Averaging 2 Nodes A Match

106 replies to this topic

#1 IVeoRR

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCommerce City, CO

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

That's right, 2 paltry nodes a match...

Now that all of my, "free" points, from the changeover to the new skill tree are gone, I have been forced to feel like a, "new," player. What horsesh*t it is to have to skill a mech when it takes so long.

I have been playing a better part of the day trying to get my Zeus competent on heat, mobility, etc. and I am ending my play with 33 nodes. Ridiculous.

Please address this P.G.I. Speed the process up by the amount of points attainable per match or whatever. Playing an unskilled mech sucks and getting enough xp to unlock 1-6 nodes, if you even win and/or do well, is stupidly slow.

Love the game, but the grind is outrageous.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

This is ironic because the whole reason PGI claims to have made 91 nodes instead of fewer, stronger nodes was to make you feel like you were making progress every match even if the end result took about the same amount of time.

(I don't disagree though).

Edited by FupDup, 18 March 2018 - 12:07 PM.

#3 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

So when playing a lot you can level a mech in 3-4 days? That doesn't seen unreasonable.

#4 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Assuming you are getting good matches, 2-3 per match with premium time sounds about right. And if your first victory of the day bonus is on a decent match you should bet 5, maybe 6 from that. Plus whatever you can squeeze out of your GXP (an additional 1 every 7 matches, give or take).

So, yes, it would take about an hour or so a day for a week to fully skill a mech. Maybe a bit more if match performance tanks and/or you lack premium time.

#5 Felbombling

• 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

View PostIVeoRR, on 18 March 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

Love the game, but the grind is outrageous.

Dude, you have zero clue as to what a F2P grind actually looks like, if what you describe above is 'outrageous'.

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 18 March 2018 - 12:28 PM, said:

So when playing a lot you can level a mech in 3-4 days? That doesn't seen unreasonable.

Give you could do it in under 20-25 matches in the previous system?

#7 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 18 March 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

Give you could do it in under 20-25 matches in the previous system?

Provided you had 2 other mechs of the chassis Basic'd and at least 2 other mechs of the weight class Elite'd, yes. Otherwise it would take much longer, cost more c-bills (purchasing and kitting out 2 additional mechs), and require more mech bays.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostFelbombling, on 18 March 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

Dude, you have zero clue as to what a F2P grind actually looks like, if what you describe above is 'outrageous'.

You know what? For some people, any grind is "outrageous".

Hell, do we really need a skill tree?

#9 EnochsBook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

View PostMystere, on 18 March 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

You know what? For some people, any grind is "outrageous".

Hell, do we really need a skill tree?
We don't, but PGI certainly does need a way to monetize us getting the most out of our 'Mechs.

#10 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

The way of the skillmaze gates certain key skills behind a long and winding path, e.g. all mechs with ECM will be [redacted] until the two ecm nodes are unlocked.

Still the 'grind' in MW:O is a lot less than many other F2P games require.

Edited by Exilyth, 18 March 2018 - 03:29 PM.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,800 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

still insta-mastering things.

#12 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

What a waste of cbils..

I never use skill tree unless its free history sp, no way i'm wasting my money on that, i don't care if it makes a mech better (debatable) I'm not wasting 5mil on a few skills, i'll play badly thanks over that thanks..

Most mechs make zero difference with 91 skills anyway.

Edited by Samial, 18 March 2018 - 04:00 PM.

#13 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostSamial, on 18 March 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

What a waste of cbils.. I never use skill tree unless its free history sp, no way i'm wasting my money on that, i don't care if it makes a mech better (debatable) I'm not wasting 5mil on a few skills i'll play badly thanks over that..

it's not debatable at all, it DOES make your mechs better. a bad mech may still be bad, but it's undeniably better with skills than without.

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

View PostEscef, on 18 March 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

Provided you had 2 other mechs of the chassis Basic'd and at least 2 other mechs of the weight class Elite'd, yes. Otherwise it would take much longer, cost more c-bills (purchasing and kitting out 2 additional mechs), and require more mech bays.

And if you want to skill up 2 variants (or more) of a current mech, that argument is suddenly nullified because it takes longer to skill 2 under this system than 3 in the old one.

View PostSamial, on 18 March 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

What a waste of cbils..

I never use skill tree unless its free history sp, no way i'm wasting my money on that, i don't care if it makes a mech better (debatable) I'm not wasting 5mil on a few skills, i'll play badly thanks over that thanks..

Most mechs make zero difference with 91 skills anyway.

What?
13% range
10% more heat efficient
10% faster cooling
7-10% cooldown
40pts extra armour across a mech

Far, far more than zero.

#15 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 18 March 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

And if you want to skill up 2 variants (or more) of a current mech, that argument is suddenly nullified because it takes longer to skill 2 under this system than 3 in the old one.

It is. Part of the skill tree changeover, however, was to make it easier for casual players to skill up mechs. I don't have a problem with this. Besides, it gives the completionists something to do.

View PostEnochsBook, on 18 March 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

We don't, but PGI certainly does need a way to monetize us getting the most out of our 'Mechs.

Skill tree does not cost MC. It doesn't monetize anything. But it does incentivize playing individual mechs a bit more than we otherwise might. If it keeps people logged in and playing than it's better for server populations. With any luck, the ones logged in and playing aren't bittervets that are only satisfied if everyone else is as miserable as they are.

#16 IVeoRR

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCommerce City, CO

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

View PostFelbombling, on 18 March 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

I don't care about the games you play on your phone, bud. Lol, I have friends that play games where upgrades take years. I care about this game. I will never have enough time to skill all of my old and new mechs as I have a life outside of this game...but I love this game. I think it would capture more interest if the grind was shortened just a tad. A tad more cbills and xp per match would help the feeling that I'm progressing rather than getting left behind...in the grind. I'm a poet and didn't even know it.

#17 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

If you don't play those mechs, then they don't need to be skilled. I have at least ten of my 30ish mechs that either have 0 or only a few skill points, because I just don't play them. The ones I DO play either have 91 skill points or I am actively working on filling up their skill tree.

#18 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:09 PM

View PostIVeoRR, on 18 March 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

I don't care about the games you play on your phone, bud.

It's not really a defense of F2P grind times but, game that are very directly comparable to MWO generally have far worse grind times. Games such as World of Tanks and Warthunder.

#19 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

View PostEscef, on 18 March 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

It is. Part of the skill tree changeover, however, was to make it easier for casual players to skill up mechs. I don't have a problem with this. Besides, it gives the completionists something to do.

And yet new players continually post up here and on reddit about how long the grind is and you don't really notice anything.

Both of those things are bang on the money. 1% change here/there you really do not feel. Not like the old system where you unlocked something, you damn well felt it instantly.

Skill Maze caused players to quit and increased the grind significantly for multi-variant purchases (anyone getting a pack).

Overall these two things are extremely bad. Stop defending it.

#20 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,975 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 18 March 2018 - 12:28 PM, said:

yes and no

in a meeting trying to sell it to the boss sure it looks good
and you have all the stats and charts to prove your point

but when you consider 1) people already skilled out there Mechs once and now they have to
do it again

2) you have to use your computers to control the game after all you don't want them skilling to fast
players might not be able to put there exact finger on the problem they just know something is not right

3) 1.5 to 2.0 nodes seem to be about right but the matches still fluctuate wildly
from one moment your doing good then the next your lucky to do 200 DMG

4)at the end of all the skilling your scratching your head asking did I get anything out of this

at least we used to have something more tangible like speed tweak or adv zoom module

the new skill system only works on paper

note I am not talking about the rule of three
I feel like that's a different subject

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users