467 replies to this topic

#321 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostHorseman, on 25 June 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

justcallme A S H does some mentoring for FP: https://mwomercs.com...-play-training/

I'll look into this for sure! Thanks! Hopefully it's still going on. Thread says "TBD"

Edited by JustDave11517, 27 June 2018 - 04:05 PM.

#322 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:21 PM

View PostWarGanisM, on 26 June 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

I've played since Beta, and if new players duo up and group queue, and their experience is anything like mine, its absolutely aweful.

While I sympathize with the new players that group up with other new players to do drops, oh good god do they ruin the game for the team that gets them. There's nothing worse than dropping in group queue and seeing 4-5 obviously new players in a group using all mediums / lights, knowing that you are going to have to carry all of them because they are basically useless. Same with faction play, the team that gets stuck with a group of newbies clinging to each other for safety is going to lose.

#323 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 27 June 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

While I sympathize with the new players that group up with other new players to do drops, oh good god do they ruin the game for the team that gets them. There's nothing worse than dropping in group queue and seeing 4-5 obviously new players in a group using all mediums / lights, knowing that you are going to have to carry all of them because they are basically useless. Same with faction play, the team that gets stuck with a group of newbies clinging to each other for safety is going to lose.

I don't.

For one, I am a bad person.

For two, it is just how it is with a niche game with low pop.

There are lots of things that would be nice. Like when at work I'd love to get all my buddies to come work at the same company! Be great wouldn't it, working with a bunch of guys you like and getting paid. Get rid of everyone who annoys me and fill their position with my buddies.

Life just isn't like that and it's time to stop feeling bad for people who can't accept the situation for what it is.

#324 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:04 PM

View PostJustDave11517, on 27 June 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

I'll look into this for sure! Thanks! Hopefully it's still going on. Thread says "TBD"

Yes I don't have a time for the next training sessions or whatever.

I wasn't going to play in the MWO World Champs but an opportunity has potentially come up that I would be a fool to ignore.

So spending 2-3 times a week training for that is kinda the focus for the next 3 months for me and unfortunately that means not playing/training the new guys as the other times I am on (streaming etc) I'm just chilling / having some fun rather than the other side of it.

That said if I am streaming / playing Faction Play - people are welcome to join in, I always open the invite out to people etc. That's probably the only way to get it right now... Other than of course reading the thread and taking in all the amazing advice contained within in it.

#325 Anubus15

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 27 June 2018 - 11:04 PM, said:

Yes I don't have a time for the next training sessions or whatever.

I wasn't going to play in the MWO World Champs but an opportunity has potentially come up that I would be a fool to ignore.

So spending 2-3 times a week training for that is kinda the focus for the next 3 months for me and unfortunately that means not playing/training the new guys as the other times I am on (streaming etc) I'm just chilling / having some fun rather than the other side of it.

That said if I am streaming / playing Faction Play - people are welcome to join in, I always open the invite out to people etc. That's probably the only way to get it right now... Other than of course reading the thread and taking in all the amazing advice contained within in it.

Thanks for the reply here.
I tried to shoot you a PM here on the forum but it wouldnt let me. Glad you are still around, and still offering, but I dont want to mess up your training for World Champs or anything. I can wait! Thanks!

#326 SiDream

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:04 PM

Coming from a new (only a couple months old) player...

I come from EVE, and have 15+yrs invested there, I know it's not the same game, but certain things still apply.

When a new player comes to the game, they have the basic tutorial which is defined enough to move your mech on the field, but after that you're left with your garage and no way of communicating with anyone until you hit the qp button. I looked around on the forums for info, but unless it was in the FP section, or a new mech most stuff was kind of dated. I acquired most of my info on mechs from in match conversations. In fact, I made my first purchase mech of the Hellbringer off the suggestion from both sides in a match lol.

I'm a fan of the mech universe's, so I have reason to stay. However, it is difficult to come to a game and be isolated from others to learn, ask questions, and to grow. I was very fortunate to have met some guys from LOIQ who gave me some great pointers, but that was because I actively hound friends after a match is over.

Joining a clan is also a feat in itself, most of the people I've talked to are in dead (inactive) clans/units. To join any of them, you have to dig into the forums to get to the right area, and then make a wild guess which side to join. If you ask in a match, I've been told repeatedly "Go look on the forums" ... "Don't recruit here" ... "Clans are useless"

So, I would say... lack of community or communication is a huge turn off for a lot of people, even if it's the ability to see trolls hunting for victims. Funny thing is, I jump on my Corp's mumble in EVE and listen to them while I play just to have something other than the pewpew of lasers or the the sound of my UAC's reverberations in my ears.

