467 replies to this topic

#121 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostCataphractos, on 15 February 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

Thanks to Naterist and MischiefLC. Like I said, I'm definitely going for AC-10s, and I believe I'll follow your NARC/TAG advice. I'm not getting much use from either of them anyway. I suppose I fill the Raven's missile slot with some kind of SRM then? (Since LRMs are apparently worthless in this game, and I can't hit jack at long range anyway.)

Which brings me to a new, fourth problem: the skill tree. There is, of course, no in-game tutorial or guidance for the skill tree, and for some incomprehensible reason it uses three different kinds of experience: XP, GXP, and SP. Which means that not only are new players going to make mistakes, throwing precious experience into non-optimal builds...they're also not going to realize that hitting the reset button is worthless, because you're not getting that experience back.

And a fifth problem: if you remove the Raven's BAP for some reason, possibly because you're a new player who wants to try things out and/or doesn't know what they're doing...it won't let you put the BAP back in. Not even if you strip out all the other equipment to try and make room! WHICH WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF BUYING THE RAVEN.

So to answer your question, MischiefLC: I have a Hunchback 4-G with AC-10 and regular AMS. And I used to have a Raven 3-L with TAG, NARC, and two Medium Lasers...but then I fouled it all up, so I stripped it down and sold it away. Now I've got to wait until I have the C-Bills to buy another Raven and start all over again. I'm pretty sure I fouled up the Hunchback too, but I'm not even worried about that one right now.

On the game crashing -

Just use the Steam launcher. Not kidding when I say uninstall, reinstall through Steam. I've played this game since it came out and can comfortably say that what you're describing isn't a hardware issue or even a pure software issue (though the game crashes a lot if you alt-tab out of it very often) but an installation issue. The Steam installer has been rock solid for me and I strongly recommend it.

On the mechs, honestly?

Don't get another Raven. It's not a good mech. The Hunchie 4G is a strong-ish mech but not that great. Don't sell mechs though; just don't do it. It's hugely wasteful of cbills. The Hunchie 4G has some builds that will work for it but they require some good positioning skills and that takes time. Set it aside for now.

I strongly recommend the Warhammer trial mech right now. Grind your matches with that. Keep an eye on your heat, get to ~300m and try to focus all your damage on one location. Shoot twice, then back up and wait to cool off. Keep an eye on the minimap in the bottom center and try to stay clustered with your teammates.

That's going to help you with learning positioning and accuracy (easier to practice with hitscan lasers) and heat management which are skills that will help you with anything and everything else that you play.

#122 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

View PostJon Gotham, on 15 February 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

I also play WOT on occasion, that game's learning curve us far sharper if you want to actually be good at it. Going to outside sites to learn i.e tanksgg is expected and not railed at-it's normal...like anything you do in life. You learn.
The hatred at groups is next to non existent compared to mwo. People understand teamwork is a good thing and isn't "unfair."
Random people group most games-because they understand teamwork is good.....

It's really down to the attitude of who comes here. FW puggies are at odds with logic, all the whining and railing at how "unfair" it is....in wot people join groups and clans-it's expected and normal. No drama or crying about it. So why are mwo players so different?

You forgot or ignored to mention that WOT has a max group size of 3, groups of 3 have a lot less impact in a game where pugs vs groups compared to groups of any size up to 12, IMO thats why in WOT you have a lot less rage about groups than here.

#123 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:37 PM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 04:38 PM.

#124 Cataphractos

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

Okay, I'll try Steam and grind the Warhammer* over the weekend, and see how that works out. Let me know if I still need the portal**, or if I can delete that. But as to the original question...this is why new players quit. MWO is clearly not designed to be a user-friendly game -- instead, it's focused on a particular kind of gaming experience, which won't appeal to all players. Those are two major barriers to getting new players. As long as they exist, there's no point griping about people being mean on the forums, or veterans making fun of noobs/PUGs, or how "kids these days" are too [insert moral failing here]. Even if you fix all those issues, the game itself does everything possible to discourage new blood.

