Why Mw5 Will Be A Flop

172 replies to this topic

#121 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:58 AM

Watched the MW5 Gameplay per Twitch and mostly liked it - i think the game has much to go for it and the Approach to take the time needed only can help to live up its potential!

The Cubes were obviously amazing!

The Hangar looked amazing!

The Destruction of Objects was impressive!

The speed felt done right from watching.

Yet i agree in part to the OP - especially the LRM Gameplay was visually unimpressive and boring - do it at least like Batltetech where the LRM feels like a powerful weapon and not like Papergliders with a smoketrail (respectively without) !!!

The UI shows no sign of HTAL Damage indicators - you can even reimagine HTAL and Display it in the Mech Silhouette - Colour Blind support should be in from the start with an alternative UI Colour sheme.

RTX, DLSS will have no driving power for huge additional sales - hope you get paid well for it.

I am cautiously optimistic for the game (which is the most i will be for any game of any Dev).

Do it well and it will sell! Posted Image

Edited by Thorqemada, 05 December 2018 - 02:05 AM.

#122 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:28 AM

The LRMs could use a bit of speeding up, and maybe a bit more visual noise to the mech's movement, but other than that the game looked pretty good. Sure, there's some more things that need to be polished up, but I said it before when those first gameplay trailers came out and I'll say it again now. There's a lot of time between now and the game's release (which is currently set for September of next year). That means there is a lot of time for them to polish up maps, tone the visual noise, improve weapon visuals, etc. If the game still looks exactly like it does right now, the game still won't be that bad. But there's plenty of time for them to get the game up to "final release standards", and it's a bit unrealistic to expect it to be at those standards when there's almost a year between now and release day.

And again, the lack of arm/torso movement was because Russ was playing with a HOTAS. Without pedals, getting torso twisting to work is a little bit annoying, hence why a lot of old MW games had gimballed torso weapons so you could aim with a joystick easier.

#123 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:40 AM

Personally I hope it does fine so we can get more campaigns and clans (at least officially) into the game
And maybe more biomes and missions, just like Harebrained is doing

But the last info was that MW5 is very modable, including biomes.
That alone will make me buy it, and frankly I've never designed maps for a game, but a modern MW game letting you do that does get my interest.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the fans wouldn't try they're luck in recreating all previous MW campaigns using MW5 as a framework

All we need from PGI is not mess up the underlying game and maybe let them do what they do best, add mechs

I don't think a company who hasn't added any lore to its game, although you could just lazily copy and paste it from Sarna, since 2013 can come up with the most engaging story in a game yet.
But I don't think we need him to.

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 03 December 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

My issue is paying $60 for a mediocre 20 hours when I've payed from $30 to $0 for hundreds of good hours with other games. Why not just play more of those?

Look it also depends if you power through a campaign or take your time
You can power through battletech main campaign and be through really fast as well, or you take your time and enjoy the experience

Also if you have a problem paying full price then just wait until it drops in price or is on sale.

#124 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:44 AM

View PostAncientRaig, on 05 December 2018 - 05:28 AM, said:

The LRMs could use a bit of speeding up, and maybe a bit more visual noise to the mech's movement, but other than that the game looked pretty good. Sure, there's some more things that need to be polished up, but I said it before when those first gameplay trailers came out and I'll say it again now. There's a lot of time between now and the game's release (which is currently set for September of next year). That means there is a lot of time for them to polish up maps, tone the visual noise, improve weapon visuals, etc. If the game still looks exactly like it does right now, the game still won't be that bad. But there's plenty of time for them to get the game up to "final release standards", and it's a bit unrealistic to expect it to be at those standards when there's almost a year between now and release day.

And again, the lack of arm/torso movement was because Russ was playing with a HOTAS. Without pedals, getting torso twisting to work is a little bit annoying, hence why a lot of old MW games had gimballed torso weapons so you could aim with a joystick easier.

My only worrie is that PGI hasn't done anything for MWO for months, that's probably why we had neverending sales, and its going to be another year until MW5 drops (September if they really make it, but judging from the gaming industries it's more likely another push back is coming).

