352 replies to this topic

#161 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

typical player base overreaction

sounds like a minor nerf to CMGs to bring them more in line with ISMGs. and it also sounds like HMG is getting buffed.

#162 Serial Number

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

So, after all the 2-month+ crying of piranha/mg op, the MGs are getting nerfed... RIP Piranha, RIP all the clan lights again that were actually dead after spl nerf lmao. PGI you just hate clan lights, dont you. Don't forget to give some more buffs to commando with it's broken af hitboxes btw.

Edited by Serial Number, 07 April 2018 - 11:53 AM.

#163 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

View PostSerial Number, on 07 April 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

So, after all the 2-month+ crying of piranha/mg op, the MGs are getting nerfed... RIP Piranha, RIP all the clan lights again that were actually dead after spl nerf lmao. PGI you just hate clan lights, dont you. Don't forget to give some more buffs to commando with it's broken af hitboxes btw.

Visor really hurts the rear lower region with it, doesn't he? hahahahaha

#164 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 07 April 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

The problem here is that it's still a NERF. The community here, and players in general are sick and tired of NERFING for reasons of balance. We would like to see a few buffs instead, or methods that would allow a slight buff here or there. Not Constant and Consistent NERF. At this rate, the only thing that will be useful is a real NERF gun.

Just for the record, no 'we' and 'the community' are not universally tired of nerfs.

The current nerf cycle exists exactly because PGI's former approach to balance was to buff underperformers, leading to power creep that over time created a problem that couldn't be managed any more.

If you have one system that's overperforming, you nerf it instead of buffing half a dozen other things to even the playing field.

You might notice that nobody seems to be weeping over the fate of IS machine gun boats. That's because they don't exist. That's also a balance problem.

#165 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

View Postkuma8877, on 07 April 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

Funny, cuz I don't really see too many high skill vet players complaining about the PIR directly (maybe adjustments to MGs). It's mostly low experience or skill players complaining about the chassis being outright OP (even though no one so far has brought evidence of mediocre players doing consistently high damage/kill games against skilled opponents).

And it seems a bit silly to announce nerfs to a chassis/weapon system months before it goes up for sale for C-bills, gonna be pretty crappy for sales if money is the only end goal.

That's because many players who have direct input aren't on the forums at all. They simply are contacted or contact PGI with suggestions and complaints. We'd never know what they are discussing...... Heck, they may be the sole reason some nerf's happen or not happen and we'd never know.... Maybe, they are tired of getting whacked by a 20 ton mech? Who knows....

There are complaints from the forum and they are "white noise"..... Complaints from a player since day one, after spending 4 digits of real money on this game over the past 5 years is one tweet away from a new nerf or buff or new mech.... That is how business in general works...."them that spend are them that have a voice......" And, dollars to donuts, I know two that have never said a word on this forum but have been 100% accurate on "what is headed our way..." Gee?? I wonder how??? Geesh guys...

#166 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:26 PM

View PostAsym, on 07 April 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

That's because many players who have direct input aren't on the forums at all. They simply are contacted or contact PGI with suggestions and complaints. We'd never know what they are discussing...... Heck, they may be the sole reason some nerf's happen or not happen and we'd never know.... Maybe, they are tired of getting whacked by a 20 ton mech? Who knows....

There are complaints from the forum and they are "white noise"..... Complaints from a player since day one, after spending 4 digits of real money on this game over the past 5 years is one tweet away from a new nerf or buff or new mech.... That is how business in general works...."them that spend are them that have a voice......" And, dollars to donuts, I know two that have never said a word on this forum but have been 100% accurate on "what is headed our way..." Gee?? I wonder how??? Geesh guys...

When should I be expecting my red phone in the mail and my direct to PGI line installation?

#167 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:35 PM

The Piranha seemed OP to me.

I had so much less problem with YokiLin's Piranha than his previous to-go Commando, because the Piranha can be spotted fast as it has no ECM. The Piranha can be more deadly but it was easier to be aware of.

#168 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:56 PM

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 07 April 2018 - 04:34 AM, said:

What? I was playing lights when my PC was a Dell craptop with an integrated Intel chipset GPU. I mean I buy that people who are so goddamn bad that they can't turn an assault 90 degrees in 5-6 seconds can't pilot a light without getting blasted by a competent assault/heavy player, but don't blame that on specs.

Okay, see here's the thing: if you suck at a game, you generally don't have a good grasp on the functional state of balance. "Average" would be ~1.0 cumulative W/L and K/D. When you're markedly below that, it says that you don't understand the game well, which in turn means that you shouldn't be used as a dipstick for 'mech/equipment performance.

As a particularly awful example most of us are aware of, League of Legends is balanced based on both extremes: when something is abused by people at the professional level, it tends to get whacked. When something is used to abuse bad players, it tends to get whacked. That isn't a particularly healthy way to balance, but because Riot tends to run frequent balance passes and will actually buff underperformers sometimes, it's better than nothing.

PGI has no professional scene to judge from, so they balance with a combination of whining from bad players and the dartboard. Worse, they tend to just leave stuff nerfed to hell for years on end.

So when someone whose stats indicate a clear lack of understanding of the game tries to get something nerfed because how dare other people have fun and kill them with it, it's just a tiny bit frustrating because people who've been around the block know that it means whatever the thing is will be nerfed to **** for a long time, potentially forever. Honest question: have you ever seen a Firestarter in QP? That's not a coincidence, it's because once upon a time it was good, potatoes don't like it when light 'mechs are good, and PGI doesn't know how to nerf something without completely ruining it.

I don't suck at the game.

As you can see "by my Stats" i play all the tiers of mechs, i am not in a unit so i only QP with pugs which effects my "stats" and makes me look like a poor performer because my teams are daily.. People who drop with teams are padding their stats..

