Hate It - And It Is Not Battletech

23 replies to this topic

#1 LoneUnknown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

Besides the claustrophobic feeling to it all and how it strips away a large chunk of the game's weapon systems, mobility, and playstyles, to me it is very immersion killing. I mean, this is NOT Battletech / Mechwarrior.

The whole idea of driving a giant mech which towers over everything is tossed aside and instead we are playing hide and seek in some call of duty style peekabo map. This map, more than any in MWO, shows a certain break from the heart of the franchise and it is not cool in any way.

What are these buildings, elevation level 50? Is a city of this scale even practical or feasible? Why would mech commanders even engage in a congested location like this?

I get the sense that this map is all about "ooooh look how cool this is! We have neon lights! And corner restaurants! And space strippers! Isn't this cooooooooooooooooool???????" Problem is that it kills the gameplay elements that make Mechwarrior what it is.

It is not fun at all. I was enjoying my return to MWO a few weeks back (with the uziel) but this map is killing it for me.

Kindly make it go away, or at least consider rescaling it some so that it is not so miserable to navigate and fight in.

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

View PostLoneUnknown, on 26 May 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

Besides the claustrophobic feeling to it all and how it strips away a large chunk of the game's weapon systems, mobility, and playstyles

Very true.

What are these buildings, elevation level 50? Is a city of this scale even practical or feasible?

We have them right now on Earth... Dozens of them. I think they could probably do it fairly easily on another planet with >600 years more advanced technology.

Why would mech commanders even engage in a congested location like this?

Because urban warfare exists... We already have tanks that engage in urban environments, so why not futuristic legged tanks?

I get the sense that this map is all about "ooooh look how cool this is! We have neon lights! And corner restaurants! And space strippers! Isn't this cooooooooooooooooool???????"

That about sums it up... Yup.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 26 May 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:44 AM

Beside it needing some optimization in performance and art, I like playing on the map, so no keep it.

#4 Saint Dane Icaza

• Pip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

>Is a city of this scale even practical or feasible?

Yes. We have cities like this today, on Earth. I'm confused by this question.

>Why would mech commanders even engage in a congested location like this?

The same reason they would engage anywhere else - it's important in some strategic sense? What a nitpick.

>Problem is that it kills the gameplay elements that make Mechwarrior what it is.

I couldn't disagree more with this, and since it's not backed up by anything further, you're not going to change a lot of minds.

>shows a certain break from the heart of the franchise

Now this is a huge overreaction. There are plenty of times in lore and on tabletop where 'mechs fight in urban centers. Just nonsense.

#5 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

So a tight city map isn't btech but btech had a game expansion called city tech that replicates just that.

Interesting.

Solaris city is in fact that gigantic, even more so. If you read about the Jyhad and the battles that went on their between wolfs dragoons and wacos rangers, entire mammoth buildings being brought down to their foundations.

Too bad there arent areas where you can walk through and fight in some of the buildings. Blown out ground levels.

Edited by Mechwarrior1441491, 28 May 2018 - 06:37 PM.

#6 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:30 PM

I feel that the OP is talking nonsense with this map.

Besides the claustrophobic feeling to it all and how it strips away a large chunk of the game's weapon systems, mobility, and playstyles, to me it is very immersion killing. I mean, this is NOT Battletech / Mechwarrior.

1. I don't see a problem with the new map. Nerfs happened before this map.

The whole idea of driving a giant mech which towers over everything is tossed aside and instead we are playing hide and seek in some call of duty style peekabo map. This map, more than any in MWO, shows a certain break from the heart of the franchise and it is not cool in any way.

2. No, it hasn't. Even in a combat situation like this, you need every bit of cover you can get. Even in the past Mechwarrior games and the Tabletop, they had city maps to fight in. In both games you had to use cover to the best of your advantage.

What are these buildings, elevation level 50? Is a city of this scale even practical or feasible? Why would mech commanders even engage in a congested location like this?

3. Many cities like this exist around the world. There is a reason why it's called "Urban Warfare". What commander would be willing enough to get out and expose themselves to open enemy fire?

I get the sense that this map is all about "ooooh look how cool this is! We have neon lights! And corner restaurants! And space strippers! Isn't this cooooooooooooooooool???????" Problem is that it kills the gameplay elements that make Mechwarrior what it is.

4. No it doesn't. In lore, Solaris City has often been described as "Space Vegas", so I don't see the problem with this. Even Solaris City came under attack from Steiner and Davion aligned stables during the Fed-Com Civil War and again during the Word of Blake Jihad (but that's another story for another time). But I will agree that the map can get messy for those who don't have strong processors, as this map is known to be memory-hungry.

It is not fun at all. I was enjoying my return to MWO a few weeks back (with the uziel) but this map is killing it for me.

5. Then you probably shouldn't be playing MWO if that is your problem.

Kindly make it go away, or at least consider rescaling it some so that it is not so miserable to navigate and fight in.

6. Nope, I like it. Keep it the way the is.

#7 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:36 AM

Oh no! There is 1 (!) map in a F2P Game which you dont like and because that you stop playing?!

I mean...ok. Bye.

#8 Bravado

• PipPipPip
  • Colonel
  • Colonel
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:07 AM

I mean, this is NOT Battletech / Mechwarrior.

