So Who Is Still Playing Solaris? Why Or Why Not?

Gameplay

102 replies to this topic

#21 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 04 May 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

I was pleasantly surprised with Solaris. The fundamental issues are still there - it's a potato farm and inevitably everyone who isn't really good at it will get ground out of it. We may already be at that point. However the setting, voice acting, maps, map voting, the UI, I really enjoyed all of it.

It's the map voting that is killing it for me. The tiny maps are not helping either. To top it off, I got sick for a week.

For now it's back to The Division and War Thunder (gotta justify that Samsung HMD Odyssey Posted Image) until I need a break from them.

Edited by Mystere, 04 May 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#22 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:06 PM

really depends on whats going on. ive spent a lot of time in fp trying to score mech bays from the new factions and there is a qp event on. so not as much right now. if i complete that stuff and still feel like playing i will drop in solaris and try to grind caches. and ive been getting a lot of nice things from caches.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 May 2018 - 09:08 PM.

#23 Darth Hotz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 459 posts
  • LocationOuter Rim of Berlin

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

I do and I like it.

But the matchmaker seems to be collapsing already. I played vs 0.17 w/l ratios and next I get Lurm God (lost) then another 0.5 w/l and next was El Bandito (win, yeahhhhhhhh).

So forget about elo, at european times you can be happy to find an enemy at all.

#24 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

I split my time between Solaris and Battletech atm.

#25 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

It's better, than QP. It's about fast matches, so even if you lose - this loss isn't so painful, as in QP. At least it has proper matchmaking. Yea, top players abuse cookie-cutter OP Meta 'Mechs/builds, like Annihilator and Kodiak (inspect several top players and you'll see it) and I play my ordinal just-for-fun 'Mechs/builds, like STD engine Atlas (yeah, IS ST death penalty - is even bigger limiting factor in S7, than in QP), but I don't really care. I float around 1400 rating, that is Tier 4 equivalent. My current W/L is < 1. Only bad thing. Same, as with QP - too few casual players play this game. Not enough players in queues, at least at my rating.

#26 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:37 PM

Ahem

#27 _Casper_

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:51 PM

View PostImperius, on 04 May 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

Personally didn’t touch it and don’t ever plan do do so. I think it’s implementation was a mistake. The new user experience and MWO’s core foundation needs to be rebuilt before we keep adding features to old dead engine.

I had the same attitude towards S7 since they announced it and never understood why PGI decided to put S7 into the game. S7 might have been a nice little addition a few years ago but at this point of development i think it was pretty obvious that it will not make a signifikant number of new players play MWO or make the veterans play it in the long term. Everybody who wanted to could play 1v1 and 2v2 in the lobby for years.

But well....i gave it a try and think the mode is well done on the whole (except the bucket solution for example). But i am convinced it is just something MWO really did not need. In my opinion 1v1 and 2v2 gameplay gets boring very quickly. That is why i stopped playing S7 after a few rounds and will probably never ever touch it again. I hope we will see new maps for QP and FP, an overhaul of the skilltree, a new concept for FP (#makeunitsmeaningfullagain) and stuff like that in the near future.

Edited by _Casper_, 04 May 2018 - 11:52 PM.

#28 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:06 AM

I never liked, and I still don't like 1vs1, with only a few useful weapons and no tactic like flanking, sniping, etc.

But I played S7 a lot in the first week, because imo PGI did very very well.

Anyway, 1vs1 became ultra hyper boring, it's always the same.
I cannot get how many ppl have hundredrs and hundreds of those 1vs1 micro drops!!! LOL

From April 24th, I cannot stop playing Battletech.
I came back to mwo yesterday....and the uav day has been terrible....with ppl running to enemies to drop the uav, and dying horribly. I did 3 matches, and came back to Battletech happily. Which also has multiplayer :)

#29 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:33 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 05 May 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

I never liked, and I still don't like 1vs1, with only a few useful weapons and no tactic like flanking, sniping, etc.

But I played S7 a lot in the first week, because imo PGI did very very well.

Anyway, 1vs1 became ultra hyper boring, it's always the same.
I cannot get how many ppl have hundredrs and hundreds of those 1vs1 micro drops!!! LOL

From April 24th, I cannot stop playing Battletech.
I came back to mwo yesterday....and the uav day has been terrible....with ppl running to enemies to drop the uav, and dying horribly. I did 3 matches, and came back to Battletech happily. Which also has multiplayer Posted Image

Same here.

Theres no variety to tactics. Got boring really quickly. Maps are just way too tiny. Not a lot of room to break los and to surprise bigger mechs so it heavily favors direct brawls which just gets boring if its always the same.

But thats kinda what I expected. That maps will be bad and massively reduce the number of valid playstyles. Too one dimensional.

