So, Why Do New Players Quit?

467 replies to this topic

#301 Rustyhammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:35 PM

View PostMortalcoil, on 20 June 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

If you are referring to me saying "the community is not friendly to new players," I just want to point out I have been playing this game off an on for years, and I have been yelled at plenty of times for not being perfect. I have had death threats. I have been called many names. I have been shot at by my team mates. There are plenty of highly toxic players in this game.

For all the time I am playing this game not once I was yelled at or intentionally TKed.
If so many people are unhappy with your actions in the game to the extent they bother to yell or TK you, maybe you should look at your own behavior to find the reason they doing it? Remember, every match you have 23 other people playing with you and their game experience as much important as your own.

#302 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:52 PM

New players quit because there is a cool event in QP mode.

FP mode is very much populated and easy to get into anytime of the day when there is some sort of Event with cool prizes .

I am pretty sure this topic is a lil wee blown out of proportion . Sure there are players who cannot handle losing so vow never to touch FP mode again but that's a small group. If I had to guess the reason why FP mode has less gamers it's because of time . You could spend an hour trying to get into and do one FP match or 3 or 4 QP matches . Most of us don't have the time .

QP mode is no safer or more relaxing , you can get your butt handed to you in a few minutes too .

#303 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:03 AM

If you are referring to me saying "the community is not friendly to new players," I just want to point out I have been playing this game off an on for years, and I have been yelled at plenty of times for not being perfect. I have had death threats. I have been called many names. I have been shot at by my team mates. There are plenty of highly toxic players in this game.

Reality check time: There are plenty of highly toxic players in every game.
Whether the community is friendly depends on how significant that group is in size.
By and large,these behaviors are not common and far outnumbered by the exact opposite - players who are welcoming to newcomers, and try to give them useful advice.
That is why overall, MWO's community is new player friendly.

Edited by Horseman, 21 June 2018 - 01:57 AM.

#304 Il Gurzo ITA

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:12 AM

View PostMole, on 04 February 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

I started playing this game with three friends. I was the only one that stayed more than a couple of weeks. What turned both of my friends off was that building new 'mechs was not very intuitive. For a new player, building a good 'mech is a whole lot of trial and error and a steep learning curve. A steep learning curve is fine except for the fact that every time you realize your build is not working and need to experiment with something new, it costs you a damned fortune to refit your 'mech, which results in a lot of very unpleasant grinding in a very unpleasant build that you are stuck with until you can raise the funds to change it. I stuck around because I was able to quickly pick up what weapons were good and what weapons were bad, so I had less of a curve when it game to builds. One of my first ever realizations was that it was a pretty good idea to boat Medium Lasers. My friends, well, they kept wanting to use other weapon systems. One of them left because in the lore his favorite 'mech was the Catapult and he just could not make his LRMs work for him, then he spent a fortune getting a K2 and equipping it with 4 PPCs only to get slapped with ghost heat after spending all that money. My other friend picked up a Firestarter and attempted to use Flamers. This was back before Flamers were actually useful at all. They both quit out of frustration because they were in a constant state of grinding cash in a ****** build to rebuild their 'mech to a new experimental build that stood a pretty good chance of being ****** as well, thus leaving them stuck in such a situation.