* Eliphas?
** ELIPHAS

#125 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

View PostCataphractos, on 15 February 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

Okay, I'll try Steam and grind the Warhammer* over the weekend, and see how that works out. Let me know if I still need the portal**, or if I can delete that. But as to the original question...this is why new players quit. MWO is clearly not designed to be a user-friendly game -- instead, it's focused on a particular kind of gaming experience, which won't appeal to all players. Those are two major barriers to getting new players. As long as they exist, there's no point griping about people being mean on the forums, or veterans making fun of noobs/PUGs, or how "kids these days" are too [insert moral failing here]. Even if you fix all those issues, the game itself does everything possible to discourage new blood.

* Eliphas?
** ELIPHAS

try telling russ bullock on twitter, or paul inoye on here, as apparently he follows the threads on this site (which i still highly doubt).

this thread is a joke reference to some old threads anyways, we all know new players are almost a non-entity here.

#126 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

View PostCataphractos, on 15 February 2018 - 05:03 AM, said:

No matter how much grinding I put in, I'm never going to be the equal of somebody who's several hundred games ahead of me. And that's the majority of the players. So there's nothing I can do to defeat my enemies; there's nothing I can do to turn the tide for my teammates. All I can do is skulk around in the back and hope the rest of the team wins regardless of my presence, or run out in front and get killed in under two minutes.

Under those circumstances, why should new players bother?

Well aside from the fact that there are loads of players that are actually not that good or impatient maybe, color blind, old, playing for fun, just insisting on playing MWO with a joystick or just running troll builds, it's not about having done more grinding and thus having better equipment that makes players better
It's the experience, which also peaks and platoes at some point
And that's it really

For all its worth, MWO's one thing is that all equipment is available to all (aside from C-bills of course)
If you're playing quick play you could get away with owning a single clan Omni Mech and be actually good with it, and wining and killing stuff
There is no need to actually own a lot of Mechs at all (outside of FP 4 Mechs requirement, which is a mode you shouldn't be playing anyway)

But there is a need in trying to find a Mech, or rather play style that suits you
I'm not for brawling, but always liked long ranged sniping
There are Mechs that cater to that role better than others

Outside of purely more experience that's about it

View PostCataphractos, on 15 February 2018 - 04:45 AM, said:

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions that I need better hardware. That's not the point. This is a game from 2012 -- you know, back when everybody was hyped about Mayans and some guy in Joker cos-play was shooting up theaters? -- with all the game settings dialed back to their minimum values. It's running on a computer built in 2015, which more than meets the stated spec requirements. And it's still crashing. That's the fault of the software engineers, not the players.

This is bad for player retention. I, for one, am not about to go through all the hassle and expense of upgrading my computer, or possibly buying a whole new computer, just for the sake of an F2P game which -- once my current temp-work dry spell ends -- I probably won't even be playing every day. My nostalgia just ain't that strong. It won't be that strong for most players. And that's going to cut back on the number of new players who stick around.

MWO is, ...., sensitive to stability
It really is, that said; ditto on MischiefSC suggestion of using the steam client
Definatly give that a try

There are people playing with fps in the 10 to 20 range and not crashing
Crashes come from other stuff and not "slow" hardware

But a new Windows install might make a difference too, like I said, MWO is a bit sensitive

View PostCataphractos, on 15 February 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

Thanks to Naterist and MischiefLC. Like I said, I'm definitely going for AC-10s, and I believe I'll follow your NARC/TAG advice. I'm not getting much use from either of them anyway. I suppose I fill the Raven's missile slot with some kind of SRM then? (Since LRMs are apparently worthless in this game, and I can't hit jack at long range anyway.)

Which brings me to a new, fourth problem: the skill tree. There is, of course, no in-game tutorial or guidance for the skill tree, and for some incomprehensible reason it uses three different kinds of experience: XP, GXP, and SP. Which means that not only are new players going to make mistakes, throwing precious experience into non-optimal builds...they're also not going to realize that hitting the reset button is worthless, because you're not getting that experience back.

And a fifth problem: if you remove the Raven's BAP for some reason, possibly because you're a new player who wants to try things out and/or doesn't know what they're doing...it won't let you put the BAP back in. Not even if you strip out all the other equipment to try and make room! WHICH WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF BUYING THE RAVEN.