This is as close to Battletech as MWO gets. Not only does the Tabletop have Rules for this kind of Enviroment, the City itself has been described in a Large Amount of Detail. Given the Number of Novels and Sourcebooks that have been published it is propably the most detailed described Location in the entire Lore.
Even the Situation of Solaris City as a Battleground has its Roots in Lore

#9 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:48 AM

I was enjoying ... the uziel.

Guys, I found the root problem that is causing OP to spew such crazy talk.

#10 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:04 AM

I agree, it's awful. Pure city maps are no fun. And this one takes it to the extreme.

#11 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

I have to agree. Technicaly and aestheticaly(it looks like work of 12 year old child) it is piece of crap. Optmisation? I have no words for this ....

#12 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

Many people were looking forward to get a pure city map, and that s exactly what we got. I would have rather wished for a less polished city, also i dont enjoy playing at night that much, but thats details. Also would have loved to see something like tunnels or even fights inside large buildings.

Overall i am very happy that there is a map now where brawling builds and very mobile mechs have an advantage. And i am glad that they did not put a large open area in the middle of the map. There is cover everywhere, you can get easily flanked, there s a feeling of constant threat when you are in a heavy or assault. I like that.

The only useless weapon on that map are LRMs, thats fine, get a better build. Large Lasers and gauss can be fired at close range as well.

Overall great job on the map, love it.

Edited by Uakari, 06 June 2018 - 11:48 AM.

#13 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

@OP, I respectfully Disagree with you.

~Leone.

#14 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

This map was designed by artist not engineers. Beautiful but its street grid is not a grid but a complete chaotic mess. PGI yet again you prove you do still do not know how to design a decent play friendly map. A simple copy of a city center of just about any 20th century city in the free world would have been a more enjoyable map. I have said any map added to this game is a "good" map but then again this map is a sad waste of man hours. PGI please study a few of the better MW4 maps and get an idea of what works for a mech game....

#15 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:36 AM

looks good, fun to play.

#16 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

Hopefully we can get more lore maps. Fighting around the Pyramids in Egypt. Across the rollings hills of Britain. Around the Eiffel tower of France. When the WoB went at Terra all the ancient monuments of Earth were active battlefields. All the past maps are generic and I'd like to see more thought put into future maps. Tukkayyid would be a another great one as they do Tuk events.

A Mars map would be even better.

#17 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:05 PM

I mean, this is NOT Battletech / Mechwarrior.

I'll stop you right there... You do know during the Fedcom civil war, the arenas of Solaris actually did end up spilling fighting outside and into the city itself. A city very similar to what you see in this game now.

And many cities got fought in. There was reasons mechs such as the Urbanmech and Hunchback was created. It wasn't to try and rush towards the enemy on an open battlefield. Those designs were basically specifically created for in city fighting. Cities much to the same scale as in the game, if not even larger.

You are also talking about Battletech, where the Northwind Highlanders (for example) had a "Fortress City", a fortress large enough to move mech through, reinforced, and basically like castles of old where they were very hard to breach.

We are also talking about Battletech, where we have stories of fights inside large caves and fights inside factories large enough for mechs to fight in, and even use long range weaponry in.

Soo... fighting in a city built in 3050+ (over 1000 years into the future) that is as large or even larger than what we have on earth currently... Not so far a stretch of the imagination and VERY Battletech.

This excludes any complaints about map performance, or in game issues about the map's game play-ability.

#18 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:44 AM

View PostUakari, on 06 June 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

also i dont enjoy playing at night that much, but thats details.

Would be great to have sunny days fighting in this map ! But probably it's all the calculation for shading that cause problems. But would be awesome with the hologram off and more cars to kick.

#19 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

View PostFireDog, on 09 June 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

This map was designed by artist not engineers. Beautiful but its street grid is not a grid but a complete chaotic mess. PGI yet again you prove you do still do not know how to design a decent play friendly map. A simple copy of a city center of just about any 20th century city in the free world would have been a more enjoyable map. I have said any map added to this game is a "good" map but then again this map is a sad waste of man hours. PGI please study a few of the better MW4 maps and get an idea of what works for a mech game....

Outside of the Americas most cities are not designed like a simcity *circa 1990 grid.
But even older cities in the Americas are not designed but their core grew from settlements to villages to cities to vast sprawling metropolis, a growth often taking 200-300 years to occur. And Asia and Europe those cities took 1000 of years to form.
And even modern cities end up with new roundabouts being installed along roads along with other such odd features.

View PostDamnedtroll, on 15 June 2018 - 03:44 AM, said:

Would be great to have sunny days fighting in this map ! But probably it's all the calculation for shading that cause problems. But would be awesome with the hologram off and more cars to kick.

Officially MWO no longer supports 32-bit systems.
But your likely very right, the constant night would be to save cpu power
Still would be nice if they add a daytime only map, we've seen them do this with other maps before.

Other posters already wrote what I'd reply with but they wrote it much more eloquently, so I'll just say:
Ditto! I like the new map, but would still encourage new maps to be added.

#20 Barko Hall

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

This map is a terrible experience to play on. I hate every time I am forced to play on it. If they wouldn't penalize players for just opting out I would quite every time I got this and just switch to another mech until Solaris match was over and I could go back t my fave mech.

I loved Solaris 7 as a tabletop setting but this map is so much of a letdown and so counter to how I or even most of us want to play it just hurts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users