131 replies to this topic

#61 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:12 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 29 August 2018 - 03:23 AM, said:

I think I've said this every year, but I belive tracking the rewards should be done with a simple bar that fills up as you spent money

If I spent 300$ on MC or basic packs it should be the same than having spent 300$ on ultimate packs

We've all learned not to expect PGI to do things the easy way, or the logical way. They always prefer their grand Rube Goldberg solutions to very simple problems.

#62 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

Just upgraded a few of my light standard packs to collectors. So should qualify for the warhammer now. Only cost me $30. Happy with doing this? Not really. But I know I'm going to really enjoy that warhammer.
Now I have a special edition Flea, so guess thats something. Meep meep.

#63 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

So ultimate pack doesn't qualify for the top tier reward, even though it costs nearly as much as two collector packs? I mean, I don't care about the new Warhammer, its hardpoints are trash but someone else might, especially if they bought clan ultimate pack, MAD IIC is a pretty good mech in general, even if it has just 7E hardpoints.

Edited by kapusta11, 30 August 2018 - 12:47 AM.

#64 Fryepod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 111 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUpstate, New York

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:18 PM

muhhh 5 year cupcake
yummmmmm

#65 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:03 AM

Honestly... Kinda "meh" on this one. The patterns look nice, but the variants themselves don't sound like anything special.

On the IS side, the MG Javelin could be pretty good as long as MGs remain in their current state by the time it releases. A JJ Rifleman isn't really all that interesting with JJs as weak as they are. Having the same arm hardpoints as the heroes is okay, but I don't see that as enough to make me want to get it. An ECM Warhammer also isn't going to really shake up the meta variants. The 6D is still going to be the energy Whammy king and the Black Widow will still be the ballistic king.

On the Clan side, the ECM ST for the Night Gyr could be useful but I don't see any of the other omnipods being of much value. And the Marauder doesn't seem like anything special either. JJs are pretty much universally considered a waste of tonnage on assaults.

Overall, none of these mechs are really going to add anything to the game besides the Javelin. Last year we got mechs that could carry loadouts that none of their variants in game at the time could. Ballistic Griffins, missile Urbies, ST ballistic Victors, Kit Foxes with ST hardpoints that didn't cost real money, and jumping Linebackers that changed the FP meta up for at least a short while. I don't really see these mechs as being anything more than a novelty.

#66 Doktorbike

• PipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 81 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:40 AM

View PostAncientRaig, on 30 August 2018 - 06:03 AM, said:

Honestly... Kinda "meh" on this one. The patterns look nice, but the variants themselves don't sound like anything special.

On the IS side, the MG Javelin could be pretty good as long as MGs remain in their current state by the time it releases. A JJ Rifleman isn't really all that interesting with JJs as weak as they are. Having the same arm hardpoints as the heroes is okay, but I don't see that as enough to make me want to get it. An ECM Warhammer also isn't going to really shake up the meta variants. The 6D is still going to be the energy Whammy king and the Black Widow will still be the ballistic king.

On the Clan side, the ECM ST for the Night Gyr could be useful but I don't see any of the other omnipods being of much value. And the Marauder doesn't seem like anything special either. JJs are pretty much universally considered a waste of tonnage on assaults.

Overall, none of these mechs are really going to add anything to the game besides the Javelin. Last year we got mechs that could carry loadouts that none of their variants in game at the time could. Ballistic Griffins, missile Urbies, ST ballistic Victors, Kit Foxes with ST hardpoints that didn't cost real money, and jumping Linebackers that changed the FP meta up for at least a short while. I don't really see these mechs as being anything more than a novelty.

There is more than likely a probable reason for the mechs not being as strong this year & that reason is us, the community(not me personally), who complained & cried to PGI that they were "pay to win" boo-hoohoo.... & forcing PGI to release cbill versions which do not sell for real money & hence make zero for the company & the game. I'm not having a pop at you or your comment, I just feel that folks should know how a lot of the time it's the community that causes the problems in MWO & then pass all the blame onto PGI. Again AncientRaig, It's not me being against what you personally said.

#67 Deeber

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 90 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

The first year I qualified for reward mechs, I only had a vague idea about what they were, so it was nice to gain a new mech. The second year I qualified, I was excited to gain all of the reward mechs for that year. This year (the third year I'm qualifying), I find myself almost completely apathetic about gaining new mechs.

A large factor in this is the fact that I own more mechs than I did previously (so the novelty value has worn off a bit, and the gaps in my arsenal are fewer), but the thought of having to skill up new mechs is a non-trivial factor as well. When I was in the lower tiers, this wasn't such an issue, but I'm now regularly facing players who are far, far better than I am ... so playing MWO is a real 'uphill battle' experience nowadays.

In any case, this annual reward scheme is a nice gesture, and I appreciate it.

#68 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostDeeber, on 30 August 2018 - 07:58 AM, said:

A large factor in this is the fact that I own more mechs than I did previously (so the novelty value has worn off a bit, and the gaps in my arsenal are fewer), but the thought of having to skill up new mechs is a non-trivial factor as well. When I was in the lower tiers, this wasn't such an issue, but I'm now regularly facing players who are far, far better than I am ... so playing MWO is a real 'uphill battle' experience nowadays.

A post I made earlier today touched on this a bit with the Vulcan. There are builds that are more or less viable depending on how skilled up the mech is, so you have to think about builds you can use from the outset and when you can move to different or more advanced builds.

It's actually part of the game I like; the theory-crafting of a new, unskilled mech then taking it out and seeing how it does. Once you get skill points in it you can then move to certain nodes (magazine capacity, cooling, speed tweak, etc.) and start exchanging things like heatsinks, ammo, or engines and reallocate the weight savings towards firepower.

My starting build with the Vulcan was a simple AC10, 2xMedium Laser build with 2 1/2 tons of ammo. It was a cool build, the AC10 provided a decent punch and recycled quickly enough to be ready when I needed it, and the medium lasers were adequate backup firepower. Getting some skill nodes in it has allowed me to try builds based on weapons like a snub-nosed PPC, Heavy PPC or AC20, something I wouldn't have considered with an unskilled Vulcan. If you build your mech and adopt a play style around how many skill nodes it has instead of how well it will do when fully skilled up you might have better success from the outset and be less discouraged by its performance.

#69 Foxtwat

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

Huzzah!

Rewards for us F2P potatoes.

Thanks PGI for supporting your #PauperPilots

#70 KlLLJOY

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Mn

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:05 AM

I think that it is very poor form for players not to qualify for the Rifleman reward mech if they have purchased the Solaris Mech pack.

That pack is $30 and not giving us the 2nd tier reward for it just seems stingy.

#71 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:39 AM

Look, I haven't got much love for PGI as of late, but considering what you got from that pack... you already get a crapload up to and including a Rifleman hero. I wonder if perhaps it isn't someone else being stingy.

After all I barely bought anything but a Flea, the solaris pack and was gifted a Piranha. For that I got a Rifleman, whatever the Clan thing gets, and this abomination.
Posted Image

So if you didn't get a Rifleman, maybe you could have sacrificed a single coffee and burger run at McDonalds to have one?

#72 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:37 PM

View PostDoktorbike, on 30 August 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:

There is more than likely a probable reason for the mechs not being as strong this year & that reason is us, the community(not me personally), who complained & cried to PGI that they were "pay to win" boo-hoohoo.... & forcing PGI to release cbill versions which do not sell for real money & hence make zero for the company & the game. I'm not having a pop at you or your comment, I just feel that folks should know how a lot of the time it's the community that causes the problems in MWO & then pass all the blame onto PGI. Again AncientRaig, It's not me being against what you personally said.

Loyalty mech variants always get released for c-bills eventually. PGI mostly makes money from its mechpacks. I don't think anyone buys packs thinking "Oh boy, I'm only doing this to get the loyalty mechs at the end of the year!". And while your point might be entirely valid and accurate, I still wish they could have introduced mechs that would at the very least do something new for that chassis.

#73 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:54 PM

yeah, only time we've had a completely unique mech was the King Crab, and that's only because that was really the first year they did Loyalty Rewards (which was right after they kicking IGP to the curb, if i remember right).

people tend to forget that annoying as PGI can be, they used to be FAR worse under IGP's thumb... Khan Mechs anyone?

People who bought those golden abominations STILL get shot on sight regardless of what side they're on just due to that debacle.

#74 Deeber

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 90 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:34 AM

View PostRuccus, on 30 August 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

If you build your mech and adopt a play style around how many skill nodes it has instead of how well it will do when fully skilled up you might have better success from the outset and be less discouraged by its performance.

Oh, I certainly do that. The discouragement is less due to the mech (and how many skill nodes are unlocked for it), and more due to my low skill level relative to most of the opposition I'm facing these days. (And this isn't a criticism of anyone or anything, except possibly the matchmaking parameters that are currently in place. There's no way someone like me should be playing in the same matches as players in the first few pages of the Jarl's List ...)

#75 BumbaCLot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:27 AM

View PostArkhangel, on 30 August 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

yeah, only time we've had a completely unique mech was the King Crab, and that's only because that was really the first year they did Loyalty Rewards (which was right after they kicking IGP to the curb, if i remember right).

people tend to forget that annoying as PGI can be, they used to be FAR worse under IGP's thumb... Khan Mechs anyone?

People who bought those golden abominations STILL get shot on sight regardless of what side they're on just due to that debacle.

Hmm, I just came back after 5 years and got the King Crab, Atlas S, a centurion maybe, and GDPR Nova.
So that Crab was most likely a 2014 reward for my purchases in 2013?

#76 BumbaCLot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

View PostDeeber, on 31 August 2018 - 03:34 AM, said:

Oh, I certainly do that. The discouragement is less due to the mech (and how many skill nodes are unlocked for it), and more due to my low skill level relative to most of the opposition I'm facing these days. (And this isn't a criticism of anyone or anything, except possibly the matchmaking parameters that are currently in place. There's no way someone like me should be playing in the same matches as players in the first few pages of the Jarl's List ...)

If the matchmaker and player population is balanced then that should only happen 1/3 of the time. Take it as a positive, if you die early you can get into their cockpits and learn, and be amazed vs getting into the cockpit of a tier 5 in a trial mech or another tier 3 with advanced zoom on shooting someone 250m away.

#77 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostBumbaCLot, on 31 August 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

Hmm, I just came back after 5 years and got the King Crab, Atlas S, a centurion maybe, and GDPR Nova.
So that Crab was most likely a 2014 reward for my purchases in 2013?

pretty sure. interesting thing about the original Loyalty Rewards is some people ended up with doubles of those mechs due them changing stuff around (probably to fix something), me being one of them.

Atlas S has to be one of the best reward Mechs we've ever gotten, just given the fact of the sheer brutality that thing can dish out, and it doesn't suffer from the "kill right torso to neuter weaponry" problem most other Atlases have.

Gave the thing the nickname "Painbringer" for a reason. Still remember FP matches where I actually saw up to and including Dire Wolves backing off from a charge I was leading just to avoid the barrage it was capable of (Build at the time was four Med Pulse, AC/20 and Quad SRM6s). If i recall, my current setup is pretty much the same, other than occasionally swapping the 20 out for an LB or Ultra version. Did also try swapping the SRMs for MRMs, but didn't feel the same.

At its core, the Atlas S is a Brawling Juggernaut. Best not to fight it.

#78 Deeber

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 90 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostBumbaCLot, on 31 August 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

If the matchmaker and player population is balanced then that should only happen 1/3 of the time. Take it as a positive, if you die early you can get into their cockpits and learn, and be amazed vs getting into the cockpit of a tier 5 in a trial mech or another tier 3 with advanced zoom on shooting someone 250m away.

If. Posted Image

#79 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:54 AM

I was pleasantly surprised at the inclusion of the Hatamota-chi.

I will be even more surprised and stand ready to dispense of more cash if the clan options are

Savage Coyote (since we have had a Light, Medium, and Heavy already)

twinned with the Rabid Coyote

Coyote decals and other items would be a great addition now that Steel Vipers are also in.

#80 Mafarrico

• PipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:50 PM

Thank you for the rewards I will get, 3 mechs, but I spent 240$ on this game this year only, I really love this game, wish it could show me some love too, because spending wise I more than qualify to get all the rewards, hope next year it will be better or I will stop showing PGI my love.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users