, 16 January 2018 - 07:25 AM.

#40 D E S D E N O V A

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:07 AM

Personally, I've always considered it a waste of tonnage to use AMS on a light mech anyway; (if you're not quick enough in a light to get behind cover when missiles are incoming, then you're doing something wrong, positioning-wise.)

And as others have said: I doubt it can hold enough ammo to do much more than negate a few early-round LRM salvos, (while sending a huge "here I am" signal up into the sky.)

That being said, I've played enough rounds with Novakaine to vouch for his tactics, and he's no LRM-dependent spammer. He's a decent player, with good comm skills in-game, too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users