Renaming Unit Names

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Renaming Unit Names (66 member(s) have cast votes)

As a unit leader, do you wish you could have the option to change your unit if you had the chance?

1. Yes, I've been down that road before. (57 votes [86.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.36%

2. No, I'm fine with my unit name as it is. (9 votes [13.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Ok, this is a minor thing, but how many of wish you could change your unit name? Some of us have had those moments where we said, "Oh crap, I wish I didn't name my group that." I know that I've been there before. But having a feature like this could be handy for whatever reason you may have like, correcting a simple typo, getting rid of tainted unit status to start anew, or trying to change and adapt to the current timeline. However, the system should act like renaming accounts whereas if you rename your unit once it's free, but doing it over and over again would give you a fee. Maybe it could be done with unit coffers or the something similar. But I said before, renaming your unit may not be a big deal for some, but I can see it being beneficial to those who get into those types of predicaments.

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

This could lead to a LOT of trolling... I'm against it.

#3 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:55 AM

Well some might do that, but I would prefer to rename my unit and rebrand even if paying out of my unit coffer or MC are small prices to pay. At least I wouldn't have to contact support to demand a name change or leave unit and waste cbill again trying to get everyone to join in.

Edited by Will9761, 04 March 2021 - 08:15 PM.

#4 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

Why PGI doesn't sell "pilot rename" and "unit rename" single use items is beyond me.

If I had the chance, I'd go by "NewName'); drop table pilots;". Posted Image

Edited by Exilyth, 23 May 2018 - 02:25 PM.

#5 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:05 PM

That works as well. I could see this being used in case if people can't or won't make their own unit names.

#6 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

Maybe limit the renaming to within a short time frame of starting the unit, that way it's harder to troll.

Also, must have a list of previous unit names, in order of their use.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 21 July 2018 - 07:47 PM.

#7 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

I can live with having a list of previous unit names to click on and own.

#8 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:08 PM

If it cost MC and was fairly pricey like 5,000 MC (is that relatively expensive in terms of ingame earnings?) that would discourage whimsical trolling. Also Unit Names could be reviewed before being allowed to change their name and a cooldown period between name changes would be viable.

#9 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,367 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 19 September 2020 - 12:35 PM

In other online games, such renaming costs currency equivalent to MWO's "MC" currency.

Why not?
Win-Win for both players and MWO.

#10 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 12:26 PM

Not only renaming the unit, but getting to unit under someone elses control if the unit leader has not been logged in for at least 30 days. As well as assigning a new leader, should the current leader decide to resign.

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:04 PM

We are no longer the Mechwarriors Who Say "Ni!" We are now the Mechwarriors Who Say "Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing!"

Seriously though, assigning a new leader would be good management capability, while assigning a new unit name should be limited.

#12 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:09 PM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 30 December 2020 - 12:26 PM, said:

Not only renaming the unit, but getting to unit under someone elses control if the unit leader has not been logged in for at least 30 days. As well as assigning a new leader, should the current leader decide to resign.

I had no problem getting a my unit's name changed. I just emailed customer support, explained my situation, and they helped me out.

Also, I was easily able to hand off that unit when real life got in the way and I decided to step down from leadership, but yes, the unit leader would have to be available to do the hand off. Something letting the XO do it if the CO is away for 30+ days would be a good idea.

#13 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 23 October 2023 - 09:40 PM

I'm against free trolling, and paid trolling. That's what this could, and likely would lead to. I know the people I surround myself with.

#14 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 09:59 AM

There should be an rule that states that if you unit name and/or tag basically has hate speech in it or if it's a shot at PGI and their devs, the names would be rejected. That is if a unit leader decides they want to show their true colors. Better yet, they lose MC if the naming does fall under hate speech. Now fixing typos or rebranding, I'm fine with.

#15 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 November 2023 - 10:44 AM

View PostWill9761, on 03 November 2023 - 09:59 AM, said:

There should be an rule that states that if you unit name and/or tag basically has hate speech in it or if it's a shot at PGI and their devs, the names would be rejected. That is if a unit leader decides they want to show their true colors. Better yet, they lose MC if the naming does fall under hate speech. Now fixing typos or rebranding, I'm fine with.

Hate speech is already forbidden in MWO, on any form, that's includes unit names/tags.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users