Will players keep on dumping money into MWO although development has stopped since Solaris to keep the lights on?
Even the FP changes are small and meaningless if MWO (and FP) does not get some dev resources.

Edited by Peter2k, 05 December 2018 - 07:44 AM.

#125 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:10 AM

By the Generic Mapmodule system we can build maps or own Mudules ? or only bring the Biome Modules in new Configurations for a map like Space Hulk.

and who is the Infantry from the Demolition mW5 trailer ? and makes the buildings by demolition later Damage ? and give it a Storyline ? and scripted Missions or only generic Shooting AI arena play?what is with the Logistic ?

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 05 December 2018 - 08:11 AM.

#126 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 05 December 2018 - 01:58 AM, said:

Watched the MW5 Gameplay per Twitch and mostly liked it - i think the game has much to go for it and the Approach to take the time needed only can help to live up its potential!

The Cubes were obviously amazing!

The Hangar looked amazing!

The Destruction of Objects was impressive!

The speed felt done right from watching.

Yet i agree in part to the OP - especially the LRM Gameplay was visually unimpressive and boring - do it at least like Batltetech where the LRM feels like a powerful weapon and not like Papergliders with a smoketrail (respectively without) !!!

The UI shows no sign of HTAL Damage indicators - you can even reimagine HTAL and Display it in the Mech Silhouette - Colour Blind support should be in from the start with an alternative UI Colour sheme.

RTX, DLSS will have no driving power for huge additional sales - hope you get paid well for it.

I am cautiously optimistic for the game (which is the most i will be for any game of any Dev).

Do it well and it will sell! Posted Image

mirrors my thoughts on the trailer. My lol moment came from watching that locust. No locust would ever go that slow in mwo without being one-shot-ted. It makes me wonder just what all mechs we can get in the game and use. I've seen the Cat K2 in its classic ppc build so there's mech number two I'd be after in the game besides the locust.

Sadly most games now put a lot of work into graphics and not so much core fun game play or story in single player games. I played Lucas Arts' Outlaws for the first time last night on my old laptop. I was blown away by the voice work,story telling of the hand and cg cut scenes and the intro credits. Visually the game is horrible by today's standards.

If pgi can get a decent writer or borrow one from hbs the game will be pretty good.

#127 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:54 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 03 December 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

I'm not happy with the fact there was no mechlab showcase.

Agree 100% PGI had a very big opportunity and pretty much this was the last big opportunity before release to advertise MW5. From all my asking of questions I believe you can only swap weapons around, ammo, and maybe heatsinks. Russ was very clear he wanted to keep the flavor of a variant.

But with mod support I will just inject the mech and builds I want anyway. So basically lost “good game brownie points” for Russ. I look at it this way. We finally get a real mech lab to walk around in and lose 3/4ths our customization options. One step forward and two steps back.

I was very disappointed with the info given out to the community. Talking to Alex did help me feel better about MW5 and it’s direction. Unfortunately the community is left in the dark after waiting for MechCon for info to get no info.

#128 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:52 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 05 December 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

mirrors my thoughts on the trailer. My lol moment came from watching that locust. No locust would ever go that slow in mwo without being one-shot-ted. It makes me wonder just what all mechs we can get in the game and use. I've seen the Cat K2 in its classic ppc build so there's mech number two I'd be after in the game besides the locust.

Sadly most games now put a lot of work into graphics and not so much core fun game play or story in single player games. I played Lucas Arts' Outlaws for the first time last night on my old laptop. I was blown away by the voice work,story telling of the hand and cg cut scenes and the intro credits. Visually the game is horrible by today's standards.

If pgi can get a decent writer or borrow one from hbs the game will be pretty good.

If you think games these days focus only on graphics to the detriment of gameplay and story, you might be playing the wrong games.

#129 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:03 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 05 December 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

My only worrie is that PGI hasn't done anything for MWO for months, that's probably why we had neverending sales, and its going to be another year until MW5 drops (September if they really make it, but judging from the gaming industries it's more likely another push back is coming).