Hello is the first post i write in a MWO forum. I'm italian and i started to play MWO some years ago. I started with the catapult k2 as his friend. I made less than 150 each game, my cousin abbandoned the game for this reason.. (he introduced me to MWO games). I started with a lot of cbills, but selling and upgrading my frustrating mech brought me to the bankrupt. I was stuck, so i opened 2 more accounts to have the initial 25millions of cbills and testing new mechs (Now i'm using only this). I switched to clan mechs (i think the game should advice to buy these for new players) and i started, finally, to make cbills with my Gargoyle-D that is powerful, resistant and fast, a good thing for a newby. IS engines (especially XL) and improvement cost to much. "Double heatsinks (1,5M! If you use cool shots is an eternity), ferrofibrous and artemis should cost only 1 time so much, than should cost less (at least half)". Because for new players or players that love make builds is a suffer create new build but haven't the money to improve it. For me as an "old player" this game hasn't much sense because in faction play is hard to find a match and when you find It, is a stomp that last 20 minutes . Moreover create a factionplay deck decent is a very long process but i haven't lost the hope. My clan prefer make group in quick play but is the same slaughter. So i think is better playing lone in QP because is more rewarding... When i started to play MWO i bought a joystick because i loved mechwarrior 4 where the mechs could be played in 3rd view and you can saw your components blow of. In MWO, play 3rd view is impossible (also with the auto aim) probable with a 3rd view Arena with joystick as the realistic mode of other games could be interesting. The lack of new ideas, modes or new game modality is the game lack, the lack of immersion, the expectation of the new players from the beginning that aren't satisfied and PGI keep chance mechs, maps, weapons sometimes (very good work) but the essence of the game don't change (for essence i mean the things that make players play, something new which allow old players invite new players and play with them). I'm playing this game often at the moment, i like it, especially create new mechs builds, but i feel a lack of something when i play this game. At the end i think MW5 grafic is nice and more realistic, instead MWO is ok, but looks old compared with new games, should be improved...

Edited by Il Gurzo ITA, 21 June 2018 - 02:46 AM.

#305 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

Wow. Many I have, between main and alt accounts, about 18,000 matches. Probably not including FW, so maybe 20,000.

I've been intentionally TKed by someone in QP who was just there to TK teammates maybe 4 or 5 times. I've been called names maybe as many times, probably less. I've never had a death threat. I don't even know anyone who's been in that circumstance.

I would say your experience is atypical.

#306 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:00 PM

You mean the community that reaches out here and other places with TS addresses and offers to teach people? The community that actually has created Youtube videos (some more helpful than others granted) dedicated to helping people learn the game? I could go on but I think I made my point in that regard.

I have spent years playing this game and most of it in CW. I too have been on the receiving end of threats but by the opposition and that guy is gone now. Those things are pretty rare and PGI doesn't mess about when they happen.

As well 99.9% of the yelling I have heard going on in CW consists of "don't reinforce" in various colloquial sometimes pejorative terms.

So from where I sit you are wrong. The community is very open and helpful to new players who are interested in learning or playing the mode as intended, by being part of a team. The community does however have little patience for quick play type players who want to do their own thing. Some may shoot you (report them), most will just try and do their best with what they have.

Remember community goes both ways. If you want to be a part of a community, it is up to you to figure out how to fit into that community.

#307 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:42 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 21 June 2018 - 06:22 PM, said:

who is draochts??

The thought police.

#308 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

View PostJohnathan Tanner, on 21 June 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

The thought police.

Incoming perma ban from forums....

#309 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:11 PM

View PostS O L A I S, on 21 June 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

You mean the community that reaches out here and other places with TS addresses and offers to teach people? The community that actually has created Youtube videos (some more helpful than others granted) dedicated to helping people learn the game? I could go on but I think I made my point in that regard.

I have spent years playing this game and most of it in CW. I too have been on the receiving end of threats but by the opposition and that guy is gone now. Those things are pretty rare and PGI doesn't mess about when they happen.

As well 99.9% of the yelling I have heard going on in CW consists of "don't reinforce" in various colloquial sometimes pejorative terms.

So from where I sit you are wrong. The community is very open and helpful to new players who are interested in learning or playing the mode as intended, by being part of a team. The community does however have little patience for quick play type players who want to do their own thing. Some may shoot you (report them), most will just try and do their best with what they have.

Remember community goes both ways. If you want to be a part of a community, it is up to you to figure out how to fit into that community.

Yes, by and large the community is great, but there are quite a few bad apples, especially late at night. I don't know if you play around 2 AM EST at times, but I have noticed late at night some real ******** come out.

