Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4169 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1985 votes [47.61%])

Percentage of vote: 47.61%

2. No (2011 votes [48.24%])

Percentage of vote: 48.24%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.15%])

Percentage of vote: 4.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#621 JobTech

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

O vote for keeping the 12x12 mode, and ALSO add the 8x8 mode. Diversity is welcome.

#622 G3 Heathen

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:54 AM

You kinda get a feel of how a 8 VS 8 match would go on the bigger maps by looking at a scout match. I have only have problems finding the other team on one map, forest colony. Of course the down size is that a lower skill player cant ride the coattails of the other players on the team to get a win. so one bad player or disco could really hurt.

I to would like to see more advertising for mwo out there we always need new players.

#623 Kim Vallantine

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 29 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTorres, RS, Brazil

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

My vote was yes to ADD the 8x8 mode, but will be amazing KEEP the 12x12 mode. Give us options! Posted Image

#624 YouCallThisClean

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

As long as I cannot indicate what kind of maps the chassis I am using is best suited for, no.

Right now I see landing with a band of 8, three of which will be useless in a specific map/mode, and no way to compensate because of the smaller team size. I understand that the player base simply is not there to split on map choices, but then we should not try to cause even more lopsided games as a response.

I am seeing more and more stomps since certain maps favor certain play styles. Just checked the map page and had to find that SolarisCity is still not listed... https://mwomercs.com/game/maps LOL, you guys need to learn how to take maps seriously. Anyway, SolarisCity is one of those maps where as a LRM boat you might as well shut down and wait. Same with laser vomit boats and TerraTherma. Stop messing with game modes, fix maps already.

#625 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

View PostYouCallThisClean, on 19 June 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

Anyway, SolarisCity is one of those maps where as a LRM boat you might as well shut down and wait. Same with laser vomit boats and TerraTherma. Stop messing with game modes, fix maps already.

I'm going to just throw this out there with the possible exception LRMs in Solaris, if you have a build that is completely nullified by a map you either are not good enough to run that build effectively or the build is just bad. If you can't run a hot mech on a hot map, maybe don't run a hot mech.

#626 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

View PostYouCallThisClean, on 19 June 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

As long as I cannot indicate what kind of maps the chassis I am using is best suited for, no.

Right now I see landing with a band of 8, three of which will be useless in a specific map/mode, and no way to compensate because of the smaller team size. I understand that the player base simply is not there to split on map choices, but then we should not try to cause even more lopsided games as a response.

I am seeing more and more stomps since certain maps favor certain play styles. Just checked the map page and had to find that SolarisCity is still not listed... https://mwomercs.com/game/maps LOL, you guys need to learn how to take maps seriously. Anyway, SolarisCity is one of those maps where as a LRM boat you might as well shut down and wait. Same with laser vomit boats and TerraTherma. Stop messing with game modes, fix maps already.

Where do I begin... where, do, I, begin? First.. being able to choose a map based on chassis is ludicrous. For example, if this was allowed, we'd be having LRM fests on polar because most ppl would bring lurms on that map.. that or ER Large boats.. both equally boring builds.. especially when the field is littered with them. It would also cancel out any benefit you would have derived from bringing a lurm boat on a lurm friendly map.

Second, there is no way to avoid stomps.. they happen.. I don't care why they happen, be it better skill or more advantageous builds on one side.. regardless.. they happen.. they happen now with 12v12.. They happen in scouting with 4v4.. they will happen with 8v8. The only upside is that at the end of the day, chances of stomping and of being stomped are pretty equal at 50%.

Finally, the fact that your criticizing Solaris City because it isn't lurm friendly tells me and everyone else here that you really need to expand your builds and get some direct fire weapon experience under your belt. As fun as lurms are, and as much damage as they rack up, they really aren't the most effective weapon system, by far. They are too situational and can be easily countered.

Instead of looking outward and blaming the maps, try looking inward.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 19 June 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#627 lonewolfsx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

Switching to 8v8 would be stupid, like rolling back to beta. It's a step in the wrong direction for sure. Granted I'm in the US, but I rarely if ever wait for a 12v12 quickly match, at most 2 minutes. I usually get a match in under a minute from clicking the button.

The maps are designed for 12v12, 8v8's make a disco even more of a liability, and it ruins the whole lance organization of scout lance + med/hvy lance + assault lance which, while not always exactly how it ends up, is the most fun kind of game.