I know exactly how the game works i've been here on and off for 3 years, and yes i've seen firestarters in QP because i occasionally run them there.

That said i do fine in lights.. I actually enjoy lights very much my favorites are the Osiris and Urbies, i also use Commandos and wolfhounds but i almost own every single light made in game.. I still have no Ravens and Cougars though..

I have no issues with lights in general or piranhas, my issue is the machine gun boating of all clan mechs.. not the lights using them, i can play with no issues thanks.

That said when i said bad PCs i meant bad internet as in latency and bad fps you cannot play a light in those conditions you can play a lurm boat though.

Edited by Samial, 07 April 2018 - 05:01 PM.

#169 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:19 PM

View PostVariant1, on 07 April 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

Raising the dmg would mean small laser and small pulse are now outcompeted by mgs.

Not really, as MGs have CoF, and must achieve similar DPS while constantly face staring. It has its downsides. Besides, most small class lasers are already not in use, they need buffs too.

#170 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:00 PM

View PostSamial, on 07 April 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

I don't suck at the game.

As you can see "by my Stats" i play all the tiers of mechs, i am not in a unit so i only QP with pugs which effects my "stats" and makes me look like a poor performer because my teams are daily.. People who drop with teams are padding their stats..

I know exactly how the game works i've been here on and off for 3 years, and yes i've seen firestarters in QP because i occasionally run them there.

That said i do fine in lights.. I actually enjoy lights very much my favorites are the Osiris and Urbies, i also use Commandos and wolfhounds but i almost own every single light made in game.. I still have no Ravens and Cougars though..

I have no issues with lights in general or piranhas, my issue is the machine gun boating of all clan mechs.. not the lights using them, i can play with no issues thanks.

That said when i said bad PCs i meant bad internet as in latency and bad fps you cannot play a light in those conditions you can play a lurm boat though.

I have all those issues and more, and am also Tier 1 so I face tougher opposition, yet I still have considerably better stats than you.
And I'm faaaaaaar from a top player in this game, I'm not even remotely in the same league as the top 1%.

I do not intend to belittle you; I'm stating this because the first step to improving is to acknowledge your own failings.
It is my hope that you will become a better player by doing so.

Edited by Zergling, 07 April 2018 - 09:59 PM.

#171 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:19 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 06 April 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

Also, I'm not really one that thinks Lights are in a bad place. At worst the shortest range lights would be in a bad place, but poke Lights are doing quite well. I'm not worried about them.

Poke lights are abominations that should be swatted like flies. Only knife-fighters are allowed. Posted Image

#172 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 April 2018 - 05:19 PM, said:

Not really, as MGs have CoF, and must achieve similar DPS while constantly face staring. It has its downsides. Besides, most small class lasers are already not in use, they need buffs too.

I would use them, except IS mechs are severely hurt by hardpoints. Taking 6 SPLs or 6 ERSLs isn't really a choice, 6SPLS or 12ERSLs... now we're talking.

#173 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 April 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

Poke lights are abominations that should be swatted like flies. Only knife-fighters are allowed. Posted Image

Even when those lights originally had stock builds made for ranged fighting?

#174 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 07 April 2018 - 01:26 AM, said:

When it comes to squeaky wheels that threaten their income stream, then yes. PGI does listen.

FTFY. Posted Image

View PostMighty Spike, on 07 April 2018 - 04:03 AM, said:

oh c´mon, you know kow pgi handles these things.. after all these years. People boat weapons, other peoples start to cry about and pgi puts out the nerf hammer and makes them totally useless

Oh c'mon! People don't even have to boat weapons for someone to cry. Someone just has to die for it to happen. Posted Image

#175 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:39 PM

Don't front load all your armor on assaults... and then pir-1s aren't the insta-killers to fear anymore. Anything less agile than a Highlander or Supernova should be 10 pts on the rear torso. If you're too idiotic to buy the seismic nodes and insist on being off on your own standing still... it should be more.

#176 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:43 PM

View PostDogstar, on 07 April 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

Seriously, they chose to introduce a mech that exploits the build rules in order to screw a bit of cash out of the fanboys and whales. Then they nerf the exploited weapon system.

And for the Nth time, the 12MG piranha is a stock BT build, not an exploit. <smh>

View PostAbisha, on 07 April 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

what idiot release a mech with 12 MG gun points away? it's almost a sale scam.
how about give all other mechs that have ballistics about 10 ballistic ports for example the King crab which would make sense for ones.

See above.

Edited by Mystere, 07 April 2018 - 09:45 PM.

#177 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:50 PM

View Postkuma8877, on 07 April 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

...you don't have weapons to counter them because YOU chose not to.

People make a conscious choice not to do anything about a potential threat and then cry like a toddler when that very same threat does them in. When in Hades' name does personal responsibility come in? <smh>

#178 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:57 PM

View PostMadBadger, on 07 April 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

@Kalimaster:

Well actually what you are seeing is the reaction to the machine gun buff, followed by new MG types, followed by the spread nerf, with new 12x, 8x and 6x MG lights tossed into the mix. The state of the game changes over time.

You do realize that basic concepts such as "foresight" and "planning" are nothing new, right?

#179 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 April 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

Even when those lights originally had stock builds made for ranged fighting?

Why release a flamer-equipped Solaris Hero Mech that will not be able to use its flamers because they will be banned in Solaris? Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 07 April 2018 - 10:02 PM.

#180 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:04 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 April 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

Why release a flamer-equipped Solaris Hero Mech that will not be able to use its flamers because they will be banned in Solaris? Posted Image

That...is an entirely separate subject. Weird Solaris contradictions have nothing to do with ranged poke lights in other modes.

46 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 46 guests, 0 anonymous users