67 replies to this topic

#41 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

Found that 2x UAC10's and ERPPC with xl240 3xjj's is a nice little poptart for the VGL-2 just find a nice little place and annoy some assaults.

Build does get toasty after 2 or 3 alpha's.

#42 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:39 PM

Running the 2 superstock. Took out the targeting computer and a couple jump jets to upgrade the UAC10 to a UAC20. Swapped out the MG's for LMG's for better range matchup with the other weapons. This may be a new favorite!

3 is 3HML with 3 ASRM6. Also lots of fun.

I love the jump jets, but without good arm weapons you don't have enough pitch to jump brawl. In no time you are way above enemies. I might pick up the reinforcements just so when I jump over enemies I can still rain doen missiles and lasers onto their heads.

#43 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:36 PM

View PostShanrak, on 14 November 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

Look how freaking big it is compared to the awesome:

Posted Image

Well duh, got to make it easy for them IS pilots to hit.

#44 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:49 PM

Posted Image

B-b-b-b-but PGI told me the volume adds up bruh.

#45 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:57 AM

My problem with the Vapor Eagle is the Piranha shoots it's legs off in 5-10 seconds even with full armor. The Piranha just crowds your mech's crotch like a bad doggy and because the Vapor Eagle's legs are so long and torso so immobile (the jump-jetter nerf) it can't hit the smaller mech. Another mech that is waiting for some quirks to fix it.

I thought they were buffing jump-jets?

#46 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:02 PM

Posted Image

ohhh, I did not know this. I think Piranha should just scrap the re-size formula, it obviously is not correct if a 55 tonner is bigger than a 80 tonner. I don't care what the math says, mediums are always smaller than assaults. Says so in BattleTech anyway. No wonder the Vapor eagle can't defend itself from the small mechs that mediums are supposed to be ideal for killing.

Back to the drawing board. Open a can of rocket-science or something.

Edited by Lightfoot, 18 November 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#47 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:42 PM

Yes the scale is significantly off, it is very easy to isolate components on the VGL espevially its arms, which tragically tend to contain a sizeable number of hardpoints. The VGL is sub par at brawling, it's armour feels like paper even though none of the locations are particularly larger than the others. The comparison with the Awesome is apt, it's basically the AWS of the medium class. The VGL is good at fire support, but hilariously despite the lore, PGI have managed to make it utterly poor at brawling. Oh and the assymetric energy hardpoint placement in the side torsos is a thing. Hilarious troll.

#48 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

Posted Image

Also, if the Vapor Eagle is going to be so large in MWO, it should be as agile as a Light mech with the very best torso mobility including pitch, which the Vapor Eagle is seriously deficient in. There has to be some enormous compensation for the thing being larger than an Awesome, but only 55 tons. Otherwise why would they have made it so large? (just assuming Clan mech designers were subject to logical thought I mean).

#49 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 November 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

Otherwise why would they have made it so large? (just assuming Clan mech designers were subject to logical thought I mean).

I'm pretty sure it's just PGI's chosen volumetric equation. It completely screws over specific types of geometry shapes compared to others. It's just another casualty in the crusade for uniformity and Normalization™.

#50 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:16 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 15 November 2018 - 06:45 AM, said:

amazing, i wonder what it would look like next to a Griffin though.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

All humanoid 55t tonners are pretty much the same size. Humanoid 50t mechs and 45t mechs are a tiny bit smaller.

Some mechs can be shorter than others due to very thick legs and boxy torsos (Hellbringer, Summoner, Thunderbolt, Cataphract) while mechs with very thin legs and low torso "depth" tend to be taller (Grasshopper). Vapor Eagle is not an outlier by any means.

#51 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

It just doesn't work that way in the game. Mechs this large take too much damage for their weight class. This is why most of PGI's mediums are weaker than their light mechs. It's very odd. In terms of competitiveness PGI's weight classes seem to go Medium, Light, Heavy, Assault. With a few exceptions.

#52 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:23 PM

Posted Image

That color scheme...

"It is a loathsome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away...”
...mainly because I don't want to be unable to return fire.

Edited by gooddragon2, 18 November 2018 - 03:24 PM.

#53 Stink Bug

• PipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:47 PM

Survived a game last night with 6% health in this thing. When jump jetting like a madman (which you can with the quirks and 5-6 JJ), this thing damage-spreads wonderfully (though the arms shed a bit easily).

I definitely feel a difference with the jump jets compared to say the griffin; I hope those quirks make their way to other existing chassis eventually.

#54 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 November 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

My problem with the Vapor Eagle is the Piranha shoots it's legs off in 5-10 seconds even with full armor. The Piranha just crowds your mech's crotch like a bad doggy and because the Vapor Eagle's legs are so long and torso so immobile (the jump-jetter nerf) it can't hit the smaller mech. Another mech that is waiting for some quirks to fix it.

I thought they were buffing jump-jets?

5-10 sec is...

An awfully long time. Most mechs can tear off a medium's leg in one good alpha.

#55 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:22 PM

Posted Image

... My 35 ton Wolfhound is eye level, cockpit to cockpit with the Awesome.

So is my Wolfhound super big? No, they made the Awesome the smallest assault in the game in a attempt to make up for the mech having the worse hitboxes in the game without having to remodel the entire mech on drasticly changing the hit box system.

If you want to get super meta; the original artwork for Battletech depicted little difference in size between weight classes, the difference in mass came from the armor, weapons and such. That's why a level one building is only partial cover for ether a Atlas or a Locust. The depiction of scale changed as the game went on but it only really hurts in MWO because the game uses the same hit box mechanic from the earliest incarnation and that doesn't do bod well with the current pixel count and particle mechanics. Thus= they made the Awesome 50% smaller (thus smaller hit boxes... it really needs a remodel) which only makes every other mech looks bad (people first screamed the Wolfhound was dead right after the re-scale)

#56 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:01 PM

Anyone tried any builds on the VGL-4 yet? For some reason this Heavy Small XL385 build looks worth trying out.

Might die in a ball of fire. I'll find out when I get off of work tomorrow.

Otherwise 7 Medium Pulse will be the standard.

Also you guys really should put the Veagle next to some assaults other than the Awesome.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 18 November 2018 - 09:03 PM.

#57 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:24 PM

Done.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Oddly enough the Vapes is smaller than the Commando. Like significantly.
Posted Image

#58 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:35 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 18 November 2018 - 07:22 PM, said:

... My 35 ton Wolfhound is eye level, cockpit to cockpit with the Awesome.

So is my Wolfhound super big? No, they made the Awesome the smallest assault in the game in a attempt to make up for the mech having the worse hitboxes in the game without having to remodel the entire mech on drasticly changing the hit box system.

The only reason the wolfhound makes up for it is having some serious armor quirks, take those away and its just another useless oversized light mech.

The vape should be only slightly bigger in size to the bushwacker x2 (same tons/agility, no armor quirks but has clan tech), which would put it at roughly the same height of the awesome.

Edited by Shanrak, 19 November 2018 - 04:35 AM.

#59 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:05 AM

The height would be alright if you could mount a sensible combination of weapons in the upper torsi mounts, but you cannot. There is not a single variant that allows two energy or two ballistic mounts in the upper location. Even on variants with energy hardpoints in both torsi, the best you can do is one up, one down. This means all you can reliably lob down range without exposing yourself is a PPC shot, an AC shell or missiles. Since the VGL is gigantic, it brawls poorly, so this is the most fire supporty 'Mech I've played so far. When I get into a brawl I have about the same level of fear as when my XL Grasshopper gets cornered.

#60 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:09 AM

lul at no comparison to the griffen or shadowhawk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users