68 replies to this topic

#1 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

As of 27th July [IDI] will be no more, I would like to thank all the players, friends and lurkers that helped to make the last two years a fun, enjoyable and memorable ride. I know a lot of you will say "who?" but what you should be asking is "why?".

A group of almost FIFTY players has dropped to less than eight, a few of those that are left are so disheartened that they may quit the game all-together. The rest are looking to start anew with some like-minded individuals and no doubt you will hear from them shortly but think on the repercussions of units like mine folding and their players simply not being there:

Is the playerbase refreshing to fill that loss and if not, why not?

Nevermind "Why do new players quit?" Perhaps ask 'Why do old players quit?"

As an edit: I'm still kicking about most likely will be until the servers shut down. I've realised I'm too old to learn new gaming skills and six years of playing MWO has dulled the twitchy-FPS skills I once had.

Edited by xX PUG Xx, 19 August 2018 - 09:03 AM.

#2 Da Ugh 1701

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota, USA

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:50 PM

probably because PGI isn't punishing 'cheaters'. I've seen too many headshot kills from across the map.
or maybe because PGI is too busy making new mechs and not new maps? (sure it's a business, but you have to keep the game current) I've dropped my playing time quite a bit and pretty much only play on Sundays now, unless there's an event and my small clan doesn't play much anymore either. It just isn't as fun anymore

Edited by DaUgh1701, 23 July 2018 - 04:10 PM.

#3 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

I AM ALSO GONE
FOREVER!!!! BYE!!!!
dont ask about me!!!
you will never ever
see me again!
see you tommorow

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

Sad times PUG. Always good dropping with you lot, albeit rare due to timezone differences.

I know how you feel though... 54MR has gone from 100+ active unit members to about... 5. This occured since Skill Tree which totally killed off an entire unit of - reasonably skilled players - to simply lose the will to keep playing. That meant 3 comp teams left the pool as well. Sad times.

View PostDaUgh1701, on 23 July 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

probably because PGI isn't punishing 'cheaters'. I've seen too many headshot kills from across the map.

When people stand still and stare at a target, they are going to get headshot, by good players. Simple as that. I get them a lot against people who do just that, or skimp on head armour (never do that).

If you think there is common place hacking in the game you really do not know what you are talking about.

#5 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

or maybe because PGI is too busy making new mechs and not new maps? (sure it's a business, but you have to keep the game current) I've dropped my playing time quite a bit and pretty much only play on Sundays now, unless there's an event and my small clan doesn't play much anymore either. It just isn't as fun anymore

I haven't been killed by obvious cheaters for a while, though I suppose it's possible they just aren't as obvious as they used to be.
The game has always been subject to exploits, such as buggy hitboxes and other things affecting hit registration.

I'm more frustrated with matchmaking, lately. The last few friends I played with shared that frustration, very vocally, when I saw them.
The "Player Skill Rating" and Tier system are pretty much XP accumulators. I'm (still) a mediocre player, yet I can't get myself booted out of Tier 1.

It also doesn't help that the player base is split between multiple cues. 1000 players logged on at a time, was it? And that's a tiny player base for an MMO game, isn't it? So, even if PSR and Tier actually reflected player skill, the small number of available players would cause a difficult situation for matchmaking.
Still, if we're going to have sketchy matchmaking wouldn't we rather it was based on the right principles, and not how many XP we've gathered over the years?

Quick Play and Invasion require 24 people per match.
Scouting requires "only" 4 per side, but if you answer a call for scouting and you're waiting on your team's 3rd and 4th guys to show up, you could be waiting 10 minutes or more. PGI further split the player base by adding Solaris 7. Don't take that as a complaint about Solaris 7: In fact, I think that was a refreshing game mode to try a few times.

Now MWO has lost some stompy robot enthusiasts to Battletech. No surprise there.
MechWarrior 5 will also take some players out of MWO.

So, what I'm really trying to get at is:
With the players split so many ways, I see more and more appeal in the proposal to go back to 8 vs 8 for Quick Play.

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 23 July 2018 - 04:45 PM.

#6 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:37 PM

probably because PGI isn't punishing 'cheaters'.

No.