#30 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:03 AM

View PostLowSubmarino, on 05 May 2018 - 12:33 AM, said:

Same here.

Theres no variety to tactics. Got boring really quickly. Maps are just way too tiny. Not a lot of room to break los and to surprise bigger mechs so it heavily favors direct brawls which just gets boring if its always the same.

But thats kinda what I expected. That maps will be bad and massively reduce the number of valid playstyles. Too one dimensional.

Just vote out Boreal and Jungle. The rest have decent amount of obstacles to break LoS.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 May 2018 - 01:14 AM.

#31 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:26 AM

I do play Solaris, and I prefer 2v2. Granted, I haven't played it a lot, but I've definitely gotten my feet wet..... and I enjoy it somewhat.....on that note.....

We already had Solaris. Private Lobbies. Hell, we even had the arena map in there. With the exception of Caves, the other maps can easily have been chopped off of existing maps, as there are large chunks of our maps that are inaccessible during normal gameplay .... Boreal from Frozen City, Jungle from Forest Colony......Factory from Mining.....
So, I'm going to guess not a lot of time and/or $$ were spent on mapping....Caves is the one unique map, which I like by the way. I know, weird.

Basically, for Solaris, we got a second UI, a ranking system, a Spectator system, and Bolt Ons.

Personally, to me:
The UI portion is too busy. But it works.
I haven't found a single match to spectate yet. The scroll down list has been empty since inception.
Bolt Ons, Strap Ons, I could care less about.

It's looking to me, like a chance was taken that S7 was going to be a widely liked money sink. Just watching a few Twitch streams, I saw people spending 50 million Cbills tweaking mechs for S7, spending MC, buying mechs. I even thought about buying a couple, then the sound of squealing brakes ensued......I didn't want to re-dedicate my mechs from QP/FP to S7, like a lot of people did, as the Meta is way different in many cases. And as I have about a hundred Mechs, I feel I have enough Mechs. So, no way was I going to buy MORE Mechs for S7, as a lot of people did. When am I going to play a hundred mechs?

Watch those Twitch streams now, S7 not so popular, and no more Cbills/MC being dumped......less matches, ok, back to QP Yolodrops, Group Q, and FP.

The damn queue is already a ghost town. Thursday evening, 7pm EST, S7 Solo queue: 7 people in queue across all 7 divisions. No spectate available.

I don't care for the fact it's all about 2 or so mechs in each division, unless you want to pop a blood vessel for each and every match.

Maps are essentially too shallow... it's all about run to X, shoot shoot shooty shoot 'til someone is dead. Maps should have been bigger, more cover areas.

Long time base issues show up in S7. Assassins (and other mechs) with JJ spam = heh can't touch me bro

So, on the sidelines looking in, I don't see S7 being all what I think was hoped for. Like FP I guess.....

Edited by Ensaine, 05 May 2018 - 03:27 AM.

#32 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

Well hopefully someone at PGI reads this. How much longer until MWO gets the engine upgrade and new player experience updates it really needs. Maybe come this Dec at MechCon 2018 with the launch of MW5 we will get that good news. I’ve got my vacation put in and I’ll be there.

I think PGI could have done more for less and better with a more stable and functional engine like Unreal 4.

Thanks everyone for the feedback keep it coming I’m glad to see it’s for the most part constructive.

View PostPapaspud, on 05 May 2018 - 02:02 AM, said:

I was really hopeful when the s7 update came out that somehow it would be an improvement to the MWO base game, bring in new and old players, but I was sadly mistaken. I knew I wouldn't like 1v1 -I'm an old guy not that fast......but I also knew many people would enjoy the 1v1 action- that's great rock on.

Instead I see the worst case scenario playing out, ques are divided so much that it seems like gameplay is suffering everywhere..... people are no longer playing. Is this due to battletech, probably quite a bit, but right now solo que- you know the game mode that has paid the bills for 6 years- has turned to poo. I am rated tier1- though I am really maybe tier2 1/2- yet most games 1/2 my team- or more- is tier 5 or less, seriously these guys have no idea, game play is horrendous. I don't play s7, but reading the comments about getting matches- it sounds like it is pretty much DOA.

To top that off, the unit that I have belonged to for 6 years has pretty much disappeared from action, went from 10-20 guys on any given night to 0.

I am worried that PGI has dealt the final deathblow to MWO.

Why didn't they put the resources into QP- you know new maps, maybe a little more nimble weapons balance- new weapons- fix some of the modes.... but nope we keep getting stuff that a few vocal players clamor for, and everybody else- oh well.

I hope after everybody gets done with the campaign on bt they will come back, but it isn't looking good right now.

