Solaris 7 Hero Pack Pre-Order Is Here!

209 replies to this topic

#81 Vysir

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

View Postchewie, on 17 February 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Its 7 mechs with CB boost to replace ones that we basically can already get.....

I've just done a slight comparison with existing mechs and aside from ther CB boosts (and the urbie with a 210 engine max) there is nothing worth getting from this pack.

Atlas Kraken.
Its a AS7-K but with downrated CT weapons.

Griffin ARES
Its a GRF-1S but with a different load out to begin with and the energy are split between the two arms.
Rifleman. Its a LK with a 3N loadout...

Urbie. R60/63 but with bigger engine cap.

Firestarter. Its an Ember with 2E moved to the CT

Banshee. Its a La Malinche with JJ

The only real special is the MDD, because none of the others can match it for E and M capacity. And with 2 of those E points being CT based, i thought it would limit you, and it does, to only 1 slot Energy weapons in those positions.

While I'm looking forward to a different mode etc, unless your after CB boost, there's no point getting the pack at all.

Now why couldnt they have added some of these babies, and given us something that both looks different and has no requirement to have more than 1 variant to master it (the way we used to).
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Category:Solarian_BattleMechs

I can't believe I'm gonna have to be the one to come to PGI's defense. Let me knock these out in order as best I can

AS7-KR isn't a downgraded AS7-K when looking at hard points. The hero gets an extra missile slot and an extra energy as well. If you take them base for base, the pulse lasers would have to be removed in order to make up the extra tonnage of the guass rifle.

GRF-AR might have the same number of hard points as the 1S but having them split ensures if you lose that one arm, you're not knocked out of the fight. Far too many times I've been made weaponless because of a singular spot on my mech being taken out, forced then to become an impromptu meat shield for other teammates.

The Rifleman is a 2N with a LK load out? Pretty sure at that point the DB would be a new variant. Given how rarely Riflemen make use of more than three ballistic hard points, this allows people to have a bit more leeway.

UM-SS This one I'm not too keen on. A higher engine cap would be nice, but given how fast I lose my arms on my other Urbanmechs, I can see myself becoming helpless far too quickly.

FSP-FS To be honest, this is how I wish the Ember was set up. More often than not, I want my machine guns in the arms over the torso. That's why I take my Spider more than my Firestarter when I'm choosing a light IS mech.

BMC-SR If only the La Malinche had that extra ballistic hard point, or the ability to fall long distances without damage, then maybe it wouldn't be one of the worst hero mechs in the game (And i bought one). To be honest, the Siren probably won't be anything more than a 'I bought a Maddog and all I got was this Banshee' type of bonus mech.

The Maddog and Rifleman are the two I want the most, followed by the Firestarter, possibly the Griffin. Those three I desire are more than worth the 30 dollar costs, the others being bonus parts for other mechs in a worst case scenario. Never mind the other incentives as well. This pack announcement might be enough to make me decide I didn't need the Blood Asp as much as I thought, since I can't throw too much money into this game right now.

#82 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

My problem with the Urbie hero is that faster means fewer weapons. 3 Mpulse & 2 MGs does not make for a high damage build. I swapped mine to 3 MLas and a UAC5 and was much happier, even though it is slower.

#83 Flay123

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:27 AM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 20 February 2018 - 02:14 PM.
inappropriate references

#84 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

@ Rapid

what i clearly failed to get across was, from my point of view:

The RFL-DB I called a LK with a 3N loadout, because it is a 3N with a 30% CB boost and a custom skin. Because that's essentially what it is.

The Kraken IS an AS7-K but with down graded Medium Pulse to Medium Laser. because that's what it is. It already has a Gauss Rifle. It doesn't need to be downgraded to give tonnage.

The Ares is is basically just the GRF-1S as far as hard points are concerned, but with a different load out..

The Siren is a La Malinche with JJ...

as i said, it was a quick comparison. I didnt check it stat for stat, just compared numbers of hard points against available mechs.

So with regards to the JJ, you can actually build any of the hero's except the Maddog, from existing mechs.

So $30 for 7 mechs and bays, mechs with CB boost is a good thing for some.

But as far as the game is concerned, they could have put anything on them, its solaris, theres always non standard builds. Its how Yen Lo Wang came to be what it is.

#85 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

I'd be more interested if they fixed the mobility problems first. JJs too weak, big mechs too un-fun to drive, etc.

I was initially interested, but there's just not enough in the pack that I would enjoy driving.

#86 ZachDC

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

I, for one, am happy they stuck with canonical builds while introducing Solaris. Now we can play out the yen-lo-wang vs ares fight & the justin allard - philip capet fight...

#87 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Good idea. Mechs don’t appeal

#88 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

I am not terribly interested in the Hero mechs, but I might get the pack for the extras. Anyone know if the warhorns are on Soundcloud yet?

#89 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 16 February 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

Are... Are you from Portugal?This mech is what the damn La Malinche should've been. A jumping Banshee.

Also, we need people to start ASKING FOR THE ATLAS EYE LASER FOR THE AS7-KR. NOW. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT.

Posted Image Posted Image
AND. "Banshee" already saw where the missile hit point is !!! It's on an armored shield. Only PGI to make a scene like this. If he has JJ or not in terms 1vs1 does not matter.
You will never have this game fixed. Let MW5 leave this already been Posted Image Posted Image

#90 Buenaventura

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

That missile hardpoint on the Siren is like a bad cut'n'paste with a bit of blur around the edges afterwards. Posted Image

#91 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

View Postarcana75, on 16 February 2018 - 07:42 PM, said:

7 hero mechs for US$30, that's an amazing deal!

