Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4178 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1990 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. No (2015 votes [48.23%])

Percentage of vote: 48.23%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.14%])

Percentage of vote: 4.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Heketon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

I think the game should run 8v8 during non-peak times.
/* Example */
If num_players <= 50 Then 8v8_Matches_Procedure Else 12v12_Matches_Procedure

Keep the economy the same, though. This would encourage more people to participate during those non-peak times, bring up the player base, and then the system would shift back to 12v12.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and the 8v8 system would have a worse economy than 12v12 matches. Posted Image

#242 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

If it means we can get random maps instead of odd map voting which again often gives matchup on the same map several times in a row. Leave game mode voting on but have maps random.

When we had random selected maps, there werent often we had the same map many times in a row, top 2 as far as i recall.
With 8 vs 8. I guess server resources could be used to reintroduce random maps again.
All maps would roughly be played equally, and players to adapt on the fly.

Because now its all biased voting. Some cant handle laser spam, some cant handle the heat, some cant handle lurms and some cant handle brawling and they try to build vote multiplier by choosing the " worst " map.

Whats the point in having all these maps and create new ones when just 2-4 are being played??????

Also add the old maps if possible ( or were their files overridden? ), they were kinda made for 8 vs 8 back in the days, werent they?

The catch with 8 vs 8, well the c-bill gain might take a hit, as if it werent tedious enough for those peeps without premium time, the interest can be gone sooner than later when newer players depend on alot of cash for experimentations more so than vets.
At least make the cadet bonuses twice or thrice the size.
In general less c bill gain for all is... not good. Besides new players, there are them who dont have much time to play and various other reasons, so take that into consideration.

Sure 12 vs 12 brings chaos ( I love chaos ), mech varity and sense of big battle. And less likely death balls, a bit more freedom to do your own thing to help your team.

For now Im on the fence..

Edited by Tordin, 07 June 2018 - 09:47 AM.

#243 Anvil Striker

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

I don't think its necessary to eliminate the 12v12 QP as you guys spent a lot of time making some awesome larger maps.

On the other hand I do miss the old 8v8 maps that have been out of rotation for a couple years now. It would be cool to have a side/spilloff queue for 8v8 and bring back some of the old maps.

Maybe you could have matchmaker sort for 12v12, and after xTime or xPlayercount have it shunt off to 8v8 for faster queue times. Not sure if that makes any sense, over having 2x queues, but hopefully you guys have some great ideas to implement if you do bring 8v8 back.

Edited by Anvil Striker, 07 June 2018 - 09:51 AM.

#244 Purity the Kitty

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

I'd love 8v8; more emphasis on winning 1v1s/skirmishes and less potato tornado. It's a much better overall game mode. Also, fac play 5.0 when? These people bitching about low fac play quality, y'all should have done a FP tie-in with the BT launch and tried to get the lore nerds on board.

#245 Vanguard836

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

I have to side with "maybe" ; No for now but maybe yes down the line.

While yes 8v8 would make it more important for individual pilots to provide to the game than 12v12, I wonder if changes to game modes and balancing could address some of the current issues seen by the player base.

Should game modes, balance issues and new features be taking priority over this. I believe so and some time down the road the question of 8v8 be re-examined.

#246 Manicus

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

View PostEatit, on 07 June 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

I'm appalled at the language many of these posts use to describe new players e.g. "Spuds". This game has a learning curve that is challenging to new players. We were all "Spuds" when we started out.

I hear a lot of crap about the game driving away new players. I think it may just be the community that drives away the new players. The language used in-game during matches, the salt thrown at obviously new players is terrible.

I played when it was 8v8 and stomps were more common then. 12v12 allows new players more freedom to screw up without severely impacting the team. in 8v8 a screw up from one player will have more impact and many of you will throw more salt discouraging new people from continuing to play.

Maybe we can all adjust the way we treat new players? Maybe we can try to educate them and not expect them to be good day one? Maybe we should try to encourage rather than call them names.

PGI you should be ashamed of yourselves to allow posts with obviously negative terms used to describe new players. Do you hate your new players? If not why do you allow them to be treated like you do? Zero Tolerance for player bashing should be the proper response.

Exactly. It's horridly disrespectful and this "OMG I"M SO GUD UR A POTATO" attitude just drives away new players. It's destructive to the game and these attitudes are the worst. The game would be better off without people like them.