Will players keep on dumping money into MWO although development has stopped since Solaris to keep the lights on?
Even the FP changes are small and meaningless if MWO (and FP) does not get some dev resources.

I have a feeling that PGI wouldn't be doing this if they didn't have the funding to keep going. MWO still brings in a decent amount of money from nostalgia hits and the more dedicated whales. The monthly patches are still coming, balance is being shifted a little bit here and there, etc. With the failure of Solaris I don't think we'll really be seeing anything "new and big" coming out of MWO until after MW5 releases.

View PostImperius, on 05 December 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

Agree 100% PGI had a very big opportunity and pretty much this was the last big opportunity before release to advertise MW5. From all my asking of questions I believe you can only swap weapons around, ammo, and maybe heatsinks. Russ was very clear he wanted to keep the flavor of a variant.

But with mod support I will just inject the mech and builds I want anyway. So basically lost “good game brownie points” for Russ. I look at it this way. We finally get a real mech lab to walk around in and lose 3/4ths our customization options. One step forward and two steps back.

I was very disappointed with the info given out to the community. Talking to Alex did help me feel better about MW5 and it’s direction. Unfortunately the community is left in the dark after waiting for MechCon for info to get no info.

Reducing the freedom of the mechlab isn't necessarily a bad thing. From what we've seen so far all we have access to is a Leopard, and those things are basically the dropship equivalent of a battle bus. Just about enough room to get you and your mechs to and from a planet, with just barely enough space to do basic maintenance and maybe patch up some battle damage. Making class F (aka "requires factory-level tooling") refits on a mech like swapping out its engine or internal structure would be impossible with the limited space and tooling inside one of those things.

He does make a decent point at least that not having the usual freeform mechlab does make acquiring variants more important. I'm not a fan of the idea of having no mechlab at all whatsoever, because I'd like to be able to at least change the ammo location on mechs with torso bombs like the Thunderbolt, but I'm equally not a fan of having access to a full freeform customization system if all you have is a Leopard. Maybe if you're on certain planets that have full refit facilities you could pay for temporary access to them in order to "go crazy" with your customization. Could be a good middle ground.

#130 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:20 AM

I FEAR, by the looks of the lates gameplay that the Immersion will be killed of and behave like a singel player MWO.
Seriously! The first videos of the SHadow hawk gameplay, the atlas gameplay.

The sounds of the stomps, the pacing of the steps, the OOOOMPHF were all there. The HUDs were nice to.
Im just awaiting excuses for "nerfing" the immersion aspects.
I dread the footstep clunking similar from MWO, which at least seemed to be present for the Thunderbolt, Russ piloted. Or at least for the Heavy mechs.

Wonder what the damnable excuse will be for changing something that really wasnt broken from the first gameplay of MW 5 or what fans wanted ( also, Russ is a mech fan, right? /s )

Werent Russ all about dreaming making the next pure non PVP mech game immersive? Someone pepper him with the MW 3 videos, because, even that I have barely played it. The immersive aspects of MW 3 were at its best!

Someone find or make comparison videos about the Thunderbolt from that MW5 gameplay to the one we have in MWO.

#Make Mech immersion great again!

Edited by Tordin, 05 December 2018 - 11:23 AM.

#131 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

They have a great opportunity to implement a really cool field salvage mechanic with novel aspects. Here’s to hoping it actually comes into play. I know a number of forumites would lap up weapons made by different manufacturers. That’s a whole dynamic to itself waiting to be utilized.
Otherwise, with the number of mechs available they will obviously refrain from throwing all the mechs in, besides some not fitting timeline wise, PGI will bank on future dlc undoubtedly ala MWO. That’s fine and we’ll buy don’t shrimp out on the actual content- storyline, user interface, good jump jets, weapon recoil, ability to actually pan and look at things in drop ship, and very very important this one- a goooood screenshot mode. Like filters, fov, depth of field, the works - if you are proud of your game and the work that’s gone into it, let us see and enjoy it.

