#161 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:00 AM

View Postdarkcyd, on 17 February 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

So, I guess the real question is if they did a full wipe, would you do it again? Is faction play worth the grind from a fresh account? With the queue problems, finding a unit, learning curve and steam rolling if you mess any of that up, I think from the majority and by that I mean well into the 99 percentile would say no. Which is why you only have 5% participating of people WITH accounts.

And you really can't blame them. Most people who play this either played earlier mechwarriors or are battletech fans. They, and I will lump myself in with them are loyal to the game. But you do have to call Pirahna out for milking the fan base instead of growing it.

Yes.

110% worth it.

Why?

"Queue Problems" are not a problem - I play in a Group in the Group Queue and do not Faction hop to avoid playing teams.

Finding a Unit is one of the easiest things to do unless you are socially inept. You see Unit pilots playing in a similar way, you take note of the Unit tag and seek them out for membership, easy AF.

Yes, there is a learning curve. You are warned of what you will face. You are warned of what you will need at a minimum to play. Ignore it at your own clubbing.

Your excuses are weak and you must take control of your own gameplay as no one else gives a **** if you cannot even do the bare minimum.

#162 Cataphractos

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:15 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 19 February 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

for all those try-hards and meta nonsense players out there (come on a game is about fun, where is the diversity in builds I was hoping to see, the mystery of seeing an enemy mech and not knowing just what it might be packing. hell I get a good laugh when someone in a really derpy build takes me out.)

First: hello fellow new player!

Second: the longer any given game exists, the higher the ratio of "meta nonsense players" to "derpy builds" will be. That's true regardless of genre (from FPS to RTS to RPG), that's true regardless of medium (from PC to console to table-top). MWO has been around for five years...six if you include the beta-testing. So I don't think you're going to see a lot of derp at this point, unless you're doing Quick Play as a Tier 4/5.

#163 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:16 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 21 February 2018 - 04:00 AM, said:

Finding a Unit is one of the easiest things to do unless you are socially inept. You see Unit pilots playing in a similar way, you take note of the Unit tag and seek them out for membership, easy AF.

Yup. Even if you're already in a unit and wanna do some faction play drops. I've solo dropped a few times until I found a unit running group drops, and just asked if I could join in. Haven't been told to go away yet.

#164 Cataphractos

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:27 AM

Your excuses are weak and you must take control of your own gameplay as no one else gives a **** if you cannot even do the bare minimum.

The question is about recruitment and retention numbers...not the quality of the recruits being retained. Remember your George Carlin:

"Think of how stupid the 'average' person is -- and then realize, half of 'em are stupider than that!"

#165 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

Yes, there is a learning curve. You are warned of what you will face. You are warned of what you will need at a minimum to play. Ignore it at your own clubbing.

Socially inept and/or time handicapped. On weekdays I can spare as much as two hours, and even then I must pause to do home stuff. I did manage an FP round or two when I used to return from work earlier, but now I just prefer to have more rounds in QP.

That is not to say FP always takes a lot of time. When I dropped in last weekend it was us skittles defending at Grim Portico against two unit 4-mans. They rushed in with almost a full wave of Annis and wiped out our first and part of second wave. Needless to say that round went pretty fast, although somehow I struggle to appreciate it. Do not think player skill mattered much either. At least I (will have) had Solaris.

#166 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:41 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 21 February 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

Do not think player skill mattered much either.

UGH. Look in the forums and you have countless examples that contradicts what you just said.

#167 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 22 February 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

UGH. Look in the forums and you have countless examples that contradicts what you just said.

I fail to see the (need for) skill when you have two 4-mans and almost a full wave of Annihilators quirked way above and beyond anything Dire Wolf could ever hope for... by the way Posted Image

#168 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 22 February 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

I fail to see the (need for) skill when you have two 4-mans and almost a full wave of Annihilators quirked way above and beyond anything Dire Wolf could ever hope for... by the way Posted Image

You fail to see the need for skill when skill is the means by which you and your team could have defeated that wave? I mean Annihilators are powerful, but they're not insta-win mechs. You and your team could have handled them had you played smarter... and I don't say that trying to imply that you're dumb. But it certainly does seem that your skill level wasn't up to that kind of challenge.

#169 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

alpha, fade, alpha, fade, alpha.....you can see where this is going. You have high alpha and mobility. Do not try to go toe to toe with IS assault wave

also your team basically have no choice but to focus targets down when getting rolled by IS armour, otherwise you're screwed

#170 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

Full wave of annihilators vs skill = farmers market.