#247 talbs

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:05 AM

yes please back to 8

#248 Korvus Knull

• Pip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:06 AM

I would like a 24x24 mode!

#249 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:08 AM

The only reason we need 8v8 is to lower the TTK and wait times.

TTK can easily be reduced is the player base stopped boating meta-boats or the meta was reigned in. But sadly that will never happen, you can thank Clan Crocodile Tears for that.

Wait times will always be an issue.

#250 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

should switch 12v10 3 lance vs 2 star like i suggested 5 years ago and unnerf clam weaponry.

#251 THOR HAMMER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 105 posts
  • LocationNEVADA

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

Keep 3 Lances 9v9 ?. The maps that have been created are way too large for 8v8 you would need to bring back the old maps or Make two separate quick play options (12v12) and (8v8 or 9v9) and have the 8v8 or 9v9 play on the old maps that were removed ?. This would add a new aspect to the game I would LOVE it !! if we had this option and got the old maps back as well to play 8v8 or 9v9 ?.The quick play now gets very tiring and this would alleviate that and add new Fresh Perspective ….

Edited by THOR HAMMER, 07 June 2018 - 10:16 AM.

#252 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

Nearly stoped playing due to lack of content progress in 12v12/ FP and instead getting 1vs 1 boring mode.

Smaler matches instead of some serious and frequent multiplayer content updates won't make it better.

Get back to a regular (1/4 y or less) content upgrade (and I mean stuff to play aka maps modes and missions not effin mech packs) or just scrap MWO and forget that sh...

MWOs only selling point above its predecessors was the prospect of large scale dynamic faction battles (not even up to date graphics and game engine tech isn't realy a selling point)
Your going back on less than 12v12 is basicaly the final confession of not even beeing able to substain the basic requirements for all the other promises you made and plans you presented during the last years.

Edited by The Basilisk, 07 June 2018 - 10:18 AM.

#253 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:17 AM

Yes, and of course return old good maps, that have been deleted due to "being too small for 12vs12". Scrap maps, everybody hates and refuses to play, like new River City, new Forest Colony, Polar Highlands, etc.

#254 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

Think 8 vs 8 should be a option but it will burn too many players to totally replace 12 vs 12 after all these years.

That said, 8 vs 8 makes way more sense for random matches. It would also be a good excuse to bring back some of the older, smaller maps old hats never shut up about.

#255 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

It seems like a net gain if we switch to 8v8. Better performance in game. Less wait out of game. I'm not holding my breath for it actually improving the matchmaker. Since it would make each individual contribution to the match have more value. It could go either way with that. But requiring less people per match might be good in the face of a shrinking playerbase.

#256 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Nay, nay and thrice nay . . . . 8 v 8 when the player pool was a lot larger would have resulted in better matches; now with the reduced pool, 8 v 8 will only bring about more stomps where the competition teams can readily drop 2 lances together. Better to dump Sol7 and set up a dedicated option for the purposes of 8 v 8 where the bigger units can go and have good fights with their peers rather than potato hunting mixed groups . . . now is not the time to alienate even more players.

#257 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

yeah change the only Part of MWO who realy works as intended. who has such Ideas ?Posted Image

#258 Thunder Fist

• Pip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

View PostTHOR HAMMER, on 07 June 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Keep 3 Lances 9v9 ?. The maps that have been created are way too large for 8v8 you would need to bring back the old maps or Make two separate quick play options (12v12) and (8v8 or 9v9) and have the 8v8 or 9v9 play on the old maps that were removed ?. This would add a new aspect to the game I would LOVE it !! if we had this option and got the old maps back as well to play 8v8 or 9v9 ?.The quick play now gets very tiring and this would alleviate that and add new Fresh Perspective ….
I vote for this.

#259 Scarecrow24th

• PipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

With this action Mechwarrior Online will lose a lot of players just because they want to wave something off if there are players who vote for no. -.-

#260 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

I dont really mind 8vs8 but the problem is that the less people the more the trolls will matter, those spiders who suicide at start will be much more of a handicap.

Solaris imo is a fail, change it, what are so many divisions for anyway?! When will the actual good game get the UI improvements of solaris part? (also... get steam cards and allow to trade unwanted items for bills)

Edited by Rhaezor, 07 June 2018 - 10:24 AM.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users