467 replies to this topic

#281 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

The rewards for putting the time and effort to do faction play just isn't there. People are known to go through hellish grinding to get shinies, but there are no shinies to be had in FP. FP requires multiple drop decks, different tactics and more coordination than QP. I do all that for what? Posted Image

If FP is like raiding in other MMOs then it has no epics or legendaries to farm. Posted Image

For me it's not worth the effort. I'd rather just farm QP. Posted Image

Edited by Elizander, 13 June 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#282 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

View PostElizander, on 13 June 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

The rewards for putting the time and effort to do faction play just isn't there. People are known to go through hellish grinding to get shinies, but there are no shinies to be had in FP. FP requires multiple drop decks, different tactics and more coordination than QP. I do all that for what? Posted Image

If FP is like raiding in other MMOs then it has no epics or legendaries to farm. Posted Image

I find playing FP itself a lot more fun than QP, but yea it could use better rewards. Wouldn't even have to be something completely fresh, maybe just a free hero mech of your choice + a custom FP skin when you hit max level in a faction.

#283 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:14 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 13 June 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

I find playing FP itself a lot more fun than QP, but yea it could use better rewards. Wouldn't even have to be something completely fresh, maybe just a free hero mech of your choice + a custom FP skin when you hit max level in a faction.

Rework of LP based rewards would be kool.

But MUST start with the removal of the low hanging fruit, ie Bays, to a higher position in the LP tree.

Quick and easy way to filter out farmers from those there to play CW. Filter them out so we have less potatoes only there for Bays and ruining the experience for everyone on both sides.

#284 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:10 AM

Eh. I only really got into CW for the easy bays, but that's CW's what caused me to stick with the game. The entire point of the low hanging fruit is to entice folk to try the game mode. once we're here and having fun, the rest is just nice rewards.

I've never really found the game grindy.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 14 June 2018 - 07:10 AM.

#285 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:16 AM

I thought this thread was dead after we collectively blamed EVIL.... ;)

#286 Cabanaboy

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

First FP drop in quite a few months. A group marched all their assaults into our spawn and picked us off 1x1. Cool. That's the way to not enrage players and cause them to give up the mode (Sarcasm). Idiots. I want to like FP so much, I bought 2 extra drop decks to make a versatile setup, but I could drop 4 Annihilators and wouldn't have scratched spawn camping like that.

Edited by Cabanaboy, 19 June 2018 - 01:03 PM.

#287 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:05 PM

View PostCabanaboy, on 19 June 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

First FP drop in quite a few months. A group marched all their assaults into our spawn and picked us off 1x1. Cool. That's the way to not enrage players and cause them to give up the mode (Sarcasm). Idiots. I want to like FP so much, I bought 2 extra drop decks to make a versatile setup, but I could drop 4 Annihilators and wouldn't have scratched spawn camping like that.

Have you tried grouping up with people who know what they are doing? Did you read the warning?

#288 Cabanaboy

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:10 PM

View PostS O L A I S, on 19 June 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

Have you tried grouping up with people who know what they are doing? Did you read the warning?

Yes, and that DOES NOT change the fact that whine about LRM camping at spawn, but making spawn alot harder to access or stay inside is more community friendly than letting it be low hanging fruit, or giving the main objective up. What, in a dedicate 12 man, should the 12 man stay in the spawn just for fear of this? How does that make sense when the objective is the point of the game? ECm and AMS counters LRM.

Edited by Cabanaboy, 19 June 2018 - 01:10 PM.

#289 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

View PostCabanaboy, on 19 June 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

Eh, we do the same thing to clanners, when we can at least. If they're able to cut through your first wave with zero casualties (or 1-2) and spawn camp with their mechs, you don't stand a chance anyway, so they're just getting it over fast. Those drop ships are seriously powerful though, so it's not as if spawn camping is the usual.

Dropping solo in faction play is always a pain in the neck. Either join a unit and drop only with them, or do solo drops until you see a group of 6+ guys with the same unit tag and ask if they have any spare invites, and join them. Be prepared to join Discord or TS.

Also, just be aware that if you're doing 400-500 damage in faction play with your four mechs combined, you probably won't be invited to play with many people. If that's the case, I'd suggest doing quick play to build up your mech selection and skills, unti you can average around 1,000 damage, which is the point at which you're pretty much pulling your weight.

