Updates To The Road Map! 32-Bit, Supply Caches And Skill Tree Respec!

112 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

Greetings MechWarriors!

We have a few additional items we need to share with you which have been added to the recent Roadmap.
Please review the following as many of these changes may be very important to be aware of in advance of the changes!

Removal of the Respec Cost in Skill Tree
As of the March 20th patch, we are removing the 400 XP cost associated with re-acquiring a previously unlocked Skill! The removal of this cost is not retroactive, and will not result in any refunds of XP/GXP previously used to reacquire an unlocked Node. This is simply a change to the respec system moving forward.

Removal of 32-bit support
As of the April 17th patch, MechWarrior Online will no longer support 32-bit systems.

The MechWarrior Online client and its features have for some time now been hitting the limits of performance and stability under 32-bit systems when it comes to memory. Last year, we updated the Minimum System Requirements listed on the client download page and on Steam to reflect a suggested minimum of 4GB of RAM.

With the release of the new Bolt-On system in our April/Solaris 7 patch and the addition of three new Decal slots (increasing the number of Decal slots from 6 to 9), coupled with decreasing or altogether absent levels support for 32-bit systems by the Windows OS and the various hardware manufacturers, we have opted to end 32-bit support with the release of the April patch.

Removal of current Supply Cache system

The existing Supply Caches and Supply Cache Keys system will be undergoing a ground-up redesign with the release of the April/Solaris 7 patch, bringing in a more streamlined and player-friendly Cache system. As a result, all existing Supply Caches and Supply Cache Keys present in player inventories at the time of the April 17th patch will be removed. If you wish to unlock any Supply Caches in your inventory, be sure to do so before April 17th at 10:00 AM PST!

That said, any unopened Supply Caches or unused Supply Cache Keys in your inventory at the time of the patch will be refunded to you in the following manner:

1 Supply Cache Key = 25 MC (the existing purchase value)
1 Supply Cache = 50,000 C-Bills (the existing sellback value)

Every Cache and Key remaining in your inventory will be accounted for!

Details regarding the brand new Supply Cache system will be revealed in future posts leading up to the release of Solaris 7 in our April 17th patch!

#2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

good.

#3 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the update on the Supply Cache. Still going to hold onto everything until just before patch. Just in case plans change like they did for the module refund.

Kudos on the respec. Was one of the pressure points many had about it.

But...still nothing about 8v8. I mean nothing. Not even it is not being considered anymore.

#4 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

View PostKodiakGW, on 27 February 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

Thanks for the update on the Supply Cache. Still going to hold onto everything until just before patch. Just in case plans change like they did for the module refund.

Kudos on the respec. Was one of the pressure points many had about it.

But...still nothing about 8v8. I mean nothing. Not even it is not being considered anymore.

Agreed on holding onto caches. I haven't opened any in months, so the automated refund will save a lot of clicking, which I appreciate.

#5 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

Woo im going to get a nice sum of monies for all my unused caches

Also im glad skill tree is getting fixed up. Its only a little thing, but that still helps. That XP price was annoying!

#6 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

Still no words if BOLT-ON will stick better than decals:

Lets say you nailed it with bolt-on, do you think decls can be converted to work the same way?

Edited by Rhialto, 27 February 2018 - 01:30 PM.

#7 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

Both respec cost and caches are great news.

#8 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

All good changes!

And what a fair way to handle supply caches with plenty of notice. Please don't bend to the crowd that have been hoarding them in hopes that they will be exchanged for something better!

#9 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

I'm sad about 32 bit support, many older machines will be hit, and people will be unable to play this game..

Also, just giving us 50K for a Supply Cache is a cringeworthy move.. If I wanted to sell them off, I would have done so.. you should simply replace them with the new ones, and refund the keys as planned..

I mean come on.. some people have loads of these things.. reward them a little? For once?

Great job on listening to the community and giving us 3 more decal slots.. 6 would have been preferable, but I'll take what I can get..

#10 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

Respec news is awesome. Supply caches, well, never thought much of them. The 32-bit thing seems like a delicate maneuver, hopefully it doesn't impact many people.