#628 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

Why not make it conditional? If a balanced drop cannot be formed in 12 v 12, then form an 8 v 8.

#629 Groundpound Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:14 PM

I barely play this game anymore. But as a Founder and Close Beta participant I have experienced a great many versions of this game.
8v8 was more enjoyable.
-1 death didn't lead to the common snowball effect.
-Maps no matter how big aren't large enough, less bodies opens this up. Meaning no reason to change maps.
-1 Person could make a difference.
-When an Atlas rounded a corner (before quirks and SP) it could eat an entire team for a few seconds while the rest of the team flanked.
-Disconnects were far far less often.
-Less Toxic behavior in chat an on voice.
-Faster Queues
-Non top tier mechs were playable.
- Also I completely disagree with people saying a Disco makes more of an impact. I found in 8v8 a single player was both far less impact and yet could be far more. So yeah if the carry discos... damn, but if its an average joe or less, it's no difference. I find the carry's don't disco often.

And considering the original community has gone silent, maybe this something they always wanted could spark some interest. Or maybe they will just remain enraged and silent still, who knows anymore.

Again absolutely no reason to change maps for 4 less mechs per team. That is just crazy talk. You still have the same points or bases in same location. People will funnel to those spots. Skirmish? Still choice spots everyone tries to get to. No reason to change maps.... or UI? Why would you change UI? so a lance is empty in QP, shucks.

Edited by Groundpound Devalis, 19 June 2018 - 11:20 PM.

#630 Groundpound Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:00 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 08 June 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

Update:

As of this post.. the poll is sub 50% for yes and no at a near parity. That being said, we'll leave the poll up through the week and let people voice their opinions and thoughts on the matter.

At this point, this does not meet the 'overwhelmingly positive' requirement for development. Even with the sample group of current forum users being the people voting, statistically the silent majority will also vote this way.

That being said, 8v8 may be put on hiatus for re-visit way down the road but it will not be implemented for now. Some of you may be disappointed, but we MAY run some events using 8v8 in the future. Even if those events are popular, it is not going to change from the core 12v12 gameplay.

Thanks for all the input and discussion folks.

This urks me. No advertisement, nothing in an email. Most of the Founders I know havent heard of this, and would vote 8v8. Oh well typical. Best not to half *** two things and really just full *** one thing.

#631 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:33 AM

MWO suffers from ridiculously low TTK.
MWO suffers from HORRIBLE optimization.
MWO suffers from awful matchmaking in group lobby making it nearly impossible for small premades to have any actual impact on the match since you are just flipping the coin: being teamed with well-organized squad treating MWO as a job or being teamed with vegetables who just randomly add anyone to their premade groups without communication.

I have no idea what this 12v12 was even about to begin with. It didn't add any tactical depth, any epic scale, any fun. It was pure mindless "WE NEED IT BIGGER" with literally ZERO reasoning behind it. Freud.jpg

12v12 could work if MWO was a game made by competent people familiar with the concept of optimization or capable of coming up with a game mode where one focused and instakilled mech doesn't affect the outcome of the whole game this much, but PGI just can't. They have been butchering game's performance for years already without a slightest improvement, they've been rebranding oversimplistic skirmish as new game modes for countless times and this never worked. In its core it's still the same game I played in 2013 except you can die faster, you stare at loading screens longer and you have lower fps.

Optimization issue even went so far that I would gladly reduce FP to 8v8 as well. Because FP became literally unplayable for me now. I'm now kidding. It worked before and then it stopped working. By "stopped working" I mean "loading so long that I might as well not participate in match at all".

MWO isn't even a minimally viable product at this point.

View PostGroundpound Devalis, on 20 June 2018 - 12:00 AM, said:

This urks me. No advertisement, nothing in an email. Most of the Founders I know havent heard of this, and would vote 8v8. Oh well typical. Best not to half *** two things and really just full *** one thing.

This. I'm just checking patch notes monthly after notification popup in Steam to see how the game is doing and only found out about this poll from recent patch notes.

Edited by Appuagab, 20 June 2018 - 03:37 AM.

#632 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:49 AM

View PostGroundpound Devalis, on 20 June 2018 - 12:00 AM, said:

Yeah, I only knew about this topic when some random dude shown up in discord and told: "vote for 8vs8". Then most people on the channel were like: "wut? Hell no! That's dumb! Where can we vote against?"