#171 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

A full wave of Annihilators would be a terrible idea. Strikes would rip their asses up. They'd have to be grouped, or they'd slowly trickle in 1 by 1 and die to concentrated alphas. They also have generally short range (most effective and deadly 200-400 meters away depending on loadouts). They're great on defense missions, but I don't think they have a place in IS drop decks on attack missions honestly.

#172 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 22 February 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

A full wave of Annihilators would be a terrible idea. Strikes would rip their asses up. They'd have to be grouped, or they'd slowly trickle in 1 by 1 and die to concentrated alphas. They also have generally short range (most effective and deadly 200-400 meters away depending on loadouts). They're great on defense missions, but I don't think they have a place in IS drop decks on attack missions honestly.

if you're facing pugs and you have 6+ dakka annis it's pretty easy to walk (very slowly) all the way to the clan drop zone if clan skittles don't focus targets well. You need good focus fire + kiting to stop this

#173 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:41 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 22 February 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

alpha, fade, alpha, fade, alpha.....you can see where this is going. You have high alpha and mobility. Do not try to go toe to toe with IS assault wave

also your team basically have no choice but to focus targets down when getting rolled by IS armour, otherwise you're screwed

hard not to when said assaults are 12 and on defense.... and you have small lanes of approach... and they have nice firing lines no matter where you go...

But in QP yeah its too easy. well coordinated 12 man of nova/assas/crab can wipe mish mash of a group easy.

So its definitely a map design problem working in favor for the build/role.

#174 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:44 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 22 February 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

if you're facing pugs and you have 6+ dakka annis it's pretty easy to walk (very slowly) all the way to the clan drop zone if clan skittles don't focus targets well. You need good focus fire + kiting to stop this

Right, especially focus fire. But for that you need to call targets and wake your house mates in the process. The other guys obviously had the time, opportunity and/or desire to do so, but we did not, the result being

View PostSsamout, on 22 February 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

Full wave of annihilators vs skill = farmers market.

...and farmed we were, oh boy Posted Image

View PostHazeclaw, on 22 February 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

Probably so, but as stated above this requires (actually mandates) team coordination. Now the question is whether the IS has such considerations when dealing with Clan mechs...

View PostVerilligo, on 22 February 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

But it certainly does seem that your skill level wasn't up to that kind of challenge.

First one is half-hour old, second was Feb 04. Not sure about your chosen measure of skill, but whatever.

Spoiler

#175 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 19 February 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

also in QP there seems little if any tactical play or communication so there you aren't prepared for the required levels of Team play required to do well in FP.
It is there, just not so common in the lower tiers.

for all those try-hards and meta nonsense players out there (come on a game is about fun, where is the diversity in builds I was hoping to see, the mystery of seeing an enemy mech and not knowing just what it might be packing. hell I get a good laugh when someone in a really derpy build takes me out.)
Diversity in builds belongs mainly in QP. FP comes with the expectation that the enemy will field minmaxed tryhard builds, so similar builds will be used to counter that. There's nothing unusual about it.

(as for TS or other outside programs, I have said it many times but just NO. you shouldn't have to use outside services just to group up and work together or find a team that works for you, its one of my biggest issues with many multiplayer games.)
Those features should be built into the game and its' official forum/website. They aren't, so people do what they need to do.

#176 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

I have 3 builds that I use to a large success in my direwhale, 4 lpl 12 erml , it's hot af but its a huh alpha ebon on each arm, it ***** things up. Second Is my 6 uac5, also hot at, but Jesus the dakka. The Las is he 2 gauss 2lpl 6 erml. Not as hot but packs a punch that can almost ct open any mech if you burn on it.

Edited by C H E E K I E Z, 22 February 2018 - 04:14 PM.

#177 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

1. Lack of a sp campaign to build interest in the battletech universe
2. Lack of a PvsE mode to gradually get better, and also to return to when one gets frustrated with PvsP

#178 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 22 February 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

trickle in 1 by 1 and die to concentrated alphas.

There's no concentrated alphas when the team is full of lurm potatoes.

#179 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

View PostNightbird, on 22 February 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

1. Lack of a sp campaign to build interest in the battletech universe
2. Lack of a PvsE mode to gradually get better, and also to return to when one gets frustrated with PvsP

if teir 5 was just players vs AI, like it is in LoL, then a lot of the new player problems would likely be reduced/eliminated.

#180 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:04 PM

View Postnaterist, on 22 February 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

if teir 5 was just players vs AI, like it is in LoL, then a lot of the new player problems would likely be reduced/eliminated.
Hardly. Most of those problems tend to exist between their own chair and keyboard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users