Radar Dep Needs To Be Removed Or Replaced With Something Else

108 replies to this topic

#21 Flutterguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

Ok, since you've clarified your original post. Are you sure you aren't getting Radar Deprivation confused with ECM? Radar Deprivation doesn't increase lock-on times but ECM does.

#22 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

View PostFlutterguy, on 24 May 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

Ok, since you've clarified your original post. Are you sure you aren't getting Radar Deprivation confused with ECM? Radar Deprivation doesn't increase lock-on times but ECM does.

I'm positive, in many of my fights there's lights (under 30 including the urbanmech) without ECM and it was near impossible to get a lock on under 10 seconds...I try to get a lock on and they just act like nothing happened.
there's no ECM mech around either...

Edited by Armored Yokai, 24 May 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#23 SuperMCDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 131 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:41 PM

Yep. Target decay is your friend. Max it out if you are having trouble losing locks.

#24 Flutterguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 24 May 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

I'm positive, in many of my fights there's lights (under 30 including the urbanmech) without ECM and it was near impossible to get a lock on under 10 seconds...I try to get a lock on and they just act like nothing happened.

That doesn't sound right at all. I use streaks quite a bit and it only takes a couple seconds to lock unless ECM is involved. Do you have Artemis equipped?

#25 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

View PostFlutterguy, on 24 May 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

That doesn't sound right at all. I use streaks quite a bit and it only takes a couple seconds to lock unless ECM is involved. Do you have Artemis equipped?

No it's streaks.

#26 Flutterguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 24 May 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

No it's streaks.

That's the amazing secret. Artemis applies to streaks.

#27 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

dude, you had ecm mech(s) very close that you weren't aware of, radar dep doesn't do what you're describing, but ecm does exactly that

#28 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:03 PM

Use direct fire weapons ... and improve both your contribution to the team and self respect.

#29 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

The OP's salt sustains me.

#30 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

Listen dude, if it's taking you 10 seconds maximum to get a lock, you really need to rethink your strategy or your build or whatever it is.

LRMs are completely unreliable unless they meet certain criteria;

1. There's a lock. Bonus for tag or NARC
2. The map is open/semi-open like Alpine, Polar, kind of Canyon/Manifold/Caustic
3. The enemy team isn't aggressively pushing into your team for you to be useless
4. No one took radar derp
5. No one has ECM
6. There is no cover.
7. They're afk, DC, or a one armed hobo struggling to find the S key.

After meeting at least 3 of the 7, then congratulations, LRMs are useful!

This is the same issue people brought up with the introduction of Solaris City. "Meeeeh, LRMs are useless," forgetting they always were in the first place.

#31 Orion ji

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

I think you have this confused with ECM because your problem is getting locks, not KEEPING locks.

#32 Quintus Verus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:35 PM

No. Just no. I don't want to return to the Streak Crow era. I like my derp just fine.

#33 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

Another thing that wouldn't be an issue if the node system required crit slots and tonnage.

#34 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:51 PM

The skill tree is a pain in the butt, I hate to see what else PGI would replace it with.

#35 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

That's not how radar derp works. All it does is reduce how long it take to break a lock once the target breaks LoS with the 'mech that locked them.

It's some combination of you not taking target time reduction nodes/CAP/TAG/Artemis.

#36 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

From the looks of things, full Radar Derp seems to instantly remove the mech from sensors once LOS is broken, completely invalidating any target decay nodes anyone might have.

What it ought to do is be a 1:1 counter to target decay, so each nod removes 0.7 seconds of targeting time once you break LOS. That way, a mech with full Radar Derp is behaves the same to a mech with full Target Decay as if neither mech had those skills.

#37 Jeremiah Blackstone

Rookie

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

View PostFlutterguy, on 24 May 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke topic or not.

I thought the exact same thing.
"oh noes, people are optimising their skill sets so they can do what they've set their mech up to do, and I can't even!"

#38 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 25 May 2018 - 12:58 PM.
unconstructive

#39 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:15 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 24 May 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

From the looks of things, full Radar Derp seems to instantly remove the mech from sensors once LOS is broken, completely invalidating any target decay nodes anyone might have.

What it ought to do is be a 1:1 counter to target decay, so each nod removes 0.7 seconds of targeting time once you break LOS. That way, a mech with full Radar Derp is behaves the same to a mech with full Target Decay as if neither mech had those skills.

Unless PGI broke something that is how radar derp works, negating target decay (I think there is a small descripancy)

Of course if one loves lock on wepqons and doesn't take decay then yes the lock is basically immediately gone.
Maybe that's OP's problem, not having decay and losing lock too often.

Also, want to get rid of radar deep? Get rid of decay as well.
Not one and it the other.

#40 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

I can't say I agree with OP's reasoning, but 100% radar deprivation became absolutely imbalanced after the skill tree was introduced.

It used to be that the benefits of Radar Deprivation module and the benefits of Target Decay module would essentially cancel each other out leaving you with a couple seconds of lock. This was a good way to balance the two modifiers. Then skill tree came along and made 100% radar deprivation completely hard counter 100% target decay and the base target retention time.

Sure some people will point out that it takes a couple extra points to max out radar deprivation but that's hardly enough to make up for the fact that radar deprivation completely nullifies your target lock time no matter how many points you put into target decay skills.

I think the only saving grace is that 99% of people think they're Neo from The Matrix and don't put any points in Radar Deprivation. It would be a nightmare for game balance if everyone maxed it.

They need to go back to the old way it was balanced where radar deprivation would completely nullify lock on time, unless the player had target decay. Then they would get at least a couple seconds before its lost.

Edited by Jman5, 24 May 2018 - 07:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users