Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4178 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1990 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. No (2015 votes [48.23%])

Percentage of vote: 48.23%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.14%])

Percentage of vote: 4.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#481 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:06 PM

View PostSoulless86, on 09 June 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

I've had one faction game in three weeks, where as quick play takes less time to fins than a solarias game.
If anything increase game sizes, make larger maps and allow respawn and load-out selection during a match.

I long for a battlefield style game with mechs and the mechlab.

No respawns ever

#482 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 09 June 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

Limit group size to 4 and make matches of flexible sizes: 4, 8 and 12. Everyone wanting bigger sized groups can play comp or FW.

I like this line of thinking, especially in light of all the disconnects in the last three weeks.

#483 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

We are letting the 12v12 people win. Many of the players today were not around for 8v8 and they don't know how much better the game was when it was 8v8. If you want big games, play faction warfare and then there will be enough players so faction warfare won't be as "dead" as it is today.

View PostNameless King, on 09 June 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

No respawns ever

We tolerated the addition of respawns in Faction Play, but many of us will not tolerate it in QP, if this happens, many of us will stop playing.

#484 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:25 PM

I'm a fan of the immersion in 12 vs 12, and would even support a battlefield of 24 vs 24 in faction play as an occasional event.

That said I'm not against 8 vs 8 for the arguments you proposed.

im also not really in for splitting the community in two parts, but 8 vs 8 seems a welcome variety. Can we find a more ingenious way to use it than to alter QP for good? But actually, what if we consider that there may be people leaving MWO due to poor performance of their pcs? They would benefit from 8 vs 8 games, and may want to continue whereas they would quit in 12 vs 12..

I'm feeling for a system where we can choose our interest in 8vs8 and/or 12vs12, much like where we can adjust our server locations, for QP. Main reason is as above: to keep the players that don't enjoy 12 vs 12 for whatever reason.

#485 Nettler

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

I want larger matches not smaller...

#486 BulletChief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 292 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

Wow, your community is almost exactly split in half.

That's never a good thing.

#487 Saint Sutherland

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:51 PM

To all those asking for bigger teams. That is a bad idea. Down right moronic.
Today most of the quick play games I played took between 3 to 5 minutes to find a match. Bigger team size could mean 6 to 10 minutes. No THANKS. Also this is a faux poll. 8 v 8 was never going to happen even if the poll was an overwhelming yes.

#488 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

View PostBulletChief, on 09 June 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

Only if you plan on implementing the thing they are split on.

Some time ago some players asked / demanded to bring back 8v8. PGI said that they believe the community is split on this and that they don't want to implement something that will have a large impact on the base game that not the majority of people want. Those same players told PGI that they are lying and that the majority of players DO want 8v8 and that they demand a poll and did the normal obnoxious twitter thing.

Guess PGI wasn't lying.

Edited by ForceUser, 09 June 2018 - 10:34 PM.

#489 D V Devnull

• 4,296 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:01 AM

View PostSoulless86, on 09 June 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

I've had one faction game in three weeks, where as quick play takes less time to fins than a solarias game.
If anything increase game sizes, make larger maps and allow respawn and load-out selection during a match.

I long for a battlefield style game with mechs and the mechlab.

PGI might not be able to make Larger Rounds due to Technical Reasons & Restrictions, and they might not be able to allow you to just respawn in any choice of Mech you own due to Technical Reasons & Restrictions, but you've managed to identify something that's hurting MWO badly. Right now, any New Player who launches into a round is too likely to be smashed and fail to learn from the experience. The BEST (at least to me... and likely, Only) way to fix that is Infinite Respawn in Quick Play, with the same Mech Loadout on every respawn drop, in rounds where there is more of an Objective than "Skirmish - Wipe Out The Enemy Team" to be done. This both forces the Objective to be played out properly, which can result in a match that is much closer and more fun, as well as ensures that New Players can actually learn from their mistakes in Quick Play and get a feel of how to play MWO too. Until such time as that happens, PGI is going to have a hard time getting New Players to stick around on MWO's battlefields and various Game Modes. The ONLY Game Mode in Modern Times that should still be done in a "Last Man Standing - Single Spawn Only" format at this point is indeed "Skirmish", unless it would work better to have "Team with Most Kills in 15 Minutes is the Winner" as the measure of who wins. But frankly, I think that could get a little tedious, so "Skirmish" should remain untouched as a "Single-Spawn Only" Game Mode. Remember, we can't force people to use the In-Game VoIP, but we can get PGI to provide them the ability to learn to actually work with their teammates, instead of just leaving them blind of understanding how MWO works. :huh:

~Mr. D. V. "Damned well understanding of how you feel..." Devnull

#490 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 842 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:39 AM

Hello Paul,

Can the next vote be if this fails, should Groups be 8v8 ? ( QP)

Edited by live1991, 10 June 2018 - 02:39 AM.