#11 CoffeeFrame

Rookie

• Sergeant-Major
  • Sergeant-Major
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWestern New York

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 27 February 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

I'm sad about 32 bit support, many older machines will be hit, and people will be unable to play this game..

Having to support 32-bit systems is holding everyone on 64-bit systems back. 64-bit has been standard on PCs for years now and is damn near universal (source: http://store.steampo...d.com/hwsurvey/)

#12 Stargazzer811

• PipPipPip
  • The Moonwalker
  • The Moonwalker
  • 97 posts
  • LocationAn experimental SLDF McKenna class Battleship, waiting for Clan Nova Cat to return to the Inner Sphere in 3160

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

View PostCoffeeFrame, on 27 February 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

Having to support 32-bit systems is holding everyone on 64-bit systems back. 64-bit has been standard on PCs for years now and is damn near universal (source: http://store.steampo...d.com/hwsurvey/)

Define for years now, how long exactly? Because as I recall a lot of computers are still sold with 32-bit cause it's cheap software.

#13 Buenaventura

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

About time the supply cache system is changed. Sure I hoped to get something better than when I just sold those, but it is fair.

#14 ENOVA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

"Removal of current Supply Cache system"
I've heard earlier and passed to my unit-mates that we will be able to open them for free, without keys.
And now I just feel embarrased a bit.
We tried to collect them, we didn't open them for many months. Now it seems you r telling me that was for nothing. Noooo....

Edited by ENOVA, 27 February 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#15 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

This is great news and finally some answers. Thanks Posted Image

#16 CoffeeFrame

Rookie

• Sergeant-Major
  • Sergeant-Major
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:36 PM

View PostAvalon91211, on 27 February 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

Define for years now, how long exactly? Because as I recall a lot of computers are still sold with 32-bit cause it's cheap software.

the x86_64 (or AMD64) spec was published by AMD 18 years ago in 2000. With a quick Google search you can find articles detailing 32 vs 64 bit to consumers at around 2009, so that's when adoption started picking up. In terms of cost, modern budget and low power devices tend to use the ARM architecture. The steam hardware survey I linked shows 64 bit versions of windows representing more than 90% of users.

edit: For reference, the raspberry pi 3 model B uses a 64-bit processor https://www.raspberr...y-pi-3-model-b/

Edited by CoffeeFrame, 27 February 2018 - 02:38 PM.

#17 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

View PostCoffeeFrame, on 27 February 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

While I agree that 64bit systems are standard now, for instance, my work computer, which could easily run MWO in 64 bit, must be kept with a 32bit Windows system because we still use dos-frame financial software and such..

I know progress can't be stopped, I'm just saying.. a whole new generation of people will be like "blah, gotta buy a new computer now, well I guess I don't need two kidneys"..

#18 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

Oh No . . now I have to learn 9 letter words .. hmmm does **** happens 9 letters . .. nope darn . . see I need to learn 9 letter words

was going to happen some day, sad about the 32bit

alrighty then, I'll just wait, saves me from clicking all the sell button, for the Cache

#19 CoffeeFrame

Rookie

• Sergeant-Major
  • Sergeant-Major
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 27 February 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

While I agree that 64bit systems are standard now, for instance, my work computer, which could easily run MWO in 64 bit, must be kept with a 32bit Windows system because we still use dos-frame financial software and such..

I know progress can't be stopped, I'm just saying.. a whole new generation of people will be like "blah, gotta buy a new computer now, well I guess I don't need two kidneys"..

While it is unfortunate if someone is stuck on a 32 bit machine and is not in the financial situation to upgrade, you don't need to replace the whole system. You can keep your case, GPU, PSU, and depending on whatever motherboard you get, your RAM. All you would need to replace is the CPU and the MOBO. If you really want to save some money, sometimes you can find your local university or business tossing away old hardware, or if your friend or co-worker is upgrading their machine you might be able to convince them to give it to you or sell it at a steep discount. As for buying a new CPU, AMD in the past year has dropped some great low cost CPUs including some brand new ones for $100ish with on-board graphics.

#20 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 27 February 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

Right but the reason you are still using 32 bit in that regard is it's inherently profitable. Is 32bit support in a F2P profitable?

Maybe they should make a 32 bit install and sell it? ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users