467 replies to this topic

#181 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:07 AM

View Postfenomeno, on 22 February 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

So this is a common problem for new / low-skill players.. you lack the experience/understanding to even comprehend the skill required, much less understand and execute it. If an enemy team attacks with 'almost a full wave of annihilators' it should be an easy win... the Dire Wolf is a terrible mech, the fact that you even mention it in the same post as annihilators shows that you need to do a bit more reading/learning as far as faction play is concerned.

Aside from terrain usage and initial tech knowledge literally all the skills necessary to improve in MWO are very quickly and brutally developed in Quake Champions (would also mention the modern UT but it is no longer developed, though the servers are still up). And I am speaking from experience. It is my absolute certainty that a major chunk of MWO tryhards ended down here because they have had their lower rear torsi handed to them in Quake or Unreal (this also from experience). All of this coordination stuff is only relevant when you have a talker and a listener, who the blue team never seems to have unless I group up (and maybe not even then Posted Image). Like I said, I am time handicapped and loud speech impaired, so rarely an option for me whether I like it or not. It is also the case in QP but there the rounds last a lot less so the consequences of relying on one's team are equally reduced, and Solaris solo duels promise to rid of them altogether (and probably exacerbate in team duels). Only there and then may we hold any conversation on individual skill that is based on hard facts.

#182 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:25 AM

Quit FP, in particular?

Well, why did 90+ % of this games playerbase quit FP? Because it's bad. Plain and simple.

Lets not forget that FP would probably have something like 300-500 players with more than 100 matches played if it wasn't for several events which required to play plenty of FP matches to get all rewards. People left CW in droves weeks after its initial release.

It's somewhat redundant to ask why "new" people quit FP (not that there are many new players in 2018) when the mode couldn't even enthuse the existing playerbase.

Edited by meteorol, 23 February 2018 - 02:26 AM.

#183 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:00 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 23 February 2018 - 02:25 AM, said:

Quit FP, in particular?

Well, why did 90+ % of this games playerbase quit FP? Because it's bad. Plain and simple.

Well there is definitely room for improvement but I can't say QP is better. FP is now all about the grind imo, it would be much better if they introduced new stuff that is FP only to attract back the playerbase that quit FP but then again the dev team is putting all their eggs into MW5 and Solaris so that's very unlikely in the near future. Hopefully we get to see new stuff for FP in 2019?

#184 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:38 AM

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 23 February 2018 - 03:00 AM, said:

Well there is definitely room for improvement but I can't say QP is better.

Well, according to like 90 % of the playerbase (if it wasn't for events, probably more like 95-98 %) it is, though.

When 90 % of the playerbase stay in QP (solo and group queue), you know there are fundamental issues with the gamemode itself. Mind you, MWO, as a whole, is losing players. Which, to a certain extent, is expected from a 6 year old F2P title.
FP (or CW, like it was called back in the day) lost a massive amount of players mere weeks after it's initial release.

PGI overslept years to implement direly needed improvements to FP. They won't wake up now.

#185 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:08 AM

@Sniper

I respect your point but i see mixing up 2 different things:

You get stomped by "overquirked" Annis and 1 post later you said you were farmed this match because of lack of communication, focus fire and because your teammates had bad builds.

Please dont mix up these things, i am really tired of it.

Yesterday we had a match against 8 men premade or something (FP - Crimson - Assault), 1 guy of us started fake capping to break enemy formation. Immedietaly they started trash talk ("we are lame cause objective rush"), we shoot them. Then they said "ez mode IS because MRMs", most of us had LAser Vomits and Dakka....

Problem is, i organize every time i drop a 12 men team, but it doesnt look like 12 men, more like a pure pug with 3 OSOs. Because of that enemies think IS OP, but actually we are 12 men on ts and know each others playstyle very well.

Also, if we are 10 men before drop, i always look into LFG and take 1 or 2 pugs with us. After watching them how they act during a match, they get a friend invite and are invited from me on a regurlarly base.

Edit:
sry for grammar

Edited by Bishop Six, 23 February 2018 - 04:10 AM.

#186 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:12 AM

They quit because it's too salty, we need a bit of sweetener !

#187 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:23 PM

View Postmeteorol, on 23 February 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

Well, according to like 90 % of the playerbase (if it wasn't for events, probably more like 95-98 %) it is, though.

Definitely player opinion I suppose, FP imo is more competitive and more rewarding than QP. Besides, I think that the best way to git gud is to play FP until you become someone who is feared on the battlefield, to the point where the enemy highlights your name when you appear on the opposite side. FP has also more tactics involved than QP. The only downside is insane waiting time, imbalanced matchmaking and relatively similar modes/maps.

#188 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:26 PM

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 23 February 2018 - 11:23 PM, said:

Besides, I think that the best way to git gud is to play FP until you become someone who is feared on the battlefield, to the point where the enemy highlights your name when you appear on the opposite side.
And I totally agree. However, your typical scrub doesn't have the patience and persistence to achieve this.

#189 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:27 PM

View PostSniper09121986, on 22 February 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

Right, especially focus fire. But for that you need to call targets and wake your house mates in the process. The other guys obviously had the time, opportunity and/or desire to do so, but we did not, the result being

...and farmed we were, oh boy Posted Image

Probably so, but as stated above this requires (actually mandates) team coordination. Now the question is whether the IS has such considerations when dealing with Clan mechs...

