Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4178 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1990 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. No (2015 votes [48.23%])

Percentage of vote: 48.23%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.14%])

Percentage of vote: 4.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#641 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:15 PM

is it just me or did the poll just spawn a 33 page cancer fest? with no actual solutions, and whining on both sides? also, wheres the shoutout about the poll itself?Twitter, FB,Reddit, ANYTHING. 3.5k players? i pray to kerensky thats not all thats left of the playerbase......

#642 Admiral Nightingale

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:13 PM

Back to the old Beta days maybe for a different game mode! 12v12 is ok as it is msot maps have been redesigned with that in mind and maps are larger then before. 8v8 might spread mechs out to thin on current large maps
Best solution is letting the matchmaker adapt in the quiet hours would be my choice.

#643 Myobu

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:57 AM

I keep hearing the "the population is getting lower so 8v8 would be better" - Says who? I never have problems getting into a game no matter the time of day, and the population seems fine...

And besides, if the population is getting low maybe the developers should ramp up an advertising campaign and offer incentives to new players rather than switching to 8v8? Posted Image

Edited by Myobu, 21 June 2018 - 04:59 AM.

#644 Lynx OGrady

• PipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 39 posts
  • LocationWarhawk Cockpit

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:13 AM

Reverting back to 8v8 almost sounds like a tap out for streamlining the 12v12 system.

#645 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:18 AM

View PostLynx OGrady, on 21 June 2018 - 06:13 AM, said:

Reverting back to 8v8 almost sounds like a tap out for streamlining the 12v12 system.

not a tap out, but infact them either caving to the LCD (of potatos and thier tech that barely handeled the recent changes) or the brown sea...... both are which are not proper ways to dev a game,

EDIT:
Also if you remove 12v12, you must remove deathstar, from all earned accounts, the achievements, and make ace of spades the highest "achievement"

Edited by ShadowHimself McEvedy, 22 June 2018 - 03:04 PM.

#646 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:56 AM

After this change, how many kills will you need to get the Ace of Spades achievement?

#647 BUMMBUMM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 254 posts
  • LocationHannover

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:10 AM

I read it all, so ill keep this brief.
8v8 might be fun with the tighter teamplay with pugs n all but since u put it this way:

NO to any excuse that lets you continue to ignore Faction Play!

also rather than limiting groupsizes to battle group queue problems let solos who opted for that fill their ranks. I would have that checked all the time.

#648 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

I voted yes because 12 v 12 is unbearable for medium and light mech players. The opposing team has so much deathball potential and firepower that mobility plays no role. You just get instantly deleted from the game. 12 v 12 = nascar deathballing and thats all.

Quite contrary to what we see in S7 where the best mediums can 1v1 heavy and assaults quite often using poptarts, circling, high mounts, pitch angle and sudden hit and run attacks with low exposure time and high alpha strike.

Edited by lazorbeamz, 22 June 2018 - 09:42 AM.

#649 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

8х8 will restrict wide spectre builds limited they to direct-fire builds. Also only 2 mech of each wight class. So 8x8 will be used for Pro gamers not for fun-oriented. And it will shift fun game to Faction Play.

#650 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

View Postlazorbeamz, on 22 June 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

I voted yes because 12 v 12 is unbearable for medium and light mech players. The opposing team has so much deathball potential and firepower that mobility plays no role. You just get instantly deleted from the game. 12 v 12 = nascar deathballing and thats all.

Quite contrary to what we see in S7 where the best mediums can 1v1 heavy and assaults quite often using poptarts, circling, high mounts, pitch angle and sudden hit and run attacks with low exposure time and high alpha strike.

balancing QUICKPLAY based on SOLARIS is a bad idea, and if your getting deleted......you must follow the light's creed, thou shalt always be moving

Edited by ShadowHimself McEvedy, 23 June 2018 - 11:48 AM.

#651 JohnnyOnslaught

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

I voted yes because 12 v 12 is unbearable for medium and light mech players.

i don't agree with that at all, I do fine with my lights and mediums. The real problem regarding lights and mediums in QP is that you don't know what your team's composition is going to be, and dropping with 6 lights, 4 mediums and 2 heavies doesn't end well.

The solution to that would be showing map and game mode before selecting which mechs we want to use, but that's neither on-topic or particularly viable.

Edited by JohnnyOnslaught, 23 June 2018 - 11:20 AM.

#652 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

since the argument is turning twards lights and meds......can we deal with the flea infestation.

