So Who Is Still Playing Solaris? Why Or Why Not?

Gameplay

102 replies to this topic

#41 Thoummim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:14 AM

I wanted a solaris mode but what I expected was a mechwarrior 4 style solaris (I dont know how its supposed to be in the regular lore). With weight class and it being a free for all with a good number of mech.

I'm kind of mixed about this implementation, on one hand I like the fact that its 1v1 (I'd still like to have a free for all mode) it make the matches really fun for me. On the other the lack of weight classes mean I cant play a medium or a light, you can get some result in an heavy but it can get really difficult to overcome when you start with a 30t deficit.

I dont really enjoy duel in assault mech or heavy, so I'll wait until there is weight class or when the division will start to make sence.

#42 SHIN BRODAMA

• PipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • 67 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:43 AM

Solaris has been the most fun i've had in this game in a loooooong time... but the queues are deserted now. 2v2 particularly. I'm hoping the shine of battletech wears off and people come back to the mode, but I don't really expect this to happen.

#43 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

So, I've been mostly absent from MWO for a long while now (8+ months maybe?). I pop into the forums a few times each month to see how things are going, but there's something I've been wondering...

Back when I was "into" MWO and listening to podcasts and reading up on the Town Halls (remember those? Do they still do them?), Russ would always say that splitting the buckets was a non-option as they just didn't have the player numbers to pull that off.

So...what changed then? If splitting the playerbase was a no-no, then why did they create Solaris 7? I'm not saying the S7 concept is a BAD idea. In fact, if my buddy was still playing, I suspect the 2v2 mode would be our bread and butter. But by adding this to the game, didn't they just make another TWO buckets (1v1 & 2v2)? This seems to contradict what Russ always said was a non-option whenever he would discuss plans/ideas/game modes for MWO.

In short: Why the change of heart on this topic and where (if anywhere) was this brought up/mentioned?

#44 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

I love 2 player Solaris, just wish there were more people in it. Too many buckets I suppose.

#45 Rat of the Legion Vega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostFat Target, on 07 May 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

After a few days I just saw myself going up against the same builds over and over. This killed the fun for me, I probably will only be back sporadically when they change up the divisions every month.

Unfortunately, they only plan on changing it once every three months. Which is ridiculous.

#46 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:51 PM

View PostCaptain Wolfsburg, on 07 May 2018 - 05:31 AM, said:

My problem with Solaris is that it's dominated by high alpha meta-builds. There's almost no room for tactical play. The Divisions mix different weight classes that are supposed to be balanced, but more often than not the bigger, more heavily armed mech wins the match. I've enjoyed Solaris to some degree, but if you're not playing the meta, you're not getting anywhere unless you're a god-level pilot. I've tried piloting lights, and stealth builds, but I just can't deal enough damage in 10 min to knock my opponent out, resulting in ties and no points.

Solaris either needs to be restructured into weight classes, or they need to change the win conditions so if you're both still alive the highest damage dealer wins. That would make light, stealthy builds more viable and heavily armored meta-builds more challenging to pilot. You top-tier players can't tell me you aren't a little bored just constantly swatting everyone and everything that challenges you.

Winning in high alpha meta builds is tactical. Hugely tactical. For example in Div 1 - people think it's just two Annis walking at each other shooting. That may be true if both players are bad. In matches among skilled players though it's incredibly tactical. Positioning is what wins the match before the first shot is fired.

Tactics happens before the match starts. Stealth builds and what people tend to think are 'strategic' in MWO are not tactical or strategic. They are functionally inferior at winning matches. They function only because someone else is carrying you. They are both tactically and strategically inferior because they reduce your teams available armor and firepower in any concentrated use on the gamble that the other team is bad enough to let you pick someone off in an otherwise weak mech.

That's fine, that's what QP is for. Farming bads and either carrying (which is largely taking something similar to what wins in Solaris) or being carried.

Take a look at comp play. It's the most strategic and tactical gameplay in MWO by a huge stretch. It hangs on mech choice and positioning as much as accuracy and player skill in a lot of ways.

Play what you want and have fun. If Solaris isn't fun for you, that's absolutely cool. Sounds like QP is a better match for what you enjoy. However trying to call that more 'tactical' or 'strategic' just isn't true.

#47 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

Having trouble getting consistent matches in my favorite division :/

It's mostly Div1/2 most days.

#48 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:50 PM

Bump

#49 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:44 AM

Never played it - was watching the Solaris Launch while looking for Battletech and did some MWO QP matches to refine my QP Skilltree.

Later i was on vacation and played no Computergames at all - now my focus is on Battletech.

Would i play Solaris? Maybe if i find a Mech i like that works for Solaris which did not happen so far at a first glance over the Mech-Store.

Do i care? Only in a way that i want MWO stay around for a while longer...MW5 has significantly more of my Attention!

#50 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:10 AM

View PostSHIN BRODAMA, on 07 May 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

Solaris has been the most fun i've had in this game in a loooooong time... but the queues are deserted now.

Really? Well, that didn't took long.

#51 Martallica

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

Love'n it , needs a battle royal 8v8 10v10 last man standing kind of thing tho.

#52 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:16 AM

I tried yesterday I had to wait 3 cycles for a round in Div5 US primetime. The whole time only 3 people max showed up in queue. I watched it for 3 full cycles, during that time if there actually were more people in queue I would have seen them cycle out of their current match and show up in queue.

