Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4178 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1990 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. No (2015 votes [48.23%])

Percentage of vote: 48.23%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.14%])

Percentage of vote: 4.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#381 BEARDOOM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

Problem is not in numbers, PROBLEM are some BIG MAPS. Loosing lot of time to start the fight.
Manifold is ours best map! Why??? Small, war poligon, down, up, simetric. Canyon to. Solaris city is labyrinth outside, inside can be stucky.
I play to enter my favorite mechs, and crush as many mechs.
If you got some problems with numbers, maybe it is 10. Not 12, not 8. 10 is gold.

Give some more achievements. 10 kills. 8 kills in QP is looooot more harder than in FP.

Overall... Smaller Polar, Alpine, Forest... Graphic on Solaris and rubber labyrinth.
10 is a gold.

#382 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:52 PM

Many maps are just too big for 8v8. There is going to be a lot of time spent just walking around and finding each other.

Map voting options should be cancelled.

If you have big map, go 12 vs. 12.

If you have small map --- bring back the old maps --- go 8 vs. 8.

#383 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:07 AM

I still remember how 8 vs 8 is played, and one player that is AFK, just late in connecting, or wandered off in the wrong direction, is enough to cause a stomp. It also makes mech choices stand out more, there was a time back then it was easy to predict which team is going to win by the number of Atlas DDCs they have on each team.

Stomps are going to be back, worst than ever.

Idea about dealing with the maps.

The maps should be subdivided, you can get maybe three or four new smaller maps out of an existing large map. Another way is to have the same map, with variations of spawns points, this time, the spawn points are closer to each other, so it is easier and quicker for each team to meet. I also don't think its better to separate the spawn of each lance. The entire team of 8 should just spawn in one spot, like what the game had originally. Having variations on the spawn points will make the map less boring, and get to utilize more portions of the map.

Just have the mechs spawn on the spot immediately, like the old style, without having the landing ship animation, which for me is just wasting more time.

I truly think you won't get 8 v 8 working with the large maps you have currently, except lets say on the older maps. If you want to regress back to 8 vs 8, regression needs to be a full package --- smaller maps, same maps with varied closer spawn points, or variations of the same map with areas closed off. Along with it, go back to the old spawn style.

#384 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:36 AM

Well unless their is a huge majority that wants 8v8 nothing is happening. So basically it looks like I’m done with MWO. Not that 8v8 would fix all of the problems I’ve complained about over the years. Things like new user experience, engine update, and AI bots for FP. This would have been a quality of life change that made enough impact for me to slog back through the “carry harder” match maker and make is less of a job and more of a fun past time.

Oh well, thanks PGI for posting the poll and also getting it out on the main page and I assume the game client. I think announcements get auto populated there.

#385 Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:36 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 07 June 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

The problem is that in BATTLETECH and MechWarrior by extension, IS drops in 4 Mech Lances and clans drop in 5 Mech (or elemental point) Stars. it would also take quite a bit of work on PGIs part to make it odd-numbered groups.

As munch I would love to see this game being close to lore... it's not, it will never will be.

Remember we used to had scribbled "A Battletech Game" under the game logo. It's no longer there - at least we stopped pretending that this game has anything to do with Batlletech. So no 4vs5 - just 5vs5. Not hard at all.

We are now "eSport", loosely based on Mechwarrior - well, let's at least try to do eSport part right.

#386 Saobh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:42 AM

Frankly the people who state the "good ol' days of 8v8" seem to forget that a whole lot of variables have changed in the game since the change from 8v8 to 12v12.

Going back to 8v8 will not bring back the feel from those days

#387 F Wulf

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:02 AM

Voted maybe. This game is not getting younger. No game lives forever and usually a game dies quickly if waiting times get too long for a majority of players or intractons too scarce.

So at some time inthe future 8vs8 might indeed bring advantages in making the game live longer and more stable.
Splitting the players across several game modes (Solaris,...) might not be helpful.

An adaptive system would be the best for me - have the matchmaker decide on reduced sizes if the server population drops blow a certain limit. 12 vs 12 8 vs 8 maybe even 4 vs 4 in the future.

Right now solo QP i fast enough all the time (European timezone) - it is the group queue which is a problem at times, even with american and european servers activated.

You could also let the players decide if they chose to wait longer or want their match faster after waiting for let's say 2 minutes by voting for or againsta smaller game.

For the current state of the game I would rather see additons to Faction play, more narrative, rewards for faction play or the ability to choose a mech(variant) in QP after the map has been determined.
The possibility of doing something "useful" whle waitng would alsobe a nice additon (keepchat alive while searching, send a signaltothose tabbed out,....)

Edited by F Wulf, 08 June 2018 - 01:18 AM.

#388 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:28 AM

Have it timed. If 12v12 takes too long to put together, then switch to 8v8, and then if 8v8 still takes too long, then switch to 4v4.

#389 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:47 AM

Perfect solution - to have both 8vs8 and 12vs12 mode. And Paul actually overestimates effort, needed to do it. UI - is just a minor thing. Biggest thing - is maps. And all we need to do - to return old good 8vs8 maps, like old Frozen City, old Forest Colony and old River City.

Biggest pros of 8vs8 for me: lesser deathball effect, lesser focusing, every player is much more important and overall better gameplay - new maps are too big, so WalkWarroirOnline constantly happens, and too open, that causes boring snipe/LRM-fests.