#653 Crackers Unlimited

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:05 PM

I'm sure this has already been said... but here it goes again (and by the way i carry the weight of about 8 votes... all of whom have taken a break from this game since the release of Solaris [which is awesome] DIRECTLY due to to an issue that would be directly fixed by this change), and that is this... The matchmaking has become HORRENDOUS in this game. We all simply agree that there is simply too much "down time" in this game at this point. ESPECIALLY if you have an "off-game." Or if your team just gets rolled... which is honestly like 40% of the time... This is a game with relatively few players, and no respawn options on any game mode currently (*hint hint PGI), that means that if you just get unlucky (even with very valid loadouts) you could easily end up spending 80-90% of your time searching for matches/looking at loading screens for a minimal pay-out of your play time. This is simply unacceptable compared to some other shooter (i.e. call of duty, etc.) in which you can play (even with a niche loadout). All of this said, I like that PGI has attempted to divide player groups into very specific subsets and ranks (in fact, I even feel like there could be 6-10 ranks overall instead of 5), and how very transparent PGI has always been in their communication. That said, I honestly have to say that of my group of 5 players (all of which have spent several hundred dollars so far on this game), I think that most of my friends will quit if this trend continues. 8v8 offers an obvious fix to this problem by reducing matchmaking/load time, and thus making the game MUCH more enjoyable.

Edited by Crackers Unlimited, 23 June 2018 - 09:11 PM.

#654 Crackers Unlimited

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:11 PM

Correction: obviously group play has respawn, but you are heavily penalized. Also my current play group is smaller than what we encounter most of the time in group que ( this is a separate issue and one I REALLY wish that PGI would address... I would GLADLY face some longer que times, if it meant that group didn't automatically mean that the opposing group was on average 10+ players in size [this is a separate but frustrating issue]).

#655 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

View PostVengeanceRealized, on 20 June 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

PLEASE KEEP 12v12!!!!

If there is a disco or newer player in 12v12, the team is already as a HUGE disadvantage

The research done in the past already proved that when one side has a 5% advantage in almost any way (avg match score of combined players, avg KDR, etc) that almost always precipitates a steamroll. 1/12 is 8%, so it doesn't matter if it's 1 of 8 or 1 of 12 DC'd - the effect is the same.

It should instead be a case to reduce disconnects. MWO is waaaay out in left field with this high amount of disconnects vs almost every other FPS I've played. You don't balance around the EXCEPTION, you balance around the RULE.

Edited by Hydrocarbon, 27 June 2018 - 08:07 AM.

#656 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:53 AM

View PostMyobu, on 21 June 2018 - 04:57 AM, said:

I keep hearing the "the population is getting lower so 8v8 would be better" - Says who? I never have problems getting into a game no matter the time of day, and the population seems fine...

And besides, if the population is getting low maybe the developers should ramp up an advertising campaign and offer incentives to new players rather than switching to 8v8? Posted Image

Less population = worse matchmaking balance

Not necessarily only a increase in queue time.

#657 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

All I see here is proof we should have never got Solaris and added a 8v8 queue. Oh well...

#658 tom spector

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 1
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

GOGOGO 8v8!!!!!

This really needs to be advertised more. GOD YES go back to 8v8s. I see alot of people talking about that it would hinder matchmaking. What alot of you dont realize is the reason for the drop in community WAS the switch from 8v8 to 12v12. I used to play with a group of 4 (i was ever a closed beta tester) with 4v4s. The game was SOOO much better. You had no deathball, maps were smaller (i.e. forest colony was half the size), different mechs played different roles better because there were less mechs on the field. Also there was almost no poking phase or running around a center piller, picking off straggler, and whichever team had faster mechs won (Caustic valley, HPG manifold, river city). Didnt happen, there were not enough mechs. Instead, it was more worth it to have mechs spread out to try to get flanking shots on the backs of assaults then mediums would have to go chase them. Combat was more personal. The game relied more on personal skill and less on team coop. Now why is this good. Because when you solo que, thats it. Just you. In 12v12s if you drop against a team your screwed. but in 8v8s or 4v4s you make more of a difference and it depends more on personal skill. I can see where 12v12 is great with a team but when i play by myself trying to play against 6 guys with voice chat there is no contest and it gets boring. I guarantee if this poll was on the front page or steam or google or reddit the votes for a switch back to 8v8 would be overwhelming. But it wont be because 12v12s have already killed the game and most people who played back then dont even have MWO installed anymore (including myself).

P.S.S. i wont come back until 8v8s do

#659 StarScream47

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

No. Try fixing maps so there isnt any invisible terrain. Try doing somthing with FP and Solaris.

Also I doudt most of the player base even look at the forums or reddit, I only came across the poll because I was looking around if others couldnt access mwo.smurfy-net

Nostalgia is deceptive.

#660 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:23 PM

View PostCornvelious Daniel, on 27 June 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

Not sure how clear a picture a community vote will offer on this subject. PGI needs to be the game master and should make a decision on how best to cater to their core demographics that play their game. I drop in groups no larger than a 4 man, and it can be frustrating to encounter the larger coordinated groups.

Most units should want 12v12 because it increases their advantage to control a match. Unit-less or small group people will mainly want 8v8. In the end it comes down to winning, which I can't fault people for voicing their interests. In a smaller match size I believe I have a greater chance at influencing the outcome of the game as (1 of 8) vs (1 of 12).

I vote 8v8. Let the large groups move to faction play, and increase the quality of play on what PGI wanted to be their flagship mode.

Theres this gravestone in the graveyard next to my house, it reads : faction play is dead.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users