So to answer your question, MischiefLC: I have a Hunchback 4-G with AC-10 and regular AMS. And I used to have a Raven 3-L with TAG, NARC, and two Medium Lasers...but then I fouled it all up, so I stripped it down and sold it away. Now I've got to wait until I have the C-Bills to buy another Raven and start all over again. I'm pretty sure I fouled up the Hunchback too, but I'm not even worried about that one right now.

I'd say keep to the no brainer in the skill tree first, like improving heat dissipation, working your way to laser burn reduction nodes if you use them on that Mech, or ammo nodes for ammo centric Mechs and so on

There is a certain basic pattern on literally all my Mechs, and I always use at least some heat boni
As a start, being a bit more agile and running a little less hot should be a good start for a new player to invest points in

But hands down, MWO isn't big on showing new players the ropes, your right

On Mechs
You probably picked those for a lore reason, or what is the reason of a need to get a Raven for BAP, which any other Mech can equip if you just put it in?
Not good
Light and medium Mechs aren't new player friendly in my opinion at all, except maybe when your actually knowing which ones to get

Going with a good clan heavy is probably better for you, making it an omni would let you try out different play styles without buying new Mechs as well
Add to that better tech that is sturdier (clan xl) and you might be a lot happier about you're match results

Also not sure, but remember to keep the mouse aiming speed nice low in the MWO settings, maybe that throws you off a lot as well

Also this might all belong in the "new player help" section

Edited by Peter2k, 15 February 2018 - 05:33 PM.

#127 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

View PostCataphractos, on 15 February 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

* Eliphas?
** ELIPHAS

At one time when FW was a thing and PGI wasn't trying to shut it down and pretend it didn't happen it was a great entry for new players - there were lots of big loyalist units that found new players and got them onboard. Got you into Teamspeak, walked you through stuff, explained the huge amount of stuff you need to learn to get going in MWO. Before that there was no Matchmaker; you were in matches with people of every skill level. While it was brutal to new players w/l experience it was good in that you were always around more experienced players and most of us were happy to help newbies get going.

Now however you're always with other newbies and it's blind leading the blind. You have to figure the game out well enough to raise a tier or two to be around people who can help you figure the game out.

Keep in mind that most of us got going in the game before the tutorial or training area even existed. We just started out in Quickplay matches and blundered along. Crazy, right?

How to build a mech is as much art as skill and to be honest won't help you a ton until you understand some fundamentals about how stuff works. Lasers are a great weapon to get going with because they're effective, have hitscan accuracy and while hot are not terribly so.

I recommend setting it up with the LPLs on one trigger, MLs on the other and the arm mounted lasers on a third. Then a fourth one with the MLs on chain fire.

90% of the time you're just using two buttons pressed at once; LPLs and MLs. You want the enemy to be at about 300m, a tiny bit over or any amount under. Your LPLs will cycle faster and have more range; if someone is at 600m or less you should feel free to pop the LPLs off at them. Just keep your heat at 30% full or less until the enemy is inside 300m. At that point you want to constantly be shooting. You should always be close to heatcap. See how much shooting raises the bar and how to keep just under it. Learning to ride the redline is like learning to use Jump Jets and held actions in tabletop to backshoot mechs in tabletop, or how to keep someone out of their effective range while in yours. It separated consistent winners from people who just face-rushed and counted on luck.

In truth you want to focus more on two fundamentals right now than anything else - learn to manage accuracy and heat when shooting and learn to stick with your team. Don't get too far ahead, don't get left behind or caught out. Stick with your team and stick close to cover. Those are absolute fundamentals that are hard to pick up.

Building mechs, well, that's what Smurfy is for. That people can help you do by giving you a link to a pre-built mech for you to copy. I can help you build good mechs. Positioning, when to shoot and when to cool? That's stuff that takes time and practice.

#128 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 15 February 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

Keep in mind that most of us got going in the game before the tutorial or training area even existed. We just started out in Quickplay matches and blundered along. Crazy, right?

Aww man, the time it took to orientated yourself, the number of times I died in my Jenner having achieved and done nothing
And running into groups and no MM, ahh the fun :D

But then there were also no double Heatsinks, Atlai were scary and having a single medium laser in the head so you could still kill stuff once you lost both sides was a thing considered useful

#129 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

After the last few days I am more curious why new players don't quit.