#290 Cabanaboy

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:29 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 19 June 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

Eh, we do the same thing to clanners, when we can at least. If they're able to cut through your first wave with zero casualties (or 1-2) and spawn camp with their mechs, you don't stand a chance anyway, so they're just getting it over fast. Those drop ships are seriously powerful though, so it's not as if spawn camping is the usual.

Dropping solo in faction play is always a pain in the neck. Either join a unit and drop only with them, or do solo drops until you see a group of 6+ guys with the same unit tag and ask if they have any spare invites, and join them. Be prepared to join Discord or TS.

Also, just be aware that if you're doing 400-500 damage in faction play with your four mechs combined, you probably won't be invited to play with many people. If that's the case, I'd suggest doing quick play to build up your mech selection and skills, unti you can average around 1,000 damage, which is the point at which you're pretty much pulling your weight.

Can't put together good damage numbers if 3 of your 4 mechs are slagged before they touch the ground ;)

I understand what everyone is saying, but this thread asked why player quit FP. This is a cause. The fix would be to up the Dropship damage more. LRM issues? ECM and AMS your stuff. I can say that and it is valid, if the response is 'just drop with a dedicated group' from the other side, because that also isn't fixing anything or helping players become involved in the community. FP is meant to be hard, you are meant to coordinate and actually use strategy and counter enemy moves. This is a move that has very little leeway in the counter department, unless you are actively placing your mechs to prevent it, which may limit your objective options on every map. If you want to see FP grow, telling everyone to just join a dedicate group or 'pound sand' isn't going to do it. Players will get camped 2 FP matches in a day and give up on the mode, or maybe even the game, who knows.

#291 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

View PostCabanaboy, on 19 June 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

Can't put together good damage numbers if 3 of your 4 mechs are slagged before they touch the ground Posted Image

I understand what everyone is saying, but this thread asked why player quit FP. This is a cause. The fix would be to up the Dropship damage more. LRM issues? ECM and AMS your stuff. I can say that and it is valid, if the response is 'just drop with a dedicated group' from the other side, because that also isn't fixing anything or helping players become involved in the community. FP is meant to be hard, you are meant to coordinate and actually use strategy and counter enemy moves. This is a move that has very little leeway in the counter department, unless you are actively placing your mechs to prevent it, which may limit your objective options on every map. If you want to see FP grow, telling everyone to just join a dedicate group or 'pound sand' isn't going to do it. Players will get camped 2 FP matches in a day and give up on the mode, or maybe even the game, who knows.

Sorry if i sound hard, but you shouldnt talk in plural. You are 1 single person you had a bad match tonight and now you want to "give it to us".

If players stop a game because they get ***** 2 times in a row, then it is not the problem of the game.

A little bit self critisim would be good for everyone. I cant tell you how often i got ***** in a row sometimes. Still you can use losses to learn.

If i learn i have fun...sorry but thats a german thing perhaps. Getting better is fun and to steel your soul by getting ***** can be useful for your style of play. Trust me. You see many names here who often drop in FP. Just add someone ingame who underlined his motivation to help pugs out.

Or are you expecting that you have to do nothing and everything around you is adapting your personal wishes?

Edited by Bishop Six, 19 June 2018 - 01:47 PM.

#292 Cabanaboy

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

View PostBishop Six, on 19 June 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Sorry if i sound hard, but you shouldnt talk in plural. You are 1 single person you had a bad match tonight and now you want to "give it to us".

If players stop a game because they get ***** 2 times in a row, then it is not the problem of the game.

A little bit self critisim would be good for everyone. I cant tell you how often i got ***** in a row sometimes. Still you can use losses to learn.

If i learn i have fun...sorry but thats a german thing perhaps. Getting better is fun and to steel your soul by getting ***** can be useful for your style of play. Trust me. You see many names here who often drop in FP. Just add someone ingame who underlined his motivation to help pugs out.

Or are you expecting that you have to do nothing and everything around you is adapting your personal wishes?