Problems: big maps - are result of catering to Lights/Mediums. They're way too fast, too OP and can tear enemy team apart within just a few seconds after start of match. What we need to bring old good slower gameplay - to tone Lights/Mediums down.

Edited by MrMadguy, 08 June 2018 - 01:48 AM.

#390 Maximum Overkill

• Pip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:16 AM

8vs8 sounds like the next big thing of the cry-hards - after solaris. Maybe PGI you shouldn't play with the fire as this is the only mode witch seems to work at the moment in comparison to FP and solaris. Use your time to improve the other 2 game modes.

#391 Buenaventura

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 544 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:17 AM

Did the change to 12vs12 happen before or after the adding of 3050 tech?
The old tech may be more of a reason that the game seems to have been better for some posters than the actual team sizes.

#392 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:20 AM

Maybe - Let me explain in the thread.

####################################################################################################

In the context of dwindling population MM is having an increasingly hard time launching matches, specially out of peak time and in GROUP QUEUE it will often fail to find a match but even in SOLO QUEUE match quality is dipping low with players of very different SKILL LEVEL being mixed together.

Make it so Team Size can range from 8 to 12 and it is the FIRST valve to be activated when MM has trouble building two teams.

This way you reduce waiting times, improve match quality and satisfy both camps of this poll in one single stroke.

WINWIN

#######################################################################################

TLDR: Make team size variable to help MM build teams.

Edited by Brizna, 08 June 2018 - 02:21 AM.

#393 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:28 AM

View PostBuenaventura, on 08 June 2018 - 02:17 AM, said:

Did the change to 12vs12 happen before or after the adding of 3050 tech?
The old tech may be more of a reason that the game seems to have been better for some posters than the actual team sizes.

All, I remember, that forced 3x4 was implemented 2-3 months prior to release of Clans. Therefore 12vs12 happened not long before that moment. That's, when quality of game dropped for me, cuz prior to that Heavies+Assaults vs Heavies+Assaults was very common situation and game was much slower, than today. Plus there wasn't Clan speed/range/mobility/hardpoints advantage. Imagine this situation. Some small map, like Canyon Network. 200kph Light 'Mech can get from one drop point to another within just a few seconds. And I witnessed situations, where Light 'Mech couldn't be killed by focused fire of 6 Heavy/Assault 'Mechs within several minutes. And this Light 'Mech can easily two-shot your rear armor. What happens in this case? Unbearable gameplay - that's, what happens. And while exactly the same thing usually happens on a big maps too, PGI try to "stretch" this agony this way - they try to create an illusion, that you actually play this game, not constantly die within just a few seconds after beginning of match.

#394 xAlimonosx

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationGreece Athens

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:32 AM

Since this is my first post and i recently started playing i would like to greetings everyone first!

Also i would like to note how amazing this community looks to me since its so mature and fun
(no bitching in chat or voice chat)

Now, i would like see a variable quick play mechanic strarting from 8-8, 12-12 and even 16-16 based on players searching and a new matchmaking formula...

8-8 only seems like less fun IMHO

#395 I Peed My Pants

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:37 AM

hell no... other than issues around performance etc, i think the game would benefit from more than 12 v 12 imho, ie bring elemnets of FW to QP. some of the maps make it easy to go 5min in a match without even seeing the enemy as it is, 8 less mechs on the map is only going to make that worse. Some others have suggested dropping to 8v8 when population is low (is it ever that bad?) or as a choice, both of those seem ok but i'd much rather see the effort put into increasing population, and fixing other issues.

Others have also suggested bringing back the old maps too - I think that's a great idea. Sure, some were kinda ordinary, but some were still pretty good, and its an easy way to get some more variety.

#396 sam wesson

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:59 AM

I vote no. Sync drops are a real problem. And teams of 8 would seriously exacerbate that problem. To many trying to game the system for childish advantage.

#397 1ByteSnack_Twitch

• Pip
  • The Moon
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:47 AM

NO WAY!!

Actually, 32 vs 32 is better.

THE MORE THE MERRIER!!

#398 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:05 AM

Everyone thinking 32x32 or 64x64 obviously didn’t read the topic. The game is and has been at its draw call limit for a long time. More than 12v12 will never happen unless there is an engine upgrade. FP and Solaris can’t be fixed either without said engine upgrade. 8v8 was the compromise to get better quality of life out of the only successful game mode.

#399 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:09 AM

I think that switching to 8v8 might lead to some problems:
1) every mech is more valuable, which means that if one mech dies quickly, goes afk or disconnects the enemy team will have a bigger advantage when compared to 12v12, especially if you consider that assault mechs disconnect or afk more often than other mechs
2) the economy might be hard to change to 8v8 because all rewards will require a re-balance

EDIT: Small idea: what if PGI includes 8v8 as a second option in quick play, so players can choose between 8v8 and 12v12?

Edited by admiralbenbow123, 08 June 2018 - 04:13 AM.

#400 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:17 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 06 June 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

Right now it's checking interest. Russ has mentioned before that he'd want an overwhelming response if we were to move ahead with it.

Voting NO.

Will NOT change my vote UNTIL I know how it will impact MY game mode of choice, CW.

Tell us how it will effect that FIRST.

Zero interest in QP but you said the change will impact CW and the ability to address issues there. I, like a great many others, are here ONLY for CW. Unless you plan to flush all of us down the proverbial toilet you will need to address our concerns with the only mode in MWO we play.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users