Partially yes. Also doesn't help that the 'Mechs they choose to reveal over the last half a year have been incredibly bland and uninteresting, at least to me, and often poor performers. Only the Flea was worth a purchase.

#7 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 23 July 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

Sad times PUG. Always good dropping with you lot, albeit rare due to timezone differences.

I know how you feel though... 54MR has gone from 100+ active unit members to about... 5. This occurred since Skill Tree which totally killed off an entire unit of - reasonably skilled players - to simply lose the will to keep playing. That meant 3 comp teams left the pool as well. Sad times.

Yes, I know the feeling. That Skill Tree was a pain in the @$$. I've spent years trying to "git gud", and occasionally getting kicked back down the learning curve. The Skill Tree was the biggest kick of all. And, of course, PGI will never admit to how many players they lost over that.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 23 July 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

When people stand still and stare at a target, they are going to get headshot, by good players. Simple as that. I get them a lot against people who do just that, or skimp on head armour (never do that).

Headshot or, more frequently, cored out with a couple of alpha strikes. The last time I played I saw a disappointing amount of players that would stare at targets, and not torso twist.

#8 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

Sorry to hear this....IDI was always fun to play with or against. All the best to you guys!

#9 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:57 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PUGGER i loved dropping into your teamspeak, it's the only one where i don't get ridiculed by my 24/7 drunkenness, its, welcomed. Mighty fine grou pof brawlers, u guys will be missed.

Is ur TS gonna still be active?

#10 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

It is sad to see yet another good unit fall into the ranks of the dispossessed (of players), but unsurprising.

PUG is right, PGI need to seriously look as to why it can't hold onto players, new and old alike.

I haven't played on this account since before Christmas, as an IS only account I was bored. So a I created a new account which was Clan only to experience the other half of the game. That kept me going until April when Battletech came out. I have not even updated my client since then. Frankly I am just bored with the game. Bored because there is simply nothing to do that is really any different from closed beta.

The fact is there is simply no reason to play.
-QP/GP is there to grind Cbills and XP
-Solaris is there to grind ones epeen until it is squashed by someone better
-FP is the mode I wanted to play since MWO was conceived but is has been disappointing on so many levels that I just can't list them all, but suffice to say is has devolved to QP with respawns when it should be so much more.

Basically MWO exists to grind stuff out, but with no other purpose or goal (ie see your faction win in FP) there is only so much of that any one can do before it gets boring or pointless.

At this point in time PGI needs to scrap FP and start again. They need to create a mode where:
-every bodys actions count towards helping their faction as well as helping them selves.
- achieving a factions goals helps every one in their faction.
-skill is less important than participating, but where those who can do more get rewarded more.

When they achieve that then they need to let old players know so they can give it another try. I reckon at least half the people I have met playing MWO whom have quit playing, quit simply because it was to little too late or some because of some stupid decision by PGI to fix something that didn't need fixing whilst ignoring problems that did. Many of them would come back if things change in the right way for them.

#11 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:13 PM

where doing ok at about 64,,,though not all of those are active" about 11 inactive" but still...doing ok.

sorry your having hardships though..never got the opportunity to game with yah..:(

#12 Greygor 727

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 106 posts
  • LocationDisney World

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:21 AM

If you wish to stay Merc's, may I recommend Z3TA Battalion contact BSG-75 or 'SD' Shadow Division contact Tthrasher.

If you are interested in a loyalist Clan Wolf unit SPQR, SPQR-Legion.enjin.com

#13 GBxGhostRyder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:31 AM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 23 July 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

As of 27th July [IDI] will be no more, I would like to thank all the players, friends and lurkers that helped to make the last two years a fun, enjoyable and memorable ride. I know a lot of you will say "who?" but what you should be asking is "why?".

A group of almost FIFTY players has dropped to less than eight, a few of those that are left are so disheartened that they may quit the game all-together. The rest are looking to start anew with some like-minded individuals and no doubt you will hear from them shortly but think on the repercussions of units like mine folding and their players simply not being there:

Is the playerbase refreshing to fill that loss and if not, why not?

Nevermind "Why do new players quit?" Perhaps ask 'Why do old players quit?"

