61 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

Well, three players have not immediately legged my Bushwhacker so far, but the other 8 went straight for the legs. Most were in Merc Units, shame shame. My Bushwhacker has 70 points of armor in each leg and all the structure the Skill tree can add, but of course can't withstand repeated alpha-strikes. I will say the leggers did not always win, but it's a logical strategy for those with bad aim and bad skills.

I never leg because I think it ruins the game, even with Lights I aim for the torso.

Legging is certainly a combat strategy of MechWarrior, but if you do leg right from the start I will show you no honor, you deserve none.

#2 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

For some mechs you have to leg them to have a high chance of coming through. Lights VS Mediums in the lower tiers have to rely on denying their opponents mobility to have a chance. Especially when 1 hit can spell your doom.

Its annoying, and can be frustrating to fight against; but a lot of Light pilots generally have to in Div7-6.

Not to mention as a Raven pilot I am always having my legs targeted anyway, first and always. Gotten very used too it.

#3 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

I can understand Lights doing this, but I would be aiming for something more important myself. These were all heavy mechs though, usually Archers and Warhammers. The Jenner I fought did not aim at the legs.

#4 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 23 April 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

I can understand Lights doing this, but I would be aiming for something more important myself. These were all heavy mechs though, usually Archers and Warhammers. The Jenner I fought did not aim at the legs.

Yeah, if a Heavy/Assault is doing it, their doing it to gain a quick advantage on you. When in my AWS, I always try to core/XL check over legging. Its just not efficient to leg when you can just core them in general even. Legging though has become the fad to give an 'advantage' quickly if you have a high damage alpha. Which is exactly what people are aiming for.

#5 KevinRenner

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

D-3 too.

When I am in a 65 ton mech and face assaults, I leg.

#6 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:57 PM

I typically aim for CT as a priority, but if my first few volleys happen to change my opponent's legs a darker shade of orange or red than their torsos, you can bet my follow up shots are going to be at their legs.

I can't honestly see why you're upset though. As you said, folks prioritizing your legs as a target from the outset of any given engagement are putting themselves at a disadvantage if your legs are fully armored. It's worth noting that you need to pay enough attention to realize when someone is doing so, and to turn your legs appropriately to shield your good leg. Doing so, you can almost always ensure a win, since they already have to do more damage to your legs in total than you must do to their CT, assuming all else is equal. The added problem of needing to dodge your dead leg to finish you off puts them at a substantial loss of total effective HP.

The one exception to this for me would be very fast Lights, because their legs are already pretty delicate, and sometimes even easier to hit than torsos. Fortunately for me, the lightest opponent I've seen thus far in all Divisions was an ACW-1, in Division 1.

Edited by Throe, 23 April 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#7 Adamski

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:03 PM

If they are a much faster / more mobile mech, I will frequently collect a single leg, then go for the torso kill.

If they force me to chase them around the arena to the point where both of their legs are stripped of armor before I manage to take one, then I will go for the double leg.

Anything that is close to my speed / mobility will just be a torso race.

#8 eliminster

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 33 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

its across the board with the unhonorable legging. Ive experienced it in D2-D7, I can understand taking one out to immobilize a quick opponent but going straight for the legs is a dishonorable tactic as most legs are larger hitboxes than a assaults torso even on medium mechs.

#9 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:24 PM

It even happens in D1, had an Annihilator legging my Nightstar. Dunno even why.

On the other hand I never had issues with with legging in Div4.

#10 Golm

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:57 AM

I legged you because it works. I won 85% of my Div 1 games last night that way. Of course, Lurm God owned me.

I kind of giggle at your "Honour" ideas. It's a game, it's trying to be competitive. The idea is to win.
If we had a Role Play server - I would totally agree with not legging.

#11 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:29 AM

Well thing is, you are playing a bushwaker. A bushwaker got extremly strong hitboxes (its hard to focus the ct, lt or rt), its probably the tankiest (most tanky?) medium mech of all. Like the marauder of the mediums. So to win against a bushwaker (as long as you are not piloting an assault mech), you should destroy his legs. Its actually pretty common.

Also: There is nothing "unfair" about focussing legs. Solaris is about to win. The bushwaker is a very strong mech. Opponents need every chance they can get against it.

Uh and almost forgot. You can try to shield your last leg with the destroyed one. Its not like a kind of "twisting" is impossible when the enemy is focussing your leg. And also:

In every mech the leg is the second strongest component of all (after CT). So destroying both of them takes some time. Its not like you dont carry any weapons around do you? So aim well and desytroy his ct before he destroys your legs. You dont need to do as much damage as he has to

Edited by Archie4Strings, 24 April 2018 - 06:33 AM.