It seems a lot of players have zero idea about what it means to contribute. Constantly reinforcing, bringing lurms when they shouldn't (and I am not that picky save for a couple of maps where they should just absolutely not be used), running off without the rest of the team, not grouping up or pushing together in general.

In the last two days I have been on the unfortunate side (attacking) Sulphurous Rift 8 times without one defense (which is almost a gimmie win). I have repeatedly told folks to not continually run back to alpha gate after being bum rushed by Anni's. Very long walk and anyone familiar with the game that has a working brain knows to switch gates so the first wave who pushed out is forced to eject.

It is really basic stuff. Yet I am getting burned out with people who have no idea telling me to gtfo.

Soloing and doing stupid stuff screws over the other people who are playing. I know literally nothing can be done about it. It is wearing on me though. It is really hard when you are really yearning for a decent match, or at least one that is engaging and the same people doing the same stupid @#$%. Add the low population and getting stuck with the same pugs over and over and then the same enemy four or five times in a row....

What is even worse was listening to the utterly brain dead assertion from Paul that psr is working as intended to keep inexperienced players away from experienced ones. (Yet it was named pilot skill rating so as usual I believe pretty much nothing that spews out of that fool's mouth). Yet, there is no match maker in CW so why on earth is there not a bar to keep new and horrendously bad players separated from the mode entirely.

There seems to be more mindless yolo solo quick play garbage than ever before.

#130 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

View PostCataphractos, on 15 February 2018 - 04:45 AM, said:

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions that I need better hardware. That's not the point. This is a game from 2012 -- you know, back when everybody was hyped about Mayans and some guy in Joker cos-play was shooting up theaters? -- with all the game settings dialed back to their minimum values. It's running on a computer built in 2015, which more than meets the stated spec requirements. And it's still crashing. That's the fault of the software engineers, not the players.

1. Use Fullscreen-Windowed. Do not use any other option, and don't argue it either cause we've all been there. Also use the Steam Launcher, it's better and will crosscheck for errors easily (sometimes they happen).

2. Don't run every graphics on Ultra (if you are). The engine is ****, everyone knows about it and it's not a MWO issue as such.

3. If you don't have a SSD... Get one.

I'm running on a 2600k (2011, 7 years old) and until recently a GTX970 @ 1080p. Game ran fine with around 45FPS.

Currently using a GTX1070 @ 1440p with the same CPU and getting around 55-65FPS average, sometimes more or less depending on a dozen factors and the random FPS drops that we all have to live with. I know my CPU is probably a limiting factor there as well although I've never actually checked.

As the others have said though you are not ready for Faction Play. You have at least 3-5months of learning the game and if you wanna LORENerd yourself, FP is absolutely not the place to do that. You will get eaten alive by proper FPS/META builds.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 15 February 2018 - 09:31 PM.

#131 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

I about died laughing when a potato told me we would miss new players in cw.

#132 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

View PostFake News, on 16 February 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

I about died laughing when a potato told me we would miss new players in cw.

Its all hilarious for now until we end up with 1 hour wait times

#133 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:41 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 16 February 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

LOl yeah, like the time when we had the multiple bucket system online. Brings back memories.. ".. dont queue up on defence Yo!"

Edited by Ssamout, 16 February 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#134 Cataphractos

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 15 February 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Also this might all belong in the "new player help" section

That's probably true. Should I start a new thread? This one's already 7 pages long.

#135 Cataphractos

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:46 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 15 February 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

Now however you're always with other newbies and it's blind leading the blind. You have to figure the game out well enough to raise a tier or two to be around people who can help you figure the game out.

I've noticed. I keep having to ask questions like "why are we trying to outrun a Locust?" and "why are we spread out across half the map?" and "which grid square are we focusing on?" I don't even bother asking non-rhetorical questions, like "should I find the VIP Mech?" or "do you want me to power the turrets?", because clearly even a basic frontal assault is too tactically complex for a lot of teams to pull off. (At least on Tier 5.)