#327 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostSiDream, on 30 June 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

Coming from a new (only a couple months old) player...

I come from EVE, and have 15+yrs invested there, I know it's not the same game, but certain things still apply.

When a new player comes to the game, they have the basic tutorial which is defined enough to move your mech on the field, but after that you're left with your garage and no way of communicating with anyone until you hit the qp button. I looked around on the forums for info, but unless it was in the FP section, or a new mech most stuff was kind of dated. I acquired most of my info on mechs from in match conversations. In fact, I made my first purchase mech of the Hellbringer off the suggestion from both sides in a match lol.

I'm a fan of the mech universe's, so I have reason to stay. However, it is difficult to come to a game and be isolated from others to learn, ask questions, and to grow. I was very fortunate to have met some guys from LOIQ who gave me some great pointers, but that was because I actively hound friends after a match is over.

Joining a clan is also a feat in itself, most of the people I've talked to are in dead (inactive) clans/units. To join any of them, you have to dig into the forums to get to the right area, and then make a wild guess which side to join. If you ask in a match, I've been told repeatedly "Go look on the forums" ... "Don't recruit here" ... "Clans are useless"

So, I would say... lack of community or communication is a huge turn off for a lot of people, even if it's the ability to see trolls hunting for victims. Funny thing is, I jump on my Corp's mumble in EVE and listen to them while I play just to have something other than the pewpew of lasers or the the sound of my UAC's reverberations in my ears.

At one time like a year ago there were tons of healthy, growing units. In fact it was a complaint that some units were too big - PGI added punishing recruitment costs to try and force big units to slim down. This backfired and started a long downward slide.

However we had thousands of players in huge active units constantly finding, helping and training new players.

Then PGI decided to make factions irrelevant in FW with the 1 Bukkit change. That was the bullet in the head for all these units and they left. Now the whole player created ecology we created and maintained to help people is dead because PGI actively destroyed everything that made those people play.

It's unfortunate. We created a good process to help the NPE but people in small groups complained that groups who were better at it "were not fair" and big groups got punished and encouraged not to help new players and let the people who were not actually doing it do it I guess? That failes. Then as the population started to decline because of bad choices PGI made they "fixed" that by destroying the only reason those NPE creating teams played.

It's not that PGI shot the population and NPE in the foot it's that they pinned it down, emptied a clip in its head, reloaded and did it again for good measure. Now they just want to pretend none of it happened or even existed and oh gosh no idea it's just the cycle of game populations I guess.

Edited by MischiefSC, 30 June 2018 - 03:08 PM.

#328 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:39 PM

Well said. PGI did everyhing possible to kill FW or groups

#329 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:29 AM

And they show no reaction...like a dead corpse.

GG PGI

#330 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:28 AM

Press F to pay respect...

#331 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

View PostKhobai, on 26 June 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

new players quit for three reasons:

1) start at a huge disadvantage compared to established players (lack of tutorials, dont start with 91 skill points, cadet bonus at 8 million is largely insufficient to get started, etc...)

2) cant play with friends without getting thrown into group queue which is miserable for new players

3) no dinosaurs

#. Dinosaurs !!!!

It would be so awesome if 8 - 12 players could CO OP to kill one giant alien dinosaur or some such . I know this is a human focused future but 1000 plus colonized planets yet the biggest monster is a 15 meter giant robot ? We might as well all be on planet Terra .

#332 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:43 AM

View PostBlack Ivan, on 01 July 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

Well said. PGI did everyhing possible to kill FW or groups

Some of us are too damn stubborn to die..

#333 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:04 AM

View PostCataphractos, on 15 February 2018 - 04:45 AM, said:

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions that I need better hardware. That's not the point. This is a game from 2012 -- you know, back when everybody was hyped about Mayans and some guy in Joker cos-play was shooting up theaters? -- with all the game settings dialed back to their minimum values. It's running on a computer built in 2015, which more than meets the stated spec requirements. And it's still crashing. That's the fault of the software engineers, not the players.

This is bad for player retention. I, for one, am not about to go through all the hassle and expense of upgrading my computer, or possibly buying a whole new computer, just for the sake of an F2P game which -- once my current temp-work dry spell ends -- I probably won't even be playing every day. My nostalgia just ain't that strong. It won't be that strong for most players. And that's going to cut back on the number of new players who stick around.