So I agree, there must be more advertisement. It would be sad if the direction of the game development would be chosen by people who barely plays it anymore instead of active community. There should be some kind of in-game announcement feature for this kind of polls, so actual active players would know. Last time time I checked, the mwomerc forum populace mostly consists of "salty vet" subtype, 50% of whom play like 20 games per month and some are "retired", according to the Jarl's list. So they can't really represent the majority of current players.

#633 Crispy Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 136 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:11 AM

Most deffinitely NO

IMHO this would be one of the really bad decisions to make, because it would make the game way worse for PUG matches, because in 8vs8 one bad player has a way higher impact on the team than in 12vs12.

I know, PGI loves illogic changes (adjust single heat sinks and ammo so stock mechs become better palyable for the WC???? seriously, it effects all the same so no change would have had everybdy on the same level too...)
It would be way better you would concentrate on real issues, like the disconnect problems, hit registration issues (to name just the most critical) ... of course, I guess reducing player numbers for a match would solve that too in an indirect way... but it would also greatly impact the attraction of the game

#634 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:06 AM

View Postlonewolfsx, on 19 June 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

Switching to 8v8 would be stupid, like rolling back to beta. It's a step in the wrong direction for sure. Granted I'm in the US, but I rarely if ever wait for a 12v12 quickly match, at most 2 minutes. I usually get a match in under a minute from clicking the button.

The maps are designed for 12v12, 8v8's make a disco even more of a liability, and it ruins the whole lance organization of scout lance + med/hvy lance + assault lance which, while not always exactly how it ends up, is the most fun kind of game.

you could also say the opposite

7 people + 1 disco

still 8 enemies

easier to carry bad players

thnx

#635 Darth CanisVapor

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:06 AM

ifanything,changeitto16v16asanytruebattletechnerdwouldkknowthatisafullcompanycomplimentofmechs,oreven25v25asinafullclanmechstarcompliment,lol

#636 Radkres

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

O.o Not sure this Idea has merit but make a Qp 8X8 Play with Drop decks Selection and run it for a few months to see how it goes that way you can get Data on how many will play it? o.O

#637 BoMbY

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

To get a better/faster queue/matchmaking you could also give people some info about the current queue situation. Like showing how many lights/meds/heavies/assaults are currently queued in the current tier spread and region selection, so you could see that only lights are queued, and things like that.

#638 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

I think leaving 12v12 QP alone and introducing 6v6 'skirmish' mode would be sweet, it could even be a faction mode that reflects the smaller scale of sectarian infighting in the Battletech universe, as compared to the full 12x4-v-12x4 Invasion mode, which stands in for the civilization-shaking crusade of the Clams vs the IS great houses.

#639 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:07 PM

View PostBoMbY, on 20 June 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

To get a better/faster queue/matchmaking you could also give people some info about the current queue situation. Like showing how many lights/meds/heavies/assaults are currently queued in the current tier spread and region selection, so you could see that only lights are queued, and things like that.
You know that's in game, right?

#640 VengeanceRealized

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:16 PM

PLEASE KEEP 12v12!!!!

If there is a disco or newer player in 12v12, the team is already as a HUGE disadvantage.... so even more so in an 8v8. Just add different modes to Quickplay:
  • 16 player Free-for-All. This could be a Solaris mode, a throw back to Mercs:4
  • 8v8 teams could be cool, but please allow for both freind parties AND random cue but also keep 12v12.
  • 24v24 and make the maps huge and the matches MUCH longer. Faction Play is hard if you do not have a coordinated team that has practiced strategies, so make Faction play more accessible to people who who are not part of a Unit/Team and add a quick play variant.
    • Add multiple things around the map that are acutally worth capturing and are free to use X number of times per match, per caturing team. EXAMPLES: A few Mech repair bays that repairs a percentage of your damaged mech, an Airfield that allows players to recharge their airstikes, a Supply Depot to allow players to recharge their Coolshots and ammo, a Comm tower that allows players to recharge their UAVs and Arty strikes, a turret battery that has a bunch of LRMs and ERLLs. Each POI must be powered by several generators.
    • If your mech is destroyed, you are allowed to drop 1 more mech in the match, otherwise, you are out of the match. No tonnage restrictions.
    • This would work best as a variant on Incursion with a base for each team or as a skirmish variant without bases.
That's my 2 cents. Thanks for listening Posted Image

Edited by VengeanceRealized, 20 June 2018 - 03:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users