The reason 500,000 + player quit after closed beta is (PGI WONT LISTEN TO ITS REAL COMMUNITY) and instead relies on FALSE WANTS AND ADVISE FROM A FEW top comp players and its self.

So what do you all expect? Russ and PGI took the Whales to the bank long ago now there is only dolphins left to fund the game when PGI said FFFFUUUUU we don't care what you have to say. LOL LOL LOL.

#14 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:56 AM

You're assuming PGI care about long-term players staying in the game...

With their recent 'balance' changes, their complete lack of commitment to FP, their refusal to stop PSR being an XP accumulator etc, I suspect PGI are more interested in catering to new players.

They've milked what they can out of us whales. Fresh marks are needed.

#15 Chilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

While I don't know you folks personally, I certainly recognize a number of the names in the thread as long time, very solid players. Very sorry to see you guys in IDI go!! I understand the reasoning though. For all its faults, I still enjoy playing the game for the most part, so am hoping to be able to for at least a short while yet. GL to you all!!

#16 Chilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

View Postslide, on 23 July 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

At this point in time PGI needs to scrap FP and start again. They need to create a mode where:
-every bodys actions count towards helping their faction as well as helping them selves.
- achieving a factions goals helps every one in their faction.
-skill is less important than participating, but where those who can do more get rewarded more.

Could not agree more!! I don't know the game lore \ economy mechanics \ etc. as well as others, but often wonder how much fun this game COULD be if FP contained components that resulted in actually achieving something that impacted the state of the game mode and REALLY gave us something to play for!

#17 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for the messages, I'll still be kicking around: there just isn't anywhere to get my hit of 'Mech on 'Mech destruction. MW:LL just doesn't measure up for me unfortunately.

One of the most frustrating things has been my feeling of the combat mechanic in MWO being pretty damn good, whilst the larger metagame being so poorly planned and implemented. Now the combat side is devolving into an absolute joke in every mode with the cointoss exception of solo-QP.; I've lost count of the number of large groups running nothing but NARC and LRM's. Which can be amusing once or twice but when facing it over and over it just gets mind numingly tedious. This is not the fault of those groups or their "victims", this is purely to be laid at the feet of PGI; the latest in a steady progression of poor "balance" decisions and a complete lack of in-depth development for the rest of the game.

Where's the illusive Community/Faction Warfare with player driven politics and contracts, bounty hunter missions and "End Game" content? Hell, where's the dedicated FP maps that are desperately needed, or simply redesigning maps like Boreal and Grim to be more balanced. Things that we have been waiting on for years, not weeks or months, YEARS.

But nevermind: do you want to buy a 'Mech pack?

#18 AnHell86

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 106 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:34 AM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 26 July 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

But nevermind: do you want to buy a 'Mech pack?

No, I don't want to buy a mech pack, thank you very much. :)

When Solaris kicked off, it was the final nail on the coffin for FP. Brutal blow to a part of the game that some of us were so looking forward to. Hell, PGI, why not delete FP once and for all. :D

Also, the frigging "Skill Tree" (aka mech upgrades that have no tonnage) and the constant meta changes SUCK.

I still get the occasional fun out of MWO, though. Hopefully, I will see you around!

#19 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

Yeah, with me getting a new job that doesn't allow me to drop with my Euro-buddies so much, I'm pretty bummed. But the great memories are still there:

IDI initiations

Shooting Devlin in the @$$

shooting fecking Jagers on the fecking hill

Shooting Devlin in the legs

Using the guy on the enemy team that didn't know the difference between all chat and team chat as our DC (damn fine one at that!)

Shooting Devlin anywhere, anytime

Killing ourselves faster than EVIL could kill us

<sigh> good times...

TBH, I think GSP killed it for me in a big way. I ended up with 16k GSP with the skill tree implementation and I still have 10k... I know some people wouldn't miss the grind but that was part of it for me;

Level the mech, learn the mech

Now its just buy, insta-level and meta it out... Sure I could *not* use the GSP but then I feel like, why have it?

I dunno, maybe I'm weird...

Shut up Devlin, of course I'm weird...

Edited by MovinTarget, 26 July 2018 - 09:04 AM.

#20 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:41 AM

Sorry to hear that!
It's been a pleasure fighting against and alongside you guys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users