#310 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:57 PM

Well, let us be honest here. Loads of people played MW4 and MW3. When they first come to this game they expect that. Instead, they found out the hard way that bracket builds are useless, rookies do not try to argue this point. So the chances of a new player finding a good unit to teach them this are slim to none, as its doubtful they will go looking.

Moving on to problem two. Omni mechs are highly restricted to customization, and battlemechs are highly customized. Now Ive read the lore and honest I do not know which one is more accurate. As in MW4 all mechs were able to be customized. So if they go IS, that is a huge info bomb dropped on them, that will take time to sort out. As others have pointed out quite expensive. This being said despite the haters claiming its not true, learning heat, and proper throttle control on clan mechs can be very difficult. As natural tendencies have people flying at full throttle all the time, and people naturally want to keep firing.

Problem number three rewards from matches just is a joke. I am not saying this needs to change, because I am completely against making this game super easy. If you stick to your career path it can be quite rewarding. Experimentation in this game is very expensive. It's a interesting problem, that to be honest only the devs can solve, as they have the numbers.

Problem number four, the young person's syndrome, new players see LRMS and go for it like a pit bull. I have heard the original range for LRMS was 500 meters. I do not know if that is true. If it was, its something that should be brought back. Giving players a weapon that does not force them to learn the game is not a good idea.

Boil it all together. I think the biggest item that could help new players get into fp, and stay. Is a feature that helps them find the right unit, and helps units to find them. Also a cattle prod like mission they have to complete in the academy before they can do a match, that strongly suggest they find a unit via this feature would be a good idea. The rest of it is developers adjusting the game as they see fit. The thoughts of one player.

#311 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:32 PM

View PostJohnathan Tanner, on 21 June 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

The thought police.

Reported

#312 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

View PostMortalcoil, on 23 June 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

Yes, by and large the community is great, but there are quite a few bad apples, especially late at night. I don't know if you play around 2 AM EST at times, but I have noticed late at night some real ******** come out.

You mean like when the bars close? Yeah the drunken mechwarrior effect is real at those times.

#313 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:20 AM

I think, it's because it's hard to get in to the game where there's players fighting enemies of equal skills, it's mostly veterans bashing new recruits. Or at least that's what i just think, especially when i am one of the people that enjoy bashing witless noobs.

#314 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

Im a noob, and just getting back into the game after a hiatus; And I would tend to agree with Lances107, FP is fun, But Managing your drop deck with only 1-2 mechs is troubling, complicated, and not every well explained. The unit that picked me up before preferred discord for comms, and I prefer the TS experience. I bought my 2nd mech based off their recommendation, learned a bit, and played a bunch of scouting drops, but Ultimately kept finding myself wanting to do something else, wanting to pilot my timberwolf that I worked so hard to purchase... and missing the my immersion from TS with radioFX and mic clicks. So I backed off playing when them, and then life happened in general keeping from the game. I just started playing again last week, but was sad when I tried to get into a FP and realized I needed to be in a unit to drop (im guessing they dropped me from the unit when I didnt log back in for some time, again, I fully understand). I'm not the best player, and at the end of the day, MWO is a game I enjoy playing in my spare time, but the grind is long without spending REAL money. I'ed rather buy a full game for $60 rather than spend the same for only 3 mechs. Mirco Transactions are killing ALL games these days IMO, but I get it, especially with a F2P title. For now, I'll just keep QP dropping and just have some fun until I meet some people I enjoy playing with. Ultimately, I have a lot to learn, WAY too much to even think about being competitive at this time. I'ed love a mentor though! Posted Image

Edited by JustDave11517, 25 June 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#315 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:37 PM

View PostJustDave11517, on 25 June 2018 - 11:54 AM, said:

Im a noob, and just getting back into the game after a hiatus; And I would tend to agree with Lances107, FP is fun, But Managing your drop deck with only 1-2 mechs is troubling, complicated, and not every well explained. The unit that picked me up before preferred discord for comms, and I prefer the TS experience. I bought my 2nd mech based off their recommendation, learned a bit, and played a bunch of scouting drops, but Ultimately kept finding myself wanting to do something else, wanting to pilot my timberwolf that I worked so hard to purchase... and missing the my immersion from TS with radioFX and mic clicks. So I backed off playing when them, and then life happened in general keeping from the game. I just started playing again last week, but was sad when I tried to get into a FP and realized I needed to be in a unit to drop (im guessing they dropped me from the unit when I didnt log back in for some time, again, I fully understand). I'm not the best player, and at the end of the day, MWO is a game I enjoy playing in my spare time, but the grind is long without spending REAL money. I'ed rather buy a full game for $60 rather than spend the same for only 3 mechs. Mirco Transactions are killing ALL games these days IMO, but I get it, especially with a F2P title. For now, I'll just keep QP dropping and just have some fun until I meet some people I enjoy playing with. Ultimately, I have a lot to learn, WAY too much to even think about being competitive at this time. I'ed love a mentor though! Posted Image
justcallme A S H does some mentoring for FP: https://mwomercs.com...-play-training/

#316 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:02 AM

New players quit cause they are.....
wussies who cannot handle the pressure of losing ,
who ignored the warning sign
got tempted to try their luck in their substandard mechs , because of the slim chance of big payout .

and of course its everyones fault except their own .

Edited by DarkFhoenix, 26 June 2018 - 12:05 AM.

#317 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:39 AM

View PostLances107, on 23 June 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

Problem number four, the young person's syndrome, new players see LRMS and go for it like a pit bull. I have heard the original range for LRMS was 500 meters. I do not know if that is true. If it was, its something that should be brought back. Giving players a weapon that does not force them to learn the game is not a good idea.

All ranges are doubled and the dps of the weapons were also increased.
If you want real tt numbers, a ac20 would have 2dps, a ac2 0.2 dps.

#318 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

new players quit for three reasons:

1) start at a huge disadvantage compared to established players (lack of tutorials, dont start with 91 skill points, cadet bonus at 8 million is largely insufficient to get started, etc...)

2) cant play with friends without getting thrown into group queue which is miserable for new players

3) no dinosaurs

#319 WarGanisM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

I've played since Beta, and if new players duo up and group queue, and their experience is anything like mine, its absolutely aweful.

I play Solo Quick Play most of the time, and I Win some, Lose some, overall a fun experience. However I Duo with any of my friends (specifically in a duo), and we lose continuously, sometimes evenings on end, with maybe only 1-2 win to our name. Have people D/C on our team, we lose out numbered. Multiples D/C on enemy team, our team still gets destroyed. Load into a match and have almost a full clan on the opposing side, and rofl stomp our faces in. Alternatively load in with a big clan on our side, and then get destroyed by an entire side of mixed randoms. Play games and the match maker in all its wisdom allocates 2 assaults to our team, while it gives the enemy 5 assaults.

This is not fun, and it's always when I, or a friend decide to tag up, this happens. If I play alone, I enjoy myself and do well, same for my friends. Soon as we tag, its like the Matchmaking/Queue hates us. It's not like we don't try to work together either.

At current I feel the Solo and Group Queue experience is so vastly different, that if New players intend to take/try the Group experience, I fear that will put anyone off.

Edited by WarGanisM, 27 June 2018 - 05:53 AM.

#320 Fuerchtenichts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 280 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:19 AM

View PostKhobai, on 26 June 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

new players quit for three reasons:

1) start at a huge disadvantage compared to established players (lack of tutorials, dont start with 91 skill points, cadet bonus at 8 million is largely insufficient to get started, etc...)

I just took a look at three of my current CLAN Drop Decks. These are the CBIll costs you would have to pay for these mechs in this configs (Selling costs * 2):

Laser Vomit : 47.253.466
Dakka : 40.219.894
Long Range : 39.746.438

(all mechs fully skilled)

Perhaps someone can add some IS figures to make them comparable for newbies ?

Edited by Fuerchtenichts, 27 June 2018 - 02:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users