Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4178 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1990 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. No (2015 votes [48.23%])

Percentage of vote: 48.23%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.14%])

Percentage of vote: 4.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#601 Gun Tuv

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

View PostAEgg, on 15 June 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

There aren't nearly enough players for that.

It would be nice if all four went into the queue and you could pick your preferred player counts, though, and the MM prioritized games of those sizes for you.

Indeed. In a perfect world where the population was growing I would vote for things to remain 12v12. However, if it's a given that the population is shrinking then changing to a model more able to continue to provide good games may well be prudent.

#602 Wanderer of the Mists

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts
  • LocationAlabama UAS

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

It might have been stated but maybe making it a selectable option for quick play and have it filter out the very large maps or have map variants that are smaller versions of the current maps that way it wont take half the game to find each other. I would play it either way but if 8v8 would want smaller maps.

#603 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:33 PM

I would love to see old maps return with 4vs4 or 8vs8. Please do not get rid of 12vs12.

#604 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:02 PM

I voted for 12v12s but would like to see 24v24s or greater. Going to 8v8s is a step backwards. For me, the more players there are in a match, the greater the fun factor. I played in beta when 8v8s happened and it got stale very quickly. Sure, the better players would have an easier time carrying in 8v8s but I don't think building the game around this aspect is a good idea. Every little mistake from a single player is amplified in 8v8s. Casuals / new players will likely catch more flack from the better players for making the slightest mistakes.

More importantly, think of how bad it is when you get 1 or 2 dc'd / troll / tking / suiciding player in 12v12? These aids will be magnified in 8v8s. Getting a real elo matchmaking instead of this flawed PSR matchmaking is a much better solution for higher quality matches. Forcing 8v8s only puts a ceiling on what each player can achieve in this game. You can no longer get more than 8 kmdds / kills and etc.

As for the issue of deathballs, they are unavoidable now due to the power creep in firepower over the years. You stray, you die in this game unless you're in a specialized build and/or lance with comms. Even if you swap to 8v8s now, the group of 8 staying together will likely crush the group of 8 that is not together.

Edited by Belkor, 16 June 2018 - 07:40 AM.

#605 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:41 PM

As someone who's been here since closed beta, 8v8 all the way.

Less people with more space means more mobile gameplay. Less map coverage, more opportunities to flank and making it more palatable for people to take risks because they have lower odds of being mission-killed by massed fire. Less mechs to inevitably pile up at choke points.

I desire it so.

#606 ShadowKing

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

31 pages to skim through so I don't know if this has already been stated but I am going to note it anyway.

I am not opposed to a 8v8 play in Quick Play, HOWEVER, I would still enjoy having the option to play 12v12 without being forced into Faction play. FP is really an entirely different play since it is technically 48v48 which makes for a much longer game along with no options on choosing a game style or map you want to be on.

The best solution (which could be incorporated to include all modes) is to have selection que options for the different play modes much the same as how we have the server selections.
You would simply check the modes you wish to be available for when you click Play such as (QP 8v8, QP 12v12, FP 4v4, FP 12v12, Sol 1v1, Sol 2v2).
You would then simply be dropped into whichever match becomes available first.
Perhaps an option of ranking the modes by preference as well in the case that more than 1 are available at the same time. Such as wanting to do a 12v12 over an 8v8.

This would allow for the option of increased game modes without thinning out the player base for each.

#607 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

I remember 8v8, and honestly enjoyed it more. Might have to cut off parts of some of the bigger maps, but the increased time to kill and more room for maneuver warfare was always fun.

12v12 isn't bad but is probably alot harsher to new players since positional mistakes gets punished harder in a 4v1 scenario than a 2v1.

#608 Iggy Mechsmasher

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:00 PM

I think it should be a choice thing, where you can do solo 8v8, or 12 v 12, or do a group 12 v 12

#609 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

Configure it so PGI can through a switch/code for 8v8, 10v10 (Clan) and 12v12 on a rotating weekly or biweekly basis for 2-3 months, or even just 10vs10 and 12vs12 IS one week and Clan the next week.

