This Is Mechwarrior: Fight Like A Real Mech Don't Hide.... The Boogie Man Will Get You!

112 replies to this topic

#41 Stinger554

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 19 April 2018 - 03:39 AM, said:

Hmmm wonder if this tactic would be considered non participation.

I mean lets look at it. 1 player is actively trying to engage. 1 player is just sitting there doing nothing.

Seems like it to me.

I'd say it's non-participation and if you see someone doing it report him/her.

#42 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,664 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

A purple chicken is embarrassing himself. Legging is dishonorable, a heavier mech putting its back up against a wall is dishonorable, destroying the Cockpit is dishonorable...what is next, destroying a mech via Back armor is dishonorable/chick arse play? That would ruin many light pilots strats...

Give us knockdowns or ability to kick a lighter mech that is sniffing my groin, you just might see less movement defensive by moving towards a wall. And as other have mentioned, tis what we tell pilots in heavier mechs fighting lights, put your back to a wall. Hell, had a Faction QP map match were a small group had fought our opponents a few times already. Their goal was to take the base (Assault) in lights/meds. Instructions to put our backs against a wall away from the base and wait for them... It did not go well for the other team.

#43 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:56 AM

What people are not realizing is you can not compare FP or QP to Solaris.

In FP/QP you have 11 other team mates that can take care of the chicken mech for you if he decides to employ this tactic. It is fine. Even if it came down to 1v1 in either FP/QP and the heavy / assault put his back against a wall I would not say a word about it. Because I had my chance to get at him earlier and the same with my teammates

The problem is in Solaris there is no one else to help you with the mech. I am not talking about legged mechs attempting to get a defensive position, or a mech that is really hurt trying to protect himself. I am talking about stragiht from the get go heading into a corner and staying there the entire match. There is no way for the light mech to win against that. Just like bringing streaks, rarely can a light mech win against that.

I was under the impression that PGI did not want a race to the top of the tonnage power creep. Solaris did just that.

Solaris has absolutely proved that Light Mechs being Over Powers is Absolute FAKE NEWS.

Edited by Darian DelFord, 19 April 2018 - 07:58 AM.

#44 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 19 April 2018 - 07:56 AM, said:

What people are not realizing is you can not compare FP or QP to Solaris.

In FP/QP you have 11 other team mates that can take care of the chicken mech for you if he decides to employ this tactic. It is fine. Even if it came down to 1v1 in either FP/QP and the heavy / assault put his back against a wall I would not say a word about it. Because I had my chance to get at him earlier and the same with my teammates

The problem is in Solaris there is no one else to help you with the mech. I am not talking about legged mechs attempting to get a defensive position, or a mech that is really hurt trying to protect himself. I am talking about stragiht from the get go heading into a corner and staying there the entire match. There is no way for the light mech to win against that. Just like bringing streaks, rarely can a light mech win against that.

I was under the impression that PGI did not want a race to the top of the tonnage power creep. Solaris did just that.

Solaris has absolutely proved that Light Mechs being Over Powers is Absolute FAKE NEWS.

Why would you ever expect a light mech to be able to beat a heavy / assault mech in a 1v1 fight without the assault putting his back to the wall? If a light mech vs an assault mech was an even match, then yes that would mean the light mech is overpowered. Light mechs are NOT supposed to be able to take out mechs 3x bigger than them, otherwise there's no point playing the heavier mechs. The lights are there for modes like conquest, or to scout, so you know which direction the enemy is coming. Or to harass bigger mechs, distracting them.

PGI needs to get rid of it's current divisions, and re-do them by weight. That way light mechs will have a place to play where they don't have to worry about heavy mechs.

#45 GBxGhostRyder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

Solaris is total garbage and has proved lights are way OP and once again PGI has Zcrewed the pooch on implementation of this game mode.

Lights should fight other lights and mediums only.
Mediums should fight other mediums and some small heavy's.
Heavy's should fight heavy's and some small assaults.
Assaults should fight assaults and some big heavy's.

But like everything PGI they Feditup once again

#46 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 19 April 2018 - 03:45 AM, said:

All is fair in Solaris combat. if you don't like the wall/corner tactic, then go "north" into Clan space and start challenging Clan warriors to combat in circles of equals.

Somehow, I don't think we're getting that as a Solaris add-on.

But seriously, there are things that could be done, like adding arena hazards that make corners....ahem..."spicy" if you hang out there.

Add various flavors of nasty (turrets, rock fall AOEs, bombs, etc) that have visible warnings, long enough for any kind of parked type to move out of the way. Otherwise, enjoy your free laser trim or personal rock garden from that cave-in and suffer some damage for keeping to a totally static form of gameplay. Bonus: If you're good, you may even be able to lure an opponent into these hazards for an assist. Double bonus: You can actually take a page from the original Solaris and have mobile cover, like pillars that rise and fall randomly.

Alternatively, map edges can be given a "ring out" similar to what we have in QP/FP maps. This allows people to use the edge for brief periods of time, but you can't just park there and give your opponent a perfect frontal facing 100%.

#47 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 19 April 2018 - 02:39 AM, said:

It's perfectly fine if people want to hide in corners all match.

What pisses me off is when they complain that it's unfair for the light to refuse to engage that and let it time out for a tie.

This.

I personally expected this to occur with Heavies/Assaults going up against Lights.

Why?

Because I saw it a lot in MW4 online.

It was bound to happen.

All I can say is; don't get too bent out of shape over it. Its a valid tactic to win a 1v1 VS a Light. Swap up to something else if all you are seeing is wall-huggers. Maybe a fast Medium with JJ's?

#48 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:18 AM

Not talking about assaults, even though I am sure they are doing the same thing.