In truth you want to focus more on two fundamentals right now than anything else - learn to manage accuracy and heat when shooting and learn to stick with your team. Don't get too far ahead, don't get left behind or caught out. Stick with your team and stick close to cover. Those are absolute fundamentals that are hard to pick up.

I'm not having too much of a problem with heat management. But I can't be sure if that's because I'm actually managing my heat well...or because I usually get blasted to bits 10 seconds after the shooting finally starts, so heat doesn't have much chance to build up in the first place. And sometimes getting blasted to bits is my own fault -- especially in those first few days, when I would get impatient or say to myself "I'm running a scout Mech, let's try being sneaky and moving around behind them!" -- but sometimes it's a consequence of the team falling apart because half of us are chasing after Locusts or whatever. I can control the first part, but there's nothing I can do about the latter. How does anybody manage to get a 1:1 kill:death ratio in this game?

Edited by Cataphractos, 16 February 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#136 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

View PostCataphractos, on 16 February 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

I've noticed. I keep having to ask questions like "why are we trying to outrun a Locust?" and "why are we spread out across half the map?" and "which grid square are we focusing on?" I don't even bother asking non-rhetorical questions, like "should I find the VIP Mech?" or "do you want me to power the turrets?", because clearly even a basic frontal assault is too tactically complex for a lot of teams to pull off. (At least on Tier 5.)

I'm not having too much of a problem with heat management. But I can't be sure if that's because I'm actually managing my heat well...or because I usually get blasted to bits 10 seconds after the shooting finally starts, so heat doesn't have much chance to build up in the first place. And sometimes getting blasted to bits is my own fault -- especially in those first few days, when I would get impatient or say to myself "I'm running a scout Mech, let's try being sneaky and moving around behind them!" -- but sometimes it's a consequence of the team falling apart because half of us are chasing after Locusts or whatever. I can control the first part, but there's nothing I can do about the latter. How does anybody manage to get a 1:1 kill:death ratio in this game?

That's the trick to learn with practice.

It's about range management and exposure. Learning how to minimize your exposure, how to identify enemies you can shoot at where only 1 mech can shoot back at you, what mechs are more of a threat than others and need killed first, how to read the behavior of your own team to try to play as a team even if they're not using teamwork.

It's a lot to pick up. If you're NOT having heat issues it means you're not shooting enough. Stay with mechs are moving about your own speed and try to stay near the front of them. Shoot often. Your lasers will do minimal damage out to 2x their effective range just the damage falls off linearly. So your MLs are good to almost 600m - but at much over 400m they're already at 1/2 damage. Your LPLs are good to about 800m and are a much better option for longer range poking. Poke with those LPLs at anything/everything inside 800m. At about 400m you should be shooting MLs and LPLs together and you should *always* be looking for someone to shoot.

Dying doesn't mean anything. Hell, spectating is always good because you see what other people are doing that works well or badly and you learn from it. Be aggressive. That doesn't mean walk across the open at the enemy shooting the whole way but it does mean *always* be shooting or getting into a position to shoot.

It can also help to just have small goals. Pick an enemy early in the match and just kill that guy. No matter what else happens, that guy? you're going to get up on him, you're going to damage him, and then you're going to kill him. Win or lose, that guy? you're going to kill him. Strategizing around killing a specific target is something you'll need to learn to do reflexively.

Learning patience and positioning and intelligent aggression is hard. Really hard; plenty of players never actually learn those skills. Like I said; mech building? Easy. It's math. Accuracy? That's just practice. Learning the right behavioral habits? That's stuff a lot of players don't pick up, well, ever. They either play too far back and too cautious, using their teammates as meat shields and while their stats look pretty they don't actually win a lot of matches or they never learn the right sort of strategic patience that turns a mediocre player into someone who consistently drives wins.

Gonna be honest - you're going to suck at this for months. MONTHS. Every match. You're going to feel incompetent and you're going to get killed and not even understand why. The biggest amazing and unique thing about this game is just how complex it is; the combat, there's just nothing like it in any game like I said before; I have over 230 mechs and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses and good builds and not so good builds. My Guass + 3xll, 4xML MAD BH plays utterly and completely differently than my MAD 5D with 2xMRM30s, 5xMLs. Both are really strong for me, both are variants of the exact same mech - however they play completely differently and against each other it would come down to map and positioning.