#610 csebal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:52 PM

I think this is a simple case of whichever makes more sense. Prime time should stay 12v12, when the system is fast enough to find matches for that. Off prime however it could drop down to 8v8 to allow for faster MM. I see the benefits of smaller teams (less potential focus fire alpha damage), but especially in free play I think it is not that significant a benefit. It might be important for the top few percent of the player base who frequently play with each other and have both the experience and discipline to take advantage of the numbers, however for the majority of the players - assumption made based on demographics and my own place in those -, more mechs means more fun

This might be one of those cases where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few. Even though I sympathise and would definitely suggest considering 8v8 as a matchmaker alternative to expanding tier range.

So instead of expanded tier ranges, it could first try to make games with a narrower range but less mechs, then expand the range and the team size, then start relaxing mech class limitations.

Edited by csebal, 16 June 2018 - 11:53 PM.

#611 WarmasterRaptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 205 posts
  • LocationQuébec - Canada

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

New idea!

How about the MM works on matching players depending on the Game Mode in QP?

Skirmish/VIP: MM works to match people by one, two and three lances. (so 4v4, 8v8, 12v12)
Conquest: 8v8 minimum, then 12v12
Assault/Incursion:12v12

Just throwing a random idea here, don't know if it's feasible or not.

Please feel free to say NAY or add to this ! Posted Image

Flame on!

Edited by WarmasterRaptor, 17 June 2018 - 12:27 PM.

#612 United Jenner Warriors

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

why cant it be dynamic ?

toggle 12vs12 on for known peak times or when server detects overall drop under threshold

all other times 8v8

#613 El Maestro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 464 posts
  • LocationVleuten, Netherlands

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:18 AM

excellent idea! combine it with different droppoints for 8v8 and 12v12 and you are done!

#614 bongschur

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNuremburg, Germany

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:33 AM

Just to quickly get my point of view out there, probably said before.

So I think switching it over would make it feel less of an actual battle, and more of a smaller brawl. Insteas i wouldlike to see match sizes even larger.

then again i can see the benefits of 8v8.

So the solution i propose is: make different selectable match sizes, for example 8v8, 12v12, 16v16 so you can play what you feel like atm

#615 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

With map sizes the way they are, makes more sense to have 4v4 in the Solaris queue, and then 8v8 plus 12v12 on the normal maps.

#616 Vamblery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

Maybe better for PGI will be to promote MWO to get more players?

#617 WarmasterRaptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 205 posts
  • LocationQuébec - Canada

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

View PostVamblery, on 18 June 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

Maybe better for PGI will be to promote MWO to get more players?

Agreed, I don't see a lot of advertising about MWO sadly :(

Could be linked to the damn HG parasites' lawsuit that doesn't end?

#618 Psimon Drake

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:01 AM

Might also want to consider allowing people to select/display Johnny 5 as a Title... Getting Ace of Spades will be a lot harder with only 8 opponents.

My $0.02
Psi

#619 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:21 AM

Maybe instead of changing how many players can attend QP, PiGgy puts some work into marketing and overall awareness of the game in the mind of the public? :P You just can't cut out more out of a slice of cake that's already small. You/we need reinforcements :P

#620 Hades Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:27 AM

Look, i'll put it in very simple terms.

I'm fucken sic of the wait times for group and solo play.

I use to play mwo 4-5 hours a day.

Now i get bored after the 1st time i have to wait 5 mins for a game.

So yes i voted for 8v8 to come back.

then i read oh but that would take sooo much effort. Why do u need to change the maps, leave the fucken things alone and just making smaller groups.

If you have to change so much to go back to 8 v 8 then NO.

You ****** take so fucken long on basically every friggin thing, i'd suggest avoiding having to do a new ui and all that **** your barely have stable now.

Or are you saying you got no real content to add so reshuffling past efforts willmake it seem your doing something when really all cash is dropped into the mech5?

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users