From an avid MWO fan, I would have thought they learned from the 3rd person debacle.... but nope they will never learn-PGI- we are on an island &quot; damn the players&quot;!

Sad sad potato

I made a thread about this. I guess I’ll quote you here for feedback.

Edited by Imperius, 05 May 2018 - 05:28 AM.

#33 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

Meh.

Had a few good matches which went back and forth.
That aside, it's mostly best computer + best connection + meta + lucky matchup = guaranteed win.

Certain division choices being extreme outliers in terms of performance doesn't help the mode.

As for maps...
  • Liao Jungle kills my FPS completely.
  • Factory is good. Might as well be the second best map.
  • Had a total of two matches on boreal so far and vote this out ever since because lack of cover. Hills behind the spawn being climbable and high enough to fire over the whole map makes this the worst map. Could really use some more cover.
  • Ishiyama is ok. Could use a tunnel that crosses from one corner to the opposite corner without any other connection to the rest of the map. Or some more verticality.
  • Middle hill on Steiner coliseum could be a little higher, other than that it might be the best map.
Since it's not a good mode for gaining xp and c-bills (in fact, running underskilled mechs is suicide), the best patron is the accolades one since it gives you a currency you cannot gain via other modes. Don't make the mistake I made or you'll be stuck with an inferior patron for weeks.

Edited by Exilyth, 05 May 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#34 Jettrik Ryflix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

I am thoroughly enjoying Solaris.

The disappointing thing is how many players flock to "meta" (read: AC2/5 spam) just to farm matches.

I am finding enjoyment in trying to counter the meta. Beating copycat Annihilators, Kodiaks, King Crabs, and Jaegermechs is really satisfying.

Group is more fun than solo, but it's hard to find matches there. :(

#35 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:06 PM

OP it is what it is

that is back in 2014 or whatever time it was things where going pretty good and PGI was looking for features they
might add to MWO
so Solaris 7 got put on the list of future projects
they spent a reasonable amount of time on features and other improvements
and they finally got down to this item on there list
it just took this long to finish up Solaris 7

I think it is a good idea but not for me

I will not play the mode, PGI has been using me as canon fodder for the last 4 years and there is only so much
a person can take
if I dropped S7 I would just be a target (hey I am already a target in FP/QP)
if you watch the masters challenge 99% of the time the master wins
and so it is what it is

GLHF

#36 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

I would be playing it a lot more, but PGI removed 32-bit support, so no more laptop throughout the day for me. I have to wait until evening for a dedicated gaming session on my real rig, and that's usually occupied by MRBC and unit practice, so no room for Solaris, which means I'm just one more guy not filling the queues. =[

#37 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:00 AM

If I'm playing solo, no significant other or group buddies, I prefer to play Solaris to QP..

I find it fun, the matches are close and exciting, there is virtually no toxicity, and even though LRM's are non-existant, I find it good practice of my Zellbrigen and brawling skills..

#38 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:30 AM

The problem with Solaris is if a person in a brawl mech fights another person in a brawl mech, they will both probably have an enjoyable fight. However, the problem happens when people decide to go poke/snipe against brawl. Now, I am not crying or complaining. I was about 50/50 on wins and losses against poke/snipe mechs in my time in Solaris. That is a fine playstyle and if you choose to play that way, that is completely fine. However, I am also allowed to choose whether I fight in Solaris, and since I don't enjoy 12-15 minute poke fests, I choose not to fight in Solaris. If you could somehow force brawl vs brawl, or poke vs poke, that would make for a more interesting game mode, at least for me.

Edited by Mortalcoil, 07 May 2018 - 03:31 AM.

#39 Captain Wolfsburg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:31 AM

My problem with Solaris is that it's dominated by high alpha meta-builds. There's almost no room for tactical play. The Divisions mix different weight classes that are supposed to be balanced, but more often than not the bigger, more heavily armed mech wins the match. I've enjoyed Solaris to some degree, but if you're not playing the meta, you're not getting anywhere unless you're a god-level pilot. I've tried piloting lights, and stealth builds, but I just can't deal enough damage in 10 min to knock my opponent out, resulting in ties and no points.

Solaris either needs to be restructured into weight classes, or they need to change the win conditions so if you're both still alive the highest damage dealer wins. That would make light, stealthy builds more viable and heavily armored meta-builds more challenging to pilot. You top-tier players can't tell me you aren't a little bored just constantly swatting everyone and everything that challenges you.

#40 Fat Target

Rookie

• The Pest
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:04 AM

The first wo nights I played Solaris I really enjoyed it. I saw a lot of build diversity and had fun even when I lost. After a few days I just saw myself going up against the same builds over and over. This killed the fun for me, I probably will only be back sporadically when they change up the divisions every month.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users