Proper Battle Etiquette

125 replies to this topic

#121 Asylum Choir

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:27 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 29 October 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

Except the OP clearly stated that he was unable to kill the guy his target hid behind.

Here's what happened -

OP got into a fight with guy A. Guy A is losing the trade, moves into cover behind guy B.

Guy B either drives OP off or kills OP. We don't know which. So guy A survives and helps his team win the match.

You have a skewed perspective on fair play. Fair play doesn't mean you screw your whole team or roll over and die if you lose a single exchange. I'm trying to picture a game of, say, tennis under your rules. So we're making returns and I draw you in close to the net then lob it back over your head. Do you refuse to fall back and return it or say 'Gosh MischiefSC, that was cunningly done. I'm just going to not try to return it and instead give you that point.' Because I would consider that incredibly contemptuous.

This is a team game. You're accountable to your team and your teammates are the primary resource you're supposed to lean into to win. This isn't supposed to be played as 12 sets of 1 v 1. Go play Solaris for that.

So in your version of soccer if I see you juggle the ball past a teammate am I required to get out of the way and the goalie stands aside, saying 'Well, you out-maneuvered one of my teammates. jolly well done! We're going to let you score.' If I juggle past you are you forbidden from chasing and seeing if you can recover the ball?

Guy A did exactly what he's supposed to do. He moved up to engage and if he's losing he needs get into cover. Behind a teammate is fine if there's nothing else - I would rather a teammate who's running is behind me instead of in front of me spoiling my shot anyway.

Bad sportsmanship in a game like this is, for example, killing someone who's discoed. Talking trash and being rude. Running off and hiding to save your KDR. Hiding and only popping out hoping to steal kills. Teamwork and leaning into your team isn't bad sportsmanship because it's a team game.

I think you misunderstood my viewpoint somewhat. agreed I can't really get the guy's intention, but I've seen enough on this thread already. My "skewed" viewpoint was taught to me by my school, multiple martial arts teachers and practically every adult I interacted with as I grew up.
I won't use a team mate as a personal damage shield if I can help it. Maybe that makes me an idiot in your book, so be it.
If I pick a fight and get outplayed I'll generally fight it out and learn from it. I won't hide behind someone else and get their game ended before it should have because I screwed up, others are here to have fun too. If that makes me an idiot in your eyes so be it.
You and I live by different rules I guess.

#122 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:02 AM

View PostAsylum Choir, on 09 March 2019 - 06:27 AM, said:

I think you misunderstood my viewpoint somewhat. agreed I can't really get the guy's intention, but I've seen enough on this thread already. My "skewed" viewpoint was taught to me by my school, multiple martial arts teachers and practically every adult I interacted with as I grew up.
I won't use a team mate as a personal damage shield if I can help it. Maybe that makes me an idiot in your book, so be it.
If I pick a fight and get outplayed I'll generally fight it out and learn from it. I won't hide behind someone else and get their game ended before it should have because I screwed up, others are here to have fun too. If that makes me an idiot in your eyes so be it.
You and I live by different rules I guess.

Dude, if I'm your teammate, and I'm at 100% health and you are hurt (but you still have weapons to contribute), please get behind me so you don't die. I'm happy to absorb some hits for you so that you can pop out later and keep shooting at our enemies.

I'd really prefer it if you didn't let yourself get killed out of some sense of "honor".

If you want your 1v1 jollies, that's what Solaris is for.

#123 VulcanXIV

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:49 AM

Completely overreacting. Even if that guy wasn't good enough to twist, he certainly (probably by luck of the moment) made the perfect decision in hiding behind a teammate. It's a triple-whammy of:
a. Succeeding in staying alive
b. Deterring you from chasing after him to finish him off while also tempting you with an easy kill and possibly causing you to take more damage than you should.
c. The two points above allow him to poke around his teammate and fire back at you while you're suppressed and or running away.

If anything you probably fell for it and got triggered, thus here you are. Maybe that didn't happen but stop wasting our time. How is this even a valid complaint. "eyy this sod was a total coward what say you, chaps?"

#124 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:30 AM

fight the enemy not the team

#125 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

Posted Image

#126 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:47 AM

If a team mate does something dumb game after game
and you keep helping and covering them for their stupid
Are your really helping them?

Butter to steer dem right at the risk of some butthurtz

In the short term it may be painfull
But in the long run they are better off, as the geet pointed the right way quicker, less trauma Posted Image

More winning

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 10 March 2019 - 03:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users