So, Why Do New Players Quit?

467 replies to this topic

#361 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:42 AM

How do new players find out that this game exist?

#362 KansaKittan

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:01 AM

I just played a Faction Play game against a team that had LRM boats on Polar, I died twice without firing a shot, I had an ecm, but wasn't prepared for how co-ordinated the enemy team were, the only opponent I saw was the light mech that was narcing for them, it took about 20 minutes to que for that game, and it was over in 5 minutes, I've been playing the game for about 2 weeks and I'm not sure what the point of that game was since it didn't feel like I even got to participate.

Edited by KansaKittan, 26 August 2018 - 06:02 AM.

#363 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:41 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 26 August 2018 - 04:23 AM, said:

Yes PGI has his own Holy Bishop Posted Image you bring all the Positives and positives bring nothing evolution, and who White it must give black ...You one of the Last true white Knights Posted Image ...im lay only all 4-6 Months ,its enough for this beta Game.And no ..MWLL was not my Game ...Keyboard to overloaded and the Configuration a Hell and with Aerospacefighters Mechs only Canonfooder ..my Game war MW4 in League Play for over ten Years

Then go to the MW4 Forum.

Nobody still want to hear your opinion how everything is bad in MWO. This toxic atmosphere pulls down the general mood and i am at the point where i find your comments more than annoying.

#364 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:02 AM

View PostChados, on 26 August 2018 - 05:00 AM, said:

I find FW mostly is about getting power-focused down by seven enemy mechs spawn camping your drop zone as soon as your drop into a match, four times.
"As soon as you drop into a match" is an exaggeration. The enemy team first has to cross the entire map and establish firing positions without being stopped by your team.

Cooperative PvE.
(..)
If you all want FW to prosper, PGI is going to need to get some AI that’s workable and get some PvE experience into the game. It’s going to need some lore and story and a reason to fight, and a hook to keep players that aren’t up for a harder deathmatch in the fight. That simple.
Unfortunately, as far as Paul told us AI opponents are not remotely an option. I guess there could be an argument made for a base attack mode where you fight turrets and dropships, but that would get very old, very fast.

View PostKansaKittan, on 26 August 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

I just played a Faction Play game against a team that had LRM boats on Polar, I died twice without firing a shot, I had an ecm, but wasn't prepared for how co-ordinated the enemy team were, the only opponent I saw was the light mech that was narcing for them, it took about 20 minutes to que for that game, and it was over in 5 minutes, I've been playing the game for about 2 weeks and I'm not sure what the point of that game was since it didn't feel like I even got to participate.
ERLLs outrange LRMs, and if your team went with several ECMs - and as much AMS as they could get - you'd have some effective mitigation of enemy's ability to acquire locks to begin with.

Edited by Horseman, 26 August 2018 - 08:03 AM.

#365 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

View PostHorseman, on 26 August 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

"
Unfortunately, as far as Paul told us AI opponents are not remotely an option. I guess there could be an argument made for a base attack mode where you fight turrets and dropships, but that would get very old, very fast.

And this bodes ill for MW5, doesn’t it? Well, as the Sixth Army said at Stalingrad, “the Führer must know what he’s doing.”

Edited by Chados, 26 August 2018 - 09:24 AM.

#366 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

View PostChados, on 26 August 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

And this bodes ill for MW5, doesn’t it? Well, as the Sixth Army said at Stalingrad, “the Führer must know what he’s doing.”
No. It tells us that for whatever reason (different mechanics perhaps?) MW5 AI cannot be applied to MWO.

#367 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 August 2018 - 12:43 PM

View PostChados, on 26 August 2018 - 05:00 AM, said:

Oddly, the same team that will roll you 48-29 in FW will be a team you can whip 12-6 in a QP match on the same map and why that is I have no clue. I think it has to do with the way FW works, you reinforce at different rates, it’s harder to reverse a deficit, you have mix tech as a team can drop both Clan and IS mechs, and QP doesn’t have spawn camping.

Well, Quick play doesn't have a spawn you need to defend. That's one thing I often note Quickplay players failing to think of when entering CW. The spawn point is your biggest resource. It gives you new mechs, but they'll oft ignore that and try to flank or evade a push, leaving their spawn open. Probably the team disparity thing is more of a heavier mech bias towards the initial engagement in CW as opposed to a more well rounded or lighter mech focus in group queue. CW puts a heavy emphasis on the first engagement so CW players tend to drop heavy and/or slow at first. It's a different playstyle than medium skirmish.