Hardly. I'm expecting not to be spawn camped in a match. No more, no less. I don't feel that is being selfish. I'm not asking for my mech to have triple armor, have 1 slot, 1 ton LBX 20's with no ghost heat, and have a swarm of locusts do my bidding. I just want to reliably leave my spawn and enjoy the modes objective, you know, the way the game was designed to work. if the only reasonable answer is:

a.) Join a dedicated group for all your FP drops

or

b.) Don't play/ Rush into the enemy arms / yell at noobs over the mic/ whatever else is used to borderline condone spawn camping and defend it...

Then I guess I'll have to QP from now on. ****, make all the spawns inaccessible except by jump jets. Is that too much to ask as well? I'm a bit bitter because even though FP isn't meant for the players new to the game (hence the in game warning), it shouldn't also be played in a way that it drives away experienced players who aren't looking to be in a dedicated group every time they play the mode. I love the FP model, the IS map and giving groups planet tags, moving the map with conflicts, seasons, etc. But if I am absolutely required to be in a dedicate group just to avoid being stomped, what makes anyone think players coming into the mode are going to want to stick around long enough to even join a group?

#293 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:17 PM

View PostCabanaboy, on 19 June 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

Hardly. I'm expecting not to be spawn camped in a match. No more, no less. I don't feel that is being selfish. I'm not asking for my mech to have triple armor, have 1 slot, 1 ton LBX 20's with no ghost heat, and have a swarm of locusts do my bidding. I just want to reliably leave my spawn and enjoy the modes objective, you know, the way the game was designed to work. if the only reasonable answer is:

a.) Join a dedicated group for all your FP drops

or

b.) Don't play/ Rush into the enemy arms / yell at noobs over the mic/ whatever else is used to borderline condone spawn camping and defend it...

Then I guess I'll have to QP from now on. ****, make all the spawns inaccessible except by jump jets. Is that too much to ask as well? I'm a bit bitter because even though FP isn't meant for the players new to the game (hence the in game warning), it shouldn't also be played in a way that it drives away experienced players who aren't looking to be in a dedicated group every time they play the mode. I love the FP model, the IS map and giving groups planet tags, moving the map with conflicts, seasons, etc. But if I am absolutely required to be in a dedicate group just to avoid being stomped, what makes anyone think players coming into the mode are going to want to stick around long enough to even join a group?

Look i totally understand your frustration.

I just can speak for myself and tell you that most of us had and have your experience. There are some mechanics to look over in this mode and if you can see, right at the moment we try to reach PGI's ears. We are doing this also for guys like you, please think about it.

Everybody want a bigger playerbase in FP, but it is no solution and not productive what you wrote here.

And FP will never be the 100 %-everybody-has-fun-always-space of MWO and know what? I dont want this too. There should be fruits hanging high in FP, thats the juicy feeling of good, hard earned wins.

So, i proposed several possiblities to you how to improve your very own experience. Rest is on you.

Edited by Bishop Six, 19 June 2018 - 02:18 PM.

#294 Fuerchtenichts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 280 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

Seriously, when your team got spawn camped your team simply did something terribly wrong. This supposes to happen only if teams with very different skill levels meet each other and frankly is avoidable.

Sadly, FP is not forgiving any errors you make.

Some basic tips:
A ) Never defend 50m in front of your drop zone in the first wave.
B ) Help your teammates when the enemy tries to farm a drop zone. (so do not hunt the locust with your lance at the other end of the map)
C ) Call spots for regrouping and don't engage the enemy one by one.

Edited by Fuerchtenichts, 19 June 2018 - 02:39 PM.

#295 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

View PostElizander, on 13 June 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

I enjoy it for the gameplay itself. I finished my grinding years ago, so the only thing keeping
me in the game is the gameplay itself. There's just a lot of things in CW that you will never see in QP, like full assault waves or coordinated builds. I find that a lot of fun, especially with a good unit. If you're in it for rewards and achievements, this game is pretty lacking.

#296 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

Camping is when you pitch a tent, make a little fire and cook some hot dogs in the woods. This is not something you should be doing in a combat zone. Don't hide in your spawn, that's not what it's there for. The enemy never camps a spawn, they merely advance as far as they can. I'd pay a 10% weight tax if I could launch from an enemy drop zone and take my mech into aerospace combat to strafe incoming dropships. But the game engine only lets me get so far.