When was the last time you did a full system clean up? Most times, considering that your system is at/above min spec, crashes are from an infected system, lack of maintenance, and related issues.

As a former computer store owner, if I had a dime for every customer who came in with 'broken' crap, insisting that in no way, shape, or form, did they get infected with virii/malware/rootkits, I'd be a millionaire.

If you're not at least checking your system out every 60-90 days, you're doing it wrong.

So, the guy who walked in insisting no spyware, ran a then GREAT tool (dunno about present day) Spybot. Ran 30 seconds and exploded with bad reports. Told the guy come back tomorrow.

Insist all you want, I bet I can fin some shite on most machines.

Then, there's the ages old yet often unused Scan Disk, and defrag. Uninstall a game from modern day, you just made a 40 gig hole in your data. Have a sudden power outtage, good chance you got a dinged sector on that HDD......

If people aren't crashing on the same crap you have, then look inward.

#334 fenomeno

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:22 PM

View PostOnnimanni, on 16 July 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

Hmm, dunno. 1000 games in and reaching Tier 2. Seeing the same ******** MM I saw in WoT when F2P game companies have to make money by forcing a 50/50 win ratio no matter what. For the players who've played a shitton of F2P games and can recognize the pattern when they see it...

Genuinely interested - was there ever any proof of this 'forced 50% win rate' in WoT (or in MWO, for that matter)?

#335 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:57 PM

Why do noobs quit?

The near vertical learning curve combined with the OMG grind. Too many mechs are worthless without all 91 skill points. It’s always been like that. But the skill tree made it worse. It takes much longer for me to grind up one mech than it did to grind three under the old system.

#336 Maltduck

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

well its like this I play mw1 mw2 mw3 mw4 and so on and what happened to this it got taken over buy greed is all in the old days mw3 BK was the best game they ever had the then got the greed bug and I see they still got it big time and after all u get in and u a noob and u spent 20 bucks or so and u don't stand a chance couse u don't have the exp or skillz or the mecks the the others the got the money skillz and mecks that's why it dieing if they just sale the game for 49 bucks and have addon,s like the did for clan pack and inner spher packs but know they got to be greedy

#337 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:14 PM

View PostMaltduck, on 07 August 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

u get in and u a noob and u spent 20 bucks or so and u don't stand a chance couse u don't have the exp or skillz or the mecks the the others the got the money skillz and mecks that's why it dieing

Has it occurred to you that skill and experience are something you acquire over time? There are no shortcuts to that.

The new player bonus and the rewards from running tutorials and initial achievements enable everyone to get their first mech, there are periodic giveaways and event rewards as well. However, you could have every single damn mech in the game and it would not compensate for skill and experience.

#338 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:59 AM

I'm interested in seeing how many new players MWO has every month and on average, how long they stay in the game.

#339 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:19 AM

Why do new players leave FW . . . probably because some units still insist on the "win at all costs" approach or "we are winning and could finish the match comfortably, but lets farm the c@pzoids out of the pugs".

No matter what coding changes are implemented, what bias or breakdown of pre-made drop sizes are put in place, the final responsibility falls to the players themselves. Looking in the prior postings, there is an experienced player stating they hate newbies in their drop and yet earlier on, the same person is moaning about lack of new blood . . . the perfect example of what is really wrong with MWO at the moment, players not willing to look at their own play styles and the impact it has on the community as a whole. (No I am not naming names, go have a look through the 17 pages of posting for yourself).

The current batch of events has been a great way to entice new players into FW seal clubbing, farming or helping them "git gud" isn't the best way to keep them and make what ought to be the backbone of MWO, work.

#340 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:38 AM

im Thinking this person mean new Players with experience in Gaming Posted Image not news thats never befor use a Mouse or not interesting to learn Weaponranges or Tactical Awarness ...the "im take the biggest mech and hope has Autowin"and Troll players will nothing Teamplay or players thats thinking to join the FW in trial Mechs...the base in mWO now more terrible as in Robocraft ...from all the technical problems not to read ...bad when from 12 have 3 DCs

and give balanced IS/IS clan/Clan fights for Balancing
bind great Units to the Planets thats hes holding for a timespan (1 Month ) and only 4 man groups from the Unit can max explore furter in FW
Give Planet single contracts for Single Player in T5-1 ...planet Z wanted you T4 for Defense/attack

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 24 August 2018 - 11:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users