Personally, I'm hoping I can get my 'ole Saturday Lan party back into Mechwarrior when 5 hits.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 26 August 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#368 Merle

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

I posted in this thread a handful of months ago, shared some feedback as a new player that just started in December, and reading many of the continued responses has been eye-opening. I'd like start by saying "thank you" to the maybe 30% to 40% or so that posted constructive information in this thread. I'd also like to thank so many of the others for reminding me of the toxicity of multiplayer games, and how hilariously self-entitled so many of you are. In case folks weren't aware, "I'm bored so this sux" or "I've played for years" does not mean your opinions are worth anything.

If anyone at PGI reads this, thank you for continuing with your free game that I still enjoy. Time to stop following this thread.

#369 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:10 PM

View PostBishop Six, on 26 August 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

Then go to the MW4 Forum.

Nobody still want to hear your opinion how everything is bad in MWO. This toxic atmosphere pulls down the general mood and i am at the point where i find your comments more than annoying.

Calm down my Friend and live with it ,thats the reality is not all good and all Bad ..PGI has make not all bad ..has bring the unseen back, not make P2W ...only as Gamecompany she have less experience and not a good Hand.Not feeding hopless Ideas and unrealistic Dreams ...the Game not really come to a other Status ..Pve Elements never come or great Logistic or Strategic Elements or more as 1-2 Maps each Year ...only Mechpacks and Weapon balance Nerf/Buffs ...hope only thats newer Gamemodes better implented as before (seeing VIP)...or Little cosmetic Fixes
Only reading positives give it in dictatorships and sects

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 26 August 2018 - 08:43 PM.

#370 theUgly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:49 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 26 August 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

Calm down my Friend and live with it ,thats the reality is not all good and all Bad ..PGI has make not all bad ..has bring the unseen back, not make P2W ...only as Gamecompany she have less experience and not a good Hand.Not feeding hopless Ideas and unrealistic Dreams ...the Game not really come to a other Status ..Pve Elements never come or great Logistic or Strategic Elements or more as 1-2 Maps each Year ...only Mechpacks and Weapon balance Nerf/Buffs ...hope only thats newer Gamemodes better implented as before (seeing VIP)...or Little cosmetic Fixes
Only reading positives give it in dictatorships and sects

Man.. you are typing absolute gibberish.
Am illiterate to , therefore i do use the google translator.

#371 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:15 AM

They quit because MWO reminds them of all the nice mechs and things they cannot get in life because no time or money .

Because they fell for that , " Work hard get job , marry and have 2.4 children " propaganda .

#372 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

8- and 12-player pre-mades is a large part of what drive new players away. Especially because these are the players that aren't going to stop after events, so while the regular players get their events done and leave, anyone who comes late ends up repeatedly in matches with 9- or 12-player, coordinated meta drops against 12 solos and they get to spend 10 minutes being spawn camped. It's not fun.

Simplest solution: no more than (x) players can be in a group on any given team. Total. Using an example with x=6: if you have a 4-player group on a team, that team can only have one more group of two players, and the rest have to be solos. Likewise, you can have two groups of three, or three groups of two on a team.

Also, the number of grouped players on one team at least has to match the number on the other, plus or minus one. It doesn't have to be the exact compostion, but if one team has two three-player groups, the other one needs 5 or 6 group players.

This obviously doesn't solve all of FPs issues, but it at least mitigates one of the most frustrating parts.

#373 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

View PostSable Dove, on 27 August 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

8- and 12-player pre-mades is a large part of what drive new players away. Especially because these are the players that aren't going to stop after events, so while the regular players get their events done and leave, anyone who comes late ends up repeatedly in matches with 9- or 12-player, coordinated meta drops against 12 solos and they get to spend 10 minutes being spawn camped. It's not fun.

Simplest solution: no more than (x) players can be in a group on any given team. Total. Using an example with x=6: if you have a 4-player group on a team, that team can only have one more group of two players, and the rest have to be solos. Likewise, you can have two groups of three, or three groups of two on a team.

Also, the number of grouped players on one team at least has to match the number on the other, plus or minus one. It doesn't have to be the exact compostion, but if one team has two three-player groups, the other one needs 5 or 6 group players.

This obviously doesn't solve all of FPs issues, but it at least mitigates one of the most frustrating parts.