Almost forgot, the most important one, if I shoot my lasers at the sun make it go kablooie

Edited by Jackal Noble, 05 December 2018 - 12:16 PM.

#132 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

PGI say clear not Mods support for Mods thats works to deep in the Main Game structur ...so no PvP ...no mechs (thats will PGI sell with packs) ...Im thinking we can play a little around with Biome Modules , Map Factors like weather and Temperatures , can bring missions to the Map (from a generic Mission list im think) ...thats all not really sounds like modsupport like Skyrim or Fallout 4 ...more for Modsupport like for Sony Console Games.

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 05 December 2018 - 12:50 PM.

#133 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:49 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 05 December 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

If you think games these days focus only on graphics to the detriment of gameplay and story, you might be playing the wrong games.

I could be. Right now I'm using a laptop since my pc died and i'm buying the parts to build a new one as funds allow. It really sucks when the most you have to video graphics is a mobile inter 4 serieschipset with a 2.0gig cpu with only 4 gig system ram. Other than emulation of snes/genesis my gaming options are quite limited until three-four months into 2019 when I get the rest of the components to rebuild my pc.

#134 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:56 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 01 December 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

Having played a few mech games over the years, namely:
Cresents Hawks Revenge, MW2, MW2:Merc, MW3, MW4:Mercs, MW4, MechCommander, MechCommander 2, MWO, plus a couple of hundred games in the BattleTech pods... and having recently reviewed video of what they actually look like versus my rose coloured memories, I am pretty happy with how MW5 looks.

I tried to replay MW4:Mercs earlier this year and realised just how 2002 it looks and feels.

MW5 is a huge leap forward from any of the above. Yeah, it isn't FarCry 5 visuals. It looked damned good for a MW game though and I am happy with that aspect. I assume the gameplay will have strong similarities to MWO, just with less nascar.

Exactly.

Peeps keep talking about spud AI, but all previous MW titles had spud AI. I'm just looking forward to a more immersive MW/BT game, and I really hope the storyline turns out well.

View PostAsym, on 02 December 2018 - 06:16 AM, said:

That's it? That's about as innovative as the simplicity of the VW Beetle.... The storyline is the IP and of all of the tied concepts, Mercenaries avoids the actual storyline......IS versus Clan. It fit yet another niche and we went there in MW4.

I mean, the title was MW5: Mercenaries, so IDK what you were expecting.

View PostHumble Dexter, on 02 December 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

Quote : "as Garden takes great pains to emphasise, in the final game the player’s particular flavour of mayhem will reflect back on their mercenary unit, factoring into which missions they take to how they target enemies.".

So on the one side, MW5 won't remove your freedom to totally trash everything in sight...

But on the other side, factions will start hating you and singling you at an enemy of the state, if you keep doing too much civilian damage to their faction.

And I wouldn't have it another way.

The point is that, during the mission, the townsfolk are fawning over the PC having saved them and their settlement despite the PC leveling half the town, and then the Mission Summary gives a perfect score.

Long-term effects are great, but I really hope in the final product the NPCs won't be congratulating in this particular situation. It was utterly absurd--I kept laughing during the closing dialogue becuase it was so incongruous with what actually happened.

#135 Diptoman Mukherjee

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:09 PM

Hey guys - I'm a technical designer on MW5, thought I'd clear up some misconceptions in this thread about the game.

"Hopefully they do provide the modding support they promised"
- As far as I'm aware you guys will have access to all the tools we as designers have access to, and some which we made (like the mission creator, destructible building BPs etc.) in addition to data files/the other usual moddable stuff. You can do a helluva lot with this. Posted Image

"You can walk through a building like a football player bursts through a paper banner."
- So we actually had resistance in the game before ('slowfields' as we call it). A few of us thought that while it made logical sense, it didn't "feel good" as far as gameplay was concerned - which is why we wanted to test out how it felt by completely removing it. We'll be iterating on this (with different values etc.) now that we have more feedback from Mech Con (plus comments), so I'd say current footage isn't an indication of the final product.