I'll give you a bit of advice, 'W' is for the Win, 'S' is for surrender. Move up, engage the enemy. You've realized your drop zone is a resource, Excellent! Progress! Now, go defend it. Don't let the enemy in. If something has gone wrong, figure out what you could've done differently. What did the enemy do correctly? Heck, you could ask the opfor in all chat for help and dds are, they'll offer advice. We want better matches.

Learn. Adapt. Grow.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 20 June 2018 - 09:26 AM.

#297 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:08 PM

Yes, this game has always been a bit of a money grab. Real money prices for things have always been way too high, especially, camo specs, paint jobs, cockpit items, bolt-ons. It's just absolutely ridiculous. Those things should be 50 cents to a dollar. Just typing it out is making me angry yet again. Imagine, if those things were priced fairly how many colorful and creative mechs we would see, but noooo, everything is way overpriced and we are stuck in a see of green.

On top of that, the UI continues to be slow, over-complicated, slow, a lot of things are not explained well, (does TC work with gauss/UAC, just one of many many examples of things not fully explained), after 4 YEARS, they finally made it so you can save and load loadouts, 4 YEARS. You know they took so long to do it because they wanted people to have to have each mech they owned always ready for battle, to further nickle and dime players with extra engines, weapons, etc etc. Did I mention the UI is slow?

The skill tree is ANTI FUN. Bottom line. Nobody wants to sit their clicking for a cumulative amount of time of hours on skill nodes. It is not fun, it is confusing. It made me leave the game for almost a year when it came out last year. It is too big, it is too complex, and it gives the illusion of choice. Blizzard used to have a skill tree in WOW, but it was removed because it wasn't a choice, but merely an illusion of choice. There was a correct path to take, and if you didn't take that path, you were weakened. Just like in MWO. There are "correct" skill paths, and incorrect skill paths. This hurts the player experience.

but, there is another problem nobody talks about, the community is TOXIC. Ok, ok, it's not QUITE as toxic as League of legends, but I'll explain why toxicity in communities happens.

The more invested into a game, whether it be time, or money, the more angry people get over losing.

In league of legends, games can take 20 minutes to over an hour. When you lose a game that you have invested an hour of your time into, you get very angry. This is one reason why the league of legends community is so toxic. The time investment per game is very high.

MWO has a high investment as well, not quite as high as League of Legends, but pretty high. Between building a mech with the clunky UI, waiting for sometimes minutes for a game to start, picking a map and mode, spending up to 5 minutes walking to an enemy, (DHG Annihilator in Polar highlands, so fun) and then you get stomped? You get angry, you get toxic. On top of that, this game's grind is NEVER ENDING. You grind and grind and grind. In league of legends after investing approximately 100-200 hours, less with some boosters, you basically have everything you will ever need. As you play more you can unlock more characters, but there is an end to the grind. In MWO, the grind is really just infinite, and slow. Not to mention, in League of legends, when you buy a new character, you can rune him up right when you buy him and he will be 100% peak capability from the start. In MWO, you buy a new mech, and you have to spend hours and hours in a ****** mech to level it up.

but the bottom line is the community is NOT friendly to new players, but a big factor of that is how MWO has set up its game.

Edited by Mortalcoil, 20 June 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#298 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

View PostMortalcoil, on 20 June 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

but the bottom line is the community is NOT friendly to new players, but a big factor of that is how MWO has set up its game.

I and many others I know, respectfully disagree.

~Leone.

#299 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

View PostCabanaboy, on 19 June 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

Yes, and that DOES NOT change the fact that whine about LRM camping at spawn, but making spawn alot harder to access or stay inside is more community friendly than letting it be low hanging fruit, or giving the main objective up. What, in a dedicate 12 man, should the 12 man stay in the spawn just for fear of this? How does that make sense when the objective is the point of the game? ECm and AMS counters LRM.

The objective is part of the game. You also win by killing all of the mechs. And make more cbills in a game that has a heavy grind.

Also people like to shoot robots more than stationary targets for the most part.

#300 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:47 PM

View PostLeone, on 20 June 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

I and many others I know, respectfully disagree.

~Leone.

If you are referring to me saying "the community is not friendly to new players," I just want to point out I have been playing this game off an on for years, and I have been yelled at plenty of times for not being perfect. I have had death threats. I have been called many names. I have been shot at by my team mates. There are plenty of highly toxic players in this game.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users