#491 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:39 AM

I vastly preferred 8vs8 when we had it. It feels you count more, while at the same time, it's a bit more foregiving. When you make a mistake and expose yourself to the enemy, there will likely always be a few less people shooting at you then in 12v12. This gives you more time to react.

I never liked the move to 12v12 in the first place.

#492 caseysrevenge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMaastricht netherlands

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:23 AM

Seen it done it reversed it back to 12 - 12.
MWO History repeating it self leave things alone .

#493 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:27 AM

View PostBulletChief, on 09 June 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

Mathematically thats excatly what is to be expected

#494 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:43 AM

I'm pro 8v8 for two reasons:

One: It seperates QP in more than just playtime from FW, making both modes more destinct and unique.

Two: Back when 8v8 was the norm this game ruled.

#495 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:39 AM

I wonder how many of these no voters were even around for the 8v8 days? That in itself throws this entire vote off, as they've no way of experiencing it. Not a well done vote at all, but it's not my ship.

#496 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:11 AM

If you switch to 8VS8 can we get the smaller version of some maps back or put them in the rotation anyway because honsetly original Frozen City and Forest Colony is better.

#497 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:49 AM

View PostRevener, on 10 June 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

If you switch to 8VS8 can we get the smaller version of some maps back or put them in the rotation anyway because honsetly original Frozen City and Forest Colony is better.

I agree original Frozen City and Forest Colony were fun to play. Unfortunately Forest Colony was so small a map you could shoot one spawn zone from the other. Reusing them as scouting maps would be more suitable.

#498 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:33 AM

If we learned anything during this poll it's that many people want the old maps put back into rotation in some form or fashion. What harm would it do.. Higher FPS rates due to their smaller size? Epic brawl matches? 'New' old content that newer players haven't experienced?'

With every change there will always be dissenters.. but at least with this one, the player base will have a voice in choosing whether they want to drop on that map or not during the voting screen. Also, minimal PGI staff-time will have to be invested in re-implementing the old maps (I'm assuming).

I'd be curious to see the poll results questioning whether the old maps should be re-implemented or not.

PS. The old Frozen City was not small. Despite newer maps being physically larger, the same grid size is actually being utilized in 95% of matches. This grid size is much smaller than the old Frozen City. Old Frozen City had a great layout with layers of height and many flanking possibilities for lights... also the tunnel was used in half the matches.. the tunnel now rarely sees a mech due to it being so out of place.. it should definitely be re-implemented regardless of anything else imho.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 10 June 2018 - 08:43 AM.

#499 Defensores 6

• PipPip
  • Hero of Ghost Bear
  • Hero of Ghost Bear
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:15 AM

• An 8v8 Solaris style (group queue only) could do wonders for the more competitive teams. Nevermind, we have this already-make it better Posted Image
  • An 8v8 in solo queue seems strange and I don't see any benefit to the game or players. Get rid of the weird weight requirements and go back to the number limit per weight class (suggestion). 8v8 or 12v12 wouldn't matter.
  • Faction should remain 12v12 and revert to invasion only (IMO). There is much development that can be done with regard to enhancements here.
  • With regard to the old maps, I would love to see the old Forest Colony and the old Frozen City incorporated into a Solaris style group queue; those were the good 'ol days. Posted Image

#500 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 10 June 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

If we learned anything during this poll it's that many people want the old maps put back into rotation in some form or fashion. What harm would it do.. Higher FPS rates due to their smaller size? Epic brawl matches? 'New' old content that newer players haven't experienced?'

With every change there will always be dissenters.. but at least with this one, the player base will have a voice in choosing whether they want to drop on that map or not during the voting screen. Also, minimal PGI staff-time will have to be invested in re-implementing the old maps (I'm assuming).

I'd be curious to see the poll results questioning whether the old maps should be re-implemented or not.

PS. The old Frozen City was not small. Despite newer maps being physically larger, the same grid size is actually being utilized in 95% of matches. This grid size is much smaller than the old Frozen City. Old Frozen City had a great layout with layers of height and many flanking possibilities for lights... it should definitely be re-implemented regardless of anything else imho.

I'd like to see the old maps used for 4v4 or even Solaris matches, but definitely not 12v12. Most of them were too small for 8v8 already.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users