The Hero's Cup (An Event Sponsored By Feyd's Irregulars)

60 replies to this topic

#1 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNorth America West

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:31 AM

Alright, so the new player's Champion's Cup event did not go well at all. In fact, it didn't really happen, and the one player who was responsive after entering the tournament ended up winning by default (and got a champion Zeus out of the ordeal),

That's not to say I haven't learned from my mistakes in managing that tournament. Scheduling will likely always be troublesome, and schedules can change in IRL which makes communication through the game all the more difficult.

With that being said I am happy to announce a new tournament; in anticipation for the coming Solaris7 update I am hosting a new tournament, open to anyone who is willing, for the trophy of a Hero class 'mech. The rules of this event are as follows:

1. Matches will run as 1 vs 1 combat with weight class enforced. The format of each match will be determined at the time of the match (which includes weight class, combat location, and game type). For example, lottery might determine that the match be run as Domination on Terra Therma with Assault-class 'mechs, or it could run as Skirmish on Steiner Colosseum with Light-class 'mechs. The lottery will be run using variable-sided dice.

2. The meta game WILL be present in this tournament. This means that skills and custom loadouts are allowed. Beware of the persistent damage weapons like MGs and RACs as well as cheap burst damage weapons like Rockets: they will all be allowed.

3. This tournament will be run as with a Single-Elimination bracket; this means that each match is a chance to be eliminated from the contest.

4. The winner of this tournament will be awarded a Hero 'mech of his or her choosing from the list below:
- Pirates' Bane
- Huginn
- Yen-Lo-Wang
- Ilya Muromets
- Jester
- Dragon Slayer
- Misery
[EDIT - Turns out there are Clan Heroes available in the gift store]
- Jenner IIC "Fury"
- Hunchback IIC "Deathwish"
- Shadow Cat "Mishipeshu"
- Ice Ferret "Rainbow Crow"
- Orion IIC "Sköll"
Depending on the number of contestants there MIGHT be prizes for 2nd and 3rd place as well, chosen from the Reinforcements list on the gift store (<= $13)

If you would like to be included in this tournament you will have to be online between the hours of 4:00 PM and midnight (Mountain Standard Time, MST, UTC-7) on (April 7) and (April 14).

If you want to compete you will have to post your name here OR add me in-game so I can invite you when the time comes.
If you advance to round 2 or further and cannot make it online at these times, your match will count as a forfeit. If the amount of contestants is too large to fit into the allotted time, the tournament might extend to April 21 and April 28.

There is a Mumble server available to anyone who wants to use it at howlite.typefrag.com:8265
If you want to join but are unsure how to set up the Mumble software then please let me know and I can help you through it. Instructions for matches are preferably given over VoIP through Mumble, but I will make do with what I have as necessary.

Current Declared Hero List (To be tested in combat)
Cadoazreal
Yondu the Ravager
WhnDiplomacyFails
rookiebob
DerHuhnTeufel
Johnsparta
Giving Em The Business
PoLaR
-
Steel Mike Eels
C H E E K I E Z
YottsTwitch
KIPPERS
Nuckin Futz
TheSilken
BowTiger
CatznDogz
-
Sporkee
Deadborder

UPDATE: As the running of this tournament requires that we have players to play, this creates a restriction for running this event fairly. Right now I'm looking for 7 more players (ideally). I will try to accomodate as many of you as I can, but some players may have to be dropped.

Edited by Arle Vox, 28 March 2018 - 06:35 AM.

#2 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

Sorry to hear the original event didn't go well. I would have joined in, but felt my rocketing advancement through the tiers from my first day of playing MWO immediately and deservedly disqualified me. While I did play MW2 and MW2:Mercs back in the day, I only started playing MWO at the end of last November. Back in the '90s, I never did become an expert at the games, but I was good enough to beat them. Fast forward to present day, I'm much better than I used to be. Adept piloting and aiming have been no problem since I started playing MWO. I picked up on everything necessary to hold my own in combat very quickly, especially since I've done a lot of reading in the forums and on sites that hold a LOT of valuable info, not to mention I'd been watching others videos on Youtube for months prior.

I don't think it would be right for me to enter the competition to win any prizes if paired against lower-skilled players, but I might be willing to compete if only my opponents can win prizes IF they beat me. If I were paired against an opponent that had only been playing a short time like myself, but also advanced as quickly, THAT might be more fair, and only then would I consider accepting a prize. Otherwise, I'd only compete to let others hone their skills and claim the prize if they could beat me. I'm not one to boast, but apparently I'm a decent player ... I play with some folks regularly that have been playing for years, and STILL haven't made it out of Tier 5, which surprises the hell out of me given the nature of the upward PSR bias I keep reading about.

I don't use Mumble (I use Teamspeak, or Discord when necessary), but I could install it and use it long enough for the event. If nothing else, it was cool for someone to come up with an idea like this. Help new players, make things more interesting, etc. Kudos.

#3 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

Dude, you play A LOT. Kudos to the new player for sticking it out :)

You need to play CW/FP. I don't know how anyone could enjoy 468 games in one QP season (that's just me); that's a little less than half of all of my QP games haha!

Edited by McGoat, 07 March 2018 - 12:18 PM.