I do want to know though, if there are any or going to be any pre-order bonuses? Or, what's the difference going to be between a pre-order and a standard purchase?

Probably not beyond what it says...

Because I do not believe this will be available after release. Once it is release I can almost guarantee this will disappear. Like the Phoenix and Founder packs.

(It costs more money to buy a single Cbill Atlas [The Atlas K] for MC than this pack costs... and you're getting 7 hero mechs, not just a single cbill mech. Considering that single assault mech heroes sell for 25 dollars on their store page, the average single hero sells for 15 if you already spent 20 dollars on the main pack... this "preorder" will vanish once it is released.)

Further evidence: This has NOT been added to the store page (they always add preorders to the store page, except ones that won't stay.)

Edited by Koniving, 17 February 2018 - 05:01 PM.

#92 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostZachDC, on 17 February 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

I, for one, am happy they stuck with canonical builds while introducing Solaris. Now we can play out the yen-lo-wang vs ares fight & the justin allard - philip capet fight...

That would be fun. Assuming they fit into the same categories.

This said.. Would like to see a more Yen Lo Wang paintjob...

Posted Image
Yen Lo Wang's original paint scheme.

The one we got came from the card game, which errorneously uses the Japanese rising sun (apparently, quite offensively if the Japanee thread on Kurita is to be believed).
Posted Image

Now don't get me wrong, I like the paint scheme we did get (I just change the colors).
Posted Image

But the scheme doesn't fit a Chinese-Liao or ?-Davion motif. Instead we got a Japanese-themed motif with what their thread calls their naval flag.
o.o;

#93 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:54 PM

So, about this rumor that this meckpack will be available to purchase through steam in April, please confirm.

#94 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:09 PM

Would be interesting but highly unlikely.

Steam charges a percentage for its sales.

The mech packs on Steam are 2 mechs with champion mech builds and 30% cbill bonuses...for 18 to 35 dollars.

Why would they put a pack of 7 hero mechs for 30 dollars, in which they have to share the income with Valve?
They sell 2 assault mechs for 35..

If they do become available on steam, they will likely fit this pattern:
Two mechs for X funds (likely comparable to the other mechs on Steam).

They might lump the two lights together with the medium to be able to have it at the same price as the heavy pack.

You won't be seeing the other stuff with it either if they did this.

This many mechs for 30 dollars; this is a grab deal that will not linger for long. The idea is to get a large amount of money very quickly. As a long term item this basically devalues anything else they have and would hurt sales of other items including preorders so this cannot be sustained as a long term item.

Edited by Koniving, 17 February 2018 - 06:20 PM.

#95 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:30 PM

View PostKoniving, on 17 February 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

That would be fun. Assuming they fit into the same categories.

This said.. Would like to see a more Yen Lo Wang paintjob...

Posted Image
Yen Lo Wang's original paint scheme.

The one we got came from the card game, which errorneously uses the Japanese rising sun (apparently, quite offensively if the Japanee thread on Kurita is to be believed).
Posted Image

Now don't get me wrong, I like the paint scheme we did get (I just change the colors).
Posted Image

But the scheme doesn't fit a Chinese-Liao or ?-Davion motif. Instead we got a Japanese-themed motif with what their thread calls their naval flag.
o.o;

The Yen Lo Wang used the sun pattern, because it was the symbol of the stable that Kai was fighting for at the time, it has nothing to do with imperial Japan.

#96 Me tarzan

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

Does anyone know when Solaris and these mechs will be released?

#97 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

View PostK19, on 17 February 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Posted Image Posted Image
AND. "Banshee" already saw where the missile hit point is !!! It's on an armored shield. Only PGI to make a scene like this.

Actually that's where they have always been located on the 5S in canon
Posted Image

Unfortunately the arms are good for little more than shielding in MWO. Maybe the hard point will change like with the Partisan if we make enough noise, it wouldn't be the first time a artist took liberties with Vandergriff's mech.
Posted Image

Edited by Steel Raven, 17 February 2018 - 09:29 PM.

#98 tokumboh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:00 AM

View PostCatten Hart, on 16 February 2018 - 10:23 PM, said:

... Man, I really should turn off the "be a jerk to people who can't speak proper English" button off sometimes, shouldn't I.

You made a mistake, you apologised, to me it make for good awareness.

#99 tokumboh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:11 AM

Like other here I am just tempted by the fact that this is supreme value for money. I am tempted by Solaris because I think that some of the issues of the game in QP would be minimised and I love me a bit of brawling to relieve the laser vomit and longer range meta. I am hoping the Solaris give a use for the slower mechs. It makes little sense in many games to have the atlass when the game is biased towards high mobility and range. yet people then declare that a LRM atlas is a bad thing

;-)

On a serious note. Solaris is something that the game needs, I have some reservations, like how will the spectators thing work such that it is not abused * I am hoping there is some delay between game and spectator to limit cheating. The games themselves will not last very long. I can see games not lasting more than 3 minutes on average. So wait times and prep for a match may take longer than the match itself. How will being a spectator work, will I be be invited to a game or can I drop into random games?

To be fair I am looking forward to it just because it is something new and for the sake of the game I am hoping it is a success, I am also looking forward to the new map and at least some form of clean up

#100 BEARDOOM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:25 AM

GREAT Solaris road, but HEROES are nothing, realy nothing special.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users