If you've got the patience to really learn the game it's one that will entertain you for years. I've probably got 2300 hours into MWO, easily. I still enjoy it.

I really sucked for my first, oh, 1,000 matches though. Now that I'm at like 4k or 5k I'm the upper side of mediocre. Always more things to learn.

#137 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 16 February 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

And, you don't need to wonder where us "new guys" went cause FP and the antics w/i FP drove us out. Entire, well established, teams left...... We use to have weekly trails, practices and two nights a week dropped in FP. May skill tree and poof ! We lasted 1 month and then everyone just "gave up" and now, as of an hour ago, of the 55 of us, 6 have played MWO this month....

You reap what you sow.................

#138 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:18 PM

View PostCataphractos, on 16 February 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

I'm running a scout Mech, let's try being sneaky and moving around behind them... How does anybody manage to get a 1:1 kill:death ratio in this game?

Experience really

Trying to be sneaky in a light and trying to bite the Enemy in the back will just make 4 Mechs or more focus on you, trying to hunt you down

Without actually knowing your scouting will be useful, as in it will provide targeting info for LRM (you can't know, unless your dropping with a group with dedicated LRM boats, then it would be 1 Scout per 3 LRM boats or so), it will be rather useless compared to building a light whose job it is to fend off other lights, or maybe play long range poking in it while staying still with the group

Frankly playing lights and mediums needs a more experienced play style in my mind
If you ever stop moving in a light your doing it wrong, as they just don't have the Armor nor firepower
If your playing long range with a light your constantly repositioning or your armor is getting chewed off so damn fast
If your going for medium to close range then you never want to be the center of attention, so sticking to the big guns that are more tempting targets is the way to go there

You really wanna play a supporting light?
Don't bring more than a TAG really as it's just 1 ton, you can still provide an ECM bubble, AMS screen, BAP still gives a sensor range boost and generally can help fend off other lights
All can be done without exposing yourself to most of the Enemy team, at least not in an easy to be singled out kinda way

Also playing the objective (other than killing the enemy team) is mostly not that useful either
If your running around capping in conquest then not only will your payout be bad, but your depriving your team of firepower, ECM bubble(maybe) and just a wee bit of armor
In theory capping would be good, in reality the maps are not big enough to make a difference with it
Normally once the Enemy team is done wiping the floor with your team they still have enough time left to cap and win by points

Again, playing a light and even medium isn't something that feasable for a beginner
Can't go wrong with a heavy, hellbringer, ebon jag, Warhammer highly recommended

Assaults also require a different more experienced approach, as positioning matters a lot
And usually your team leaves you behind in an assault

Btw
When I first started I was thinking a light might be cheaper to run so saving some c-bills
But upgrading a light until it's modestly useful is an expensive endeavour as well

The cost of upgrading an IS light with endo, ferro, XL engine and double Heatsinks is usually way more than the Mech itself costs
And thats not even factoring in mistakes like having choosen a sub optimal XL engine (rating) having to buy a different one or something

Edited by Peter2k, 16 February 2018 - 10:23 PM.

#139 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:28 PM

View PostAsym, on 16 February 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

And, you don't need to wonder where us "new guys" went cause FP and the antics w/i FP drove us out. Entire, well established, teams left...... We use to have weekly trails, practices and two nights a week dropped in FP. May skill tree and poof ! We lasted 1 month and then everyone just "gave up" and now, as of an hour ago, of the 55 of us, 6 have played MWO this month....

You reap what you sow.................

Well it's also hard to come up with a reason to actually play after 4000 or 5000 matches I have to say
Beyond grinding for c-bills what meaning does any of it have?

Clubbing seals gets old really fast, and slugging it out with 12 mans might be a nice challenge but again Ohh so useless beyond the "thrill of the fight"

And Thats on top off the usual MWO problems and PGI design decisions

#140 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:03 AM

View PostCataphractos, on 16 February 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

That's probably true. Should I start a new thread? This one's already 7 pages long.

In all honesty you should

as you have noticed MWO doesn't do a lot of hand holding

asking vets for advise is one of the very few ways to learn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users