#4 Pak Hammond

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTrying to run on a connection that has to cross oceans

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

Hi Arle, sounds like a good comp. Unfortunately I can't enter as currently sitting at Tier 2 would not necessarily be fair for new players. With regards to clan heroes, you can buy them through the gift store.

You need to look for the clan heroes pack and can pick up the heroes individually.

Seems a bit odd to have to do it that way, but they are there.

Regards and good luck

#5 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

View PostMcGoat, on 07 March 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

Dude, you play A LOT. Kudos to the new player for sticking it out Posted Image

You need to play CW/FP. I don't know how anyone could enjoy 468 games in one QP season (that's just me); that's a little less than half of all of my QP games haha!

Actually, I have played a little Faction Play, but I've been grinding away trying to make enough C-bills to field the exact FP mechs I could perform best in. Unfortunately, I keep spending C-bills on experimenting with fun builds from time to time. Still, perhaps you are right about doing more Faction Play, as I've seen how much better the rewards are. My main goal is to become the best Mechwarrior I can be, and to play with and against the best. Training others could possibly also help hone my skills, so I figured I'd offer to help Axle Rox (Arle Vox), or at least try to garner more support for his idea. I think this game could use more player-inspired, player-held events like this, if only to help keep it entertaining and alive.

#6 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:54 AM

View PostPak Hammond, on 07 March 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

Hi Arle, sounds like a good comp. Unfortunately I can't enter as currently sitting at Tier 2

"open to anyone who is willing"

10am sunday 8th for melbourne Australia. Wife will prolly be problematic but ill try.

#7 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:03 AM

Is this open tier? Got a little confused from the comments.

#8 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

Alas, Alack, I shall be attending a LAN party and roleplaying session both those days. I whole heartedly support the event however, and wish the entrants a fun time!

~Leone.

#9 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostPak Hammond, on 07 March 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

Hi Arle, sounds like a good comp. Unfortunately I can't enter as currently sitting at Tier 2 would not necessarily be fair for new players.

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 08 March 2018 - 04:03 AM, said:

Is this open tier? Got a little confused from the comments.

This is not an event for new players! That's why I said that registration is completely open!
If you've been playing forever or for only a year or less I want you to compete, the more the merrier. The games will all be 1v1 (which most of you aren't accustomed to - yet) and you'll be placed in random circumstances after choosing your mechs. Tier ratings mean less and less for these matches, as you cannot count on any teammates to help you.

In summary, no matter how good you think you are I WANT YOU TO COMPETE. This tournament is for heroes - are you tough enough to be considered?

Also, mention was made about clan heroes, and I've updated the list to include some clan heros in the prize pool.

Edited by Arle Vox, 08 March 2018 - 05:44 PM.

#10 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

Consider me in then, not sure if I'm free on the tournament dates but I'm up for the challenge.

#11 WhnDiplomacyFails

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

Count me in!

#12 rookiebob

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

may i try to survive?

#13 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:48 AM

Alright, so we have 4 contestants who are strong enough to rise to the challenge. All of you who are using the excuse that it's not fair to new players if you compete: this IS NOT a new player event. Custom builds are allowed, and it's a good idea to have at least one 'mech of each weight class ready (because there's no telling where or what you'll be dropping in).

I am so pleased that we have 4 entries so far! I will keep registration for this event open until the day of, which does make it possible that we will have an odd number of players - this will be dealt with as the need arises. In the case of an odd number of contestants in the first round I'll come up with some sort of single-elimination/round robin hybrid bracket to accomodate everyone who wants to join in the fun.

That leaves three weeks for anyone interested to put their name forward. I will put together weight class/location combinations to randomly select from so as to make it quick when it comes time to choose.

Edited by Arle Vox, 14 March 2018 - 10:56 AM.

#14 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:18 AM

*BUMP*

I am still hopeful that interest in this event has not completely died. We're still sitting at ~4 players (hoping everyone who has expressed interest can be available at the times listed). 4 players is alright, it just means that round 1 of the matches will automatically be semi-finals, and round 2 will determine our winner.

#15 DerHuhnTeufel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

I'll give it a shot, sounds like fun. In game is same as forum.

Edited by DerHuhnTeufel, 16 March 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#16 Steel Mike Eels

• PipPipPip
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • 59 posts
  • LocationParagon City

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:10 PM

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

#17 Pak Hammond

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTrying to run on a connection that has to cross oceans

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

Good luck Arle. Will keep an eye on the comp, but 10am Melbourne time on a Sunday is the problem for me as well. Sundays are usually a cleaning day at my place, so wife would not be happy. The 4 yr old copilot would make it interesting though. :)

#18 Johnsparta

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:44 PM

Hello I Would Be Interested In Joining your Tournament My Ingame Name Is Johnsparta

#19 Arle Vox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

I am happy to report that we have 6 players who will (hopefully) be joining us on the path to heroism. This means that Level 1 of the matches will be held as a single elimination contest, then Level 2 will move to a round-robin style battle. In this Round-Robin style level the top 2 players will advance to the finals. The Round-Robin will run until two victors can be determined.

The above, of course, is invalid if we manage to get two (2) more contestants; then we will be able to hold a standard single-elimination tournament.

Edited by Arle Vox, 19 March 2018 - 12:24 PM.

#20 Giving Em The Business

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 66 posts
  • LocationOn your six, duct tape at the ready

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

Count me in

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users