Nope...3 people max.

#53 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

I have zero interest in solaris. It was the team aspect that got me to play the game. CW when it finally got added after around 3-4 years was fun. I ran for 2 years nightly with the warpigs and they disbanded due to pgi 'improving' cw with things like long tom as well as general loss of interest from unit members. A few of us tried to reform the unit but we aren't going to do cw much. Mostly group drops and random private matches for the fun.

I get plenty of 1 vs number in qp when playing my light mechs. Often it seems i'm solo-ing all of enemy alpha lance on conquest or fighting them for a cell on dom mode. Seems there isn't that many of the e-sports come at me bro types from what I've read of the game mode and it's mostly those who like to brawl are the ones having any fun with the mode. GG I guess. I'd rather be a scout or fire support second liner helping to win a hard fought match with an end score of 8-12 or really close in kill count. Not some 3-12 bs, that's just an easy win for one team.

At least I have a perfect 0-0 record in solaris until I actually play a match in it. I do like the new intro animation though. Music riff at the end nails it.

#54 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

Its unbalanced. Firepower and internal armor with ~80+ alpha wins every game.
Ignore overheat, kill fast.

For me it's like a copy of world of warcraft arena with mechs... :(

Edited by Quandoo, 11 May 2018 - 08:36 AM.

#55 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

Loving Solaris, not having trouble getting constant action, it isn't always in my favorite division, but I seldom wait more than 2 minutes between matches if I want constant action.... way faster than quick play, no waiting for matches to end, no endless searching... just lots of carnage.

The 2v2 I see less action, but we keep an eye in it while honing our skills on our opponents, when we see anyone in that queue, sometimes takes a minute to grab a partner and queue with them, but it does happen.

Maybe folks could realise this, rather than get their butt kicked a handful of times and knock it...

But I guess that's the way with lots of 1v1 stuff, like Wrestling or Boxing. You often lose a lot before you get good. People that can't handle this don't stick around, others like the adrenaline rush, especially when everyone's watching and get a taste (addiction) to it...

I think PGI has done a great job with this and look forward to much, much more.

-Dart

Unbalanced!?!?! Get better! And yeah, whatever the variables, something's going to emerge as best...

This is 1v1 PVP, it isn't nice, it's unforgiving.

Mechs are a part of it, so is experience and skill. As it should be. I swear, I don't know what some people complain about... Like we should stand still and let them shoot us, only in the mech they want us to use. Give me a break.

-Dart

#56 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

View PostSuko, on 07 May 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

So, I've been mostly absent from MWO for a long while now (8+ months maybe?). I pop into the forums a few times each month to see how things are going, but there's something I've been wondering...

Back when I was "into" MWO and listening to podcasts and reading up on the Town Halls (remember those? Do they still do them?), Russ would always say that splitting the buckets was a non-option as they just didn't have the player numbers to pull that off.

So...what changed then? If splitting the playerbase was a no-no, then why did they create Solaris 7? I'm not saying the S7 concept is a BAD idea. In fact, if my buddy was still playing, I suspect the 2v2 mode would be our bread and butter. But by adding this to the game, didn't they just make another TWO buckets (1v1 & 2v2)? This seems to contradict what Russ always said was a non-option whenever he would discuss plans/ideas/game modes for MWO.

In short: Why the change of heart on this topic and where (if anywhere) was this brought up/mentioned?

Money.

The games become stale and dull, ever since the Kodiak came out the balance has been buggered to hell and back, the new tech made it worse. the skill tree was a screw up, which didn't fix the balance issues, as most people except P.G.I apparently, knew it wouldn't.

Trying to balance 1v1 and 2v2 is about the capability of P.G.I if they limit the mech pool, so Russ threw in with Solaris hoping everyone would come back and play, he almost begged for this on a pod cast, and everyone would quit FP and QP and have a jolly good time with the flag ship mode.

It back fired.

#57 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

Tried it for a few days. Didn't like it. I didn't agree with the idea that radically different weight classes of mechs were being matched against each other. People who play heavies or assaults can already get leg humped by a locust or commando in quick drops. There are times when players drop in a certain weight class of mech and would like (and expect) to be challenged against a player of a similar weight class.

#58 Smooky the husky

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:33 AM

Me i not playing that new maps cause many of time of lose and some time i got stuck inside the building and cant not moving . or when people block your ways to small for heavy mech that maps so i only quieting same if people report me and screaming to call me a jerk . but i'm very competitive to all other maps just the forest i cant do much cause cheater do put transparent maps forest and see all mech coming : ( so yeah whatever . but all maps im fine with it but not for Solaris one on qk play. but fps droop a little my computer oh well

Edited by Smooky the husky, 24 May 2018 - 03:35 AM.

#59 Destabilizator

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

It feels more like out of place game in a game (kinda like the Chinese games with bazillion of minigames)... It feels really sad that there was so much development spend on this side feature (that's what it really is).

They should've just gone with 1 mediocre arena so the 1v1/2v2 eager could get their fix, maybe a leaderboard, but focus rest of the effort in core and FW.

#60 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:53 AM

I tried it once and I still don’t like it. Solaris is really not my cup of tea. While I’m happy they got George to reprise his role as Duncan and give a slot for 1v1 and 2v2 modes, it’s not a gamemode I’m not willing to sink my teeth into regardless of the lootcrates and maps they have. I’d rather have FP reworked or improved instead of Solaris.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users