No it doesn't. It makes it frustrating for groups instead. The mode is meant for groups.

Eliminate all pug teams instead. Make pugs pure filler only and a team must have at least a group of two or three.

That makes more sense.

#374 Vozw

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:46 PM

I got into the game by the skin of my teeth, years ago, spending hours and hours poring over what out-of-game resources I could find. I quit repeatedly and the only thing that kept me going was my love for the tabletop. If not for the existence of Metamechs meaning I at least knew what was decent and that I wasn't getting stomped by lack of knowlege, I doubt I would have made it long enough to wise up to the idea that people used Teamspeak rather than VOIP and start asking each lobby for Teamspeak invites until some groups finally let me in so I could start coordinating with them.

Now, Metamechs is more-or-less gone as a resource, yet remains prominent in Google searches (I weep for its loss). The subreddit has no link in the sidebar to a tier list, let alone a new player guide. Initial attempts to search for the meta get ancient forum posts.

"But Vozw, there are a ton of meta resources we put a lot of effort into, they're right there"
Awesome; I'd greatly recommend getting them into a megathread on the subreddit and putting a link in the sidebar. Maybe also in a resources tab in the Discord. The initial energy needed to get into this game is immense, and every bit helps; a new player heading to the subreddit for guidance and seeing a resource link point to denAirwalkerrr's build list in the sidebar could make the difference. It's a small thing compared to most of the stuff discussed in this thread, but it can help.

On PGI's end, actual real MMR that's not an experience bar would help, and right now it's impossible for me to bring a friend into the game due to us wanting to play together but group queue being punishing.

Edited by Vozw, 28 August 2018 - 12:05 AM.

#375 Nodwick81

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:19 AM

View PostSable Dove, on 27 August 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

View PostS O L A I S, on 27 August 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

No it doesn't. It makes it frustrating for groups instead. The mode is meant for groups.

Both are true. It's **** for pugs to be stomped by premades and it's **** for the premades to play against subpar pug teams.

Pugs and premades should not be matched together. At all. Not even as a filler. That would greatly reduce frustration.

#376 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:12 AM

Please stop punish team players in a team game.

What PGI could do is make 2 really seperate ques, one who is for smaller to larger groups. One only for Solos with or without unit. They should not repeat the inherent failure from last time

On the other hand this would mean that CW would need some sort of MM and actually attract players to it, which would mean work invested by PGI, which I highly doubt will happen to the extend it is actually needed

#377 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:11 AM

According to the other thread, a matchmaker is going to happen.

I don’t think it’ll help. The problem with FP isn’t going to be fixed by matchmaking because the population is too small, that’s why they consolidated the FP queues in the first place. The original phase 3 implementation HAD separate pug queues and they were a desert because...FP isn’t fun. Until they make it FUN FOR THE MEDIAN PLAYER, who isn’t a high end dedicated unit player spending four hours a day practicing coordinated tactics behind a state of the art machine, and who looks more like the basic quickplay pug, FP, like Solaris, will forever be a ghost town.

How to do it? PvE with a decent AI, as a part of a player driven economy and political world similar to Kesmai’s old Multiplayer Online Battletech. Which Paul has ruled out entirely in favor of Solaris-style bandaid fixes. So, they will continue to spin their wheels on changes that won’t increase the player count beyond events here and there which will be “PuGSMASH” for the premades til the pugs get their event rewards, then back to crickets chirping til the next event.

#378 Nodwick81

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:48 AM

View PostChados, on 28 August 2018 - 03:11 AM, said:

I don’t think it’ll help. The problem with FP isn’t going to be fixed by matchmaking because the population is too small, that’s why they consolidated the FP queues in the first place. The original phase 3 implementation HAD separate pug queues and they were a desert because...FP isn’t fun. Until they make it FUN FOR THE MEDIAN PLAYER, who isn’t a high end dedicated unit player spending four hours a day practicing coordinated tactics behind a state of the art machine, and who looks more like the basic quickplay pug, FP, like Solaris, will forever be a ghost town.

FW will never be interesting for the median player. It is, like most forms of organized play, only ever interesting for a small minority of players. And that's fine! The main problem is that, if the playerbase for MWO stays relatively small, that small minority is just not enough players to keep FW alive.

#379 theUgly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:46 PM

They quit before they know what they are playing.
The reason is irrelevant.

#380 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:13 PM

Frankly I'm a lot more concerned about why old players quit

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users