I am talking about 65 and 70 ton mechs that can easily keep a light from their 6 by just knowing how to back and turn. Even the phract can keep a locust from behind him if he knows how to pilot. The problem is most pilots just sit there and try to twist.

Hmmm wonder if this tactic would be considered non participation.

I mean lets look at it. 1 player is actively trying to engage. 1 player is just sitting there doing nothing.

Seems like it to me.

Nope.

Is he actively avoiding being shot? Nope. You know right where he is. He can't outrun you, you're faster, so he's not exploiting a terrain feature to prevent combat.

He's just making a killbox and waiting for you to enter it. As the light who can engage at will (or run at will), the nonparticipation award goes to the light here, if anyone. Nothing is preventing you from doing so, other than a desire not to die.

Strangely, this seems to be what gets people reported for nonparticipation in QP/FP. Not wanting to die and despite superior mobility, refusing to actually engage the opponent because they have the advantage.

#49 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

How is the light 'actively trying to engage' when it refuses to go where the heavy went? You're both balking for the exact same reason...the other guy is in advantageous terrain.

#50 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Hi. Boogie man here, did someone call for me.....BWAH HA HA HA HA

#51 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

And your use of pillar humping was just deplorable.
Stand out in the open and take it like a real Assault Mech.

#52 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

View PostGBxGhostRyder, on 19 April 2018 - 08:08 AM, said:

Solaris is total garbage and has proved lights are way OP and once again PGI has Zcrewed the pooch on implementation of this game mode.

I would love to know your basis for this

View PostBrain Cancer, on 19 April 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

Nope.

Is he actively avoiding being shot? Nope. You know right where he is. He can't outrun you, you're faster, so he's not exploiting a terrain feature to prevent combat.

He's just making a killbox and waiting for you to enter it. As the light who can engage at will (or run at will), the nonparticipation award goes to the light here, if anyone. Nothing is preventing you from doing so, other than a desire not to die.

Strangely, this seems to be what gets people reported for nonparticipation in QP/FP. Not wanting to die and despite superior mobility, refusing to actually engage the opponent because they have the advantage.

He is hiding.... that is all he is doing.... dress it up all you want.

View PostJames Argent, on 19 April 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

How is the light 'actively trying to engage' when it refuses to go where the heavy went? You're both balking for the exact same reason...the other guy is in advantageous terrain.

So oh master of strategy and tactics please explain to me how a light can fight a heavy in a corner which can one shot him, with no avenues of approach other than the front and I have to do almost 10 times the amount of damage to him that he has to do to me.

#53 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 19 April 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

So oh master of strategy and tactics please explain to me how a light can fight a heavy in a corner which can one shot him, with no avenues of approach other than the front and I have to do almost 10 times the amount of damage to him that he has to do to me.

How is the heavy supposed to fight out in the open with an ankle-biting light his weapons physically cannot reach? You only blame the other guy but you're both doing the exact same thing.

#54 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

so basically, you, OP, are frustrated that the opponent(s) don't play into your strength?

just move in front of that rifleman or whatever and stand-still. maybe then he'll return the favor and not sit in a corner..

somebody has a really strange view of "how to play" ;)

#55 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

View PostJames Argent, on 19 April 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

How is the heavy supposed to fight out in the open with an ankle-biting light his weapons physically cannot reach? You only blame the other guy but you're both doing the exact same thing.

Actually in the div he is playing in the CTF has such low arms even the LCT will be hit by them if he is in front of it at all. Also the RFL doesn't have too bad a time either. The CTF doesn't turn that well though.

#56 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

Ummm correct me if I am wrong but the mech in question has all its ballistic points in the ARMS.. In fact most heavies and assaults have weapon points in the arm. They just choose not to use them and use them as shields and then when a light bites them come complaining unto the forms because their torso mounted weapons can not reach them......

Sound familiar?

View PostGhogiel, on 19 April 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

Actually in the div he is playing in the CTF has such low arms even the LCT will be hit by them if he is in front of it at all. Also the RFL doesn't have too bad a time either. The CTF doesn't turn that well though.

The multiple Rifleman in my division have no problem hitting anything close to them.

Edited by Darian DelFord, 19 April 2018 - 08:56 AM.

#57 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:59 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 19 April 2018 - 08:57 AM, said:

The multiple Rifleman in my division have no problem hitting anything close to them.

I know all about playing lights in that div.

#58 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:59 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 19 April 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

so basically, you, OP, are frustrated that the opponent(s) don't play into your strength?

just move in front of that rifleman or whatever and stand-still. maybe then he'll return the favor and not sit in a corner..

somebody has a really strange view of "how to play" Posted Image

Nah its not that at all. I have no problem with, the mech being injured or legged or crippled trying to back into a wall. I have a problem with non damaged mechs running straight for the corner and basically sitting there scared to come out. I honestly think that cut scene has a lot to do with it. I wonder what would happen if you did not know who you were facing?

The one or two phracts who have come out and played have actually beat me. When you turn and back properly a mech will not stay out of your LOS. The problem is most heavies only try to twist instead of backing and twisting.

Edited by Darian DelFord, 19 April 2018 - 09:00 AM.

#59 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 19 April 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

I know all about playing lights in that div.

How the hell that put a 70 ton mech in that division is beyond me and that is really the issue.

#60 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,664 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:06 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 19 April 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

I would love to know your basis for this

He is hiding.... that is all he is doing.... dress it up all you want.

snip...

You are funny... Point of the thread is your attempt to tell others they are chicken **** when they do not stand out in the OPEN while piloting a heavier, slower mech than you that would allow your light to dance AROUND said mech. And how is he hiding if you know where he is at...? He is taking up a defensive position as he does not have SPEED, lag, etc to reduce the likelihood of being hit by incoming fire.

Carry on purple chicken... Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 April 2018 - 09:07 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users