First one is half-hour old, second was Feb 04. Not sure about your chosen measure of skill, but whatever.

Spoiler

May I remind you that QP is elo based. FP is an entirely different story. Being T1 simply isn't good enough, you need to be at least T0.5 with good understanding of metamechs and piloting in order to do good in FP.

#190 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:44 AM

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 23 February 2018 - 11:27 PM, said:

May I remind you that QP is elo based. FP is an entirely different story. Being T1 simply isn't good enough, you need to be at least T0.5 with good understanding of metamechs and piloting in order to do good in FP.

That's a bit of a stretch. It's not about meta, but rather building your mechs for specific tasks - something you can learn by experimenting with builds in QP and improving on ones that work out. Pilot competence... 70th percentile of player performance (per Isengrim leaderboards) in QP is good enough to routinely clear 1.5k and go above 2k on better matches.

Edited by Horseman, 24 February 2018 - 01:44 AM.

#191 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:12 AM

I dont get this thread I think this thread has it backwards . The vet players quit FP more often . QP is more balanced because its a battle royal.

I recall as a newbie I was attracted to FP especially the invasion . If i won i got paid more than QP . My rank goes up I get faction goodies and titles . Its way more interesting . I want a Clans vs IS experience . I want to play in a omni mech next to other omni mechs .
It was a wee bit annoying being splatted ASAP or being carried in a wave of clubbers with no middle ground or feeling like you dont contribute , but not enough to quit or anything. So those 25 percent chance of winning is so much more satisfying and rewarding than QP wins.

Heck i would quit if I was forced to play QP games only because of low rank . If there is one problem its not enough game choices. I think Solaris will help alot with that .

#192 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 23 February 2018 - 11:27 PM, said:

May I remind you that QP is elo based.

Nope, it is not. The ELO algorithms that PGI uses reward a player for success more than they penalise him for a failure. So it is entirely possible to climb to the top rank on mediocre play as opposed to staying on a mediocre level. ELO by PGI is an XP bar that can roll back and thus defeats its own purpose and is not indicative of, well, anything.

#193 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 23 February 2018 - 11:23 PM, said:

Besides, I think that the best way to git gud is to play FP until you become someone who is feared on the battlefield.

I disagree. I think QP is the place to learn basic skills like trading and torso twisting. FP requires a lot more thought in terms of dropdecks and tactics (for instance you never have to consider ejecting in QP).

#194 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:50 AM

View PostHorseman, on 24 February 2018 - 01:44 AM, said:

That's a bit of a stretch. It's not about meta, but rather building your mechs for specific tasks - something you can learn by experimenting with builds in QP and improving on ones that work out. Pilot competence... 70th percentile of player performance (per Isengrim leaderboards) in QP is good enough to routinely clear 1.5k and go above 2k on better matches.

I think meta is necessary to do well in FP along with knowing what mechs to drop according to the situation. Haven't really Jarled FP players but I feel that the better doing players are at least above 80th percentile?

View PostSniper09121986, on 24 February 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

Nope, it is not. The ELO algorithms that PGI uses reward a player for success more than they penalise him for a failure. So it is entirely possible to climb to the top rank on mediocre play as opposed to staying on a mediocre level. ELO by PGI is an XP bar that can roll back and thus defeats its own purpose and is not indicative of, well, anything.

Well not too sure about the tier system but you could be matched up against people +-2 tiers if I'm not wrong so you get a really wide skill difference sometimes.

View PostKubernetes, on 24 February 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

I disagree. I think QP is the place to learn basic skills like trading and torso twisting. FP requires a lot more thought in terms of dropdecks and tactics (for instance you never have to consider ejecting in QP).

The basics are definitely best learnt in QP because it is more forgiving. But when you want to put yourself up against really good pilots and improve I would say FP is the best place for it. On my main account I went from a 1k damage on average pilot to an easy 2k damage pilot. I've learnt so much from it that I most definitely recommend FP to anyone who really wants to be the top few percentile.

Edited by Yondu the Ravager, 25 February 2018 - 12:51 AM.

#195 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:05 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 24 February 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Fun fact: two best players in my unit including me prefer FP over QP.

#196 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:05 AM

Congrats on your win against Chimera den, was really wondering who was going to come up on top in the Finals. Seems that you made a comeback from a 0-1 deficit to win 2-1.

#197 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

View PostdenAirwalkerrr, on 25 February 2018 - 01:05 AM, said:

Fun fact: two best players in my unit including me prefer FP over QP.

My entire unit prefers FP. To paraphrase one member, 'I played QP only for years.'

#198 Jaybles-The-PegLeg-PotatoCaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 25 February 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

My entire unit prefers FP. To paraphrase one member, 'I played QP only for years.'

What is 'QP' ?

#199 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

View PostJaybles-The-PegLeg-PotatoCaptain, on 25 February 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

What is 'QP' ?

Quick Play

#200 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

View PostHorseman, on 25 February 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

Quick Play

You do not see what he did there, quiaff? Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic