Proper Battle Etiquette

125 replies to this topic

#101 Judah Malganis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:23 AM

Sportsmanship as i was taught by my schooling and parents/family is the HOW you conduct yourself during your sport.

In sports, it's perfectly acceptable for a player to run a chasing opponent into a blocker or blocking line, so I'm not sure what sport you play.

I've seen players give up the ghost the moment they start taking damage, and stop moving and firing, even powering down/logging off in some cases, the moment things look south. I've had opponents that stopped moving and let me have the kill when I opened their CT, not because they overheated, but because they didn't feel like fighting. That's far less sportsman-like than putting your best foot forward and challenging your opponents to work for a win and it's a huge disservice to their team and the game overall.

The average player in this game is held down by cowardice and disinterest in working for a win far more than by any lack of skill or build knowledge.

Edited by Judah Malganis, 28 October 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#102 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:33 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 October 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

damaged mechs are supposed to rotate to the rear so they can be farmed by squirrels stay alive.

Five stars, sir.

I play super aggressively until cored, then I go to the back of the group to become fish food, like a good citizen.

#103 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:38 PM

View PostAsylum Choir, on 28 October 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

If the other guy is as banged up as him, and he uses that guy as cover so he can live a bit longer-potentially sacrificing the other guy for his personal gain, no that's not good sportsmanship.
Well at least not by the definition of my school education, and every other adult that taught me about it growing up.

Sportsmanship as i was taught by my schooling and parents/family is the HOW you conduct yourself during your sport.
In this particular case, the guy doing what he did is shockingly poor going by what I was taught.
Now, the fact he picked an unfair fight to start with, expecting to beast the op and then getting outplayed and running...that's something else entirely. but him using a fellow friendly as a human shield, that wasn't fresh.....well.....
If people think that that's ok..I despair..the playerbase in this game is very,very timid to start with maybe this type of thinking is why...

Now as I said before, why the op even bothered with this post is beyond me as modern gamers don't care. Winning is everything. You mention fairplay and you get scoffed at, like it's a mental illness or something.

When was the last time you actually KNEW how damaged your allies were in the middle of a fight? Do you have some secret way to press 'r' on allies?

How do you tell? Visually?

Do you know how damaged an armless, smoking hellbringer is? Not very. Because the arms are stripped and everything is in the torsos. I suggest not reviewing the "facts" from a one sided story and actually take the minute to put yourself in both pilots' positions.

#104 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:00 PM

View PostWil McCullough, on 28 October 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

When was the last time you actually KNEW how damaged your allies were in the middle of a fight? Do you have some secret way to press 'r' on allies?

How do you tell? Visually?

Do you know how damaged an armless, smoking hellbringer is? Not very. Because the arms are stripped and everything is in the torsos. I suggest not reviewing the "facts" from a one sided story and actually take the minute to put yourself in both pilots' positions.

Default key "q"

#105 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:37 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 28 October 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

Default key "q"

Or if they are in your lance, looking in the top left corner.

They should probably make it more obvious though, knowing when you teammates are being hit is pretty important info.

#106 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:36 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 28 October 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

Default key "q"

TIL this.

View PostShifty McSwift, on 28 October 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

Or if they are in your lance, looking in the top left corner.

They should probably make it more obvious though, knowing when you teammates are being hit is pretty important info.

top left only gives you health percentages, which mean very little cos there's no context.

Edited by Wil McCullough, 29 October 2018 - 03:38 AM.

#107 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:20 AM

There's plenty of context if you can do math, are looking in the direction of the fight, and are paying attention to where your team mates are getting hit.

#108 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:25 AM

The only proper battle etiquette when you see me is: 1) turn around, 2) look at your feet, and 3) power down.

Any of you not doing this is doing it wrong and will be reported for breach of etiquette.

#109 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 29 October 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

There's plenty of context if you can do math, are looking in the direction of the fight, and are paying attention to where your team mates are getting hit.

if you're doing all that, there's no need to even look at the damage % bar. which makes it kinda redundant.

#110 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 29 October 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

Health percentage doesn't say anything about actual armor state. Last night I finished a game at 48%: one arm gone (no weapons or HS), yellow/orange/red everywhere else. My CT was yellow armor and I could have fought on for a long time. On the other hand, a guy can be 80% with a one-touch open CT.

#111 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:35 PM

Can’t believe this thread is still going.....please make it stop. The OP seems immune to accepting the logic (so debate is futile), of what most likely went down, because he knows what the enemy pilot knew about the health of his buddy and also knows the enemy pilot had cowardly motivations anyway. How this telepathic knowledge was obtained is too profound for us mere mortals to understand...so again...enough time and breath has been wasted on this topic.

#112 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 04:06 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 29 October 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

Health percentage doesn't say anything about actual armor state. Last night I finished a game at 48%: one arm gone (no weapons or HS), yellow/orange/red everywhere else. My CT was yellow armor and I could have fought on for a long time. On the other hand, a guy can be 80% with a one-touch open CT.

And I can look your way to see which side you are favoring, note how aggressive you are being, and generally surmise you are good to go.

The tools don't give you a 100% accurate picture, but you can draw enough information from context to generally know what condition a team mate is in.

#113 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 29 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

You can see teammate damage just by looking at their mech. Damage decals and smoke paint a pretty good picture.

What you can't see is the state of their weapons. You have no idea how many functional weapons they still have.

#114 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

View PostAsylum Choir, on 28 October 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

If the other guy is as banged up as him, and he uses that guy as cover so he can live a bit longer-potentially sacrificing the other guy for his personal gain, no that's not good sportsmanship.
Well at least not by the definition of my school education, and every other adult that taught me about it growing up.

In this particular case, the guy doing what he did is shockingly poor going by what I was taught.
Now, the fact he picked an unfair fight to start with, expecting to beast the op and then getting outplayed and running...that's something else entirely. but him using a fellow friendly as a human shield, that wasn't fresh.....well.....
If people think that that's ok..I despair..the playerbase in this game is very,very timid to start with maybe this type of thinking is why...

Now as I said before, why the op even bothered with this post is beyond me as modern gamers don't care. Winning is everything. You mention fairplay and you get scoffed at, like it's a mental illness or something.

Except the OP clearly stated that he was unable to kill the guy his target hid behind.

Here's what happened -

OP got into a fight with guy A. Guy A is losing the trade, moves into cover behind guy B.

Guy B either drives OP off or kills OP. We don't know which. So guy A survives and helps his team win the match.

You have a skewed perspective on fair play. Fair play doesn't mean you screw your whole team or roll over and die if you lose a single exchange. I'm trying to picture a game of, say, tennis under your rules. So we're making returns and I draw you in close to the net then lob it back over your head. Do you refuse to fall back and return it or say 'Gosh MischiefSC, that was cunningly done. I'm just going to not try to return it and instead give you that point.' Because I would consider that incredibly contemptuous.

This is a team game. You're accountable to your team and your teammates are the primary resource you're supposed to lean into to win. This isn't supposed to be played as 12 sets of 1 v 1. Go play Solaris for that.

So in your version of soccer if I see you juggle the ball past a teammate am I required to get out of the way and the goalie stands aside, saying 'Well, you out-maneuvered one of my teammates. jolly well done! We're going to let you score.' If I juggle past you are you forbidden from chasing and seeing if you can recover the ball?

Guy A did exactly what he's supposed to do. He moved up to engage and if he's losing he needs get into cover. Behind a teammate is fine if there's nothing else - I would rather a teammate who's running is behind me instead of in front of me spoiling my shot anyway.

Bad sportsmanship in a game like this is, for example, killing someone who's discoed. Talking trash and being rude. Running off and hiding to save your KDR. Hiding and only popping out hoping to steal kills. Teamwork and leaning into your team isn't bad sportsmanship because it's a team game.

#115 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:14 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 29 October 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

And I can look your way to see which side you are favoring, note how aggressive you are being, and generally surmise you are good to go.

The tools don't give you a 100% accurate picture, but you can draw enough information from context to generally know what condition a team mate is in.

In a split second when you're running from an enemy that is shooting you and you're one-touch from death? Huh. Okay.

And frankly, no, that's some BS unless you know the build and the pilot well. A sword-and-board build may look wrecked to hell, may, favor one side, and yet be far from death. Smoke doesn't mean much either because you can be smoking at 95%. Armor looks damaged no matter how much damage is actually applied. Run a small laser across a mech and watch it turn gray and bubbled. And many pilots are bad at shielding vulnerable components or don't bother to torso twist ever.

So yeah, you're going to tell me you've got this perfect knowledge of pilot tendencies, have watched all teammates closely since the start of a match to observe damage, and can tell what components are opened up by how they're driving? Okay.

Like I said, I was sub-50 percent health in my IV-4, missing an arm and probably looked shot to hell. But my CT was yellow and my side torsos orange. It's really hard to tell without the paper doll.

Edited by Kubernetes, 30 October 2018 - 01:18 AM.

#116 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:08 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 29 October 2018 - 03:36 AM, said:

top left only gives you health percentages, which mean very little cos there's no context.

Other than the context that a member of your lance is currently being hit by weapons, and a rough guess at the type of weapons and enemy numbers depending on how quickly the number changes. Or if they made it to cover, or are being pounded repeatedly etc etc.

But sure... Very little meaning.

#117 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:02 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 30 October 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

Other than the context that a member of your lance is currently being hit by weapons, and a rough guess at the type of weapons and enemy numbers depending on how quickly the number changes. Or if they made it to cover, or are being pounded repeatedly etc etc.

But sure... Very little meaning.

If your lancemate is getting hit and you have no visibility of what's going on over there other than a dwindling number, either one or both of you done goofed. Also, if you can guess what weapons or the number of enemies on a single display of your ally's %health, please teach me how.

I maintain that it's redundant because there's no consistent situation where you can make use of the information it provides.

#118 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:03 PM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:24 PM.

#119 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:20 PM

Its even easier to post on the forums and say it isn't possible instead of trying yourself.

Kaeb hit the nail on the head. No, I can't say with 100% certainty your actual status, but a glance and a momentary key press is usually more than enough for me to know how an engagement is going.

#120 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:37 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 30 October 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

Its even easier to post on the forums and say it isn't possible instead of trying yourself.

Kaeb hit the nail on the head. No, I can't say with 100% certainty your actual status, but a glance and a momentary key press is usually more than enough for me to know how an engagement is going.

Here's a question though. So what do you do if you press "q" and see that your teammate is just as banged up as you are? Keep pressing "q" on different teammates to find one fresher? Turn back to your opponent and go down fighting? I know i'm kinda shifting the goalposts but i think whether the information you receive is useful (in terms of follow up action) is kinda relevant to the discussion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users