#12 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

hah hah yes, Honor. The saying is, "You dirty Legger!", response, "You have no Legs".

However, legging from the start shows you are bad at aiming and piloting and only care about winning. Unfortunately the Bushwhacker's legs are too big to miss so 70 points of armor does very little to protect them. The CT is not hard to hit, it's just that the side torsos are too big to miss also. I don't see many players miss the CT on the Bushwhacker at Solaris 7 ranges in any event, so if you aim for the Legs from the beginning it's a reflection of your character. That you Fear to lose. That you would stoop to any level to win. That you have no Honor. The dishonorable have places in the MechWarrior universe to be sure.

This just has to be said because if we all were Leggers there would be little roleplay value to MWO or Solaris 7 and player populations would drop and be less than they could be. But it is a tactic used by the unskilled and dishonorable, so go ahead, make my day.

#13 KevinRenner

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 24 April 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

hah hah yes, Honor. The saying is, "You dirty Legger!", response, "You have no Legs".
. But it is a tactic used by the unskilled and dishonorable, so go ahead, make my day.

This is a bad argument. It is the same argument people have in CW about objective rushing yet all the snowflakes get to cry that it is a valid tactic. I would think that a guy with your stats would support legging?

#14 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

1) There's a reason your legs have armor on them.
2) "All is fair in love and war."
3) This isn't boxing.
4) Even if it was, the rule in boxing is, "No hits below the belt", and 'Mechs don't have belts.

#15 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

I usually try to leg smaller mechs.

For example with Nova you see both 100 ton mechs as well as lights. It can deal all and get killed by most, too. Of course it depends on weapons too but there's no way in hell I want to be within firing range and sight of a 100 ton mech trying to shoots it's legs, when I'm already at such a huge disadvantage. I want to fire huge alpha to CT when the assult is coming behind corner at 80% of my max range and then run away until the assult doesn't anymore see me in any way.

If I see torso mounted gauss rifles then of course I will try to hit them. I can suck on so many different levels but I'm still doing my very best trying to win with whatever I have.

What is somewhat displeasing, when your enemy is disaproving you when they have like 40 tons more of a mech.

I can understand disaproval if I would fight with LBX50 Annihilator againts Urbie.(just an example, probably they are on different divisions) But if I'm fighting these 100 ton Atlases with a Nova, or Zeuses with huge health quirks with a Jenner IIC, then please, save it.

#16 Hexeter

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:18 PM

Also a Raven Pilot here, I survive by being quick, if you are a Medium or Higher I am going to be aiming at your Legs if I can't drill a hole in your Rear Armour. If I can make you Slower than normal I am going to do it, every, single, time. Because if I take a hit from your big *** Compensation Cannon it blows right through me. Especially in a 1 v 1 or 2 v 2 Arena match I usually Partner with a Centurion and in 90% of our engagements I am immediately Focused on so I NEED you to be slower in these tiny little Arenas.

In any other Format I will be sniping at your juicy bits, but not in Solaris.

#17 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

To quote the best response I've seen about "dishonourable legging" ;

View Postsharknoise, on 21 April 2018 - 02:31 AM, said:

What honor, what are you taking about? You are just a bloodthirsty murderer. Shooting both legs off makes an enemy mech fall down, but the pilot safely ejects. Shooting CT leads to an engine explosion, this is how you kill the pilot. Killing is more honorable? What twisted notion of honor is this? We are all brothers in the Solaris arena, why do you have to kill your fellow gladiators? Are C-Bills given for a win not enough for you unless sprayed with blood? Stop arguing against legging, the most humane way to end a fight. Stop committing the most horrible sin under the guise of honor. Ask forgiveness for those you murdered. Repent! Otherwise you are going to burn in Hell for your senseless slaughter.

So enjoy your dishonourable pilot murder, I guess? Or is this just a game and there is no honour at stake? You decide...

#18 Mechsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 454 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

The fix is too easy here. In Solaris 7 win by legging could come with major elo and rewards penalties vs a non legging win. 2 leg win would be dishonorable and therefore become a negative. Problem solved.

#19 KevinRenner

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

View PostMechsniper, on 24 April 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

The fix is too easy here. In Solaris 7 win by legging could come with major elo and rewards penalties vs a non legging win. 2 leg win would be dishonorable and therefore become a negative. Problem solved.

Problem isn't solved when 65 toners are going against 100 toners...and wow, looking at your stats too how can you be against this?

Edited by KevinRenner, 24 April 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#20 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 24 April 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

To quote the best response I've seen about "dishonourable legging" ;

So enjoy your dishonourable pilot murder, I guess? Or is this just a game and there is no honour at stake? You decide...

The engine explodes only in Stackpoleland.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users