"No penalty for destroying friendly buildings"
- If you guys noticed on the showcased video, the "Defend The Farm" objective actually had a building counter - and the mission would've failed if that reached zero. We could of course do more - possibly direct in-game feedback, and in terms of faction reputation, and will be looking into that once other priorities are done.

Concerns about AI
- The AI is already in a much better state than what was shown, but we tuned it way down for the demo - since we didn't want people to die constantly in the demo (you'd be surprised how many people died or came close to dying even with those difficulty settings while playing). Having said that, there are lots of room for improvement of course, and we have people working on AI all the time to achieve that (be it how they act their roles, respond to threats, navigate, their prioritizations etc.) Posted Image

No Mechlab
- There is a Mech Lab. I can't talk about details yet, but you guys should be getting details when it's ready.

#136 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:12 PM

View PostDiptoman Mukherjee, on 06 December 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

Hey guys - I'm a technical designer on MW5, thought I'd clear up some misconceptions in this thread about the game.

- As far as I'm aware you guys will have access to all the tools we as designers have access to, and some which we made (like the mission creator, destructible building BPs etc.) in addition to data files/the other usual moddable stuff. You can do a helluva lot with this. Posted Image

"You can walk through a building like a football player bursts through a paper banner."
- So we actually had resistance in the game before ('slowfields' as we call it). A few of us thought that while it made logical sense, it didn't "feel good" as far as gameplay was concerned - which is why we wanted to test out how it felt by completely removing it. We'll be iterating on this (with different values etc.) now that we have more feedback from Mech Con (plus comments), so I'd say current footage isn't an indication of the final product.

- If you guys noticed on the showcased video, the "Defend The Farm" objective actually had a building counter - and the mission would've failed if that reached zero. We could of course do more - possibly direct in-game feedback, and in terms of faction reputation, and will be looking into that once other priorities are done.

Concerns about AI
- The AI is already in a much better state than what was shown, but we tuned it way down for the demo - since we didn't want people to die constantly in the demo (you'd be surprised how many people died or came close to dying even with those difficulty settings while playing). Having said that, there are <em>lots</em> of room for improvement of course, and we have people working on AI all the time to achieve that (be it how they act their roles, respond to threats, navigate, their prioritizations etc.) Posted Image

No Mechlab
- There is a Mech Lab. I can't talk about details yet, but you guys should be getting details when it's ready.

This is good info. Thanks. I really hope the mechlab is at least as comprehensive as MWO's, but who knows.

#137 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

- So we actually had resistance in the game before ('slowfields' as we call it). A few of us thought that while it made logical sense, it didn't &quot;feel good&quot; as far as gameplay was concerned - which is why we wanted to test out how it felt by completely removing it. We'll be iterating on this (with different values etc.) now that we have more feedback from Mech Con (plus comments), so I'd say current footage isn't an indication of the final product.

Concerns about AI
- The AI is already in a much better state than what was shown, but we tuned it way down for the demo - since we didn't want people to die constantly in the demo (you'd be surprised how many people died or came close to dying even with those difficulty settings while playing). Having said that, there are lots of room for improvement of course, and we have people working on AI all the time to achieve that (be it how they act their roles, respond to threats, navigate, their prioritizations etc.) Posted Image

No Mechlab

I greatly appreciate your sharing this with us.

Edited by Appogee, 06 December 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#138 PyreLlght

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:44 PM

Concerns about AI

No Mechlab

Thank you so much for sharing

#139 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:19 PM

Concerns about AI

No Mechlab

Fan-friggin-tastic, and I mean that sincerely!

#140 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Diptoman thats you sharing infomation with us ...sad and a shame thats the Devs infos like thats not can bring by the Mech Con ..clear words!and you bring more Hope for the Future and MW5 as the Staffs in the full Year.Why Infos like thats not to find of the mW5 Facebook or Twitter HP ?

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 06 December 2018 - 07:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users